HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovalev Hopes To Remain A Hab

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Kovalev Hopes To Remain A Hab

KOVALEV HOPES TO REMAIN A HAB.

MONTREAL GAZETTE: Pat Hickey yesterday reported Canadiens forward Alex Kovalev, who's an unrestricted free agent in July, hopes to re-sign with the club in the off-season. Kovalev, acquired from the New York Rangers prior to the March trade deadline, said he was impressed with his treatment from his new teammates, the club's front office and the fans of Montreal. He rallied from a slow start with the Canadiens to become one of their top scorers in the playoffs, spending much of that time on a line with team captain Saku Koivu, who also voiced his hope that his new linemate will return next season.

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Brian".That won't be easy, although it's not impossible. It won't cost the Habs much to requalify their key RFA players, and it's expected they'll free up space in their payroll by allowing other UFA players, such as Joe Juneau, Yanic Perreault and Andreas Dackell, to walk. Kovalev won't get the same salary he made last season ($6.6 million), and if Gainey can't get him to sign to a lesser salary, could allow him to walk via unrestricted free agency and then hope to re-sign him for less if this year's market is adversely affected by the upcoming labour talks.
------------
THE LATEST ON THE CANADIENS.

MONTREAL GAZETTE: Red Fisher yesterday reported the Canadiens still need to improve their depth for next season. Fisher anticipates GM Bob Gainey will make several roster changes over the next couple of seasons, bringing up young talent from his farm club and also looking to pick up affordable talent in the UFA market. Fisher doubts UFAs Andreas Dackell and Yanic Perreault will be back, and believes the only way the Habs will re-sign forward Alex Kovalev is if he agrees to $3.5 million per season, roughly half of what he made this season. Meanwhile, Pat Hickey reports UFA forwards Darren Langdon and Jim Dowd will likely be re-signed but veteran blueliner Stephane Quintal might be deemed expendable if Gainey opts to bring up young defencemen like Francis Beauchemin or Ron Hainsey. Young blueliner Mike Komisarek will also earn more icetime next season after doing a good job replacing the injured Quintal in the playoffs.

Spector's Note: As I noted yesterday, the Habs might also cut Kovalev loose and then try to re-sign him for less money if the UFA market becomes as bloated as most experts seem to believe it'll be this summer. However, that's a risk, because another club might try to scoop him up. The endorsement of team captain Saku Koivu might prompt management to try to re-sign Kovalev before July 1. As for the rest, I have to agree with the assessments of Fisher and Hickey.

Old
05-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I very highly doubt Kovalev would sign for 3.5 million per season.

Old
05-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Karl Pilkington

Yeah I don't think he would sign for no less that 4.5M... I don't think his salary is that huge of a deal considering the habs are probably going to free up a little money with Juneau, Quintal and whoever else gone..

Perreault is a free agent this summer too isnt he?.. I hope BG signs him.. I know a couple people would disagree with me here, but I think he's an important part of the team.

Old
05-03-2004, 05:27 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
He better hope to remain a Hab, because we're signing him no matter what.

Old
05-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I very highly doubt Kovalev would sign for 3.5 million per season.
Ditto. It is an underwhelming figure.

Old
05-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Garnet

Ufa

UFA and salaries

Juneau $2.025M
Perreault 2.8M
Dackell 1.2M
Quintal 2.125M but I think the Habs only paid him about 500K
Sundstrom is 1.8M he's RFA and Montreal could let him walk.

And whatever is left on the Audette salary is out there. Which if theres a season next year would be a 4M pay out for this year and next.

So theres a minium 6.5M - and max. of 8.3M there freed up with UFA. So Kovy is a good possablity.
Still need a big center in my opinion!!!

Dowd only made 750K last year so he should come cheap.

Old
05-03-2004, 05:57 PM
tinyzombies

I don't think we have as much money as we think. Boivin said, in what could be seen as a stunt, that the team would lose $10 mil if they didn't make it to the third round.

So, apparently we lost $3 mil or so.

If we chop $12 mil in salaries and spend $3 mil to resign our RFA's, we still don't have the money to throw around for Kovalev.

However, if they think adding Kovalev guarantees us a playoff spot and at least $3 mil in playoff revenue, then it makes sense and we'd break even.

It's next summer that will be important, when we finally get to unload Brisebois' salary and resign Theo to a lower contract (hopefully).

Old
05-03-2004, 06:03 PM
JV

I expect the final deal to be two years, with a club option for a third, at 4.5, 5 and 5.5 million. Something like that. Kovalev can say all the nice things he wants about Mtl, but we still have to show him the money.

Old
05-03-2004, 06:06 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
It's next summer that will be important, when we finally get to unload Brisebois' salary and resign Theo to a lower contract (hopefully).
Next summer will be very, very interesting in regards to what happens with Theo.

As for Kovalev, I'd go as high as 6 for him this year. He may be worth more, but I'm taking into consideration the team's salary structure. We'd be paying him as the team's best player, which he can be on a nightly basis.

Old
05-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Howie Morenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
I expect the final deal to be two years, with a club option for a third, at 4.5, 5 and 5.5 million. Something like that. Kovalev can say all the nice things he wants about Mtl, but we still have to show him the money.
Exact numbers I was thinking of.

Old
05-03-2004, 06:12 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Next summer will be very, very interesting in regards to what happens with Theo.

As for Kovalev, I'd go as high as 6 for him this year. He may be worth more, but I'm taking into consideration the team's salary structure. We'd be paying him as the team's best player, which he can be on a nightly basis.
Next year Brisebois and Dykhuis (if we don't buy him out or dump him somehow) are UFA's and Theodore, Komisarek, Ward, Bulis, Dagenais, Damphousse, Plekanec, Bouillon and Markov (I believe) are all RFA's.

Old
05-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Natural Habs Fan

If I'm Bob Gainey what I would do is offer Kovalev something like $3.5 next year, $4.0 the year after that, $4.5 the year after with a club option for a fourth year at say $5.5 million.

Inlcuded in this package are incentives based on points & how far they make it into the playoffs.

If I'm Kovalev I would try to bargain a bit and maybe get those figures all increased by another 500k a year. Then I would take it knowing I haven't been playing my best for the last few years and don't really deserve as much as I'm making now. Plus, the people in Montreal love me.

Old
05-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
I'd give him a one year deal at 6 million or so then go from there next year. I'm worried about a multi year contract, they can go bad.

Old
05-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Next year Brisebois and Dykhuis (if we don't buy him out or dump him somehow) are UFA's and Theodore, Komisarek, Ward, Bulis, Dagenais, Damphousse, Plekanec, Bouillon and Markov (I believe) are all RFA's.
Won't Saku be a UFA next year too if we don't give him an extension? We signed him to a 2 year deal last summer if I'm not mistaking. I hope we give him a long-term deal la Alfredson.

Old
05-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Traitor8

Yes Saku Koivu would be Unrestricted Free Agent. Unless somehting horrific happens during the season then I would think(and hope) that Saku would stay in Montreal especially if Alexei Kovalev signs with Montreal.

Old
05-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
I doubt Koivu would ever leave Montreal and I hope I'm not mistaking. It was about time that the "captain curse" was removed from this team. Koivu has showed times and times again that he is one of the best captain in the league.

Old
05-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Ditto. It is an underwhelming figure.
================================================== =======
vlad ,
what do you think now?..
just the other day you said absolutly no chance of montreal signing kovy...why would he want to stay in montreal..

well listen to kovy,

MONTREAL GAZETTE: Pat Hickey yesterday reported Canadiens forward Alex Kovalev, who's an unrestricted free agent in July, hopes to re-sign with the club in the off-season. Kovalev, acquired from the New York Rangers prior to the March trade deadline, said he was impressed with his treatment from his new teammates, the club's front office and the fans of Montreal.

Old
05-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
================================================== =======
vlad ,
what do you think now?..
just the other day you said absolutly no chance of montreal signing kovy...why would he want to stay in montreal..

well listen to kovy,

MONTREAL GAZETTE: Pat Hickey yesterday reported Canadiens forward Alex Kovalev, who's an unrestricted free agent in July, hopes to re-sign with the club in the off-season. Kovalev, acquired from the New York Rangers prior to the March trade deadline, said he was impressed with his treatment from his new teammates, the club's front office and the fans of Montreal.
I'm not Vlad but I'll answer for him. Other UFAs have done the exact same thing than Kovalev just to show all the other teams that they're coveted, just to raise their market value. Hull did it and others. Federov attempted the same feat last year altough it's hard to tell if he was serious or not. I'm not saying Kovalev is faking interest but it could be. And right now I'm not expecting him to be back. If he is than it's going to be a pleasant surprise and I'll be the first to say : I KNEW THAT GAINEY WOULD DO IT !

Old
05-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Guy LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
I'm not Vlad but I'll answer for him. Other UFAs have done the exact same thing than Kovalev just to show all the other teams that they're coveted, just to raise their market value. Hull did it and others. Federov attempted the same feat last year altough it's hard to tell if he was serious or not. I'm not saying Kovalev is faking interest but it could be. And right now I'm not expecting him to be back. If he is than it's going to be a pleasant surprise and I'll be the first to say : I KNEW THAT GAINEY WOULD DO IT !
Kovalev means it, though. He said he wants to play for a young team, which we are. He also said that Montreal is a nice fit for him upon being traded at the deadline. Plus, he looked like he was thoroughly enjoying making the playoffs, something he hasn't done with New York and Pittsburgh (recently, that is, as he's won a Cup with the Rangers and been to the playoffs numerous times with the Pens). Given the fact that Koivu has openly defended him after "The Incident" and now that he's trying to plea for Kovi's return... well, I just think he's the perfect fit for our team. I'd have like to see Koivu centre Kovi and Perezhogin, but after Perezhogin's stupidity... well, I'd be surprised if that happens any time soon.

Anyway, Theo will undoubtably be re-signed for somewhere around 4mil (2mil paycut, right? Given his shaky starts in the playoffs and his one bad year... it looks right) with some type of incentives based on regular season and playoff performances... I want Theo re-signed. I don't want to have Garon starting. He's great, yeah, but Theodore's my favorite goalie. I don't think I'll survive another Roy-like trade, honestly. We give up our starters far too much. Theo's only 26 and still coming into his own right. Calgary wouldn't give Kipper up and he's 27.

Dackell's gone, Perreault will be gone (Unfortunately...), and I can see Hainsey being moved to fill Quintal's spot (he'll likely be gone). Besides, I don't think Hainsey is a "Gainey-type" player. Gainey likes defense and Hainey is primarily offensive minded.

Old
05-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Traitor8

Theodore has a contract man.

Old
05-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Guy LaFleur

Does he?

Initially I thought it was a four-year deal (5.5mil a season) upon reading this topic, but when someone mentioned Theo needing to be re-signed, I figured I might've been wrong and it must've been a two-year deal at 6mil (that's Iginla's deal, isn't it?).

Old
05-03-2004, 11:51 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy LaFleur
Does he?

Initially I thought it was a four-year deal (5.5mil a season) upon reading this topic, but when someone mentioned Theo needing to be re-signed, I figured I might've been wrong and it must've been a two-year deal at 6mil (that's Iginla's deal, isn't it?).

Theodore has a 3 year deal, with one more year left. He went from 1.65M to 5M, then 5.5M and next year 6M.

I like the 4M number for Kovalev that was in the papers. But no one can say just how contract talks will be cause unless something changes between now and July 1st, cause gms know the cba is most likely going to change come sept, so they may be more likely to keep things a little tighter.

Old
05-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Guy LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Theodore has a 3 year deal, with one more year left. He went from 1.65M to 5M, then 5.5M and next year 6M.
Thanks. I thought he was making 5.5 one year, but I wasn't sure. Boy, did Montreal get screwed with that first 5mil, eh? Got their money's worth this year though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I like the 4M number for Kovalev that was in the papers. But no one can say just how contract talks will be cause unless something changes between now and July 1st, cause gms know the cba is most likely going to change come sept, so they may be more likely to keep things a little tighter.
4-4.5mil is enough for Kovi I think. He had a good playoffs for us, but let's not forget that in the regular season, he's normally struggled outside of Pittsburgh. I don't think anyone would be smart to give him another 6mil straight-up. Perhaps even 3mil with incentives to bring it up to 5-6mil. Like 30 goals gives him an additional 1mil, while 60-70 points gives him another 1mil. He'd be up to 5mil then. If we make the playoffs give him 500,000K. 5.5mil seems more than fair. I don't like the idea of comitting to him long-term and give him big bucks straight-up.

Old
05-04-2004, 12:54 AM
Joe Maximum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy LaFleur

Calgary wouldn't give Kipper up and he's 27.
What do you mean by wouldn't give Kipper up? they just got lucky with him. They brought him in for a 2nd rounder this season and while Sutter probably expected Kipper to play well ( having seen him play in SJ ), no one can say they expected Mika to explode in such fashion. The only reason they got so lucky in the first place is because of the Turek injury coupled with the fact that SJ had a logjam at G ( their system at one point had Nabokov, Kipper, Hedberg, and later added Toskala who is a decent backup )

Old
05-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maximum
What do you mean by wouldn't give Kipper up? they just got lucky with him. They brought him in for a 2nd rounder this season and while Sutter probably expected Kipper to play well ( having seen him play in SJ ), no one can say they expected Mika to explode in such fashion. The only reason they got so lucky in the first place is because of the Turek injury coupled with the fact that SJ had a logjam at G ( their system at one point had Nabokov, Kipper, Hedberg, and later added Toskala who is a decent backup )
Decent is probably an understatement since Toskala posted numbers that are much better than Theodore. While he only played 28 games, he played against the likes of Boston, Colorado, Detroit, etc

At this point it's pretty safe to say he's a decent back up. It's also safe to say he's got some starting goalie potential.

Closed Thread