HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal - Edmonton

Old
04-09-2010, 11:23 AM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
Montreal - Edmonton

Montreal

Gomez

for

Edmonton

Horcoff
3rd round pick'10

Montreal gets a player with size to fill the second line role. Gomez puts up numbers far exceeding Horcoff's numbers. Montreal at this pont needs so banging bodies to go up front. Horcoff plays with a grittiness to his game and plays in the dirty areas. His numbers have dropped drastically this year, plus with another rebuilding season on the way, he might not be putting up 50 points against anytime soon. This deal helps the Habs bring in a big body who would play the second line, who I think would play well with Cammalleri.

Edmonton gets a number one center, who is a playmaker which could work out well with Hemsky. He puts up decent numbers each year and has less time on his contract by a year compared to Horcoff.

The deal helps both teams in wants and needs I find, as well it works capwise.

Last edited by BigHabs: 04-09-2010 at 11:48 AM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:30 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
Montreal

Gomez
Halak
Weber

for

Edmonton

Horcoff
Cogliano
2nd round pick'10
Are you ****in crazy?

You want to trade one of the worst contract in the league (Gomez) for the worst contract in the league (Horcoff)?

Cogliano is the LAST thing we need on the Habs...

The only "valuable" asset in this deal from the Oilers is their 2nd round pick but there's NO WAY I would trade Halak and Weber in such a poor trade.

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Horcoff and Gomez are interesting components to consider swapping. I feel like Gomez is a slightly better player overall, but maybe I'm wrong. He certainly brings an element of speed and creativity that we need up front, and without a really big name #1 center ahead of him, his productivity is a good complement to Plekanec for us. I'd be more worried about Horcoff's ability to produce looking ahead. That said, Horcoff is bigger and should be a better defensive player too, right? Maybe we could find a way to turn his lower cap hit and his size into advantages for us if there was a deal "centered" on these two players.

But let's forget about the rest of it. Halak is too valuable to us for the rest of the equation to be considered. Cogliano is just not a player that we have any room for.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Horcoff and Gomez are interesting components to consider swapping. I feel like Gomez is a slightly better player overall, but maybe I'm wrong. He certainly brings an element of speed and creativity that we need up front, and without a really big name #1 center ahead of him, his productivity is a good complement to Plekanec for us. I'd be more worried about Horcoff's ability to produce looking ahead. That said, Horcoff is bigger and should be a better defensive player too, right? Maybe we could find a way to turn his lower cap hit and his size into advantages for us if there was a deal "centered" on these two players.

But let's forget about the rest of it. Halak is too valuable to us for the rest of the equation to be considered. Cogliano is just not a player that we have any room for.
So possibly:

Gomez

for

Horcoff and a mid pick maybe

I just can picture Horcoff and Cammalleri working well on a line in my opinon.

Cammalleri Horcoff Gionta
A.Kostitsyn Plekanec Pouliot
Moen Moore S.Kostitsyn
Pacioretty Lapierre Pyatt

ex. Maxwell

It would look nice, plus there would be possibilities of more bigger bodies coming in during free agency. Because we don't know if Moore would be back ,but that 3rd line has been stellar I find. Plekanec is more than likely going to resign. Metro and Laraque are both gone. Hamr might be a possiblity of a mover as he only has 1 year left. Rumors too saying we are interest in Rynnas the goalie, hinting possible goalie movement this summer between Price and Halak. Just looks like it would be a better step for us to take to make our team move offensively tough. Rather than offensively passive and not able to dominate down low.

Last edited by BigHabs: 04-09-2010 at 11:46 AM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
So possibly:

Gomez

for

Horcoff and a mid pick maybe
Honestly I think the Oilers take a pass. Gomez is almost $2 million more in cap hit over Horcoff, and Horcoff actually has started to find his game in Edmonton since the trade deadline.

The Oilers probably need a player of his type (2-way center over 6 feet tall) than another small-ish offensive center.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:43 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
I take Gomez everyday of the week before Horcoff

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:49 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
I take Gomez everyday of the week before Horcoff
Same here... I feel like this thread is a late April fools...

Old
04-09-2010, 11:51 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Honestly I think the Oilers take a pass. Gomez is almost $2 million more in cap hit over Horcoff, and Horcoff actually has started to find his game in Edmonton since the trade deadline.

The Oilers probably need a player of his type (2-way center over 6 feet tall) than another small-ish offensive center.
Sure, 2 inches and 2 pounds make such a BIG difference...!

Old
04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
TheCH*

Gomez for Horcoff is no dice for Montreal.

Gomez's cap hit is higher, but Gomez is the better player. Also, Horcoff has 5 years of crazy cap hit left, Gomez will be off the books a year earlier.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

This comparison really brings home how poor is the Horcoff contract, because the deal on which Gomez is currently playing isn't pretty. This is no contest, however. Horcoff is saddled with the worse contract.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:57 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Gomez for Horcoff is no dice for Montreal.

Gomez's cap hit is higher, but Gomez is the better player. Also, Horcoff has 5 years of crazy cap hit left, Gomez will be off the books a year earlier.
Gomez is also 1+ year younger.

Old
04-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Seachd

I don't see how getting Gomez is worth the extra $2 million cap hit for Edmonton.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:05 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I don't see how getting Gomez is worth the extra $2 million cap hit for Edmonton.
Because Gomez is by far a better player and he brings more to the game!?

I'm obviously a Habs fan first but the Oilers are my second favourite team. I watch them quite often and there's no possible way I would take Horcoff off their hands.

Old
04-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Because Gomez is by far a better player and he brings more to the game!?

I'm obviously a Habs fan first but the Oilers are my second favourite team. I watch them quite often and there's no possible way I would take Horcoff off their hands.
That's great, but how good is he going to be when the Oilers are ready to compete?

These are long term contracts, so just looking at who brings more to the game isn't very useful.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
That's great, but how good is he going to be when the Oilers are ready to compete?

These are long term contracts, so just looking at who brings more to the game isn't very useful.
Yeah it is a pointless trade for both teams.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:15 PM
CupofOil

Bad trade for the Habs...... Say that the Gomez and Horcoff contracts offset since Gomez is a better player right now but also has the bigger cap hit so they offset. It's basically Halak and Weber for the 31st pick and Cogliano...... The Habs don't have a need for Cogs so the 31st pick would be the only worthwhile asset going to them while the Oilers get their goalie of the future and a pretty decent defenseman prospect.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:19 PM
nvan97

I think that Horcoff is still experiencing some effects of that shoulder surgery that ended his season prematurely a couple of years ago. He is a notoriously strong faceoff guy and has been brutal this season and he has taken about 50-60 less shots than usual which translates to around 6 extra goals. I think those combined with no Hemsky means that his value is criminally low right now. There is very little you could conceivable acquire for Horcoff that would be worth it right now.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:26 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:

More than 1 year younger with 1 year less on his contract.

I'm not saying the Oilers should do it or not. One thing is for sure, the Habs should NOT do it!

Old
04-09-2010, 12:31 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I would pass on that from an Oilers perspective. We are not looking to take on more cap hit. Not only that, but I think Gomez's game is better suited for the Eastern Conference, and would put up worse numbers in the West.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Cropduster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDman View Post
I would pass on that from an Oilers perspective. We are not looking to take on more cap hit. Not only that, but I think Gomez's game is better suited for the Eastern Conference, and would put up worse numbers in the West.
Horcoffs got 16pts in his last 20 games and he's a +4. Once he started getting cortisone shots for his shoulder and got some (slightly) better line mates he's played much better.

He's had a bad season but management won't give up on him, if only to prove themselves right. He did play well in the cup run so unless he has another bad season they wont trade him for a different negative value contract.

Cropduster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:10 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropduster1 View Post
Horcoffs got 16pts in his last 20 games and he's a +4. Once he started getting cortisone shots for his shoulder and got some (slightly) better line mates he's played much better.

He's had a bad season but management won't give up on him, if only to prove themselves right. He did play well in the cup run so unless he has another bad season they wont trade him for a different negative value contract.
Of course they won't since nobody would take him.

Horcoff has the worst contract in the entire NHL.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Akonite

Quote:

Meh. IMO i say it's second worst. Redden's 6.5 cap hit is ridiculous.

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:

nobody would take him?....are you sure?
cuz I know of one team that was dumb enough to take Gomez and, IMO, his worst contract in the entire NHL.

The Oilers would be foolish to do that trade...get rid of Horcoff + a mid round pick to bring in more salary for a rebuild.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:54 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom foolery View Post
nobody would take him?....are you sure?
cuz I know of one team that was dumb enough to take Gomez and, IMO, his worst contract in the entire NHL.

The Oilers would be foolish to do that trade...get rid of Horcoff + a mid round pick to bring in more salary for a rebuild.
Gomez > Horcoff not even close

Gomez is also 1 year younger and has 1 less year on his contract

Like I said earlier, I'm not there to determine if the Oilers would do it or not. The point is that the Habs would DEFINITELY not touch this deal.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:55 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonite View Post
Meh. IMO i say it's second worst. Redden's 6.5 cap hit is ridiculous.
At least they can place him on waivers and send him to the minors...
*EDIT : Nvm, for some reason I thought that Horcoff had a NMC but it looks like that it is a NTC.

But I agree that if we are talking about the cap hit vs the quality of the player, Redden has the worst contract.