HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto Sun: Burke not worried about payroll, salary cap

Old
04-09-2010, 09:29 PM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Its not fooling other scouts, its showcasing, putting the player in the best light possible to see what he can do. Unfortunately Grabs did not put on much of a dazzle.

Players are showcased all the time whether us plebs can figure it out or not doesn't really matter.
I thought that the change was made because in a game where after Wilson switched lines around in the middle of it the Hanson-Bozak-Stalberg was clicking so he wanted to go with it longer by keeping them together for some more games.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Probably his worst move, all GM's make them.
That might be true, however this may come into play again as other player contracts are used as comparables when others are renewing their own.

If I was Kulemin's agent and I was in the process of getting my client a new contract, it wouldn't be that hard a case to make that Kulemin has a bigger impact on Leafs than Grabovski does.

Since Burke just gave Grabs his 3 year $2.9 deal, now Kulemin might be looking for similar $.

I think if you asked a good portion of Leaf fans, they would say they would much rather have Kulemin than Grabovski on Leafs next year, and some might even be supportive of trading Grabs away if needed for more Cap space.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
That might be true, however this may come into play again as other player contracts are used as comparables when others are renewing their own.

If I was Kulemin's agent and I was in the process of getting my client a new contract, it wouldn't be that hard a case to make that Kulemin has a bigger impact on Leafs than Grabovski does.

Since Burke just gave Grabs his 3 year $2.9 deal, now Kulemin might be looking for similar $.

I think if you asked a good portion of Leaf fans, they would say they would much rather have Kulemin than Grabovski on Leafs next year, and some might even be supportive of trading Grabs away if needed for more Cap space.
Bear in mind Burke bought a year of Grabovski's UFA status, which to me is the only reason he got over $2.5.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post
Now I think I know why Wilson broke up the Kessel-Bozak line

Because Kessel was supposed to pad Grabs stats for a trade

Unfortunately this didn't happen but it was the right idea

Grabs is not suitable for a Burke team - he's not defensive and is really not great offensively
Also, lower Bozaks stats. Easier to resign.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:32 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
One thing that the article doesn't mention that will cut into Leafs Cap space as both Kulemin and Gustavsson ELC contract ends and they become RFA players..

Last year Gustavsson had an additional $1.6 mil and Kulemin $850k that went into that 7.5% bonus cushion above the hard cap..

No more bonus clause now on their 2nd contracts, so their former base Salaries of $850k and $900k are going to go up and cut into the available Cap $$ space as their full contracts now will be factored in below Hard Cap Team Salary amount.

Burke is likely going to want to get these two players signed first to see what he has left afterwards to spend of new players.
He's included $4 000 000 for Kulemin and Gustavson.

Quote:
As of today, with no roster changes made, the Leafs have $51.55 million committed for next season. That figure of $51.55 includes $1 million in Darcy Tucker buyout money, the $1.75 million Nazem Kadri will make should he play for the Leafs, and one of the highest paid bluelines in all of hockey at $26.32 million. What the $51.55 million doesn’t include are new contracts that will be rewarded to restricted free agents, goalie Jonas Gustavsson and forward Nikolai Kulemin, which would bring that total closer to $55.55 million.

That would leave Burke less than $2 million to spend on whatever he sees viable come free agency on July 1, which isn’t much.

Last edited by smoke meat pete*: 04-09-2010 at 10:38 PM.
smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:37 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

Kulemin doesn't have much bargaining power. In the end, he'd just end up with a qualifying offer, which will pay him about $1 000 000.

Old
04-09-2010, 10:43 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

I dont understand the consensus to get rid of Grabovski. He is what the Leafs need in my opinion, he is quick, skilled and trys hard every game. If you give him proper line mates, and get him to give the puck away less, I can see him being a very good leaf player.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:51 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
I dont understand the consensus to get rid of Grabovski. He is what the Leafs need in my opinion, he is quick, skilled and trys hard every game. If you give him proper line mates, and get him to give the puck away less, I can see him being a very good leaf player.
He's like Stempniak. The effort is there but the results are very streaky and when not doing the one thing he excels at, there isn't much else to his game.

Old
04-09-2010, 11:04 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Burke needs to make sure he has a large amount of cap space to play with next summer when the FA list, as of now anyways, is 10x better then this years. Picking up a top six forward and more specifically a first line center becomes a slightly easier task as: Thorton, Richards, Koviu, and hopefully 26 year old Patrice Bergeron. He has the ability to single handedly even out the asset trade off in the last few years between the Teddy bears and ourselves. On the wings Semin, Gagne, Backes and Williams.

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
He's like Stempniak. The effort is there but the results are very streaky and when not doing the one thing he excels at, there isn't much else to his game.
When did this conversation become about Kessel as that is the first player I thought of by your description provided?

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:48 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I thought that the change was made because in a game where after Wilson switched lines around in the middle of it the Hanson-Bozak-Stalberg was clicking so he wanted to go with it longer by keeping them together for some more games.
Moose I have absolutely no idea why Wilson changed lines. I was merely responding to your comment about "fooling the scouts".

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:36 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
Does he make anyone around him better? Rarely. So he's just another 2nd line center on this team, and because he's older than the other two (Kadri, Bozak) and more expensive (yes, I do know about Bozak's bonuses) he is the one who is expendable.

I love the way he gets up after getting hit, but I'm not a fan of his occassional sideshow, and his work, work, work, that accomplishes nothing. His numbers are ok, but nothing to write home about.

Old
04-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Moose I have absolutely no idea why Wilson changed lines. I was merely responding to your comment about "fooling the scouts".
I think putting Bozak between Stalberg and Hanson was to get secondary scoring, teams were keying on bozak kulemin and Kessel so the change up was made to spread the scoring around and Stalberg did get a buch of goals and when Kulemin and Grabovski played 4 on 4 in over time, they pulled out a lot of wins and were dynamite but for what ever reason putting Kessel on that line 5 on 5 just didn't click.

This is why a play making center is needed.

Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:33 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
When did this conversation become about Kessel as that is the first player I thought of by your description provided?

Really? I'd say Kessel is easily one of our best (if not THE best) passers on the team. Guy can thread a needle.

Add to that his goal scoring puts him up with the elite (certainly when you compare production to age). How many goals did Stempniak produce with the Leafs compared to Kessel?

Old
04-10-2010, 09:43 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

For all those (maybe 2 of you?) who think the Phaneuf deal was bad, whta would you have done with those assets that could have worked out better? Sorry, a secound rd pick or two IS NOT better then Phaneuf Sjostrom and Aulie

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Really? I'd say Kessel is easily one of our best (if not THE best) passers on the team. Guy can thread a needle.
He's not the passer Kaberle is, but he's a much better passer than many make him out to be. We know he can score 30 goals in his sleep, but he also racked up 25 assists this year and from watching his less talented linemates whiff in front of the net I can state with confidence it should have been more.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Lanny4Ever

When you build and negotiate the contracts for the team that you deliver to the fans as the 2nd worst in the league, proving you to be a complete failure as an NHL executive and talent evaluator, payroll and salary cap should be the least of your worries.

Lanny4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:02 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny4Ever View Post
When you build and negotiate the contracts for the team that you deliver to the fans as the 2nd worst in the league, proving you to be a complete failure as an NHL executive and talent evaluator, payroll and salary cap should be the least of your worries.
I'm not sure this makes any sense?

Old
04-10-2010, 10:20 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
I'm not sure this makes any sense?
You're not the only one.

I think it's safe to say he doesn't understand it either.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Crispy Crust

It was controversial because we traded the Toronto Media's favorite son in "Matty" Stajan. lol @ this trade being controversial.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote