HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The shift towards North American style

Old
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
The shift towards North American style

anyone else noticing the play on the ice just coming around to a more NA style the past few weeks. With guys like Christensen, Prust, Shelly etc. stepping up in the big games the team appears to be finding some sort of identity beyond Hank and Gabby...

04-08-2010, 10:40 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
if this north american style is how the rangers have been playing in the past 10 or so games, im all for it

im also all for resigning prust

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:50 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

It's sad that it took them an entire season to figure out the simple fact that they don't have enough skill or talent to create offense without being physical about it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Cmox

Now if only they can play good against teams not in last place or fighting for a playoff spot.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:04 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
anyone else noticing the play on the ice just coming around to a more NA style the past few weeks. With guys like Christensen, Prust, Shelly etc. stepping up in the big games the team appears to be finding some sort of identity beyond Hank and Gabby...
I don't see any change other than Henrik is playing well. Should he have done that all season, like I was calling it for, we could have clinched the playoffs long ago. Yes they score, but not on hot goalies. And when Lundqvist is at his regular level or less, they lose regardless of what our scorers origin was.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:05 PM
The Mouth

id like to see them go Euro and see two hatricks from Gabby the next two games.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I actually havent noticed that. I've noticed the team playing better, but when it comes to the type of system theyre playing, well, I havent been able to pinpoint that the entire year.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:46 PM
polako

Give me the pretty Euro puck possession game of Jags-Nylander-Straka any day of the week.

That said, as long as they are winning, they could play with 4 defensemen out there for all I care.

Should be a fun end to the season. LGR

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 03:59 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I don't see any change other than Henrik is playing well. Should he have done that all season, like I was calling it for, we could have clinched the playoffs long ago. Yes they score, but not on hot goalies. And when Lundqvist is at his regular level or less, they lose regardless of what our scorers origin was.
I do see the change. Could be the same system but with these pieces just better at executing the physical.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:04 PM
ThirdEye

Honestly, I think it's just a bunch of third/fourth liners overachieving like crazy. There is no way in hell Prust/Shelly/Christensen can play like this an entire season. Luckily they picked the right time to contribute

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:13 PM
In The Flesh

The Euro experiment has for the most part failed here. NA style better be here to stay.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
The Euro experiment has for the most part failed here. NA style better be here to stay.
Yea I agree been screaming for the change for a long time

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

about time. i'm so sick of Euro hockey. I don't care how pretty it can be, it doesn't win us games. Bring the punishment!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:33 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Grinders and hard workers wont get you past the likes of Washington and Pittsburgh. We need these Euro snipers and danglers with natural skill to put us in contention. Gaborik can't do it alone.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 07:23 PM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
about time. i'm so sick of Euro hockey. I don't care how pretty it can be, it doesn't win us games. Bring the punishment!
Tell that to Detroit.

Truth is, no one style is better than the other. If you have the right players, in the right form, and in the right mindset, and with the right tactics, you are going to win.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Honestly, I think it's just a bunch of third/fourth liners overachieving like crazy. There is no way in hell Prust/Shelly/Christensen can play like this an entire season. Luckily they picked the right time to contribute
The mere fact that people have to always make points to say 3 or 4 liners overachieving gets me P.O. Yea so what they are 3rd liners but teams that win cups have great 3rd lines, The fact the Rangers skill guys are free to roam is the change in attitude. Voros, Avery, Dubi, PRust, Shelley have made others play bigger and know they are protected,I hate torts more then underwear on Christmas but he is pushing the right buttons and the change in the team is for the better. We are a banger short on the blue line from being taken serious

Old
04-08-2010, 09:11 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Tell that to Detroit.

Truth is, no one style is better than the other.
This...

Have to play with the right system for the right players. Have the right players for the right system.... it really all boils down to the team finding itself and its chemistry. We see this Prust AA Shelly line playing with chemistry. AA is not North American, but that line plays like it and they can be dangerous with the puck for sure.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Yea I agree been screaming for the change for a long time
Screaming like Hacksaw Jim Duggan?

Wait, are you telling me you would have ever gone for anything Euro?

94now, everything is Henrik's fault, gotcha.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:50 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The mere fact that people have to always make points to say 3 or 4 liners overachieving gets me P.O. Yea so what they are 3rd liners but teams that win cups have great 3rd lines, The fact the Rangers skill guys are free to roam is the change in attitude. Voros, Avery, Dubi, PRust, Shelley have made others play bigger and know they are protected,I hate torts more then underwear on Christmas but he is pushing the right buttons and the change in the team is for the better. We are a banger short on the blue line from being taken serious
you absolutely need a good 3rd and 4th line to win a cup

but you also need good top lines and real offensive talent...something we come up short on

their called "overachieving 3rd and 4th liners" because they are bottom line players who are forced to step up and play a bigger role in the team's offense

it can work for a short period of time...but the longevity just isnt there...players like Prust, Avery, or even Voros could get hot for a few games but they'll never play a full season at that pace

no ones saying that the 3rd liners are the problem, its the non-existant 1st and 2nd liners that are the problem

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Thats pretty funny, considering the Rangers have been most successful in the post lockout era playing more of a Euro style.

Maybe the North American style entertains you more, but the results have been ****.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Dagoon44

This is one of the first teams the rangers have had that looks like a north/south team. Neved and the cechs. Then Jagr and the Cechs. Then Russians and this year early a total mix. The North American style is Torts having grinders and him trying to make it work. the redwings won on talent not because of the Euro style. They had a amazing team. The ducks won with a North American style as well as the Devils

Old
04-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's sad that it took them an entire season to figure out the simple fact that they don't have enough skill or talent to create offense without being physical about it.
Like this post, Sting.

Aside from Gaborik and Christensen, a lot of our players offense is directly correlated with strong play along the boards, muscling off the puck, and crashing the net at the right times. Players like Callahan, Dubisnky, Drury, Avery, and Prust are perfect examples of this.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:08 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Like this post, Sting.

Aside from Gaborik and Christensen, a lot of our players offense is directly correlated with strong play along the boards, muscling off the puck, and crashing the net at the right times. Players like Callahan, Dubisnky, Drury, Avery, and Prust are perfect examples of this.
and the problem with that is most of those players do not have the strength or puck handleing abilities to consistantly produce playing that sort of game

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:19 PM
BobSantos

"Euro Style"? Oh, like all players must have flock-of-seagulls hair, a Campari held in hand with a pinky out and tight jeans. Oh, now I get it.

Anyway, my point is just that it seems that despite the post-Jagr era being dominated by players who are either fully American or who have played for substantial amounts of their lives in the NHL our team has played carry the puck perimeter hockey. That's a strategy. Euro and NA have nothing to do with it. Gomez. American. Drury. American. Etc.

I mean, after all, the best scorer in Ranger's history is Jagr. Doesn't that just say enough about the whole "euro" vs. "na" thing? Can't we put it to bed?

If you are seeing a change in strategy, hey, maybe it has something to do with coaching?

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:55 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

94now, everything is Henrik's fault, gotcha.
Yep, first off he is a Euro...

Now, seriously, the division of NA and Euro style is legitimate. What is wrong is to automatically assume a Czech as Euro style player or Canadian - NA style. Here the examples of the crossover:

TGO - Euro
Malkin - NA
Ovie - NA
Crosby - Euro
Ulfie - NA
Tikkanen - NA
Thornton - Euro

The reason for NYR switching to NA style is only one - Torts. He likes Euros, but cannot coach them. Hence, he does what he can to keep his job.

That being siad, I still think the reason for current streak is two fold:
1. Favorable schedule
2. Lundqvist improvement

Last edited by 94now: 04-09-2010 at 02:20 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote