HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you want Girardi back?

View Poll Results: Do you want Girardi back?
yes 126 84.00%
no 24 16.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-11-2010, 11:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Martin,Volchenkov and Hamhuis aren't going to be cheap. Michalek is going to be expensive.

Quote:
1. Paul Martin: Certainly the New Jersey Devils will attempt to keep him, but he's a much-respected, two-way defenseman. At 29, Martin can help a defense in many different ways. He is a $3.833 million cap hit, and he will likely be a $5 million defenseman after this summer.

2. Dan Hamhuis: He could have the most suitors because he's only 27, and he still has some upside. He's probably going to land somewhere near $4.5 million. The Predators also would like to re-sign him, but he would have to give them a hometown discount. Certainly he knows he would be a hot player in the free-agent market.

4. Zbynek Michalek: He might be the most underrated player on Phoenix's underrated defense. He's making $1.5 million and is playing more than 22 minutes a game. Many teams believe he's their little secret, but there will be many spirited bidders. He might not be the bargain that teams want him to be.
Quote:
7. Anton Volchenkov: Many teams are looking for a shutdown guy with shot-blocking ability. It doesn't seem like Ottawa can afford to let him go. But if he goes to market, his cap hit won't be $2.5 million anymore.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...fensemen_N.htm

Volchenkov will get Komisarek $$$-$4.5 million. Michalek will get good money. Cheap group III defensemen don't exist unless you're looking at an older player or a reclamation project or wait until September to sign the next Dennis Seidenberg.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:26 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
So why not replace the players who are the problem instead of the player who is needed to play above his head?
That can't happen if we're paying players like Girardi and others almost double what they really should be making.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:28 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
That can't happen if we're paying players like Girardi and others almost double what they really should be making.
So you're honestly saying Girardi should only get $1.5 million?

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:23 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Nhlscap.com has Girardi as non eligible? Could be a mistake?

Anyway - he's no Duber and no Zherdev so why would Sather feel bound to honor the award? I think he makes DG UFA if the award is what you suggest it might be.
Haha, yeah, he's an actual NHL player.

We should definitely keep him. He and Staal match some of the best top lines in the league and shut them down. He probably shouldn't be a top pair guy on a well rounded D, but he's a prime second pairing player and he's been a good soldier for a while now.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I voted no. I believe he will ask for $3M, and he is not worth that kind of money. No sir. If he asks for $2M, get it done, otherwise, he can find another team to sign him for that kind of money.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:38 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I voted no. I believe he will ask for $3M, and he is not worth that kind of money. No sir. If he asks for $2M, get it done, otherwise, he can find another team to sign him for that kind of money.
Ok, and who are you hoping to get for less than $3M to replace him?

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:25 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
So you think Girardi at 2.5 is double what he should be making? Look around the NHL and I think you will find that to be false.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:49 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Just my opinion but I think Girardi is worth 2.5-3 million considering what he does on the ice. But this team would definitely be wise to shed the dead weight on D if they could and add a guy like Volchenkov/Michaelk that is reliable.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Absolutely.

He gets over criticized here but he eats up minutes and is generally very solid. He's not flashy but he gets it done. He's a quiet, consistent contributor and the kind of guy you need on a team. He's not a top pairing guy (though he's often thrown into that role) but he's a good defender. I don't think he'll get too much and I want to see him back next season.

Ollie Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:09 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

If Girardi was a free agent, Hamhuis would be a comparable. Thought he was one of the best Rangers down the stretch.

I wouldn't discount Corvo as a 2-3 year player.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:13 PM
NYROrtsFan

Girardi is our 2nd or 3rd best defenseman behind Staal and maybe Rozy.

Absolutely keep him and you aren't going to get his level of play for that amount of money on the FA market.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote