HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

germans @ the NHL Entry Draft 2010

Old
06-23-2010, 11:20 AM
mexicohockey

vCash: 500
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...010_nhl_draft/

HF's takes on Germany's prospects. Props to them to mention german nationals playing in North America. Should be a good draft for Germany.

mexicohockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:41 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicohockey View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...010_nhl_draft/

HF's takes on Germany's prospects. Props to them to mention german nationals playing in North America. Should be a good draft for Germany.
Yeah, I think that Kuhnhackl, Grubauer, Abeltshauser and Hofflin will all be drafted. After them I'd be very surprised if any of the others get drafted.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Sanderson

I'd have Noebels ahead of Höfflin. While Höfflin has speed and was voted MVP of the U18 tournament, Noebels has the size and the amazing numbers which is more of an eye-catcher for teams.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
I'd have Noebels ahead of Höfflin. While Höfflin has speed and was voted MVP of the U18 tournament, Noebels has the size and the amazing numbers which is more of an eye-catcher for teams.
This was noted at the bottom of the article:
>>>
The CSS eighth-ranked German Marcel Noebels may actually be much higher on a number of NHL teams’ lists. Of very good size, tough on the puck, tricky in one-on-one situations, and having posted great point-per-game totals for Krefeld in the DNL (53 points in 25 games), Noebels enjoyed a Division I tournament for the ages. There he put up nine goals, 10 assists and a +11 rating in only five games. With that, he scored on nearly 43 percent of his shots. This far outweighed the offensive contributions of the higher ranked Bernhard Keil, David Elsner, Mirko Hoefflin and Tom Kuehnhackl. With size and skills already part of the package, the biggest question is whether he’ll be willing to pay the price to pave a road to North America, and hopefully all the way to the NHL.
<<<

I believe they're working on the basis of taking the rankings directly from the CSS.

Also, as Mexicohockey mentions, the guys playing in North America will be considered North American prospects, regardless of their nationality.

Same is the case for Kal Goren being a German prospect although he's from Slovenia. Same was the case for Austrian Puschnik last summer.

I'd have to say I agree with Smitty10's comment, although Noebels/Hoefflin are the biggest ???s. Could see both, either or neither being taken.

The draft only being 7 rounds and prospects needing to be signed within 2 years seems to ultimately work against the fringe prospects, especially those from non-traditional hockey powers.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Sanderson

I read that, but it has nothing to do with what I commented on. I was replying to smitty10 having Kühnhackl, Grubauer, Abeltshauser and Höfflin as the players who will be drafted.

Germans don't have to be signed after two years anymore, as there is no transfer-agreement in place. See Holzer being signed four years after being drafted.

I wouldn't bet on Höfflin and Noebels being drafted, but if I had to chose one who has better chances I'd take Noebels.

Old
06-25-2010, 06:33 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I read that, but it has nothing to do with what I commented on. I was replying to smitty10 having Kühnhackl, Grubauer, Abeltshauser and Höfflin as the players who will be drafted.
Ohhh, the way you worded the post, it looked like you meant HF should have listed Noebels ahead of Hoefflin.

Wasn't sure how that works since Germany doesn't have the contract with the NHL. Thought Holzer was not a problem because he was picked before the IIHF/NHL thingy - or was that ONLY for Scandinavia, or just Sweden and Finland?

In any case, just a few short hours away. Getting excited!

Old
06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
smitty10

Quote:

Germans don't have to be signed after two years anymore, as there is no transfer-agreement in place. See Holzer being signed four years after being drafted.

I wouldn't bet on Höfflin and Noebels being drafted, but if I had to chose one who has better chances I'd take Noebels.
I agree with this, but I really think that the other 3 guys will all be taken. Hopefully the Leafs grab one, I could see us using our 5th or 6th on Abeltshauser.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Sanderson

If I remember correctly, right now only Sweden and Finland have a transfer-agreement in place. I think Germany wanted to sign the original deal back in the day, but when that fell apart they didn't bother in negotiating directly with the NHL.

Until that is clarified, all Germans should be property of the teams for as long as the teams want them to be.

Can't wait for it. Though I'd love to have a draft where a German is guaranteed to go in the first round. The first round is usually rather interesting, and having multiple Germans as candidates for the second day is great as well, but you don't really get any real coverage for rounds 2-7, so having a player go in the first would add quite a lot.

I really don't like how pretty much everyone who covers the second day talks about anything but the ongoing draft. It's like all the good players went in the first round and the rest is meaningless. If you want to cover the draft, cover the draft, don't talk about other things.

Old
06-26-2010, 01:58 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
If I remember correctly, right now only Sweden and Finland have a transfer-agreement in place. I think Germany wanted to sign the original deal back in the day, but when that fell apart they didn't bother in negotiating directly with the NHL.

Until that is clarified, all Germans should be property of the teams for as long as the teams want them to be.

Can't wait for it. Though I'd love to have a draft where a German is guaranteed to go in the first round. The first round is usually rather interesting, and having multiple Germans as candidates for the second day is great as well, but you don't really get any real coverage for rounds 2-7, so having a player go in the first would add quite a lot.

I really don't like how pretty much everyone who covers the second day talks about anything but the ongoing draft. It's like all the good players went in the first round and the rest is meaningless. If you want to cover the draft, cover the draft, don't talk about other things.
Maybe you´ll get your wish next year with Tobi Rieder, too bad it didn´t work out for Kuhnhackl this year. Btw, I think it would be nice if they had a similar coverage like for the first round, for the first three or at least two.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:54 PM
mexicohockey

Kuehnhackl selected by PIT in the 4th round...this draft is slower for the germans than expected.

Old
06-26-2010, 01:57 PM
mexicohockey

Grubauer to the Caps

Old
06-26-2010, 02:42 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

151, CHI- Marco Hoffman, Ger-Jr

Anyone know anything? Is he even German?

Hmm, that's weird, they removed the pick?!

edit: apparently they meant Mirko Höfflin

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:58 PM
smitty10

Abeltshauser to San Jose at 163.

Old
06-26-2010, 03:22 PM
smitty10

David Elsner to the Predators at 194. Who is he?

Old
06-26-2010, 03:27 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Teammate of Kühnhackl I think.

Imo, German players hoping to be drafted next year should probably go to
Landshut to play alongside Tobi Rieder so that scouts notice them.

Old
06-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
See the Hockey's Future draft preview for Germany. There's info on him there.

Expected to pan out at 6'2", 210. Plays a rougher game. Doesn't always control his temper. Surely got noticed while folks were scouting Kuehnhackl.

Hard shot...

Old
06-27-2010, 06:12 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR View Post
Imo, German players hoping to be drafted next year should probably go to Landshut to play alongside Tobi Rieder so that scouts notice them.
Yep, if Rieder doesn't go to Canadian juniors or the USHL.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:06 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
See the Hockey's Future draft preview for Germany. There's info on him there.

Expected to pan out at 6'2", 210. Plays a rougher game. Doesn't always control his temper. Surely got noticed while folks were scouting Kuehnhackl.

Hard shot...
How can you predict he will grow 2-3 more inches, German genetics?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:33 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

GETTY IMAGES

GETTY IMAGES

GETTY IMAGES

Old
06-28-2010, 05:40 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
How can you predict he will grow 2-3 more inches, German genetics?
Is this a serious question?

The kid is 18 and currently 6'0" and growing.

Old
06-28-2010, 11:35 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Is this a serious question?

The kid is 18 and currently 6'0" and growing.
Half serious and half sarcastic most North Americans don't grow much if at all after being drafted.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Sanderson

Anyone got any additional info on who of those drafted in the NHL or CHL import draft is going to NA?

Obviously, Grubauer and Abeltshauser are already playing junior hockey, Kühnhackl and Rieder will make the jump as well.

Elsner wasn't drafted by a CHL-team, so he should remain in Germany. That leaves Bernhard Keil, Nicolas Latta, Marcel Noebels and Mirco Höfflin.

Keil is going over for sure, and I think I remember Höfflin and Latta leaving as well, but I'm not entirely sure, any confirmation would be nice. I haven't heard anything about Noebels yet.

Old
07-17-2010, 09:04 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Anyone got any additional info on who of those drafted in the NHL or CHL import draft is going to NA?

Obviously, Grubauer and Abeltshauser are already playing junior hockey, Kühnhackl and Rieder will make the jump as well.

Elsner wasn't drafted by a CHL-team, so he should remain in Germany. That leaves Bernhard Keil, Nicolas Latta, Marcel Noebels and Mirco Höfflin.

Keil is going over for sure, and I think I remember Höfflin and Latta leaving as well, but I'm not entirely sure, any confirmation would be nice. I haven't heard anything about Noebels yet.
noebels has an offer from seattle and will go to their camp. after that he will attend the ducks rookie camp.
he is pretty sure that he will play with seattle next season.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 09:05 AM
smitty10

Quote:

Not sure about Hofflin, but Latta is definately playing in the OHL this season. I've also heard that Keil is going to the WHL, but who knows.

Old
07-17-2010, 09:25 AM
zecke26

Quote:
I've also heard that Keil is going to the WHL, but who knows.
keil is confirmed to attend the blazers camp and would stay if he makes the team.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote