HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Benoit Pouliot

View Poll Results: Ben P for the C?
YES! BEN P for the C 24 66.67%
I'm a hater 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-15-2010, 03:08 PM
macavoy

vCash: 500
Benoit Pouliot

Since the Pouliot / Lats thread got locked, I'm looking to talk about Pouliot itt. I haven't seen any games since he's played for us unfortunately. I've been on the road. I see that he has 5 goals and 1 assist in 10 games, pretty impressive.

What do you guys think of him? Do you think he's the real deal or is it on a hot streak? Who has he been playing with? Is he a sniper? Would you consider him a power forward?

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:10 PM
couris

Faster, slick hands

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:13 PM
CarrePrisme

There's a massive thread on the subject http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=724155 if you can bother reading through all of this.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:16 PM
silver321

Pouliot>Latendresse

Seriously, he's one of the reasons the Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta line is having success at the moment. He fits perfectly with the habs system because he's fast, has good hands etc.

silver321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Habsfanatical

One of the few trades in the NHL that has actually worked out for both teams. I'm loving the addition of Pouliot, but once again we must wait to see this team without injuries.

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:24 PM
InglewoodJack

Pouliot is quickly becoming one of my favourite players. Speedy, good shot, not afraid to score ugly goals, but will score nice ones too. It's like the second he steps on the ice he has only one goal; to get the puck in the net. Doesn't care how, but it's going in.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:29 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

One thing i find nobody talks about enough is how well he intercepts pucks. His long reach works wonders for him. That goal he scores last night, he intercepted a dangerous cross-crease pass the opposition made (between defensemen) and snuck it in one-handed. I don't think anyone else on our team could have had the reach to get that except maybe bgl, but he wouldn't have had the skill to put that one in like Big Ben did.

Also his physical game is under appreciated, IMO. He can lay some people out when he wants to, doesn't always do it but rarely (if ever) shies away from contact.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Kjell Dahlin

So far he looks like a 4th overall pick but he has been known for his deficient work ethic so we should not get carried away…. yet!

I am a fan of Latendresse since his first training camp but Pouliot is such a better fit in Martin’s system and it is very hard not to overhype this guy: speed, size, tremendous skill set, hard-nosed… if he can beef up a little (+5-10 pounds of muscle) and keep workings hard, that guy will be a force.

I don’t remember who mentioned the following (lately; I think it was Martin) but the ceiling in Pouliot’s case won’t be determined by skills (or lack of it): it will be determined by his work ethic. For the good of all of us, Habs fan… keep working hard Benoit!

Btw… his goal yesterday (01/14/2010 DAL @ MTL 06:44 in 2nd) was a thing of beauty (great top corner backhand shot with almost only one hand on his stick):

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8471678

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 01-15-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:41 PM
MaKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Since the Pouliot / Lats thread got locked, I'm looking to talk about Pouliot itt. I haven't seen any games since he's played for us unfortunately. I've been on the road. I see that he has 5 goals and 1 assist in 10 games, pretty impressive.

What do you guys think of him? Do you think he's the real deal or is it on a hot streak? Who has he been playing with? Is he a sniper? Would you consider him a power forward?
I was in the same situation as you, on vacation in my case, and wasn't able to see many games since he came back from injury.
Last night I was very impressed with his play. He was on a line with Gomez/Gionta and they were dominating the play 5 on 5 whenever they were out there. To me Pouliot is in between Gomez in Gionta in terms of Sniper/Play-maker style of play. He's definitely not afraid to pull the trigger, but he also makes some passes that show he has good vision. He also brings a physical aspect to the line, and plays with a little bit of an edge I find. I saw him throw a couple hits last night and I was pretty impressed, he also wasn't afraid to rush into the corners for the puck, even when the defense man was there waiting for him to touch it.
There was one play last night that most people probably didn't notice, and it wasn't very important, but I liked what I saw. I don't remember exactly how it happened but Pouliot was heading into the offensive zone with speed, but the play was called offside, and instead of stopping hard or turning hard to get out of the way, he ran right over the defense man who was in his way.
I know it's not very significant, and maybe it's not how he always plays, but it's nice to see a Habs forward with a bit of a mean streak.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
So far he looks like a 4th overall pick but he has been known for his deficient work ethic so we should not get carried away…. yet!

I am a fan of Latendresse since his first training camp but Pouliot is such a better fit in Martin’s system and it is very hard not to overhype this guy: speed, size, tremendous skill set, hard-nosed… if he can beef up a little (+5-10 pounds of muscle) and keep workings hard, that guy will be a force.

I don’t remember who mentioned the following (lately; I think it was Martin) but the ceiling in Pouliot’s case won’t be determined by skills (or lack of it): it will be determined by his work ethic. For the good of all of us, Habs fan… keep working hard Benoit!

Btw… his goal yesterday (01/14/2010 DAL @ MTL 06:44 in 2nd) was a thing of beauty (great top corner backhand shot with almost only one hand on his stick):

and that's why with Martin as head coach I'm not that worried.Even if Martin is to go and for example Boucher would come up,these are coaches that ask 110% of the guys on every shift

Pouliot has been really impressive thus far

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:56 PM
The Russian General
#CanadaAndRefsTeam

I <3 Pouliot (no homo). Speed, skills, good physical presence(not exactly body checks but he can win the puck by using his frame) and gets his nose dirty when needed.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Habs514

Pouliot has been really impressive. He is becoming one of my favorites on the team after Gio and Cammy. Great pickup Mr Gainey!!!!

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:04 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

pouillot is been quite the suprise imo, especially that he gelled pretty fast. only downside, he needs to get stronger on his skates

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Can't complain about the guys so far. I only hope he continues to play like this and becomes an important part of the team going forward.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post

What impresses me most about that play was not just the goal but how if you watch closely you can see how he anticipates the pass. Great hockey sense!

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:09 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
What impresses me most about that play was not just the goal but how if you watch closely you can see how he anticipates the pass. Great hockey sense!
almost looked like he was hiding behind the stars player so the guy passing the puck wouldn't see him.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

He definitely has been impressive.

But people honestly shouldn't be that surprised. He's got the skill to succeed in the NHL. Talent isn't the problem, motivation is.

And he looks motivated to me. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Next Best Thing*

This guy has scary potential, Andrei Kostitsyn-like...

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
habspinner

What I have been most impessed with Pouliot about is his willingness, and ability to create plays. He's not depending on his shot, or dumb luck. He's really getting his nose dirty and manufacturing goals.
As one of the prior posters mentioned, he has a very active stick, which serves him very well and creates a good amount of turnovers. Both Pouliot and Gomez do a very good job job of creating turnovers with their quick hand eye co-ordination.

This line of Gio-Gomez-Pouliot looks very similar to Gio-Gomez-Elias, and certainly has the potential to be just as dominant.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
This guy has scary potential, Andrei Kostitsyn-like...
The guy plays nothing like Andrei dude

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
and that's why with Martin as head coach I'm not that worried.Even if Martin is to go and for example Boucher would come up,these are coaches that ask 110% of the guys on every shift

Pouliot has been really impressive thus far
Really? I find the work ethic laughable at times this year. Some games when we were letting 45+ shots, we weren't even skating.

This is the part that bothers me with Martin, he doesn't seem to strike fear into many players, wherever he has been.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Boardish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
The guy plays nothing like Andrei dude
Pretty sure he meant potential wise

Boardish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
One thing i find nobody talks about enough is how well he intercepts pucks. His long reach works wonders for him. That goal he scores last night, he intercepted a dangerous cross-crease pass the opposition made (between defensemen) and snuck it in one-handed. I don't think anyone else on our team could have had the reach to get that except maybe bgl, but he wouldn't have had the skill to put that one in like Big Ben did.

Also his physical game is under appreciated, IMO. He can lay some people out when he wants to, doesn't always do it but rarely (if ever) shies away from contact.
I watched the replay again, it was two handed, but both hands high on the stick, check it out on nhl.com, go to the scores from yesterday, click video. The replay angle confirms it.

CrAzYNiNe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

He's actually pretty impressive and like some others are mentioning, sometimes, it's not even about his goals. It's about all these other traits of his game.

We can say what we want about how Lemaire wasn't too good offensively for the kid, but CLEARLY, young Pouliot learned all these other aspects under his watch. Only thing he needed was Lemaire's defensive teaching, and some offensive confidence to get things going.

He has to continue and be down to earth. I hope they put him in the right environment and surround him with the right people. This kid is too good to mess up.

Now let's get Brûlé from the Oilers so we'd have 2005 4th, 5th, and 6th overall picks.... I might even want to try to push for the #7th if possible....That's another player I had high hopes for that is almost 1PPG in the AHL but can't get things going in the NHL. But Jack Skille does have some skills....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
Pretty sure he meant potential wise
ohhh just caught that my bad lol

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote