HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you want Girardi back?

View Poll Results: Do you want Girardi back?
yes 126 84.00%
no 24 16.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-09-2010, 11:03 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
okay seems from a small sample that the consensus is that we want him back. now do you think the organization will bring him back?
I think they will barring a few conditions:

1) If they can open up another defense spot for a younger player such as by moving Gilroy or demoting Redden

2) If they dont get a very good(read overpayment) return for him in the offseason.

Considering Boston wanted Girardi+ for Kessel and Sather said no I would think the Rangers organization is pretty high on him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:04 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
what do you think the right price is how much are you willing to pay for girardi? me between 2.5, maxxxx 2.75
Probably not worth than the range you mentioned abovr (2.5-2.75) no more than that.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:09 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
He plays 20 minutes a night because who else is going to. He can not rightly be described as a two-way defenseman and there for his defensive zone work is sub par for a stay-at-home. And having a high number of hits means jack *****. I can't count the number of times he gets out muscled in his own zone or passes up hitting someone.
Pretty much sums up the way I feel about Girardi.

Another thing that concerns me is that he hasn't really improved and in some ways has regressed through the years. He was a defensive stalwart when he played with Tyutin, but has struggled with consistency since fall 2008. When Girardi was first called up, he had such poise and defensive awareness that he looked like a veteran defenseman. Now he has a tendency to make rookie mistakes. Some of that has to do with playing with Del Zotto, but there are definitely some times that I've noticed Del Zotto is hung out to dry because of a mistake made by Girardi.

If Girardi is the 2nd best defenseman on this team, that's a glaring indictment of how bad the defense is. That's not a ringing endorsement for Girardi. I think an argument could be made that Rozy has been our 2nd best defenseman for most of the year. But both players have consistency issues, and neither of them would be considered top pairing guys for most teams in the league.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Pretty much sums up the way I feel about Girardi.

Another thing that concerns me is that he hasn't really improved and in some ways has regressed through the years. He was a defensive stalwart when he played with Tyutin, but has struggled with consistency since fall 2008. When Girardi was first called up, he had such poise and defensive awareness that he looked like a veteran defenseman. Now he has a tendency to make rookie mistakes. Some of that has to do with playing with Del Zotto, but there are definitely some times that I've noticed Del Zotto is hung out to dry because of a mistake made by Girardi.

If Girardi is the 2nd best defenseman on this team, that's a glaring indictment of how bad the defense is. That's not a ringing endorsement for Girardi. I think an argument could be made that Rozy has been our 2nd best defenseman for most of the year. But both players have consistency issues, and neither of them would be considered top pairing guys for most teams in the league.
That is perfectly fine, Girardi being paid at 2.5-2.75 million/season is not being paid as a top-pairing defenseman. If Rozsival and Redden weren't here the Rangers might actually be able to have another legitimate top-pairing defenseman on their team. However, just because two other players are overpaid doesnt mean you get rid of the player who fits in a role that is needed.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:26 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Solid second line D man, at this moment, I can't think of anyone else in Hartford who could really replace him so yes.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:28 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
That is perfectly fine, Girardi being paid at 2.5-2.75 million/season is not being paid as a top-pairing defenseman. If Rozsival and Redden weren't here the Rangers might actually be able to have another legitimate top-pairing defenseman on their team. However, just because two other players are overpaid doesnt mean you get rid of the player who fits in a role that is needed.
I would take Girardi back for around $2.5 million.

But I fear that he could get around $3 million, or possibly more, in arbitration, and that is too much for him. RangerBoy has written some good posts about this.

If Girardi elects arbitration, it wouldn't shock me if Sather tried to trade him like he did with Dom Moore a few years ago. And I still think there's a chance that Girardi gets traded at the draft.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:36 PM
rangers4ever2007

torn in between, might have to let him walk due to sangs' potential and cap space

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:55 PM
In The Flesh

Of course I want Girardi back. Partially because he hasn't shown all that he's got yet imo and partially because we literally have nobody else.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Absolutely. Loved the guy since he came out of nowhere with the Wolf Pack.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

If we do not get rid of Rozy/Redden, then I'd go after Volchenkov, and if we can sign him we'd trade Girardi. If we can't get Volchenkov, I'm all for resigning Dan.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:14 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't think we'll get him back at the "right price" but I guess we don't have a ton of other options. I just hope we don't sign him to a deal longer than 2 years.

I'd love for us to bury Redden, let Girardi walk, and have our D look something like this next year if we can somehow get Volchenkov:

Staal, Volchenkov, Del Zotto, Roszival, Gilroy, Sanguinetti, Ericksson/another 7th dman

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:40 AM
darko

It depends how much $$$ he wants. I see him as a decent 2nd pairing / very good 3rd pairing D-man. He has been playing better lately too.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Provolone*

Maybe im reading too much into this past Flyers game but I think a fire was lit under his ass.

I've always liked him but now I think he may play that physical Beukeboom-esqe style he's capable of.

Plus his last name is Girardi, can't hurt in New York

I think they can get him for 2 mill. til he's 30 anyways.

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:06 AM
morffin

after tonight....YES!

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 06:29 AM
rody

I find it amusing that Girardi has to play perfect or he sucks. He is a very smart physical player. doesn't take stupid selfish penalties. He his a great passer. blocks shots. he does have an offensive side when put in that position.
he has played a lot of hard minutes and is very low maintenance.
He and Staal should be here for a long time.

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yes.

but the key is "at the right price"

1.75-2 mil to me is at the right price...beyond that....ehhh.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 06:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

In a long term deal,Girardi will get more than $2.5 million. Rozsival got $20 million as a group III. Girardi is one year away from group III. Rob Scuderi got $3.4 million per as a group III from LA.

27 year old right handed shooting defenseman as a group III next summer will get more than $2.5 million. Michalek in PHX is going to command between $3.5 million-$4 million this summer as a group III and Girardi is going to accept $2.5 million in a long term deal.

Maybe $2.5 million to avoid salary arbitration and become a group III next summer.

People have Staal getting close to $4 million when he has zero leverage this summer and Girardi getting a small bump when he has ALL of leverage. Group II with arbitration rights. Potential group III next summer. NHL lotto for Girardi. Don Meehan is going to use Torts using Staal-Girardi as the Rangers shutdown pair in arbitration if it gets that far.

Good NHL defensemen receive $3.5-$4 million as group III's.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 07:26 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
In a long term deal,Girardi will get more than $2.5 million. Rozsival got $20 million as a group III. Girardi is one year away from group III. Rob Scuderi got $3.4 million per as a group III from LA.

27 year old right handed shooting defenseman as a group III next summer will get more than $2.5 million. Michalek in PHX is going to command between $3.5 million-$4 million this summer as a group III and Girardi is going to accept $2.5 million in a long term deal.

Maybe $2.5 million to avoid salary arbitration and become a group III next summer.

People have Staal getting close to $4 million when he has zero leverage this summer and Girardi getting a small bump when he has ALL of leverage. Group II with arbitration rights. Potential group III next summer. NHL lotto for Girardi. Don Meehan is going to use Torts using Staal-Girardi as the Rangers shutdown pair in arbitration if it gets that far.

Good NHL defensemen receive $3.5-$4 million as group III's.

Girardi is a 2nd pairing D-man...on a borderline, run-of-the-mill playoff team. In reality, he's a 3rd pairing D-man on a good team, who's likely to get paid made then he's worth. If the Rangers could bring him back in the $2-2.25 million range for two years, and then find a taker for Rozsival, then, yes, I'd bring him back. I don't think that's going to be the case, and the Rangers cannot afford to overpay a player like Girardi with more talented D-men coming up in the system.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 07:30 AM
msv957

Quote:
He is actually the Rangers 2nd best defenseman. He plays over 20 minutes a night consistently, he hits, he blocks shots and he is very healthy. If you don't think Girardi is a 2nd pairing defenseman I am not sure what you would classify one as.
Agreed... Girardi is a 26 year old solid/steady top 4 NHL defenseman... He can have a steady NHL career for the Rangers. A very good signing by Sather.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 07:37 AM
msv957

Quote:
Staal, Rozsival and Girardi were all over 20 minutes tonight, as they are most nights.
Throw in MDZ and the Rangers have a solid top 4 defense. (Staal, Rozy, Girardi, MDZ).. Very underrated here on HF

Heck.. even the pairing of Redden and Eriksson are solid NHL experienced defensamen rounding out the top 6...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 08:12 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Funny that this thread is made after Girardi fights Hartnell and suddenly everyone wants to keep him.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:29 AM
pld459666

after what he did last night, I want him back.

He showed that he learned from the Gaborik situation and did what a good teammate should do.

to me, he redeemed himself.

Sign him.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:30 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Funny that this thread is made after Girardi fights Hartnell and suddenly everyone wants to keep him.
I think it has more to do with the reason behind the fight than just the fight itself.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Girardi's a great defenseman. Just get rid of Gilroy.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:06 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Absolutely not. He's just going to be another overpaid third pairing defenseman.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote