HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Q&A with Jimmy Hayes

Old
04-09-2010, 02:07 AM
facey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiff17 View Post
which means he's on pace, in his senior year to project about 40 gp 25 g 32 a 57 pts... great college numbers . .

Just some comparisons of other NHLers Senior year in College: Parise- 55 pts
Kessel- 51 pts
Kesler- 31 pts
Van Riemsdyk (who Hayes will probably be like the most out of the list) 40 pts in his 2nd season in College) and he is a top prospect,

Start thinking JVR when talking about Hayes, we have one, Hayes should start being talked about more
what formula did you project his points with?

are you talking high school seniors?

cause thats def not their NCAA senior years.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un33q View Post
like the way he attacks the net
wish he was cdn
I don't give a **** if he's Martian as long as he can play the game.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 06:31 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persuasion View Post
There is no way the NCAA is a far higher level than the CHL. The CHL vs NCAA is a major debate in the world of hockey and there is a pretty lengthy thread on the prospects board IIRC.
How about we say that NCAA is equal to the CHL.... However, the fact that NCAA games have college bands that play during every goal and commercials (etc.) would make it much more entertaining to watch . I love hearing pep rally bands.

edit: I poorly worded this

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Delayed Offside

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
Little bit confused here. Are you saying college hockey isn't as good as junior hockey? NCAA is a far higher level of hockey than something like major junior. Alot has to do with age, but in terms of which is higher, it is college by a longshot.
i don't believe that... while age makes a difference (obviously), the game itself is not as good...

the CHL game is closer to the NHL game (with some changes) and I feel that better prepares players for the jump to the NHL while the rules of the NCAA game don't fully prepare players.

I'm not saying the NCAA game is bad by any means, it's great hockey to watch but it's not at the same level

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Dark Passenger

I like this kids potential, mainly due to the fact he is exactly what we need. Our PP has been rotten lately, and our biggest weakness is having a big forward who can get to the net and tip pucks, and also can protect the puck well along the boards.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Angry Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delayed Offside View Post
i don't believe that... while age makes a difference (obviously), the game itself is not as good...

the CHL game is closer to the NHL game (with some changes) and I feel that better prepares players for the jump to the NHL while the rules of the NCAA game don't fully prepare players.

I'm not saying the NCAA game is bad by any means, it's great hockey to watch but it's not at the same level
This. I agree that the CHL game is closer to the NHL game and so better for development. I also personally believe the skill level of the CHL is slightly higher, I'll take the top 10 CHL players over the top 10 NCAA players anyday of the week.

On the topic of Hayes, if he's grown up and is over his hot-dogging and taunting (see Canada-US WJC 2008) then I can't wait to see himin the NHL.

Angry Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Casey Ryback

Interesting that the Leafs have not been in contact with him. I wonder which prospects/caliber of prospects NHL teams keep in contact with on a regular basis.

Casey Ryback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:37 PM
facey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
Interesting that the Leafs have not been in contact with him. I wonder which prospects/caliber of prospects NHL teams keep in contact with on a regular basis.
Burke has addressed this before.

It's considered taboo to remaining in contact with prospects before they are truly yours, they are already being coached, trained, & critiqued by their actual coaches & GM's... and in all but extreme situations faith is shown there.

now there are situations where the GM knows the lower-level coach, as in Burke with the Hunters, and he asked permission to speak with Kadri, and made sure their messages were in line... however Boston College is THE program to beat.

IMO there is improvement to be made in the information sharing between lower level clubs, the prospects, and the NHL clubs... but there are cultural norms, ego's, and a fear of changes standing in the way-> this system really is an old boys club.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
MLHS Joe C

The NCAA also has a habit of threatening to deny NCAA eligibility if players talk to NHL teams too much. NCAA is a bit crazy like that.

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:14 PM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post

Did I say high school anywhere? So no, obviously I'm not talking hs. . .

It represented their last year played in College

MrPiff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:34 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delayed Offside View Post

I see what you mean. I took it differently than you posted. I also agree that the CHL is like a mini-NHL in terms of number of games, style of play etc and is thus probably the best non-pro league to develop players for the NHL. In terms of development, I also feel that the CHL is the best development league. In terms of watching, I also prefer the style of the CHL to that of NCAA.

I was more looking at it as NCAA has older, stronger players and thus more difficult to put up numbers (along with the style).

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:34 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasFrogren View Post
The NCAA also has a habit of threatening to deny NCAA eligibility if players talk to NHL teams too much. NCAA is a bit crazy like that.
That's probably the case and the coach in college certainly isn't going to want to jeopardize a player's eligibility for that reason. As Hayes said the Leafs prospect orientation most likely addressed issues with him.

I know that Dallas Eakins and Peter Ihnacak worked with Korbinian Holzer in Germany since he was drafted and they are working with Kadri so it is probably not because of them that Hayes has been left alone.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:47 PM
facey

Quote:
Did I say high school anywhere? So no, obviously I'm not talking hs. . .

It represented their last year played in College
you called them senior years... when it was in fact all of those players 17/18 year old season, which is the age of a high school senior... not that of a college senior... and all of those players would DESTROY the NCAA had they stayed even 2-3 more season, yet alone the 4 to their senior years.

Quote:
Phil Kessel
Center
Born Oct 2 1987 -- Madison, WI
Height 6.00 -- Weight 189 -- Shoots R
2005-06 U. of Minnesota -> 18G, 51PTS, in 39GP

Quote:
Zach Parise
Center
Born Jul 28 1984 -- Minneapolis, MN
Height 5.11 -- Weight 185
2002-03 U. of North Dakota, 26G, 61PTS in 39PTS

Quote:
James Van Riemsdyk
Left Wing
Born May 4 1989 -- Middletown, NJ
Height 6.03 -- Weight 190 -- Shoots L
2007-08 U. of New Hampshire, 11G, 34PTS in 31 GP

I'm sorry, but calling that their senior seasons is just wrong.... They hadn't even been drafted yet... hell, THIS year would be Kessel's senior season, and he's got back-to-back 30G NHL campaigns under his belt (despite a bought with cancer & shoulder surgery).

Old
04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
facey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
That's probably the case and the coach in college certainly isn't going to want to jeopardize a player's eligibility for that reason. As Hayes said the Leafs prospect orientation most likely addressed issues with him.

I know that Dallas Eakins and Peter Ihnacak worked with Korbinian Holzer in Germany since he was drafted and they are working with Kadri so it is probably not because of them that Hayes has been left alone.

burke has said that talking with Kadri 1 time was a very special case, and he made sure to compliment the Hunters & double check that he was not stepping on toes.

I'm not familiar with the Holzer case, however I've chatted with Kristo regarding the habs approach to him, schorder's parents regarding the canucks approach to him, and Jerry D'amgio about the leafs, edit: & the wings with tatar

Dany said his agent & the Habs head of scouting (he said the name) keep in touch, but that he was simply told to add on weight and have a good year, and they'll talk afterwards.

Jordan HATED his college coach and the situaiton he was in, the canucks requested he stay there until end of the season, and then he'd join the moose (they had a billet family arranged months in advance) & his dad said he and the vancouver scouts watched many of jordans game's together.

Jerry was much less serious, said he chatted with Nonis on a few occasion, said since the leafs drafted him everyone in the hockey world knows who he is, and when i wished him luck next year, he said he's not even sure if he'd be going to camp.

Tommy Tatar (guy is awesome btw) said detroit was very involved with his training, conditioning, and development. However the commitment of the non-fin, non-swede euro's is WAY behind that of the North Americans, i'd wager thats a part of the extra attention. He was keen to work on both his english, and about his yearning (his word) to play in in NHL.

WJC was one of the coolest experiences.... i'll likely make the trek to buffalo, however i imagine in the big city the atmosphere will be way different then in sask.

Old
04-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post

Yeah, Kessel was there for only 1 season, and that was before his draft year. I think he's talking their last seasons in the NCAA (only season?).

Either way, I still really like Hayes as a prospect, and if he can continue to improve next season, he'll be a Marlie in 2011, and probably take a similar route as Stalberg (without starting the year with the big club).

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:13 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

How about this comparison of similarly sized players:

AgePlayerYearTeamGamesGoalsAssistsPointsPiMs
19Hayes2008-09Boston College36851322
19Wheeler2005-06U. of Minnesota399142341
20Hayes2009-10Boston College4113213414
20Wheeler2006-07U. of Minnesota4418203842
21Wheeler2007-08U. of Minnesota4415203572
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=78686
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=110949

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Hayes wil be an excellent payer, great pick by the Leafs brass. . .

He will be a Hobey Candidate in 2 years, watch,

He will be no less than a 2nd line forward for us in about 4 years (2 more at Boston Colege, and 2 more on the Marlies)

He's aready on a point per game pace in his sophmore year,

which means he's on pace, in his senior year to project about 40 gp 25 g 32 a 57 pts... great college numbers . .

Just some comparisons of other NHLers Senior year in College: Parise- 55 pts
Kessel- 51 pts
Kesler- 31 pts
Van Riemsdyk (who Hayes will probably be like the most out of the list) 40 pts in his 2nd season in College) and he is a top prospect,

In Hayes 2nd year this year in College he had 32 points,

Not far behind Van Riemsdyk who went 2nd overall, they're the same age and Hayes can turn into a steal for us from the 2nd round , i'm happy we picked him

Start thinking JVR when talking about Hayes, we have one, Hayes should start being talked about more
Settle down now. I'm a BC season ticket holder and love what Hayes has done over the 2nd half of this season, but I'd imagine he plays one more year at BC with his brother Kevin coming in next year. He will never be a Hobey candidate, but if he keeps progressing like he is, you guys will be extremely happy.

The most underrated part of his game is that he's a terrific penalty killer on a team known for having smaller, quicker guys in that role.

Hayes doesn't project as a top six NHL forward IMO, but certainly has the ability to complement a roster on a 3rd/4th line.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote