HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Martin and Andy Greene: The Keys to a Championship

Old
04-08-2010, 10:26 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

vCash: 500
Paul Martin and Andy Greene: The Keys to a Championship

The key players for the Devils in the playoffs are not named Brodeur and Parise. They are not Kovalchuk and Elias, or Langenbrunner and Zajac.

The key for success is our defenseman, namely Paul Martin and Andy Greene, playing well defensively, but just as importantly, producing points from the back end.

Here are some interesting stats regarding point production out of the D corresponding to Wins and Losses.

0 points: 7-14, 33.3%
1 point: 14-16, 46.7%
2 points: 15-4, 78.9%
3+ points: 10-0, 100%

No points from the defense means a 2/3 chance of a loss, 1 point means less than 50-50 shot at a win, while just 2 points from the D gives you almost a 4/5 shot at victory.

Production from Martin and Greene is going to be an absolute necessity if this team wants to get where it wants to be.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:28 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Wow. That is quite the analysis right there. We are 0-4 without Andy Greene in the lineup so I guess there is some other truth to that as well.

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Jay Pandolfo and Mike Mottau - The Anti-Keys

Seriously, if they see time in the playoffs we are as good as fried.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:47 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

You're friggin' nuts

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Martin and Greene are important to our success, to be sure, but this seems like an odd conclusion to make. It's not like contributions from our defence are what is making us win, and we can't win without them.

When our defencemen are scoring 3+ points, it usually means we've scored 3+ goals. And when we do that, our goaltending and defence are good enough that we usually win. I don't think there's any real causality there.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Devils Mike*

Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
The keys to a championship is for everyone to produce and play well, not just a certain group.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:27 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
Jay Pandolfo and Mike Mottau - The Anti-Keys

Seriously, if they see time in the playoffs we are as good as fried.
You'd seriously rather Fraser than Mottau at this point? Fraser has more upside and he can learn on the job next year. The playoffs are not for learning on the job.

Edit: And I agree with the original post. Production from the defense is the team's weakness. And you are only going to go as far as your weakest link will allow. Production from Martin and Green is a must for the team to go anywhere.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Mike View Post
The keys to a championship is for everyone to produce and play well, not just a certain group.
This.

You guys hold pretty much every piece imaginable for a NHL championship, with the exception of an offensive-defenseman.

Clarkson, Marty, Elias, Parise, Zajac, Martin, White, hell, even Rolston has a role.

During the playoffs chances are every player not on the 4th line will make or defend against a game-changin play. EVERYONE is key when a championship is on the line. and the Devils have the personnel to take them there.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 06:42 AM
fredthelen

I believe it is way too easy to pinpoint the success or failure on two players, that are, no disrespect to them, not even close to our best players. (I really really like MArtin as a D though).

I guess what it all comes down too is, as one Brent Sutter always used to put it:

"Your best players have to outplay the opponent´s best players."

If anyone here believes having Mottau or Pandolfo in the line-up over Pelley and Fraser or something will decide if we lose or win, you must be completely out of your mind.

This is the time to shine for us. Marty has to show that he is still one of the best, if not still the best (for me, he already is the best all time). It has been a while since he carried us deep. I don´t blame him for the Carolina series though, he was lights out, although he could and should have stopped Staal´s shot.

Parise and Kovalchuk have to be beasts for us. If Kovalchuk fails to produce, I don´t even want to see his ass around here next year.

The team is absolutely great. When motivated, they have shown some incredibly good things. I am a firm believer.

Go Devs Go

fredthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Babycakes92689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
This.

You guys hold pretty much every piece imaginable for a NHL championship, with the exception of an offensive-defenseman.

Clarkson, Marty, Elias, Parise, Zajac, Martin, White, hell, even Rolston has a role.

During the playoffs chances are every player not on the 4th line will make or defend against a game-changin play. EVERYONE is key when a championship is on the line. and the Devils have the personnel to take them there.
don't forget our resident sniper/surprise playmaker, ilya kovalsauce

Babycakes92689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:57 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
This is pretty accurate especially considering the system we employ. The devils NEED production from the back end. They cannot afford to play 5-on-3 in the offensive zone. The d-men must be involved and they must produce. And, since Martin and Greene are our two best puck movers, they need to shoulder the load on the blueline.

Also, I think this will be Parise's coming out party in the playoffs. The greats always have one and I think this year will be his. He was phenomenal in the olympics on the big stage and I think the playoffs will be no different. Not implying he was bad in previous playoffs, but surely not dominant.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

We sure could have used some offense from our defense last night. This is probably one of the major disadvantages the Devils have going into the playoffs, which is their low scoring defense.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 04-09-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Also, I think this will be Parise's coming out party in the playoffs. The greats always have one and I think this year will be his. He was phenomenal in the olympics on the big stage and I think the playoffs will be no different. Not implying he was bad in previous playoffs, but surely not dominant.
I agree. Having Kovalchuk this time around helps him immensely: Kovy will be drawing away some of the other team's top defensive units, and that will surely help Parise break out. I'm also hoping for big performances from our usual cadre of clutch players: Langenbrunner, Elias, Zubrus, Marty.

Old
04-09-2010, 08:11 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Of course everybody needs to be playing their best for the Devils to do well.

That being said, it always seems that our best games are when our defense is involved offensively. The 6-3 win over the Rangers comes to mind, as well as the win over Pittsburgh on St. Patty's day.

It's alot easier to produce when it's 5on5 in the offensive zone and not 3on5.

Old
04-09-2010, 08:20 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Good point.

If we can't get any production from our blueline, we'll have trouble scoring some goals. The entire offense starts from the backend and if they can't make a solid breakout pass or join the rush once in a while, the opposition will trap us to death in the neutral zone and we all know that for some strange reason, this team doesn't "dump and chase" anymore.

P.S. The strech pass is not a option in the playoffs.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:25 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not too mention that we also our great first half was largely due to the fact that a guy like Andy Greene had a very good streak offensively.

Old
04-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Big#D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
P.S. The strech pass is not a option in the playoffs.
It's an option, but it shouldn't be the go to pitch. It's got to be something they throw in every once in a while as a curve ball to see how it works.

Big#D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

What would be our ideal pairing...

Martin - Skoula
Greene - White
Mottau - Salvador
Fraser

I know that the White-Mottau pairing has been together for ever but Salvador is playing like crap since the Olympics and having him paired with Greene, who will rush the puck up the ice, might cost us if he turns the puck over and that's why I'd insert a stay-at-home d-men like White on our 2nd pairing.

Old
04-09-2010, 08:35 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big#D View Post
It's an option, but it shouldn't be the go to pitch. It's got to be something they throw in every once in a while as a curve ball to see how it works.
The strech pass should be used only when the other team changes, period. The thing is that we do it well but we don't "finish". We get the puck around the red line, we dump it in... but we don't forecheck or pressure their d-men to create turnovers or force them to make a bad pass and that's why it's not worth jack squat.

The key to that is a hard forecheck and constant pressure, something we don't do often.

Old
04-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Last night's game pretty much supported your analysis - Martin sucked and we lost. He was slow of foot, fumbled the puck and made some really horrible passes. Greene was not in the game so he couldn't do anything so effectively we were without both and had a pathetic powerplay on the blue line and couldn't transition the puck up the ice.

We also have only lost 1 game in which Paul Martin or Andy Greene scored this season...

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I couldn't believe how passive the team was last night. Even down two goals, we were barely forechecking, as if we were up two goals. No hunger at all to win this game.

Old
04-09-2010, 08:52 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I couldn't believe how passive the team was last night. Even down two goals, we were barely forechecking, as if we were up two goals. No hunger at all to win this game.
We should've been pressing their defense yesterday instead of "staying back". We need to hit our stride pretty soon cause the big show is only 5 or 6 days away. This is not the time to figure things out with 2 games left to play. We should be in cruise control regarding our system and are lines should be in cement by now.

Old
04-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I'd really love to see the lines stay the same for the last two games. I have no idea why Lemaire is still tinkering with them. We've already found something that works. Why change it now?

Old
04-09-2010, 09:16 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
I'd really love to see the lines stay the same for the last two games. I have no idea why Lemaire is still tinkering with them. We've already found something that works. Why change it now?
The lines should've been in cement for the last couple of weeks. We all see what the Z's are capable of doing and we can all see that Elias and IK have solid chemistry together and we can all see that Langenbrunner looks lost and confused with both of them and we all saw that Clarkson played great with Kovalchuk when paired together. If I was the coach of this team, I'd go with...

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus
Kovalchuk-Elias-Clarkson
Rolston-McAmmond-Langenbrunner
Zharkov-Niedermayer-Pelley

Our top 6 would be very solid and Clarkson would bring alot of space for both IK and Elias and he can control/protect the puck like a champ. Our 3rd line would be a very solid one with 3 veterans that can chip in offensively while playing a solid defensive game as well and the 4th line would be used about 2 minutes per period just to give our top 9 a rest once in a while.

That would be my dream lineup for the playoffs.

Old
04-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
I have to agree. Although, we out-shot Florida by a large margin, I thought they were the better team, until the Devils got desperate. The Devils made their breakouts look so easy due to a lack of forecheck, looked very sloppy with the puck and played with no physical presence at all. Also, Clemmer did out-play Marty, however, I didn't think he was lights out. He still gives up those big rebounds up the middle of the ice. But, he did have some puck luck and was solid. Until this team proves me wrong, I can't see us going father then the 2nd round. Bad loss last night. And what wories me most is that Kovy still seems to have more problems offensively then he does defensively. Maybe it's our system. Also, Parise just looks worn out. I haven't seen him turn on his extra gear for about month. And finally, Lemaire has to take off the reins off of Martin and Greene. When they have an opening, they should take the puck deep into the offensive zone.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 04-09-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote