HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Kings Draft Discussion

Old
05-02-2010, 08:06 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Isn't Niederreiter going to be a top 10 pick? It would take a lot to move up that far and would not be worth it for the Kings. They are now beyond using the draft for immediate help, the Kings can use the draft to replenish what they already have.

Dean needs to continue to look for the Simmonds' type players. Off the radar type that you can get in the late 1st roung and early 2nd round. Luckily, I think this is Dean's best asset as a GM.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 08:09 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Etem seems like a clear pick. Californian so he is going to go lower then he should and has good value, goal scorer, decent size, and is also ranked in the low teens high 20's.
An American born player that plays in the WHL, DL loves guys who play in the CHL, it's the closest minor league to the NHL. Trevor Lewis was drafted out of the USHL but played a year in Owen Sound of the OHL before going to the AHL. Czarnik was playing in the NCAA, made the transfer to the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL, Loktionov went and played in Windsor of the OHL, Moller=Chilliwack of the WHL, the list goes on and on.

Old
05-02-2010, 08:26 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Ok, we have 17.

Akay47
Reaper45
KingLB
myself
Ziggy Stardust
Dick341
DapperDan
Sydor25
SuperAlmeida
TonySCV
Rommel
MN14
DP
Deano
Stupid Sexy Flanders
Tonellisghost
Legionnaire

Let me know if you're interested.
Cool! We have at least 17 players so, I'll go ahead and create a spreadsheet. And if you don't see your name included, please just remind me again. I assure you, I didn't forget you on purpose. And it's not too late to join. Just list 3 names you think may become our first round pick.

Thanks Fellas!

Last edited by The Black1963: 05-03-2010 at 06:47 PM.
The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Cool! We have at least 11 players so, I'll go ahead and create a spreadsheet. And if you don't see your name included, please just remind me again. I assure you, I didn't forget you on purpose. And it's not too late to join. Just list 3 names you think may become our first round pick.

Thanks Fellas!
Barring movement, I'm gonna say Watson, Etem, Tarasenko.

Edit: if we do move up, I pray for Neiderreiter HM: Skinner

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Macfarland, Nelson, Rensfeldt or Hayes. Truely, just guessing.

Howden, just because he seems like the most logical pick.
I'll go with Macfarland if I have to pick 1. Count me in. Rensfeldt as my #2.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:53 AM
deano

Lombardi seems to be very calculated in his first round picks so far. I doubt he takes a flyer on any skill player that has questionable character or 'issues'. Maybe in the second our third round he'll start taking those sort of risks, but not in the first. So here are my thoughts on who I think our scouting staff might choose in the first round.

#1 Jarred Tinordi: 6'5" 205 LD : Brings size, smarts, grit, and a gold medal as the captian of this years U18 team. Character player with a hockey pedigree, he would be seen as the eventual replacement for Sean O'Donnell or Rob Scuderi. A solid pick for a player who projects as a career NHL defenseman.

#2 Dylan McIlrath: 6'4" 214 RD: McIlrath is this years resident bad ass, and has steadily risen up all draft boards. His increased responsibilities after the departure of Travis Hamonic have rounded out and elevated his game. With defense being Lombardi's priority #1 it's hard no to see him loving McIlrath.

#3 Jason Zucker: 5'11" 175 LW : Going a bit off the board, as can be expected from Lombardi, Jason Zucker brings two gold medals and a speedy, tenacious game to the table. Zucker's star began to shine brightly as one of the youngest forwards to make the US U20 WJC team. A gold medal and a solid season in the USHL was yet to be followed by more gold at this years U18's. The Las Vegas native is a tireless worker, and someone who will be on the rise come draft day.

Last edited by deano: 05-03-2010 at 02:01 AM.
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:56 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
Lombardi seems to be very calculated in his first round picks so far. I doubt he takes a flyer on any skill player that has questionable character or 'issues'. Maybe in the second our third round he'll start taking those sort of risks, but not in the first. So here are my thoughts on who I think our scouting staff will choose.

#1 Jarred Tinordi: 6'5" 205 LD : Brings size, smarts, grit, and a gold medal as the captian of this years U18 team. Character player with a hockey pedigree, he would be seen as the eventual replacement for Sean O'Donnell or Rob Scuderi. A solid pick for a player who projects as a career NHL defenseman.

#2 Dylan McIlrath: 6'4" 214 RD: McIlrath is this years resident bad ass, and has steadily risen up all draft boards. His increased responsibilities after the departure of Travis Hamonic have rounded out and elevated his game. With defense being Lombardi's priority #1 it's hard no to see him loving McIlrath.

#3 Jason Zucker: 5'11" 175 LW : Going a bit off the board, as can be expected from Lombardi, Jason Zucker brings two gold medals and a speedy, tenacious game to the table. Zucker's star began to shine brightly as one of the youngest forwards to make the US U20 WJC team. A gold medal and a solid season in the USHL was yet to be followed by more gold at this years U18's. The Las Vegas native is a tireless worker, and someone who will be on the rise come draft day.
Great choices. If Dean were to pick a defenseman in the first round (which I personally doubt), it would be one of the two you mentioned.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 07:42 AM
XO
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I get the feeling he's gonna be a duck
That would really suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Barring movement, I'm gonna say Watson, Etem, Tarasenko.

Edit: if we do move up, I pray for Neiderreiter HM: Skinner
This is how I want it too.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:17 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Lombardi seems to be very calculated in his first round picks so far. I doubt he takes a flyer on any skill player that has questionable character or 'issues'. Maybe in the second our third round he'll start taking those sort of risks, but not in the first. So here are my thoughts on who I think our scouting staff might choose in the first round.

Like Dapper said, those are great choices... if Dean were to go defense in the first round. Our prospect pool for defenseman is sooo deep, we just signed Jake Muzzin, who is another great defenseman, just earned a bunch of awards. Hickey, Voynov, Teubert, Martinez, Drewiske, Campbell, Muzzin, Deslauriers.. Our biggest need is a scoring winger, now don't get me wrong, we'll eventually select a couple defenseman in the later rounds, but as of right now, the biggest need is a forward

Old
05-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I'm in:

Howden
Watson
Bennett

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:16 PM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Like Dapper said, those are great choices... if Dean were to go defense in the first round. Our prospect pool for defenseman is sooo deep, we just signed Jake Muzzin, who is another great defenseman, just earned a bunch of awards. Hickey, Voynov, Teubert, Martinez, Drewiske, Campbell, Muzzin, Deslauriers.. Our biggest need is a scoring winger, now don't get me wrong, we'll eventually select a couple defenseman in the later rounds, but as of right now, the biggest need is a forward
We have a lot of puck movers in the system, but really only one spot may be open them on the big team. Martinez, Hickey, Voynov, Kolomatis, Mullen and Deslauriers will be battling for one spot, so I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two get moved. Teubert, and Campbell are still questionable, leaving unproven Muzzin as the only other shut down option. It makes a lot of sense for Lombardi to draft a premier shut down player with the first pick. Especially considering how physical the playoffs are. Not to say he will, but I think there is a good chance. Drafting Tinordi also gives you four years to sign as opposed to two.

I also see need on the wing, but there will be talent and skill throughout the draft to plug those holes. It will be interesting to see what our scouts do this year.

Old
05-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

More often than not, shut down defensemen can be found in the later stages of a draft or can be signed or traded for. They are not a rare commodity that the team should burn a 1st round pick on unless it is an exceptional defenseman like a Volchenkov or Kronwall.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 02:13 PM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
More often than not, shut down defensemen can be found in the later stages of a draft or can be signed or traded for. They are not a rare commodity that the team should burn a 1st round pick on unless it is an exceptional defenseman like a Volchenkov or Kronwall.

This would be the interest in Tinordi. With the key word used being 'premier' shut down defender. I would bet that none of us had Clifford going at #35? Drafting Tinordi would not surprise me. It's just a guess anyway. I'd be happy with Howden, or Watson, or some blockbuster trade up for Niederreiter or Connolly. I'm just looking at the team, and their drafting tendencies, and see players (like the three I'd mentioned) being more their style.

Old
05-03-2010, 02:15 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Ya.. Volchenkov is a shut down dman, there are plenty on the market or you can find some in the later rounds. Selection a dman in the first round would be a mistake, imo, unless there's a stud that falls into DL's lap and he has no choice but to select him, best player available method. With that being said, I do't see that happening, a LW is our biggest need, followed by RW and even C.

In 2 years, I see our centers being

Kopitar (Slovenian Crosby)
Loktionov (Sort of like Malkin, not the same size, but Russian )
Schenn (Jordan Staal)
Handzus

Old
05-03-2010, 03:19 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I am in too.

Of course I would go with my first selection being the drum that I have been banging for awhile now in

Quinten Howden.

I have listed my reasons a few times but in short, he is big enough, full of leadership qualities, has fast hands, likes to hit and doesn't shy away from physical contact and has career solid second line center with an aggressive edge written all over him.

Now, I am of the opinion that we need a legitimate sniper right now but, if we keep our pick and don't move in any direction then I think that QH would be a perfect fit for us and shouldn't take but a year or so to make the team. He may not be the big sexy pick that gets all the attention but he is a very smart pick and has DL written all over him.

Second would be the engimatic Mr Etem.

People look at his stats and simply love the kid but, he plays allot like Frolov in that he can go games without being noticed, not that he isn't effective during that time but not at the level that you would expect. I saw him play 3 times during the regular season, before he was on allot of peoples radar and I thought that if he could put it all together he will be dead solid. He has gotten better and could continue to develop and if he reaches his potential could be great, if he doesn't he should still be a good NHL caliber player but he has the tools to be much more.

Third pick is a mess for me.

Bjugstaad?
Tinordi?
Zucker?

All have reasons to be drafted but none that jump out at me. This leaves me to the idea that if I were DL (god help us) and it came down to picking one of these three guys that I would either move our pick (down a couple) and snag wichever one of these three are left (providing he can) or I would try and move the pick as part of a package for an established player that can step in immediately.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Jonathan Merril
Riley Sheahan
Jarred Tinordi

Guess who else is draft eligible this year? Brother.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:48 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Jonathan Merril
Riley Sheahan
Jarred Tinordi

Guess who else is draft eligible this year? Brother.
But Gaspar sucksss

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 07:58 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
This is my reasoning as well, shutdown Dmen are so easily attainable in other ways (FA see skuds...) I think taking one in the first round is a waste of a pick, I didn't like the CT pick and I didn't like the L Schenn pick for the Leafs. The Kings need some more offensive talent to add to the top 6, one name I haven't seen anyone post is Burmistrov, who plays on the same team as Clifford, though physically he is defiantly a few years away ISS has him listed at 157 pounds.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:44 PM
MIDSHIPMAN

1. Brett Connolly - how did this guy drop in the ISS rankings to #13 - yes I know he's been injured.
2. Quinton Howden
3. Austin Watson

Doesn't take much to move up in the draft. Last years 1st round moves:

Columbus trades #16 and #77 (3rd round) to NYI for #26, #37 (2nd round), #62 (3rd round) and #92 (4th round) - not bad to move up 10 spots.

Minnesota trades #12 to NYI for #16 and #77 and #182 (So, NYI moved their 1st, a 2nd, 2 3rds, a 4th and a later pick to move up 14 spots).

Calgary trades #20 to New Jersey for #23 and #84 (3rd round)

Anaheim trades #21 to Columbus for #26 and #37 (2nd round)

Detroit trades #29 to Tampa Bay for #35 (2nd round) and #75 (3rd round)

I didn't include the Pronger trade as that involved players and picks and not just picks.

Not hard to move up in the 1st round if there is a specific guy you want and he's still available a few spots from where you are picking. Right now we are picking 20th with a chance at 19 (if Montreal beats Pitt) so it isn't out of the question for DL to trade up to get the #15 pick without giving up that much since we have 2 2nds and 2 thirds.

MIDSHIPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:56 AM
McSorley 33

Quote:

For our drafting position, I would take McIlrath first and Tinordi second; I would love to see DL move up in the draft and take Brad Ross early in the second. He will probably go the first few picks in the second and would be a great addition to the team. If we can't get Watson, which we won't beacause of our draft position, then Mr. Ross is the next best thing.

I also like that Devante Pelly-smith kid out of Mississauga and Dalton Smith is a Clifford clone. Either one of those two picked, with our second and third round picks, if they are still available, would be awesome.

I bet DL is targeting Dylan though, who is the ultimate DL pick. Great picks either way.

McSorley 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:01 AM
McSorley 33

All character type players:

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...er.php?id=5173

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...er.php?id=5280

http://whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=25281

http://whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=25061

Old
05-04-2010, 01:33 AM
Kopi The King
It's baaaaaack!!!

Skinner
Etem
Howden

Kopi The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:57 AM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi The King View Post
Skinner
Etem
Howden
Skinner and Etem won't be there when we pick though.....thats the problem.

Etem would be my first pick though.

Old
05-04-2010, 02:00 AM
McSorley 33

This video never gets old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ0gfSxHYRw

Good song selection too; lets draft Dalton Smith to complete the trio!

Simmonds-Clifford-Smith

Old
05-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
But Gaspar sucksss
Does he or is he just playing possum?

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote