HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Why we shouldnt sign Frolov....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2010, 02:27 AM
  #26
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies
 
MrPiff17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: the 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
Kulemin - Kadri - Kessel

Caputi - Grabovski - Frolov

Stalberg- Bozak - Hanson

Mitchell - Primeau - Orr

MrPiff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:31 AM
  #27
It Kills Me
Registered User
 
It Kills Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
So...Grabovski = Frolov....but people say Frolov is lazy?

Say what you will about Grabo, he's not lazy.
FRolov isnt as lazy as grabo

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 08:15 AM
  #28
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
If Grabo is lazy....

so is the entire leaf team.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 08:23 AM
  #29
AlMo
Registered User
 
AlMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,308
vCash: 500
Frolov is highly skilled but inconsistent. 4.5-5 million for a supporting player in not ideal at this point in time.

If we were going to sign Frolov then there was no need to trade for Kessel.


Last edited by AlMo: 04-10-2010 at 08:30 AM.
AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 08:48 AM
  #30
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
If we were going to sign Frolov then there was no need to trade for Kessel.
What?

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:03 AM
  #31
AlMo
Registered User
 
AlMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
What?
Frolov is not exactly a playmaking player. Both are goal scorers, Kessel more skilled obviously. There are only so many one dimensional players you can bring into a team. Who is going to pass the puck on the Leafs? Kessel and Frolov both like to hang onto it. If the Leafs have established centermen and they are a playoff team, Frolov would be a decent move but to sign a two 30 goal scorer, who has proven to be inconsistent throughout his career and doesn't give you much (Kessel) when he isn't scoring doesn't seem like an intelligent move imo.

You have Kessel, no need to go get Frolov. If you wanted Frolov, you should have kept your first round picks. Catch my drift?

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:43 AM
  #32
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Frolov is not exactly a playmaking player.
Oh really? That must be why he has 32 assists this year. Or why he had 44 in 07-08.

Or why he's had more assists than goals 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Come on.

Quote:
Both are goal scorers, Kessel more skilled obviously. There are only so many one dimensional players you can bring into a team. Who is going to pass the puck on the Leafs? Kessel and Frolov both like to hang onto it. If the Leafs have established centermen and they are a playoff team, Frolov would be a decent move but to sign a two 30 goal scorer, who has proven to be inconsistent throughout his career and doesn't give you much (Kessel) when he isn't scoring doesn't seem like an intelligent move imo.

You have Kessel, no need to go get Frolov. If you wanted Frolov, you should have kept your first round picks. Catch my drift?
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about with Frolov, so let's move on to Kessel. Kessel has 30 goals this season, but he also has 25 assists in 69 games. He is a better shooter, but clearly isn't one-dimensional. Secondly, why are you trying to claim a team only needs one player to put the puck in the net? Absolutely ridiculous.

Frolov would be a terrific complement to the Leafs attack precisely because he can pass the puck well on top of being 30 goal+ capable. I'm not saying Burke likes him or will sign him, I'm talking strictly in terms of skills.

They aren't the same player at all, and even if they were you can bet a lot of teams would love to have 2 Kessels.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:45 AM
  #33
NiL8r87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Frolov has been called lazy throughout his career. You give this guy 4-5 million a year I bet he shuts down completely.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:53 AM
  #34
LC
Registered User
 
LC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SW Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,148
vCash: 500
Kulemin will show him how to hustle.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:58 AM
  #35
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
Frolov has been called lazy throughout his career. You give this guy 4-5 million a year I bet he shuts down completely.
what are you basing this on? Rumours?? Do you watch Frolov play all the time in LA?

The guy is a big bodied skilled player and is still pretty young. He is way more responsible defensively than Phil Kessel is and if you look at his career shooting percentage he can clearly shoot the puck (14.4%). 4-5 million for him is not that bad.

I believe he has had butted heads with the LA head coach a few times but whatever, he just wants to play minutes. I don't know why phil kessel gets the benefit of the doubt around these parts when it comes to being lazy. We have all heard the stories about how he never really worked out in Boston. I guess it must be because he is on our team now. silly.

Ill take Frolov at 4-5 million over 4-5 years thanks!!

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:06 AM
  #36
Cmillz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
I think Kulemin has more upside, and will be cheaper then Frolov. We don't need him.

We need grinders like David Clarkson, Colby Armstrong but NOT if they come with stupid pricetags.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:06 AM
  #37
ovechkin93*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
He hasn't averaged 30g a season, he has averaged 24g a season.

He isn't top 6 this season, he is more like top 12.
lol shutup fenton, people like you make leaf fans look bad. frolov shouldn't be compared to grabs! period

ovechkin93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:08 AM
  #38
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,586
vCash: 500
Kaberle_Asset-Bozak-Kessel
Frolov-Kadri-Kulemin

So Frolov dropped in scoring this year?

Guess which left winger joined the team and knocked Frolov's PP Time from 260 minutes to 180 minues? Smyth.

Frolov's PP Goals went from 12 to 5.
Frolov's PP Points went from 25 to 13.

Only so many minutes to hand out and when you pick up someone like Ryan Smyth who has a huge contract you are going to play him and someone is going to lose opportunities.

Alexander Frolov
Left Wing
Born Jun 19 1982 -- Moscow, Russia
Height 6.02 -- Weight 216

Nikolai Kulemin
Wing
Born Jul 14 1986 -- Magnitogorsk, Russia
Height 6.01 -- Weight 225 -- Shoots L

These are not the tallest boys, but the toothpick Kadri in the middle would get some protection with their size.

I think it really depends on the contract he's after.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:16 AM
  #39
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiff17 View Post
Kulemin - Kadri - Kessel

Caputi - Grabovski - Frolov

Stalberg- Bozak - Hanson

Mitchell - Primeau - Orr
wow... you need to get your urine checked

Bozak on the 3rd line?????????

there is so much wrong with that lineup it would take to much time to explain

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:28 AM
  #40
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Kaberle_Asset-Bozak-Kessel
Frolov-Kadri-Kulemin

So Frolov dropped in scoring this year?

Guess which left winger joined the team and knocked Frolov's PP Time from 260 minutes to 180 minues? Smyth.

Frolov's PP Goals went from 12 to 5.
Frolov's PP Points went from 25 to 13.

Only so many minutes to hand out and when you pick up someone like Ryan Smyth who has a huge contract you are going to play him and someone is going to lose opportunities.

Alexander Frolov
Left Wing
Born Jun 19 1982 -- Moscow, Russia
Height 6.02 -- Weight 216

Nikolai Kulemin
Wing
Born Jul 14 1986 -- Magnitogorsk, Russia
Height 6.01 -- Weight 225 -- Shoots L

These are not the tallest boys, but the toothpick Kadri in the middle would get some protection with their size.

I think it really depends on the contract he's after.
Agreed. Ideally about 4.5 or so, although I could easily see a team giving him more despite his numbers being down this season. There have been some questions of Frolov's attitude which may stop Burke from pursuing him, but there were the same questions surrounding Kessel.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:32 AM
  #41
Jesus Bacon
Registered User
 
Jesus Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
I would do anything Frolove.

But I won't do that.
mmmm.. meatloaf.

Jesus Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:34 AM
  #42
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
I would do anything Frolove.

But I won't do that.
Dammit LTIR, I burst out laughing in the library. Touche good sir.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
  #43
Smif
Registered User
 
Smif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Why do we have a love affair with only buying high? He's coming off one of his worst seasons point wise so it's a perfect time to buy low. He's without a doubt a top six forward and joining our team he'd be our second best forward IMO. Having Kessel and Frolov on two different lines gives you 30+ goal scoring threats. That's something we haven't had since Sundin and Mogilny.

I'd do it if you can't already tell!

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:07 PM
  #44
thejustinfisher
Registered User
 
thejustinfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
I would do anything Frolove.

But I won't do that.
I believe this thread has now been overshadowed by the awesomeness that is Michael Lee Aday.

Thank you all for coming out.

thejustinfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:28 PM
  #45
LC
Registered User
 
LC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SW Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
Why do we have a love affair with only buying high? He's coming off one of his worst seasons point wise so it's a perfect time to buy low. He's without a doubt a top six forward and joining our team he'd be our second best forward IMO. Having Kessel and Frolov on two different lines gives you 30+ goal scoring threats. That's something we haven't had since Sundin and Mogilny.

I'd do it if you can't already tell!
People on HF want to build the perfect team, which means no player in any role can have a single perceived fault.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:37 PM
  #46
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
I would do anything Frolove.

But I won't do that.
Have you guys seen the literal version of the song on youtube... pretty funny stuff.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:40 PM
  #47
RusskiyHockey
Registered User
 
RusskiyHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
I wouldn't call Frolov lazy. He had a tough stretch early on in the season, got criticized and that was that. Maybe the coaches didn't know what to do with him with all the roster changes in LA and the arrival of Ryan Smyth. If Frolov would only care about money, then he'd be having a career year right now. Instead, he's accepted a secondary scorer role because the Kings have become deeper on the wing. I don't think he's worth less than $5+ million, but some team will sign him for that and it won't be the Leafs.

RusskiyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:41 PM
  #48
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
Murray already called him out earlier in the season.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...ay-kings-.html

He is lazy and isn't a big contributer on a competitive LA team.

Luckily Burke won't sign him anyways.
This is hilarious. He isnt a big contributor on a LA team? Any player that puts up 50+ points and 20 goals while playing solid two way hockey is certainly a important player. Yes Murray called him out at the start of the season but go check what Frolov has done in his last 30 games. He has 21 points during that stretch and has been one of the teams most consistant players in both ends. To say he isnt a valueble piece to that team is both silly and shows that you clearly dont watch many Kings games. Frolov is better then any forward we have on this team not named Kessel and is a better two way player then anyone we have up front.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:49 PM
  #49
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
This is hilarious. He isnt a big contributor on a LA team? Any player that puts up 50+ points and 20 goals while playing solid two way hockey is certainly a important player. Yes Murray called him out at the start of the season but go check what Frolov has done in his last 30 games. He has 21 points during that stretch and has been one of the teams most consistant players in both ends. To say he isnt a valueble piece to that team is both silly and shows that you clearly dont watch many Kings games. Frolov is better then any forward we have on this team not named Kessel and is a better two way player then anyone we have up front.
That screams:

Frolov-Kadri-Kulemin

Unfortunately, probably shouts $$$$ to sign him.

One thing to keep in mind is that Burke would have watched him play many times over the years of being GM on the wet coast, and most recently GM of the Ducks.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:51 PM
  #50
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies
 
MrPiff17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: the 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post


wow... you need to get your urine checked

Bozak on the 3rd line?????????

there is so much wrong with that lineup it would take to much time to explain
Get your head checked instead, those are pretty much the same lines we have now, minus Kadri and Frolov, you don't watch?

MrPiff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.