HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Alexei Kovalev...Out 4 months?!?!?!?!?!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!

Old
04-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
I'd say the injury looked pretty serious. The hit was fine, it's just the way he hit the boards.
Either his ankle or his knee, either way he ain't going to be playing much hockey for a while.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

vCash: 500
na na naaaa na, na na naaaa na, hey hey hey, gooodbye....

oh right, i forgot he plays for us now.

EDIT: too bad too. he had 5 shots half way through the game and was playing one of his best in a long time. the injury didn't look good.

Last edited by Icelevel: 04-08-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Looked like he was getting carried down the tunnel. Seems pretty serious.

It gets even worse when you realize this may pave the way for Cheechoo's glorious return.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
SNAPshot

We can really use him in the playoffs, hopefully he's not out too long. Let's not forget that he's still a threat that other teams need to respect and who knows what side of him we'd see in the playoffs.

Fingers crossed...

SNAPshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:20 PM
utah

There are No shootouts in the playoffs. I think the Sens will be fine, if his injury is serious.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Stylizer1

vCash: 50
He will play.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:27 PM
salomonster

Hard work beats out talent when talent doesn't work hard enough.... and is hurt.

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:47 PM
pt_mck

I'd rather have Kovalev than Michalek for the playoffs.

don't agree? ask any sharks fan.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

Traditionally Kovalev raises his game in the playoffs. Even if he doesn't he's still a threat that makes decisions difficult for the coaching staff. He opens up ice for his linemates, and draws better checkers making it easier for other lines to produce.

If Kovalev misses playoff time it is a huge blow to ottawa's chances.

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

holy **** i got my avatar back! Hooray!

Old
04-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Traditionally Kovalev raises his game in the playoffs. Even if he doesn't he's still a threat that makes decisions difficult for the coaching staff. He opens up ice for his linemates, and draws better checkers making it easier for other lines to produce.

It really isn't, this team has shown it's more then capable of beating good teams with Kovalev being nonexistent on the ice.

If Kovalev doesn't play do we really have to hear endless talk of Kovalev's mythical playoff prowess everyday? The fact he won a Stanley Cup 16 years ago really means nothing to me, that was eons ago.

The guy has shown no effort since the Olympics, I"m really not surprised he got hurt tonight, he's 37 and tried to turn it on after floating game after game for weeks. Innocent enough play, but he hasn't looked too strong or fit for a while now.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

I think I hear something coming... What's that noise? Listen closely!

TRAIN TRAIN CHEECHOO TRAIN, THE SENS ARE GONNA WIN THIS GAME!

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:38 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonster View Post
Hard work beats out talent when talent doesn't work hard enough.... and is hurt.
we have enough hard workers in our bottom 6 who dont have a ton of skill.

I will take the skill thanks

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
He'll be ready, guys. He's going to want to prove everyone wrong. You'll see. This is one Russian bum that I've trusted since day one, and everyone will see.

Kovie!

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:54 AM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
It really isn't, this team has shown it's more then capable of beating good teams with Kovalev being nonexistent on the ice.

If Kovalev doesn't play do we really have to hear endless talk of Kovalev's mythical playoff prowess everyday? The fact he won a Stanley Cup 16 years ago really means nothing to me, that was eons ago.

The guy has shown no effort since the Olympics, I"m really not surprised he got hurt tonight, he's 37 and tried to turn it on after floating game after game for weeks. Innocent enough play, but he hasn't looked too strong or fit for a while now.
The points I made are valid regardless of Kovalev's point production. I'll take a somewhat productive Kovalev over a Ryan Shannon any day. Not crazy about the contract, but things are as they are. Would this team be better with 5 million in empty cap space or Kovalev? I believe the latter.

Kovalev, if healthy, might just turn it up in the playoffs regardless. I really don't understand why some people think the Sens aren't hurting big time by losing the guy.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:16 AM
MAMM0TH1

Care of OttawaGh0st!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytSEa...os=UhKo6kaHYIY

ha!

MAMM0TH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:33 AM
trashmouth12

Shades of Hasek

trashmouth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmouth12 View Post
Shades of Hasek
Kuba is shades of Hasek, if Kuba was somehow integral to our teams success.

I'm not really sure what Kovalev is shades of. Who was the last Sens player who in his last 17 games had a statline of 1 goal, 1 assist, while being -15 before injury?

Last edited by Wham City: 04-09-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:53 AM
thammias

Quote:
The points I made are valid regardless of Kovalev's point production. I'll take a somewhat productive Kovalev over a Ryan Shannon any day. Not crazy about the contract, but things are as they are. Would this team be better with 5 million in empty cap space or Kovalev? I believe the latter.

Kovalev, if healthy, might just turn it up in the playoffs regardless. I really don't understand why some people think the Sens aren't hurting big time by losing the guy.
Why can't people understand that whether Kovalev puts up points or not that he is another threat out there for the opposing team to focus on. No opposing team in their right mind wouldnt check Kovalev closely in the playoffs with the talent and shot he has. Which in turn gives players on his line more space to create. Just him being on the ice changes the opposing teams defence. Especially on the powerplay. Without Kovalev we pretty much go back to being a one line team.

thammias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Puckhog27

I wonder if he has to have his knee drained of fluid in the offseason. I know that has been a problem for him in the past after he had surgery at one point. I don't think he had his kneed drained once when he was with the Canadiens, but before that he had to do it a lot due to fluid building up inside of it.

I would like to add even though he hasn't had a great season and he hasn't been able to do much in terms of producing of late he did add secondary scoring for large portions of the season when the team needed it. At one point he was only 2 points behind alfie for the team lead... IMO without his production the Sens would be out of the playoffs. Yeah there are a lot of guys who are more consistent on the team in many ways, but they are expected to be and thats why they are on the first line. You still need secondary production to be effective over the course of long seasons or long playoffs.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 06:37 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:

This.

Quote:
holy **** i got my avatar back! Hooray!
No offense, but I almost wish you didn't have it. Everytime I look at your avatar I get hungry. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thammias View Post
Why can't people understand that whether Kovalev puts up points or not that he is another threat out there for the opposing team to focus on. No opposing team in their right mind wouldnt check Kovalev closely in the playoffs with the talent and shot he has. Which in turn gives players on his line more space to create. Just him being on the ice changes the opposing teams defence. Especially on the powerplay. Without Kovalev we pretty much go back to being a one line team.
And this. I agree with all of what you said, except the last line. I wouldn't say we are again a one line team without Kovy. We still have Alfie, Spezza, Regin, Foligno, and Cullen. Even the Ruutu-Kelly-Neil line pitches in the odd goal, in addition to the energy shifts they produce and the penalties they draw for us.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolakDave View Post
He'll be ready, guys. He's going to want to prove everyone wrong. You'll see. This is one Russian bum that I've trusted since day one, and everyone will see.

Kovie!
Don't hold your breath. Did you see the injury? it didn't look good.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

No news is bad news IMO

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

no news is good news perhaps...?

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:23 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Quote:
Originally Posted by thammias View Post
This. He opens up space for other "harder working players" see Mike Fisher. Koive also compliments Shannon's speed by getting him the puck at full speed. Regin looked great with him this year too, al;though Regin looking good with Spezza make me believe in Regin's hockey IQ more than ever

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote