HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you want Girardi back?

View Poll Results: Do you want Girardi back?
yes 126 84.00%
no 24 16.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-10-2010, 12:54 PM
nyr2417

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Totally predictable for some fans to want to re-sign him based on one fight instead of focusing on his on-ice play.

I'm glad Girardi learned his lesson, but is he fighting Hartnell to stand up for his teammate, or because he knows that all eyes are watching him after the Gaborik-Carcillo incident and he's trying to prove a point?
Last year he fought mike richards because of a vicious hit on zherdev. he typically stands up for his teammates, the gaborik thing was him just not wanting to take a 3rd man in, dont let that memory determine your judgement on danny boy

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:54 PM
SML

$1506,718 - $3,013,433 - 2010 2nd round pick
That's the level of compensation for signing an RFA. The offer has to be in that range. Letting him walk is poor asset management. Would you trade DG for a 2nd rounder? Who are you going to get who would be a better value than he is without either giving up more assets to get him or paying way more money? He had a rough first half, but to be fair, he had some off ice stuff going on. I would imagine a pregnant wife, depending on the woman of course, could put some stress on you and have your head elsewhere. So offer him 2M for 2 yrs. If he takes it, great, he's a great value and more than moveable if necessary. If someone else wants to make him a better offer, then you take the second rounder as compensation. But to just let him go is ridiculous.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If we could lock him up for 4 years, 2.5 mil I wouldnt be against it, but the fans here would probably be all over his every mistake now that he was paid appropriately. I dont want to have to listen to that for 4 years.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:02 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Probably not worth than the range you mentioned abovr (2.5-2.75) no more than that.
I'd give him a 1 yr QO (like 1.6M+)... 2M tops or trade, we have bigger priorities.

The guy hasn't progressed much since signing 2 yrs ago, light a fire under his ass.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:02 PM
DutchShamrock

For that amount of money... yes. But not any more. If we really want to move away from Redden and bring in McD or Sanguinetti then we really do need that veteran presence in the lineup.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
I'd give him a 1 yr QO (like 1.6M+)... 2M tops or trade, we have bigger priorities.

The guy hasn't progressed much since signing 2 yrs ago, light a fire under his ass.
You're kidding.

He's among the lead in the league in Hits and Blocked Shots

He hasnt missed a game since joining the team in 06-07.

He is as versatile as they come. If we let another system top 4 defenseman like Tyutin fall through the cracks for nothing I will be super pissed.

Old
04-10-2010, 01:14 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
You're kidding.

He's among the lead in the league in Hits and Blocked Shots

He hasnt missed a game since joining the team in 06-07.

He is as versatile as they come. If we let another system top 4 defenseman like Tyutin fall through the cracks for nothing I will be super pissed.
Didn't know that... his resume is excellent, but he's missing those $7M intangibles Drury has. I mean, his hits are usually pointless and ineffective... he's lacking intensity, but he never really had any. Smart player, smart as a whip, but he's not involved (Gilroy is developing similarly right now). I think his trade value might be as high, if not higher than his value to the team.

Then again, maybe I'm just a downer... btw, I voted yes, keep him.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:18 PM
NYR Viper

People have to understand that no team will have 6 top-2 defensemen. Every team needs players to fit roles, Girardi is one of them. He can play on the top pairing if the need arises but he is a second pairing defenseman. His teammates love him, he hits, he plays positionally sound and he blocks a ton of shots.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:30 PM
The Mouth

no. he's a candy ass who watched marian gaborik get pummeled.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:36 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Girardi definitely showed something last night, immediately challenging Hartnell. The Gaborik incident still bugs me but he is a solid 2nd pair dman. For the right price he is a must keep.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
no. he's a candy ass who watched marian gaborik get pummeled.
I would be interested to see you fight the "candy ass"

Old
04-10-2010, 01:53 PM
The Mouth

I'm not a fighter, but I know what it is to stick up for friends and the importance to stick up for teammates.

Girardi epically failed in the Carcillo incident and gets no quarter for that. using "candy ass" was as nice I could put it about his on ice testosterone level.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:55 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
Girardi definitely showed something last night, immediately challenging Hartnell. The Gaborik incident still bugs me but he is a solid 2nd pair dman. For the right price he is a must keep.
Not on a quality team...just look at Philly...yes, Pronger is old, but, is Girardi better than Coburn, Timmonen, Parent or Carle? Pittsburgh has Gonchar, Letang, Orpik and Goglioski. Maybe he's on a par with Jeff Schultz or Shoane Morrison, but, WAS has Carlson and Alzner on the way to go with Green and Poti. BUF has Myers with Tallinder and Rivet. OTT has Phillips, Kuba, Volchenkov and Karlsson. He's a 2nd pairing D-man on a mediocre team. NJ is the one team that seems to not bear this out.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Gaborik dropped the gloves first and sealed his fate. Once the gloves are off, you are in an honorable hockey one-on-one matchup. 3rd man in is the biggest "candy ass" move in hockey.

If Gaborik is intelligent enough to realize he cant fight it probably wont happen again.

Old
04-10-2010, 02:04 PM
rody

Quote:
I'm not a fighter, but I know what it is to stick up for friends and the importance to stick up for teammates.

Girardi epically failed in the Carcillo incident and gets no quarter for that. using "candy ass" was as nice I could put it about his on ice testosterone level.
I wish people would get over that incident, people murder, **** and steal and get forgiven. please get over it.he is a good player.
One point , Staal was standing right beside the hit on A why didn't he fight Hartnell. Girardi had to skate right over from in front of the net.. interesting.

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:05 PM
SML

Quote:

Sorry Mouth, I think you're wrong. That was one incident. The guy made a decision in a close game to not take the extra penalty and possibly cost us the game. In retrospect, he should have stepped in and stopped things. But to make him out like he's Jeff Bloemberg is just wrong. He's made amends for that AFAIC. I blame Tortorella as much for that incident as Girardi because everytime someone was taking a penalty, he was berating them and it made the whole team too scared to just go out and play. The incident addressed an issue and everybody walked away from it clearly on the same page about what will be tolerated and what is expected. If you notice, it has not happened since, be it with Girardi or anybody else on this team. It brought them all closer together.

Old
04-10-2010, 02:07 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Not on a quality team...just look at Philly...yes, Pronger is old, but, is Girardi better than Coburn, Timmonen, Parent or Carle? Pittsburgh has Gonchar, Letang, Orpik and Goglioski. Maybe he's on a par with Jeff Schultz or Shoane Morrison, but, WAS has Carlson and Alzner on the way to go with Green and Poti. BUF has Myers with Tallinder and Rivet. OTT has Phillips, Kuba, Volchenkov and Karlsson. He's a 2nd pairing D-man on a mediocre team. NJ is the one team that seems to not bear this out.
I think it's the opposite. If you put Girardi on a really good team, he'd be even better. One of the main reasons DG has looked so overmatched is because our D is not very good so he's asked to do a little too much. Go look at the Flyers board, half of them would drive Pronger or Coburn to the airport if they could get a draft pick for them.

Old
04-10-2010, 02:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
He is better than those defenseman I put in bold. Coburn and Parent have had problems all year long, they lack any sort of hands and most of the time can't make a good outlet pass. Goligoski is better offensively(granted on a much more offensive team) but defensively he isn't on par with Girardi.

He isnt great but he serves a role.

Old
04-10-2010, 02:17 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:

Cmon mouth, I expect this around here, but not from you.

Hmm, yes, yes, lets judge a guy based on one incident which in the long run really doesnt mean anything.

The guys is a workhorse. If we can sign him to a reasonable contract in the 2.5 range I'd gladly keep him. Is he spectacular? Nope, but you wont hear much complaining from me @ 2.5 mil.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:25 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Girardi fought Hartnell for two reasons last night:

1) He knew if he did nothing, again, a la the Gaborik incident, everyone would completely lose faith in him. He was trying to prove a point.

2) He wanted to go home and tell his wife that he beat up that ugly gorilla.

Not because he protects his teammates.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:28 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post

1) He knew if he did nothing, again, a la the Gaborik incident, everyone would completely lose faith in him. He was trying to prove a point.

Really, you spoke with him?

Old
04-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post

My god, he can read minds.

Old
04-10-2010, 02:30 PM
eco's bones

For the right price I would bring him back--keeping in mind the Rangers are already overpaying for Rozsival and grossly overpaying for Redden. Girardi is usually fairly steady. The Gaborik-Carcillo thing pissed me off but he made up for that a bit last night.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:32 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Really, you spoke with him?
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
My god, he can read minds.
Because common sense is equated with reading minds.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I think it's the opposite. If you put Girardi on a really good team, he'd be even better. One of the main reasons DG has looked so overmatched is because our D is not very good so he's asked to do a little too much. Go look at the Flyers board, half of them would drive Pronger or Coburn to the airport if they could get a draft pick for them.
Put Henke on the Flyers and both players look better. Put Girardi on a better team and he's a bottom pairing D-man, where he belongs. He's a solid 3rd pairing D-man. The problem is that he's going to be paid more than that.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote