HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Abdelkader and May will be called up; Black Aces announced

Old
04-08-2010, 07:15 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

vCash: 500
Abdelkader and May will be called up; Black Aces announced

Abdelkader and May are going to be called up for the playoffs, will practice with the team, and will fight for roster spots.

Ritola, Mursak, Kindl, Janik, and Larsson will be the Black Aces, taking the ice after practice and learning what the NHL playoffs are all about.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....d_may_wil.html

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 07:18 PM
PocketGnome

McCollum and Pyett will also be up for games 3 and 4. I really hope abby can get into some games... but while Williams has been completely useless I don't think May gives us anything special. Abby in for Williams would be fine with me though.

PocketGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 08:06 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGnome View Post
McCollum and Pyett will also be up for games 3 and 4. I really hope abby can get into some games... but while Williams has been completely useless I don't think May gives us anything special. Abby in for Williams would be fine with me though.
Williams would be lucky to be signed by the god damn Oilers after the season he's had... Ugh

zetterberg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:55 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Not a fan of Williams. But I also think Abdelkader is terribly overrated around these parts.
Then again, he might be a bit hungry after a few months in the AHL

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
There is no reason Brad May should ever see his way into the lineup again.

Bob Probert Owns You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Not a fan of Williams. But I also think Abdelkader is terribly overrated around these parts.
Then again, he might be a bit hungry after a few months in the AHL
I think Abdelkader in the bottom 6 is much better than Williams in the bottom 6. Williams doesn't add anything to the PP so there's no loss there.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:30 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I think Abdelkader in the bottom 6 is much better than Williams in the bottom 6. Williams doesn't add anything to the PP so there's no loss there.
The only upside to Williams in the lineup that I can think of:
a) Him being on the PP allows Stuart to focus on defense ... When stuart was playing regular minutes plus the PK and PP, his game started to suffer.
b) If someone in the top six goes down, Williams can possibly move up and play in a scoring line role.

To be honest, think Abdelkader could be better. But it depends. If he's the Abdelkader I saw before his demotion, i don't see much upside to him being in the lineup. He wasn't skating hard enough and he wasn't hitting hard enough. Plus, he doesn't seem capable of completing a pass and his defense is shaky.
If I am Babcock, I have at least "rotating door" position in the lineup. Maybe two at forward and one at D.
Any number of forwards (Abdelkader, Miller, Eaves, Helm, Williams) would compete for their job each night.
Same thing on D (Lilja/Meech/Lebda/Ericsson).

Old
04-09-2010, 12:57 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Several people have tossed Miller's name around as a candidate to sit for Abdelkader. A couple have brought up Eaves. Newsy mentioned Helm as a possibility. I don't think any of those three will be part of a rotation. They all have significant energy/PK roles and all have been playing their ***** off.

I'd guess Williams, Draper, and Abdlekader will likely be fighting for two roster spots.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:30 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Several people have tossed Miller's name around as a candidate to sit for Abdelkader. A couple have brought up Eaves. Newsy mentioned Helm as a possibility. I don't think any of those three will be part of a rotation. They all have significant energy/PK roles and all have been playing their ***** off.

I'd guess Williams, Draper, and Abdlekader will likely be fighting for two roster spots.
As good as Eaves and Miller have been, I don't think they've earned a permanent spot in the lineup. If they have a couple bad games, I think it's conceivable they could end up in the press box.

Old
04-09-2010, 02:57 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
As good as Eaves and Miller have been, I don't think they've earned a permanent spot in the lineup. If they have a couple bad games, I think it's conceivable they could end up in the press box.
They haven't earned a permanent spot like Hank or Dats or Franzen, no. But I think they have about as permanent of spots in the lineup as bottom-6 guys can get. They are the new Draper and Maltby, in a way.

I don't think May will see a game (and if he does, Draper is the only one I can see him replacing), so that leaves Abdelkader as the only real threat. I just don't see a situation where Eaves or Miller come out of the lineup before Williams or [especially] Draper (who's averaging 9:04 since the Olympics), given the roles of those players. Eaves and Miller are the Wings #2 and 3 penalty killers, and, imo, are far more valuable to the PK than Williams is to the PP. Draper doesn't even play special teams anymore.

It's a remote possibility; remote enough that I would be shocked if it happened.

Last edited by jaster: 04-09-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old
04-09-2010, 03:27 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
They haven't earned a permanent spot like Hank or Dats or Franzen, no. But I think they have about as permanent of spots in the lineup as bottom-6 guys can get. They are the new Draper and Maltby, in a way.

I don't think May will see a game (and if he does, Draper is the only one I can see him replacing), so that leaves Abdelkader as the only real threat. I just don't see a situation where Eaves or Miller come out of the lineup before Williams or [especially] Draper (who's averaging 9:04 since the Olympics), given the roles of those players. Eaves and Miller are the Wings #2 and 3 penalty killers, and, imo, are far more valuable to the PK than Williams is to the PP. Draper doesn't even play special teams anymore.

It's a remote possibility; remote enough that I would be shocked if it happened.
I think May is a playoff kind of guy though. I hope he's in the lineup. Draper can join Osgood in the locker room as far as I'm concerned. That's where he has really made his contribution to the team this season.

The one thing that really sucks about having May, Abs and whoever else on the 4th line is that they will probably lose a lot of faceoffs.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:05 AM
HJimm

I'd take Miller or Eaves over Aby at this point in the season (and next). Both have provided some jump on the 3rd and 4th lines. They're cheap and we know what we get with them. Do you want to discard them and pick up two more cast offs that have to figure out how to produce within the Wings system? People want what we had before (07-09 but that's come and gone. Move on and rebuild.

HJimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:25 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
They're as permanent as anyone not in our top 4 D and top 4 F (Z, Pavel, Franzen and Fil).

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:35 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
They're as permanent as anyone not in our top 4 D and top 4 F (Z, Pavel, Franzen and Fil).
+1

I think the two forwards most at risk of being scratched in favor of Abdelkader or May are Draper and Williams. Eaves and Miller are as likely to be scratched as Helm, Cleary or Bertuzzi. In other words, if they're healthy they're almost certainly going to be in the lineup.

I'm honestly hoping that Abdelkader comes into the lineup to replace Draper. That would give us two real centers in the bottom six, and Draper has been reduced to useless. He barely kills penalties, he doesn't provide offense, and he's barely been getting off the bench at all lately. It is shades of Chelios before Babcock started scratching him regularly. As long as the Abdelkader from last year's playoffs shows up, he'd be a nice upgrade.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:47 AM
PocketGnome

Quote:
The only upside to Williams in the lineup that I can think of:
a) Him being on the PP allows Stuart to focus on defense ... When stuart was playing regular minutes plus the PK and PP, his game started to suffer.
b) If someone in the top six goes down, Williams can possibly move up and play in a scoring line role.

To be honest, think Abdelkader could be better. But it depends. If he's the Abdelkader I saw before his demotion, i don't see much upside to him being in the lineup. He wasn't skating hard enough and he wasn't hitting hard enough. Plus, he doesn't seem capable of completing a pass and his defense is shaky.
If I am Babcock, I have at least "rotating door" position in the lineup. Maybe two at forward and one at D.
Any number of forwards (Abdelkader, Miller, Eaves, Helm, Williams) would compete for their job each night.
Same thing on D (Lilja/Meech/Lebda/Ericsson).
Helm, Eaves and Miller? Really? The PK role those guys have been playing is not worth messing up trying to fit Abby in. Take out Williams or Draper maybe, but not Eaves, Helm or Miller.

PocketGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Jussha

The only player I really want Abdelkader to replace is Williams. Chances are your fourth line isn't going to score a finesse goal anyways, and Williams doesn't strike me as the type to score a gritty garbage goal as hes soft as butter.

While Eaves and Miller if they had 2 completely horrible games in a row could be scratched, I think because of what they bring to the PK that babs will give them see cushion room if they do have a horrible game, but I mean if they were doing complete stinkers out there, in reality anyone on the bottom 6 could be scratched.

Williams though just seems like he would be useful for playoff hockey, sure we could use him on the PP at the point, but at this point I'd rather just distribute the 2 min pp between lidstrom rafalski and Kronwall. Have Lid and Raf out for the first min, switch up lidstrom for Kronner for the second minute, and with 30 seconds left if the other team clears rafalski can sub back out for lidstrom.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:33 AM
8snake

Are we really discussing Eaves or Miller being benched at any point when the playoffs begin? They kill penalties, forecheck and provide speed and energy. Unless they stop doing what they've done all season they are as much of a fixture as Draper or Maltby was in their prime.

Williams, Draper and Gator are battling for one spot. Abs went down and started skating with confidence again, which was a stark contrast to how he skated when he was here earlier. He's a much better skater (as he showed in the playoffs) than he showed before he went down. IMO a bottom six of Eaves-Helm-Cleary and Miller-Abs-Draper is excellent. The 4th line probably wont see much time, but that's a line that can skate and forecheck and not be a liability defensively.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:42 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I want Abs because he is a center and we need a 4th line center, Draper can win face offs but he really looks bad at center otherwise. We need Williams for the PP though. And the thing with Abdelkader this season is his offensive game was off. But he has spent a few months in GR working on it and he has been lighting it on fire lately a totally different player. Him and May together were a nasty dou haha they would drive it hard to the net and pick fights with anyone who touched them. Anyways his offensive game is back and I would like to see this Abby in the lineup because he is clutch, big, strong, and he can play.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Cleary-Helm-Eaves
Abdelkader-Miller-Draper

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:00 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post
Are we really discussing Eaves or Miller being benched at any point when the playoffs begin? They kill penalties, forecheck and provide speed and energy. Unless they stop doing what they've done all season they are as much of a fixture as Draper or Maltby was in their prime.

Williams, Draper and Gator are battling for one spot. Abs went down and started skating with confidence again, which was a stark contrast to how he skated when he was here earlier. He's a much better skater (as he showed in the playoffs) than he showed before he went down. IMO a bottom six of Eaves-Helm-Cleary and Miller-Abs-Draper is excellent. The 4th line probably wont see much time, but that's a line that can skate and forecheck and not be a liability defensively.
I think you meant to say that Williams, Draper and Gator are battling for two spots - or put another way, one among them will be scratched as long as everyone is healthy.

Great post. Sums it up nicely. I think Abdelkader can play a role very similar to the one that Helm did last season.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
The only player I really want Abdelkader to replace is Williams. Chances are your fourth line isn't going to score a finesse goal anyways, and Williams doesn't strike me as the type to score a gritty garbage goal as hes soft as butter.
This. Williams might be useful if we need some skill to slide into the top6 but he's not skilled enough to create matchup problems nor is he physical/disruptive enough to be an effective grinder on a bottom line.

And, if we get to the point of benching/needing to replace a second player, I'd insert Ritola over May. May has experience and will be a bit more physical but Ritola has everything else.

of course, now Williams will probably score two tonight and get us the extra point with a shoot-out goal to boot.

04-09-2010, 11:40 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

Yeah, Draper is a guy, too.
It's the playoffs. If we can go a couple rounds, you know that we're going to have a guy or two who struggles.
Coaches have benched better players than patrick Eaves and Drew Miller in playoff history, I can tell you that.

I'm not sure why people (not you) take so much offense to the idea that a $450,000 UFA signing and a waiver wire pick up might sit if they sucked for a couple games.

Also,
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._hopes_to.html
Quote:
"Probably in another week or two, we’ll look to see where I’m at, see how it’s progressing with soreness and stiffness, which is getting better,’’ Maltby said on Wednesday, prior to Detroit’s 4-3 win against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

If all goes well, both with his shoulder and with a long playoff run by his teammates, Maltby hopes to return by the third round.

“If it keeps progressing this way, you never know. Wishful thinking, I guess. But ideally that’s what we’re looking for,’’ he said.

Old
04-09-2010, 11:43 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
I want Abs because he is a center and we need a 4th line center, Draper can win face offs but he really looks bad at center otherwise. We need Williams for the PP though. And the thing with Abdelkader this season is his offensive game was off. But he has spent a few months in GR working on it and he has been lighting it on fire lately a totally different player. Him and May together were a nasty dou haha they would drive it hard to the net and pick fights with anyone who touched them. Anyways his offensive game is back and I would like to see this Abby in the lineup because he is clutch, big, strong, and he can play.

I see Abs as illsuited for center.
He needs to be a winger.

Old
04-09-2010, 11:50 AM
DetBigWangs

Quote:
I see Abs as illsuited for center.
He needs to be a winger.
Then he can be Draper's wing. Or Miller's.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
Then he can be Draper's wing. Or Miller's.
Yeah it seems like Miller has been centering that line so I can see putting Abdelkader on his wing and letting Draper handle faceoff duties.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote