HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2010 Kings Draft Discussion

Old
06-27-2010, 03:30 PM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

vCash: 500
I think I was the only one that had us taking Toffoli..

It was too obvious, he's the perfect fit for our system.. I actually think he might be that sniper prospect we've been lacking, once he improves his skating, this guy will be top 5 prospects in the kings organization, mark my words.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:11 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Did Kopi's little bro get drafted. Gaspar..?

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Did Kopi's little bro get drafted. Gaspar..?
No he didn't get drafted, wouldn't surprise me if he will be invited to prospect camp. It will be interesting to see if he gets more games in next season. They only show him with 10 games played.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:51 PM
MollerManor

I had no idea Kopi had a little brother, lol Also played for the Jr. Kings.

http://www.winterhawks.com/team/players/?player_id=34

That would be awesome if we picked him up...

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
I had no idea Kopi had a little brother, lol Also played for the Jr. Kings.

http://www.winterhawks.com/team/players/?player_id=34

That would be awesome if we picked him up...
What sucks is with the 50 Contract limit rule, the question is do we have to use a contract on a player just because his brother is our best forward?

It's one of those things we have to see if he can handle himself in the WHL next season and if we do want we take him in the later rounds of the draft.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Gaspar sucks. Unless he's come a long way he's not worth it.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:12 PM
William H Bonney

I hope we're really not advocating signing Gasper Kopitar just because of Anze. I don't even like the idea of inviting him to the camp.

06-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I hope we're really not advocating signing Gasper Kopitar just because of Anze. I don't even like the idea of inviting him to the camp.
I see no problem inviting him to camp. He's a talented kid that's played CHL hockey.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

There is a thread in the Prospects section about who the best public speaker is out of the prospects. Can someone post Kitsyn (sp) interview that would be a riot. I dont know how to add video yet. but the part were he says I SCORE DE GOALS is priceless. Thanks

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:26 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
I see no problem inviting him to camp. He's a talented kid that's played CHL hockey.
Compared to us on HFBoards? Yeah but not really all that talented compared to the guys we could actually invite. This is a guy that, in his draft year, only managed to get into 10 games for Portland and didn't register a point. He's an NAHL quality player who's gotten more looks due to his name. He wasn't even a very good Midget AAA player.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:27 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Quote:
I heard he isn't very good, he only played in 10 games. I have a feeling the only reason he's playing in the CHL is because of his last name.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

There's nothing wrong to have him show up. It's not like inviting him is going to make us lose a spot to someone else we want to invite.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

Quote:
I'm with Reaper, Gasper is a not anywhere in the same league as his brother and would be lucky to be a pro hockey player.

Think of Wayne Gretzky's brother(s), they sucked.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
I'm with Reaper, Gasper is a not anywhere in the same league as his brother and would be lucky to be a pro hockey player.

Think of Wayne Gretzky's brother(s), they sucked.
I highly doubt he's ever going to make the NHL but there's no reason not to invite him in my mind. Half the people at the Kings prospect game may never play an NHL game.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:33 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
There's nothing wrong to have him show up. It's not like inviting him is going to make us lose a spot to someone else we want to invite.
What's the point? We should get the best possible guys that can 1) Actually offer the potential to get a contract/add depth to our ECHL, AHL squads. 2) Increase the level of competition in the camp. The better the players, the better the competition, the better for the development of our actual prospects.

I'm sure Gasper gets to be around Kings players all the time and skate with them as well due to Anze. We don't need to throw him a bone. This isn't a charity event.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:34 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
I highly doubt he's ever going to make the NHL but there's no reason not to invite him in my mind. Half the people at the Kings prospect game may never play an NHL game.
We're talking about a guy that can barely crack a lineup in the WHL...

Old
06-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
What's the point? We should get the best possible guys that can 1) Actually offer the potential to get a contract/add depth to our ECHL, AHL squads. 2) Increase the level of competition in the camp. The better the players, the better the competition, the better for the development of our actual prospects.

I'm sure Gasper gets to be around Kings players all the time and skate with them as well due to Anze. We don't need to throw him a bone. This isn't a charity event.
You make it sound like prospects look at the list of players and go "Oh **** Gaspar Kopitar is gonna be practicing, he sucks I'm not going to attend just because he's there!" It's like the people we're inviting to the camp are that much better than everyone else when they're in the same position. An undrafted player who's looking to make an impression and the Kings are willing to give them a shot.

It's a four day camp, how much better are these players going to get in a four day camp which is based mostly on scrimmaging and learning fundamentals? I feel like it's being made a much bigger deal than it really is. It's just another guy on the ice.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:47 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
You make it sound like prospects look at the list of players and go "Oh **** Gaspar Kopitar is gonna be practicing, he sucks I'm not going to attend just because he's there!" It's like the people we're inviting to the camp are that much better than everyone else when they're in the same position. An undrafted player who's looking to make an impression and the Kings are willing to give them a shot.

It's a four day camp, how much better are these players going to get in a four day camp which is based mostly on scrimmaging and learning fundamentals? I feel like it's being made a much bigger deal than it really is. It's just another guy on the ice.
I said nothing like that. But I'd prefer the guys - especially the prospects we are invested in - are out there battling and competing against a guy that's played (and done so effectively) at a higher level than Midget AAA.

I'm all for undrafted players looking to make impressions getting shots with the Kings but not just because their last name is Kopitar.

Exactly. It's only four days so why waste the precious time having an inept hockey player like Gasper out there taking up time and space?

Old
06-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
I said nothing like that. But I'd prefer the guys - especially the prospects we are invested in - are out there battling and competing against a guy that's played (and done so effectively) at a higher level than Midget AAA.

I'm all for undrafted players looking to make impressions getting shots with the Kings but not just because their last name is Kopitar.

Exactly. It's only four days so why waste the precious time having an inept hockey player like Gasper out there taking up time and space?
You're battling for a spot during training camp, you're learning during this short prospect camp. How much time are you going to waste on Kopitar over another player. I feel like you're trying to make the point that just because he hasn't played many games that he's a complete burden on the ice. It's not as big of a deal as you're making it, we're not signing him to a contract, and him being there isn't going to make other invitees not come to camp. I don't see Gaspar coming to a prospect camp as an invitee as much of a problem as you do.

Old
06-28-2010, 12:05 AM
onlyalad

Quote:

Because the Kings are trying to build a family environment. That is how teams like the Red Wings can get good players to sign for less. They treat the players like they are family. If it will make your brother in-law happy if you interview his brother you give him an interview. As long as it doesn't hurt the business.

I know Anze already has a deal in place, but other guys will look at that and may think maybe the Kings take care of their players in ways other than just money. So the kid doesn't pan out. The goodwill gesture could pay off even bigger.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:10 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
You're battling for a spot during training camp, you're learning during this short prospect camp. How much time are you going to waste on Kopitar over another player. I feel like you're trying to make the point that just because he hasn't played many games that he's a complete burden on the ice. It's not as big of a deal as you're making it, we're not signing him to a contract, and him being there isn't going to make other invitees not come to camp. I don't see Gaspar coming to a prospect camp as an invitee as much of a problem as you do.
Again, I never said my stance was based on him getting a contract or that he'd even deter anyone else from coming because they'll say "Gasper Kopitar...OMG how lame". All I'm saying is what benefit does it serve our legitimate prospects that will be there to be competing against a Gasper Kopitar? Now if we were short on invitees and needed more players and all the guys left were comparable to Gasper, sure, invite him but that isn't the case. Without that scenario, he serves no purpose. Why wouldn't you want the best possible players there? How many invitees did we bring in last year?

Old
06-28-2010, 12:13 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
Because the Kings are trying to build a family environment. That is how teams like the Red Wings can get good players to sign for less. They treat the players like they are family. If it will make your brother in-law happy if you interview his brother you give him an interview. As long as it doesn't hurt the business.

I know Anze already has a deal in place, but other guys will look at that and may think maybe the Kings take care of their players in ways other than just money. So the kid doesn't pan out. The goodwill gesture could pay off even bigger.
Have the Red Wings brought in the younger brothers of current players that are marginal hockey players that can barely crack a WHL roster in to compete in a prospects camp?

I'm sure Gasper spends plenty of time with the Kings and gets in the locker room, goes to watch practices and hangs out, plays with some of the guys in their free time, etc. I'm not advocating against that.

Old
06-28-2010, 12:21 AM
backhander

who cares about Anze's brother....we wanna win!!!!!!

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Again, I never said my stance was based on him getting a contract or that he'd even deter anyone else from coming because they'll say "Gasper Kopitar...OMG how lame". All I'm saying is what benefit does it serve our legitimate prospects that will be there to be competing against a Gasper Kopitar? Now if we were short on invitees and needed more players and all the guys left were comparable to Gasper, sure, invite him but that isn't the case. Without that scenario, he serves no purpose. Why wouldn't you want the best possible players there? How many invitees did we bring in last year?
They're gonna show up anyway, what's the difference if Kopitar is on the ice or not. It's not like we can only put 20 guys on the ice. let him skate, it's not a big deal.

Old
06-28-2010, 12:36 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
They're gonna show up anyway, what's the difference if Kopitar is on the ice or not. It's not like we can only put 20 guys on the ice. let him skate, it's not a big deal.
Just look at last year's forwards that were invitees on open tryouts. There were only three. Tyler Maxwell, a 1991 WHL player that had 33 goals and 36 assists this season in the WHL. Geoff Walker, an '87 that had put up 80 and 90 points in the QMJHL and played in the ECHL before being invited. Dennis McCauley, that had played 4 years of NCAA hockey prior.

Do you really think Gasper Kopitar would be lets say one of the Top 5 guys we could get to come? And no, just having him out there serves no purpose because he's probably not in the Top 30 guys we could invite so he would be potentially taking the spot over a more qualified, more established, more talented hockey player that would increase the level of skill and competition at the camp.