HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Sun: Burke not worried about payroll, salary cap

Old
04-09-2010, 01:38 PM
sgupca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
may be true, may not be true. GM`s and coach`s talk **** sometimes...

anyways, having interest in Grabovski the prospect is different than Grabovski the NHL player. i`m sure a lot of teams would have liked to add Grabovski the prospect...
We are only talking a year and a half ago.....he's 26 now...so he was 24 when traded here.....sure...he was still a prospect only having 9 games under his belt...but i'd call him more of an established prospect with NHL experience when we traded for him.

You could tell that he was a little guy with tons of passion.

All that being said, he didn't have a great year sure...but he was injured far too often this season and the supporting cast just wasn't there....Kessel and grabo arn't working together and i would expect him moved to the wing next year.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Caesium

The article is nothing but speculation from a crap journalist. The cap situation is what it is, I'll believe Burke dumping players in the minors when I see it.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Baba Ganoush

sorry to touch on this again...but why is simmons saying, "if Finger is sent to the minors, Burke will have $5mil to spend, rather than $2mil" ... ??

i'm pretty sure the leafs have upwards of $10mil of free space for next season.

he doesn't mention anything in the article about guessing the contracts of Kulemin, Gustavsson, etc. yet he has our cap situation at $2mil. it's wrong, Mr. Simmons.

anyways, say the leafs sign Gustavsson and Kulemin for a combined cap hit of $4mil (any way you wanna slice it)...we would still have $6+mil in cap space. dump Finger to the minors and trade Grabovski for a draft pick and we all of a sudden have $13+mil to play with, with only Hanson and Mitchell (if Burke so chooses) left to sign.

it's not as bad as some people think...especially when you factor in the fact that there will likely be at least one big-ish trade, and a few smaller ones.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 5 - 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
It was Burke that gave Grabovski his new 3 year deal $2.9 mil per deal.

If Grabs didn't fit into his plans than likely coming off a 20 goal 48 point season as a RFA was likely the best time to trade him.

He is going to be much harder to move now making nearly $3 mil and 10 goals to his name this season.
Probably his worst move, all GM's make them.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:20 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
There's no reason for Burke to be worried. It should be quite easy to make several million in cap room...the Leafs don't have any huge long-term contracts they have to dump. Their biggest cap commitments are to core players under 25, which is ideal. I think the bigger problem, barring more Phaneuf-like moves, will be finding appropriate value players for the cap space. The free agent pool is pretty thin in terms of impact. Burke needs to avoid the temptation to sign B-pile guys that has befallen Leaf GMs before him.
agreed, good assessment.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:20 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post
Now I think I know why Wilson broke up the Kessel-Bozak line

Because Kessel was supposed to pad Grabs stats for a trade

Unfortunately this didn't happen but it was the right idea

Grabs is not suitable for a Burke team - he's not defensive and is really not great offensively
Why did he give him 9 million over three years then.?

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Burke spoke to LeBrun

Quote:
"Our draft is July 1. We're going to go after a free agent, we're going to try and land a top-six forward," said Burke. "We might also do it in advance of July 1 through a trade."

That trade would no doubt involve veteran blueliner Tomas Kaberle, who has one year left on his deal at $4.25 million, a cheap salary for a player of his caliber. Kaberle's no-trade clause drops this summer, so while Burke says he's not shopping him, the fact he'll once again have a window with the no-trade gone compels him to at least see what is out there.
Quote:
The Leafs have about 16 players returning for next season, so there's not actually that much cap room to play with. But just like that, a guy like Jeff Finger (two more years at $3.5 million per) can be dumped in the minors to create cap space. Burke, understandably, is taking heat for the Kessel deal, but I don't think you can say his team isn't headed in the right direction. Leafs fans certainly hope so. This is Toronto's fifth straight season without a trip to the postseason.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/l...ern-conference

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:26 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Probably his worst move, all GM's make them.
I think his worst move was not signing Denis Seidenberg, instead of trading Kubina for Exelby, Kubina could have been traded for some Picks, Exelby couldn't be traded at the Deadline for a 7th rd pick, while Seidenberg got a 2nd rd pick for Florida from Boston. Same with Primeau couldn't even get a pick for him at the Deadline.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:34 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:

Grabs is not suitable for a Burke team - he's not defensive and is really not great offensively
I've been saying it for awhile. Grabo lost his spot on the team when Bozak proved he is NHL ready. There is no reason to keep an expensive marginal player who can't finish clogging up the roster.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:40 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I don' think I would be too disappointed if Beauch or Komisarek were traded. Not that I would be happy, but to free up a bit more cap space for forwards would be nice.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Daisy Joy
Leafs Optimist :)

I heard on the radio that Komi/Beauch have limited NTCs... that's what I heard anyway, so maybe not.

And once again, I think it must be said, unless it's a knock your socks off deal; I wouldn't hold your breath that Komi/Beauch is going to get traded. not next year anyway. Burke wouldn't do something like that.

Daisy Joy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:55 PM
The Thin White Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post
I heard on the radio that Komi/Beauch have limited NTCs... that's what I heard anyway, so maybe not.

And once again, I think it must be said, unless it's a knock your socks off deal; I wouldn't hold your breath that Komi/Beauch is going to get traded. not next year anyway. Burke wouldn't do something like that.
Komi has a limited NTC, he has to submit a list of 10 (I think) teams every season that he'd accept a trade to. I don't believe Beachemin has one.

The Thin White Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:57 PM
FlareKnight

Yeah I can't see Beauchemin or Komisarek going this offseason. Burke did just sign them and they didn't have great starts so there wouldn't be much value anyways. Finger hits the minors and Kaberle is moved for help up front. After that see what is there July 1st. That's about how I see it happening.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Singualirity 2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Why did he give him 9 million over three years then.?
Why did Boston re-sign Thornton and then trade him soon after?

I don't think Grabs is a guy that is going to get your team wins and it's becoming clearly evident now

You sign him so you don't lose him as an asset - but it definitely doesn't mean he's not going to be moved then by Burke

Singualirity 2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post
Komisarek does, but i'm pretty sure Beauchemin doesn't.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:05 PM
ansah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah I can't see Beauchemin or Komisarek going this offseason. Burke did just sign them and they didn't have great starts so there wouldn't be much value anyways. Finger hits the minors and Kaberle is moved for help up front. After that see what is there July 1st. That's about how I see it happening.
Beauchemin plays average 27 plus minutes a night, he should have good trading value compared to injured Komisarek

ansah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 06:31 PM
dimi78

I'm expecting 2 trades this off season 1 with Kaberle and another with Grabovski as for Finger Burke will only send him to the minors if he needs the cap space.

What I would like to see is a Kaberle trade that brings David Clarkson from Jersey to the Leafs in a package deal. I would love a Grabovski trade to Florida for Greg Campbell and a pick and at last in UFA sign Frolov.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailStefanovich View Post
I've been saying it for awhile. Grabo lost his spot on the team when Bozak proved he is NHL ready. There is no reason to keep an expensive marginal player who can't finish clogging up the roster.
I dunno, I still feel Grabovski has more value to this team than his stats suggest. The players seem to like him, and our management, so that should show a good sign with his attitude and perhaps personality.

We've also seen the team play with his return.

Epictetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:

nailed it! looks like they are making room for Kadri

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:31 PM
tpc77

Quote:

Anyone think its because they wanted to cool down Kulemin so they don't have to pay him as much this off-season? I think this is more likely than padding Grabo's stats.

PS, people need to stop ripping grabo's 10 goals. He has played half a season?

tpc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:32 PM
mooseOAK*

What makes all of you people so sure that Wilson switching Grabovski's lines around is going to fool the scouts from other teams? Are they all that gullible?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

There's no way in hell he's moving Komisarek or Beauchemin. Finger he gets a pass on, because that wasn't Burke's guy. But Burke is trying to portray himself as one who is loyal and fair to players...so those two aren't going anywhere.

Otherwise it might make a lot of sense. The cap hits of Komi/Beauch, with the emergence of Schenn and Gunnarsson as capable players pushing for minutes, aren't as needed. You could argue for one of them, but not both.

It makes way more sense to spend those dollars up front.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:42 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
What makes all of you people so sure that Wilson switching Grabovski's lines around is going to fool the scouts from other teams? Are they all that gullible?
Its not fooling other scouts, its showcasing, putting the player in the best light possible to see what he can do. Unfortunately Grabs did not put on much of a dazzle.

Players are showcased all the time whether us plebs can figure it out or not doesn't really matter.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:48 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Its not fooling other scouts, its showcasing, putting the player in the best light possible to see what he can do. Unfortunately Grabs did not put on much of a dazzle.

Players are showcased all the time whether us plebs can figure it out or not doesn't really matter.
I don't think it was as much of a showcase as it was a chance for Grabs to play with an elite winger to evaluate him for himself. He wanted to know if Grabs could step up his game with Kessel, and, \just as much to see if Bozak could succeed with someone other than Kessel.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

One thing that the article doesn't mention that will cut into Leafs Cap space as both Kulemin and Gustavsson ELC contract ends and they become RFA players..

Last year Gustavsson had an additional $1.6 mil and Kulemin $850k that went into that 7.5% bonus cushion above the hard cap..

No more bonus clause now on their 2nd contracts, so their former base Salaries of $850k and $900k are going to go up and cut into the available Cap $$ space as their full contracts now will be factored in below Hard Cap Team Salary amount.

Burke is likely going to want to get these two players signed first to see what he has left afterwards to spend of new players.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote