HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Is Kirill Kabanov a possible reality or just the stereotypical Russian?

Old
04-09-2010, 09:40 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
Calle Jarnkrok....

though by the time the draft comes he might go higher.... the guy is rising like CRAZY. went from the 21st ranked Euro to the 4th
Sounds like a Karlsson

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetek View Post
wow another small swede, 5"11 159lbs.
Read he already QBs his SEL teams powerplay, I think he plays for Brynas, same Silfverberg.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:48 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetek View Post
wow another small swede, 5"11 159lbs.
Quote:
The top forward could be Calle Jarnkrok, who missed being eligible for the '09 draft by 10 days. The 5-10, 154-pound center had 26 points and a plus-22 rating in 41 games with Brynas' under-20 team.

At the Under-18s, he was second on the team with 9 points, and his 7 assists tied for the team lead.

"He had a great tournament in Fargo," Stubb said. "He's small but extremely skillful. A very fast skater, very quick moves, good hands -- he's an exciting player, great attitude
After you pointed out his height I figured I'd do a quick google scan on him, and came up with this piece from an article on nhl.com.

I mean, Datsyuk is 5'11, 195 lbs. Not like a couple years he couldn't bulk up. Not sure what his game is like but if he's available when we go to pick I wouldn't let height be too much of a factor.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
salomonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieFan View Post
This comment from a coach alone is enough to make me want us to NOT draft him. We don't need a primadonna that thinks he's better than the team...we just got rid of one of those!
snap

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Wham City

As if this guy warranted more red flags, per Mckenzie's twitter...

Quote:
Prospect Kirill Kabanov stated he wants to play "somewhere warm. L.A. and Fla would be good fit."

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:02 PM
TribalDan
Why I 'Ottawa!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
Ouch...that's baaaad. LOL.

TribalDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1706
Quote:
so Kabanov is Pronger's wife?

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:46 AM
PablitoArg

I would draft him and make sure someone was always keeping a close eye on him. (Scouts, Nutritionist, personnal trainers, teachers, Brian Murray, Tim Murray, Other russians within our orginisation).

Russians don't always equal Red Flags.. Look at Volchenkov (BIG HEART)

Don't just draft the player and drop in once every 2 months to see how far he's getting along. Every week it should be. Someone needs to show him the correct path.

PablitoArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Wow.... I would almost have to call that bs if it wasent from Mckenzie's twitter. Thats a scary bad attitude, we might as well close this thread because even if the kid is available, there is no chance the Murrays even consider him.

Samsquanch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Minister of Offence

Cant say Im surprised. Ive read articles about him over the past years. All this guy cares about is becoming a star like Ovechkin.

It bewilders me why were likely one of the only teams pondering this on our board yet our GM is one of the least likely to take a Russian and a place like Ottawa does not fit his "needs" at all. Let him strain another organization...we'll find a player that didn't leave three teams this year.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Johnny Hanson

Hey, you know what? If any of you are actually wanting Murray to draft kabanov, just ring your call button and Tommy will come back there and hit you in the head with a tack hammer because you are a retard.

Johnny Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
He's been sent home by his QMJHL team, kicked off the Russian U-18 team... At some point you have to stop blaming the situation and coaches and start blaming the player.

For me, he's far too big a risk and I'd stay away.

I mean, how many of these guys worked out for us?

Ruslan Bashkirov, Alexei Kaigorodov, Ilya Zubov, Igor Mirnov, Kyrill Lyamin, Vitaly Anikeyenko?

And we basically wasted 5 2nd rounders and a 4th taking a chance on those guys.
He didn't get kicked off Moncton. He had the same "I am big Russian star, give me ice time" attitude, but played lazy hockey. Moncton got upset and benched him for conduct detrimental to the team (namely, taking lazy penalties EVERY game and REFUSING to back check) and were playing him on the fourth line (generally, what is done with lazy rookies in the Q). He abandoned the team during their playoff run, and ran to the under 18 team, where he tried to bring the same piss-poor attitude. This is why they kicked him off (Moncton would have kept him and still given him PP time, but he would be a 4th liner due entirely to laziness). Russia just doesn't want him. Keep in mind, this is his 4th team that he's burned bridges with in under a year (two KHL teams, Moncton and Russia U-18). His father is WORSE than Carl Lindros, he has multiple agents, with JP Barry being the only good one (and not having any control), and his own on-ice attitude is absolutely terrible.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
He didn't get kicked off Moncton. He had the same "I am big Russian star, give me ice time" attitude, but played lazy hockey. Moncton got upset and benched him for conduct detrimental to the team (namely, taking lazy penalties EVERY game and REFUSING to back check) and were playing him on the fourth line (generally, what is done with lazy rookies in the Q). He abandoned the team during their playoff run, and ran to the under 18 team, where he tried to bring the same piss-poor attitude. This is why they kicked him off (Moncton would have kept him and still given him PP time, but he would be a 4th liner due entirely to laziness). Russia just doesn't want him. Keep in mind, this is his 4th team that he's burned bridges with in under a year (two KHL teams, Moncton and Russia U-18). His father is WORSE than Carl Lindros, he has multiple agents, with JP Barry being the only good one (and not having any control), and his own on-ice attitude is absolutely terrible.
Wow. BM just repeat after me... DO. NOT. WANT.

This kid seems like a huge jackass.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:05 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
Any good Swedish prospects projected to go in the 20+ range pick?
Calle Jarnkrok. Swedish posters say he's the best they have seen since Wasington's Nik Backstrom. He plays on Silfverberg's Brynas team and outplayed him for most of the year.

He is rising fast.

As for Kabanov, Murray wouldn't draft him in the 7th round...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Wow are people actually making a big deal out of the fact that he would rather play somewhere warm? If I had no prior connections (being a fan) to any NHL team I would want to play somewhere warm as well.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieFan View Post
This comment from a coach alone is enough to make me want us to NOT draft him. We don't need a primadonna that thinks he's better than the team...we just got rid of one of those!
Did it occur to you the coach is making it up... Would a young kid really talk like that? Its well known Russia black lists kids, they blacklisted him, this could easily be payback.

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Wow are people actually making a big deal out of the fact that he would rather play somewhere warm? If I had no prior connections (being a fan) to any NHL team I would want to play somewhere warm as well.
It is a big deal. You play with the team that drafts you... Don't like it, go elsewhere. The NHL does not need more people like him

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Wham City

Quote:
That's fine, but teams in the league are going to look at comments like that. Ideally you want to draft a guy who's committed to your hockey team first, when you have a junior player making pronouncements like this GM's will fairly or unfairly assume he's not committed to hockey and won't be committed to their team.

It's a red flag, and an obvious one for a cold weather climate like ours.

Old
04-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
That's fine, but teams in the league are going to look at comments like that. Ideally you want to draft a guy who's committed to your hockey team first, when you have a junior player making pronouncements like this GM's will fairly or unfairly assume he's not committed to hockey and won't be committed to their team.

It's a red flag, and an obvious one for a cold weather climate like ours.
I understand what it means... but take it this way:

A company that you have dreamed of working for your whole life that could make you rich beyond your wildest dreams and involves your passion each and every day for the next 20 years has 2 offices. 1 is in Barbados and 1 is in the Arctic. Is it unreasonable for you to say you would rather be in the Barbados office.... if someone asked you? And does that in any conceivable way say that you wouldn't also be thrilled to work in the Alaska office? Not to me, it doesn't.

Kid may have attitude issues, but some things get blown out of proportion. That's all I'm saying

Old
04-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
I understand what it means... but take it this way:

A company that you have dreamed of working for your whole life that could make you rich beyond your wildest dreams and involves your passion each and every day for the next 20 years has 2 offices. 1 is in Barbados and 1 is in the Arctic. Is it unreasonable for you to say you would rather be in the Barbados office.... if someone asked you? And does that in any conceivable way say that you wouldn't also be thrilled to work in the Alaska office? Not to me, it doesn't.

Kid may have attitude issues, but some things get blown out of proportion. That's all I'm saying
Why does everyone always compare the NHL to a regular corporation? It rarely makes any sense, and this post is no exception.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
Why does everyone always compare the NHL to a regular corporation? It rarely makes any sense, and this post is no exception.
how does it make no sense. He was asked where he preferred, and he answered. If he said "no comment" people would be on here saying how he's a self centred brat for not giving an answer

Old
04-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Wham City

Quote:
how does it make no sense. He was asked where he preferred, and he answered. If he said "no comment" people would be on here saying how he's a self centred brat for not giving an answer
He prefers a warm climate, his proritites are clear, we're looking to draft guys who want to be franchise players in Ottawa, who want to be part of our organization. I haven't seen one iota of evidence that this guy's a team player.

This kid seems to think playing in the NHL is a right, when it's a privledge.

Old
04-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
He prefers a warm climate, his proritites are clear, we're looking to draft guys who want to be franchise players in Ottawa, who want to be part of our organization. I haven't seen one iota of evidence that this guy's a team player.
Ask any NHL player if he would rather live somewhere warm or somewhere frigid.
Most would say warm. As would most people. Although I suppose 18 year old hockey players should show no human reactions.

Old
04-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Ask any NHL player if he would rather live somewhere warm or somewhere frigid.
Most would say warm. As would most people. Although I suppose 18 year old hockey players should show no human reactions.
The kid is undrafted, was sent home from his junior team and the Russian national team, and now he's telegraphing where he'd liked to play.

Even if I was a fan of Florida I'd have red flags about this kid.

This kid can be as human as he likes, it's only going to hurt his draft stock. Speak your mind Kabanov, you'll only fall farther.

Everyone has preferences but that doesn't mean we're entitled to them, this kid seems to think otherwise.

Old
04-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
The kid is undrafted, was sent home from his junior team and the Russian national team, and now he's telegraphing where he'd liked to play.

Even if I was a fan of Florida I'd have red flags about this kid, not to mention the threat of playing in the KHL.

This kid can be as human as he likes, it's only going to hurt his draft stock. Speak your mind Kabanov, you'll only fall farther.
Hmm, maybe he's making his stock drop intentionally so the team that takes him can get another guy with their 1st. What a team player!