HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Kings Draft Discussion

Old
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
Because Montreal advances, correct me if I'm wrong, but we'll be selecting 18th overall? I'm probably wrong though

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:34 AM
BigBrown
Now what will we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Because Montreal advances, correct me if I'm wrong, but we'll be selecting 18th overall? I'm probably wrong though
As far as I know only teams who make the conference finals matter when it comes to draft position.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:24 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
As far as I know only teams who make the conference finals matter when it comes to draft position.
That being said, we will move up at least one spot because one of Boston or Philadelphia will be in the conference finals.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Now that the 1st round is over, are picks 1-22 confirmed yet?
Not quite yet. Montreal has the chance to drop and one of Boston/Philly is guarenteed to drop into the final 4. If you're cheering for the Ducks to get a lower pick (16th to at least 27th), you want Philadelphia to win their series.

15. Montreal*
16. Anaheim (via Philadelphia*)
17. Boston*
18. Ottawa
19. Colorado
20. Nashville
21. Los Angeles
22. Pittsburgh*
23. Detroit*
24. Phoenix
25. Buffalo
26. Atlanta (via New Jersey)
27. Vancouver*
28. Chicago*
29. San Jose*
30. Washington

*still in playoffs, draft pick still may slide down

Kings will draft no lower than 20th since Boston or Philadelphia will be in the conference finals. If Montreal happens to win their series, the Kings will draft 19th. Washington will end up picking 26th (dozen donuts they select Tinordi), but everybody else's final position will depend on how the next round shakes out.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
KingsCrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I don't know why we would have to trade up or down, I still see QH being there at our pick and he has everything that we are looking for in a player. If we were to move up I would want us to try and climb all the way up to a top 2 pick and I can't see that happening.

I like following drafting patterns of several NHL and WHL teams and have since the early 90's. I am typically around 85%ish right on my pre draft lists for these teams, that said I see this years draft as being one with only 7 pretty sure fire picks, after that there are allot of good looking players that all seem to have an equal shot at making the bigs.

When you couple my line of thinking with the fact that we are stocked up full of solid young talent with several having legitimate shots at making the NHL, I would look to make a monster trade giving up a package like Our 1st, 1-2nd,both 3rd and both 4rth round picks in an attempt to move up into the top 3.

To a team like Boston this wouldn't likely be much of a deal but, to rebuilding teams like the Oil etc I am sure there would be some consideration given to the suggestion. We might have to spruce it up a bit but why not? The draft is in L.A. and we could use another highly touted player.

Talk about making a "splash" at this years draft.

From us:

Our 1st
1-2nd
2-3rd
2-4rth

from the oposition:

One top 3 first.

The opposition would be able to completely stock up with 4 picks in the first 90 and two more before the fourth round is over. A team that drafts well could go a long way at restocking their cupboards in one deal.

I know its crazy but....
Go ahead and snipe away
Something I would love to do, I just dont see it happening unless we include a player too. Maybe someone like Moller and a combination of picks. NYI sent the #7 pick, a 3rd Round Pick and a 2nd Round pick the next year just to move two spots so your going to need to move a lot of pieces to get into the top 10 from where our draft position is at. I would say this would be a good year to move up though since we do have so many picks, as well as a stocked prospect system to get a higher end prospect. That is normally always my view on the draft. Quality over quantity, and we definitely dont need more quantity. I think we'd need to work out something with Tampa if were looking at Nino Niederreiter. I dont see him lasting past #6. Or something more feasible may be to get somewhere into the 15 and nab Etem, Skinner or Watson.

15-17 Range Im guessing:
1st, 2 (2nds), 4th

6-10 Range:
Moller, 1st, 2 (2nds), 3rd, 5th maybe Drewiske too

Last edited by KingsCrown: 04-29-2010 at 06:04 PM.
KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:47 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
Waiting 4 next year

Call your shot... who do the Kings draft in the first round?

Assuming that they do not make a trade involving this pick they should be picking somewhere around 20, or 1-2 picks either way (the mock draft I saw had them at 21).
If you are Deano, who do you take? I will never claim to be knowledgable of these draft kids but in looking at the numbers and rankings I thought this might be a nice pick.....

Ludvig Rensfeldt from the Byrnas Jrs.

#5 Euro skater 6'3" 192 LW

Good size and some skilll at a position where the Kings seem to be thin so maybe he moves up on their board, or maybe he's still there in the 2nd round. Who knows?

Who do those of you who follow these kids think it might be?

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
From the Peterborough Petes, RW Austin Watson.

Quote:
"We're using him at center and he's a big, strong force in the middle," said McRae. "He played center a little bit in Windsor, he was playing center and right wing. He's versatile; you can use him at center or on the wing. He's centering our No. 1 line right now and doing a solid job."

For the season, Watson has 20 goals and 54 points in 52 games. He had 34 points in 42 games with Windsor prior to the trade.

McRae said Watson hasn't changed his style of play at all, as he's continued to play on the penalty kill and block shots at the same high level he did before the injury.

"He took one in his first game back," said McRae. "He's not shying away. It's something in the back of his mind, but he's putting his body in front of pucks and sacrificing his body. That's one of this strengths, to get in front of shots and read the play off the penalty kill."

Blocking shots is just one of the things Watson does well. He also is a highly talented offensive player, with 19 goals -- including 7 power-play goals -- and 48 points in 51 games. It's what earned him the No. 25 spot on NHL Central Scouting's ranking of North American skaters for June's draft, and earned him an invitation to the Top Prospects Game.

"Austin is a very good penalty killer," Central Scouting's Chris Edwards, who scouts the OHL, told NHL.com. "He plays a high-energy two-way game. He's aggressive on the forecheck and he will finish his checks. He has good hands and can shoot the puck hard. He is an excellent competitor and is a good shot blocker."

"I like his energy and willingness to play a role and be good at that role. He is an excellent penalty killer and defensive player, but he has also shown good offensive puck skill and some playmaking ability."
So he's versatile, blocks shots with reckless abandon and plays on the pk. Oh yeah and he can score. This kid screams DEAN LOMBARDI!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=517358

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
With our hole at the wings it's pretty much a lock to draft a wing.

My guess would be
Quinton Howden......
he seems like a Lombardi player.
He always ranks between 14-24

Kurrilino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:04 PM
riseandfall9

Im hoping that he falls somewhat how Sibisa did. But its not likely, watched this kid play against OMSK he was ****en fantastic..And I had no clue he was going to go in this years draft I though he was a old player in the KHL.

Vladimir Tarasenko(might have misspelled) hes a 5/11 210 Pound Left Winger and plays for Sibir in the KHL

But I think we`ll end up with Kevin Hayes hes a 6/2 185 pound Left Winger. Hes a little undercooked so he could be the surprise of the draft in my eyes because hes only playing high school right now but its a really risky move that I doubt our brass would pull.

BTW...Jim Fox mentioned he thinks were going to draft 22 or 23.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:16 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Emerson Etem or Brock Nelson. Both are centers but can be moved to wing, I like Tyler Toffoli or Quinton Howden as wingers

Old
04-29-2010, 10:17 PM
onlyalad

I am going to pick
Riley Sheahan
per HF
Quote:
Talent Analysis
Excellent playmaker and scorer. Skating is effortless. Good size.

Future
Projects as a first liner, but is versatile enough to play any role.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...riley_sheahan/

except he got arrested today for being drunk with a Ducks prospect.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:19 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
I am going to pick
Riley Sheahan
per HF

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...riley_sheahan/

Sounds like a Dean type of guy except he got arrested today for being drunk with a Ducks prospect.
Was just about to mention that about him, I bet it lowers his value, not immensely, like he'll still go late first round.. but his value will drop a couple of spots down

Old
04-29-2010, 10:43 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

DL Moves up a few spots, and takes Jeff Skinner.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:44 PM
riseandfall9

I am almost sure...That the Kings will not choose anyone under 6 foot 1.

During my conversations with some of the Kings Staff they said that last years draft was the year where they thought their immediate needs in the pipeline was to draft big and tough players. As opposed to the year before where they though their pipeline needed d-man(Doughty,Teubert,Voynov)

Go down the list of players they drafted, Schenn, Clifford, Nolan ect.. they are all really big and tough players.

At this point they are trying to groom 3rd and 4th line players that fit the playoff ruff and tumble mold.

Old
04-29-2010, 10:52 PM
FrozenKing18
Goongala.

Me.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 11:07 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
DL Moves up a few spots, and takes Jeff Skinner.
I know size and height isn't a huge deal but Skinner is 5'10", 182 lbs. I think they're going to go for someone over 6 feet tall. I really like Emerson Etem or Brock Nelson.

Nelson is a '91, so he's older than a lot of the guys, 6'3" - 205 lbs, he's a center but we can move him to left wing.

Etem is a '92, 6'0" - 190 lbs. Plays the right wing.

Not to be biased but DL has a knack for drafting Canadians in the first round lol, out of the 4 drafts that DL has been here, he's selected 2006: Jonathan Bernier (CAN), Trevor Lewis (USA). 2007: Thomas Hickey (CAN). 2008: Drew Doughty (CAN), Colten Teubert (CAN). 2009: Brayden Schenn (CAN) in the first round. 1 from the QMJHL, 3 from the WHL and 1 from the OHL. If I was betting my money, I'd definitely go with a canadian prospect in the first round (Both Nelson & Etem are American). Tyler Toffoli, Quinton Howden and Ryan Martindale are 3 solid Canadian prospects

Old
04-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I would love to see the Kings select any one of Niederreiter, Etem, or Watson, Howden would be a welcome addition as would McIlrath, however, I have a feeling that all of the aforementioned will be selected before reaching the 20th or 21st pick.

I believe that some names on Central Scouting's list (such as John McFarland and Tyler Pitlick) will fall below where they are projected. I think Jordan Weal may be selected earlier than where he is projected. Other names to keep an eye on are Jeff Skinner and Brad Ross.

But the player I find very intriguing is Stanislav Galiev. He just has so much character, coming over to the U.S. to play in the USHL, where he led his team in scoring and was 2nd in QMJHL rookie scoring in the regular season and is currently the leading rookie scorer in the playoffs. His team, the Saint John Sea Dogs, is playing in the QMJHL finals. Hopefully they win so that we can all get a good look at Galiev in the Memorial Cup.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 11:10 PM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
I am almost sure...That the Kings will not choose anyone under 6 foot 1.

During my conversations with some of the Kings Staff they said that last years draft was the year where they thought their immediate needs in the pipeline was to draft big and tough players. As opposed to the year before where they though their pipeline needed d-man(Doughty,Teubert,Voynov)

Go down the list of players they drafted, Schenn, Clifford, Nolan ect.. they are all really big and tough players.

At this point they are trying to groom 3rd and 4th line players that fit the playoff ruff and tumble mold.
Seems like you have the links??

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 11:14 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
Seems like you have the links??
Word of mouth. Just conversations around the practice facility's during practice, they sit in the stands and are talkative.

Old
04-29-2010, 11:15 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I would love to see the Kings select any one of Niederreiter, Etem, or Watson, Howden would be a welcome addition as would McIlrath, however, I have a feeling that all of the aforementioned will be selected before reaching the 20th or 21st pick.

I believe that some names on Central Scouting's list (such as John McFarland and Tyler Pitlick) will fall below where they are projected. I think Jordan Weal may be selected earlier than where he is projected. Other names to keep an eye on are Jeff Skinner and Brad Ross.

But the player I find very intriguing is Stanislav Galiev. He just has so much character, coming over to the U.S. to play in the USHL, where he led his team in scoring and was 2nd in QMJHL rookie scoring in the regular season and is currently the leading rookie scorer in the playoffs. His team, the Saint John Sea Dogs, is playing in the QMJHL finals. Hopefully they win so that we can all get a good look at Galiev in the Memorial Cup.
DL loves those overseas guys who move to North America and play hockey here. Moller, Loktionov, Voynov even someone like Cznarik who was playing NCAA and finished his season with the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL. Galiev is another solid option

Old
04-29-2010, 11:16 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I know size and height isn't a huge deal but Skinner is 5'10", 182 lbs. I think they're going to go for someone over 6 feet tall. I really like Emerson Etem or Brock Nelson.

Nelson is a '91, so he's older than a lot of the guys, 6'3" - 205 lbs, he's a center but we can move him to left wing.

Etem is a '92, 6'0" - 190 lbs. Plays the right wing.

Not to be biased but DL has a knack for drafting Canadians in the first round lol, out of the 4 drafts that DL has been here, he's selected 2006: Jonathan Bernier (CAN), Trevor Lewis (USA). 2007: Thomas Hickey (CAN). 2008: Drew Doughty (CAN), Colten Teubert (CAN). 2009: Brayden Schenn (CAN) in the first round. 1 from the QMJHL, 3 from the WHL and 1 from the OHL. If I was betting my money, I'd definitely go with a canadian prospect in the first round (Both Nelson & Etem are American). Tyler Toffoli, Quinton Howden and Ryan Martindale are 3 solid Canadian prospects
Well yea. He doesn't pick euros high, their hasn't be a good enough American where he's picked(in the 1st round, anyway).

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Word from the 2008 draft was that the Kings were going to take Tikhnov with their 2nd round pick, but Phoenix moved up to pick him late in the 1st. In turn, the Kings selected Voynov then later Loktionov. Not bad selections for Option B.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 11:22 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Well yea. He doesn't pick euros high, their hasn't be a good enough American where he's picked(in the 1st round, anyway).
lol in last year's draft out of all the guys picked by the Kings, I think 2 weren't Canadian. Kolomatis and Nic Dowd.

Old
04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
no name

The best player available. I don't care which position. Hopefully a top 15 talent slips a half dozen slots.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Jarred Tinordi - D

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote