HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are Leaf fans so hard on Defencemen? Is Dion next?

Old
04-09-2010, 07:17 PM
DropkickLogic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
No. Phaneuf is a much more physical player than McCabe, will drop the gloves. McCabes famous move, can opener, was caught on by many, players and refs. I would not call the two the same. Phaneuf will not back down but you are right. If by this time next year his game has not rounded out fans may start to loose patience but lets cut the guy some slack. He actually has a heart beat, he cares, he wants to win. The other fellow was right, McCabe had some good years in TO but he was tied to the muskoka five and probably one of the more outspoken players toward Fletcher. That is where the boos came from.
My favorite Phaneuf fight

DropkickLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:34 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
McCabe + superstar defenseman =
Mccabe was criminally underrated with the Leafs. Notice you've heard not one comment about his "Blunders" or salary since the trade?

He was a superstar offensive defenseman.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Epictetus
Release the Hounds.

vCash: 155
He does fall a lot.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Dutch Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton515 View Post

Ha, did he slip on one of his gloves? It looked like one came down right by his left skate....

Why are we so hard on defensemen? As I've said a few times before on a team like the Leaf's you've got to prove you belong EVERY game - and guys who are here to perform like Kaberle; when they go down and only score a few points in 20-25 games people will start to hate, especially coupled with his impending departure and past trade speculation - people just begin to get sick of a guy who refuses to waive but yet plays badly or even just decently...

It may seem that we have a history of hating; every year this team goes without a cup, and recently without even playoffs - every little thing any player does will be scrutinized more and more, which lead to the disastrous quick-fix management we had seen up until Burke, who has tried to rebuild through proven talent and prospective youth...

Sooo, it's only natural that when a d-man does not perform, especially one that is payed the big bucks to do so, and on top takes his own personal interests over that of the franchise, there's bound to be some hate... also, guys like McCabe were never superstar defensemen to begin with, the guy was second-tier with a big shot, quite a sloppy player and never had too much heart.. I don't get this 'leader' stuff going around about him....

You'll get guys who are the so called fan 'favorites', because what do they do? They feel the Maple Leaf and show it every game through a solid effort... just recently speaking you can see guys like White.... one reason this team has not gone anywhere is because there has been no character leading by example - which is what Phaneuf is doing right now and hopefully continues to do so... and really I don't see many of the guys on this team that truly show heart every game...

When we were actually getting somewhere this was a character team up in here - you had guys like Tucker, Domi, Yuskevich, Markov, Berard, Thomas who were there every night... the team we've got right now is full of coasters, then Phaneuf there really aren't many other guys who look to have that 'hunger', you can look at Gustavsson and Bozak, even Orr - but a bunch of this team is coasting, and when you've got a player like Kaberle who's been here so long and is playing **** you get the hate, and I'm usually quite supportive of Kaberle - I don't see him as that soft, he's a big body and is more of a skill guy in the corners and such, and his defense is not nearly as bad as others say - the thing is he has only put up like 3 points in the last 25 games when he's supposed to be our leading offensive defenseman... I love the guy but you gotta know as a professional the interest of a franchise... hockey is a team game - if you want deal with yourself get into tennis or F1 driving...

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

^ Watch Ruutu's stick.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

I always found it strange.

Toronto fans always seem to make excuses for goaltending, and put blame entirely on defense.
I remember when Raycroft started sucking at unreasonable levels, everyone would just blame the defensemen (who I thought were pretty solid that year). Raycroft was unforgivably terrible, but still the defense was blamed.

Look at this year. Toskala was statistically the worst goalie in the league. He was a downright embarrassment to hockey players (and all humanity) and look at how many people still defended him. Blame still went on the defense.

I remember games where the leafs had twice as many shots, 3 times as many odd man rushes, and 4 times as many scoring chances as the other team, but we'd still lose 5-2. Blame was somehow still put on defense.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Leafs do it to everyone.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Ratboy
Leafs DGAF.

Beauchemin is next, if he's not already there.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Brown Dog

Phaneuf will get it when the honeymoon is over, whenever that is. He's the darling of Leaf Nation right now, but his days are numbered. No doubt in my mind.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Ratboy
Leafs DGAF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Bay View Post
^ Watch Ruutu's stick.
yup. ruutu's classy.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:28 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

We only ride defenceman when we are losing, so we won't have to ride on anyone for a very long time after this year.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:30 PM
9Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Play terrible, get treated terrible

Simple

What an utterly clueless response. If you are over 21 your doomed.

9Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:29 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Play terrible, get treated terrible

Simple
Yea who cares if it has a negative effect on the team and the players ability to turn his game around.

You get to harass someone who is doing something you could only dream of and it makes you fell super cool.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Leaf Shaker

It's unfair to blame one guy, especially hockey being a team game.

It must be real hard for these guys when they reach that status of scapegoat.

Don't the fans realize they're just making the defenceman's job harder game in and game out now?

And when they get booed on home ice, how is that going to help?

Leaf Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:37 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Beauchemin is next, if he's not already there.
Yup. It seems to have already started with him.

Wait a couple years until Hall or Seguin is starts to turn into a great player. All Kessel will have to do is go through 1 ruff patch and people will get on him "cause he cost us Hall/Seguin"

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:55 PM
9Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Yea who cares if it has a negative effect on the team and the players ability to turn his game around.

You get to harass someone who is doing something you could only dream of and it makes you fell super cool.

You are so right. We are turning into one nasty self fulfilling prophecy....

****ing Beauch is in the bottom 10% of our problems but does that stop anything. Nooooooooo. He's one of our only legit players ffs. He could play on any team in the league. Do people realize we only have about 6 such players???

9Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
you forgot kaberle.
lol, I am sorry but apart from some justifiable criticism of his play of late, Kaberle has remained remarkably unscathed by Toronto fans and media. We would have run him out of town long ago if he were under the same scrutiny as his partner McCabe was. Maybe it was the salary, maybe it was his quiet attitude or maybe it was because he was drafted by the Leafs but for whatever reason Kabs has a special place in the hearts of the majority of Leaf fans.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Dutch Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Bay View Post
^ Watch Ruutu's stick.
Ha, wow - never keyed in on that thanks...

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Shaker View Post
First there was Larry Murphy.

Then Dave Ellett

Then Bryan McCabe.

I mean, these were superstar defencemen.

There were many more in between these guys.

Is Dion next?
Re: Ellett and Murphy

1996-97 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL Central 82 30 44 8 0 0 68 Points 0.415 winning percentage Out of Playoffs

Re: Bryan McCabe:

2005-06 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL Northeast 82 41 33 0 1 7 90.00 0.549 257 270 1398 Pat Quinn Out of Playoffs
2006-07 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL Northeast 82 40 31 0 4 7 91.00 0.555 258 269 1139 Paul Maurice Out of Playoffs
2007-08 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL Northeast 82 36 35 0 7 4 83.00 0.506 231 260 1087 Paul Maurice Out of Playoffs

I don't know, is Dion next?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:05 AM
AlMo

Quote:

Then Dave Ellett

Then Bryan McCabe.

Is Dion next?
Superstar dmen? What world are you living in?

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

McCabe was the ONLY one of the "muskoka 5" that waived his NTC.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:45 AM
MajorityRules*
Sior Gaisgeil

Simpe really.

The most vocal of Leaf fans are idiots.

MajorityRules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:48 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton515 View Post

What? Ruutu wants to fight and then can opens him? That is why Ruutu is such a classy player. He will get what he deserves one day, always happens that way.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Northern Dancer

Quote:

Then Dave Ellett

Then Bryan McCabe.

Is Dion next?
I think it started way before Larry Murphy, remember Jim "Howie" McKenny? The bood-birds were even on Todd Gill for awhile which I never understood. Anyone who would take on Bob Probert and hold his own in Probert's prime is OK with me.

I sense a change in Leaf Nation these days the 'in' thing to do these days is rail on young forwards. The stuff thrown at Mitchell on these boards is absolutely ridiculous. The same group are now on to Hanson and even were even ripping Irwin after just one period of play with the Buds.

It baffles me as well why we take our frustration out on just one particular player usually at the bottom of the food chain and let the multi-millionaires prima donnas on the first line off the hook, all the time !!!

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Mccabe was criminally underrated with the Leafs. Notice you've heard not one comment about his "Blunders" or salary since the trade?
Yeah that has nothing to do with him playing for the Panthers.

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote