HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Toronto Sun: Burke not worried about payroll, salary cap

Old
04-09-2010, 12:40 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Toronto Sun: Burke not worried about payroll, salary cap

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col.../13521501.html

Quote:
While he won’t go into details, there are moves at his disposal, and as he has shown this past season with the controversial acquisitions of Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel, he isn’t afraid to make bold ones.

The first victim of cuts is all but certain to be defenceman Jeff Finger. He makes $3.5 million as a part-time player. If Burke can’t somehow trade him, which is next to impossible, Finger will become the first casualty of the Burke “I’m not afraid to bury money in the minors” mind-set.

That would free up $3.5 million, so instead of having $2 million to spend, Burke would be up to $5.5 million.

The second and third situations to address may be on defence, where more than half Burke’s money is committed. Mike Komisarek and Francois Beauchemin, who combined represent a cap hit of $8.3 million, both had lousy first seasons in Toronto. Rookie Carl Gunnarsson, who only takes up $800,000 in cap room, outplayed them in his rookie year. Burke won’t say so but he may attempt to move one of either Komisarek or Beauchemin, with the Leafs top four defencemen being Dion Phaneuf, Tomas Kaberle, Luke Schenn and Gunnarsson.

Last edited by Majik1987: 04-09-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Copywrite
hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:56 AM
Heatleys Eye

Now I think I know why Wilson broke up the Kessel-Bozak line

Because Kessel was supposed to pad Grabs stats for a trade

Unfortunately this didn't happen but it was the right idea

Grabs is not suitable for a Burke team - he's not defensive and is really not great offensively

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Leafs4Eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post

Grabs is not suitable for a Burke team - he's not defensive and is really not great offensively
Oh true say.... well noticed.

Ya I think grabo is as good as gone. Which is almost a shame because after the loss of tlusty, grabo was really the last player with really funny pictures.... aka the pineapple one

Leafs4Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:28 AM
BudForLife

Quote:

I thought the same thing. It didn't make sense that Wilson broke up that line when they were tearing it up. Grabs really works out there, but yeah I kinda understand why he doesn't fit here, especially if Kadri makes the team next season.

So, if Finger, Kaberle and Grabs are gone...wow....Schenn is the only player left on the team pre-Burke. What a complete turn-around. Honestly, I didn't think it was possible...holy **** Burkie.

Can't wait to see what Burkie does over the summer. I hope he can get some decent players. I really miss playoffs in Toronto

BudForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:

Spot on sir spot on.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Defense

When Grabo is your 2nd highest paid forward, you got problems. He is gone for sure.

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:24 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:

No Ron Wilson and Mikhail Grabovski are the last guys left from the entitlement era. Grabovski was guaranteed a spot on the team and the best playing time.. He's still getting it.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Kills Me View Post
No Ron Wilson and Mikhail Grabovski are the last guys left from the entitlement era. Grabovski was guaranteed a spot on the team and the best playing time.. He's still getting it.
But wasn't Grabovski re-upped by Burke?

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:28 AM
RogerRoeper*

Beauchemin has a nice contract still, so I think there's is value for him in a trade.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:40 AM
eyeball11

What was "controversial" about the Phaneuf trade?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
I asked myself the same question.

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Acekicker123

Quote:
Only one team got anything good.

Acekicker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Defense

Quote:
Wow I did not see that!

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defence View Post
When Grabo is your 2nd highest paid forward, you got problems. He is gone for sure.
It was Burke that gave Grabovski his new 3 year deal $2.9 mil per deal.

If Grabs didn't fit into his plans than likely coming off a 20 goal 48 point season as a RFA was likely the best time to trade him.

He is going to be much harder to move now making nearly $3 mil and 10 goals to his name this season.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:18 AM
PlayerToBe

A 50ish point forward like Grabo who makes 2.9 won't be hard to move if that's what Burke decides to do. Grabo is properly compensated for the type of production he provides.

The Leafs are in a very good cap position moving forward as they have virtually no bad/unmoveable contracts and no full no trade clauses. The only problem left is Finger. But Burke will put him in the AHL.

Burke has cleaned up much of the mess JFJ/Fletcher created from a cap standpoint.

PlayerToBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
It was Burke that gave Grabovski his new 3 year deal $2.9 mil per deal.

If Grabs didn't fit into his plans than likely coming off a 20 goal 48 point season as a RFA was likely the best time to trade him.

He is going to be much harder to move now making nearly $3 mil and 10 goals to his name this season.
He's still a young high ceiling guy, though. I can see him being moved for an established top 6 forward making much more money.

04-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Antropovsky

Lol at "controversial" Phaneuf trade, we got a young perennial Norris trophy candidate for 4 players, 3 of which whom were repeatedly benched over the past 2 seasons, and another (hagman)... who is a dime a dozen one dimensional offensive player (see Stempniak). IMO the trade was White for Phaneuf/Aulie and we win that trade a million times over.

The Kessel trade is a bad trade, Chiarelli was cornered into this trade by Burke, and I'm sure Burke could've offered Kaberle + 2011 1st and Chiarelli would've gladly taken the deal. BUT Burke IMO got cocky, and instead wanted to overturn things over night, so kept Kaberle obviously hoping to trade him later for players who can make impacts quicker than wherever his draft pick ended up. Clearly expecting to be in the playoff hunt right now... but obviously thought wrong.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:24 PM
PresidentCamacho*

If even half of these moves are made, coming in second last next year would be a success

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

There's no reason for Burke to be worried. It should be quite easy to make several million in cap room...the Leafs don't have any huge long-term contracts they have to dump. Their biggest cap commitments are to core players under 25, which is ideal. I think the bigger problem, barring more Phaneuf-like moves, will be finding appropriate value players for the cap space. The free agent pool is pretty thin in terms of impact. Burke needs to avoid the temptation to sign B-pile guys that has befallen Leaf GMs before him.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Tonka
Diggles

It's just Beauchemin and Finger HAVE to GO. Mitchell should not even be on the Leafs next year. As for Hanson and Caputi, I'd put them in the Marlies, they can do well on a young Marlies team with them being among the older crew on that team next year.

Komisarek, I am 100% fine with paying him 4.5 million, it's like people just watched his first 7 games, and then forgot how well he played.

Kaberle seems expendable after Gunnarson's performance. Schenn needs to prove himself as a solid top 4 and he needs the playing time.

Grabovski I would keep as a 3rd line centre, since he can produce 45-50 points a season. That's pretty solid and realistic potential for Grabovski. His contract is only 2 more years.

Kaberle+Finger+Beauchemin = 12 million, with about 5.5 million going to Gustavsson/Kulemin.

6.5 million can get a solid top 3 forward. I really hope Toronto can get good assets from the Kaberle trade so we can flip that to another team. *cough*Anaheim*cough*Bobby Ryan*cough*

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:19 PM
sgupca

Quote:

Funny you say that, cause Burke himself said he wanted him to the Ducks and was in talks with montreal about Grabo before Fletcher jumped in and grabbed him first.

Now, don't get me wrong, i think Grabo could be traded and if he isn't i would fully expect a move to the wing on the 2nd or 3rd line next year. I do think both Wilson and Burke like his play....he's a little man with a temper and he always involved....

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:22 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
It's just Beauchemin and Finger HAVE to GO. Mitchell should not even be on the Leafs next year. As for Hanson and Caputi, I'd put them in the Marlies, they can do well on a young Marlies team with them being among the older crew on that team next year.

Komisarek, I am 100% fine with paying him 4.5 million, it's like people just watched his first 7 games, and then forgot how well he played.

Kaberle seems expendable after Gunnarson's performance. Schenn needs to prove himself as a solid top 4 and he needs the playing time.

Grabovski I would keep as a 3rd line centre, since he can produce 45-50 points a season. That's pretty solid and realistic potential for Grabovski. His contract is only 2 more years.

Kaberle+Finger+Beauchemin = 12 million, with about 5.5 million going to Gustavsson/Kulemin.

6.5 million can get a solid top 3 forward. I really hope Toronto can get good assets from the Kaberle trade so we can flip that to another team. *cough*Anaheim*cough*Bobby Ryan*cough*
3 for Kuelmin (thats a raise of about 1.5mil)
2.5 for Gusta ( a rasie of about 1.5)

so really thats only 3mil not 5.5....even more in our back pockets.....

and i agree, Kaberle+Finger+Beauchemin = these are the guys that need to go.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Kyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
3 for Kuelmin (thats a raise of about 1.5mil)
2.5 for Gusta ( a rasie of about 1.5)

so really thats only 3mil not 5.5....even more in our back pockets.....

and i agree, Kaberle+Finger+Beauchemin = these are the guys that need to go.
I expect a contract similar to Rask's. 2.5 appears a little too much.

Kyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Funny you say that, cause Burke himself said he wanted him to the Ducks and was in talks with montreal about Grabo before Fletcher jumped in and grabbed him first.
may be true, may not be true. GM`s and coach`s talk **** sometimes...

anyways, having interest in Grabovski the prospect is different than Grabovski the NHL player. i`m sure a lot of teams would have liked to add Grabovski the prospect...

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Baba Ganoush

by the way, i don't know why the person who wrote this article thinks the Leafs have $2mil to spend. is this including his guesses for RFA signings of Kul and Gus, or...

the leafs have $11mil to spend next season as of now.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote