HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Why we shouldnt sign Frolov....

Old
04-11-2010, 09:34 PM
bobermay

vCash: 500
Frolov reminds me a bit of Kulemin... and what I want Kulemin to become. Frolov would be an amazing addition..

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Slapshot17

He's scored over 30 in this league twice. This year was definately an off year for him, but he wasn't exactly getting the first line minutes he has in the past. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him if the price is right. I'm way more interested in Colby Armstrong however, and just letting the kids we have keep developing. I think both Stalberg and Hanson with a year under their belts are only going to continue to get better.

Slapshot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:41 PM
MR50goalscorer
Grabo nets 50 !

Kulemin - Kadri - Kessel

Caputi - Grabovski - Frolov

Stalberg- Primeau- Hanson

Mitchell - Bozak - Orr

MR50goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Leafs4Eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurian View Post
Kulemin - Kadri - Kessel

Mitchell - Bozak - Orr
I know I might be bias cause I'm a huge Bozak fan but are you ****ing with me

Leafs4Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:07 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs4Eva View Post
You are just saying that because Bozak has the highest points per game for any rookie playing over 30 games.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
JacobimMugatu
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurian View Post
Kulemin - Kadri - Kessel

Mitchell - Bozak - Orr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs4Eva View Post
yeah hahaha
Bozak easily is ahead of Grabo and Primeau and most likely will outscore Kadri in his rookie season,

the 2nd line also has 2 left wingers.. Caputi also doesn't belong in next season's top 6

If, and only if Grabo has to stay a good top 6 would be

Frolov-Kadri-Kessel
Kulemin-Bozak-Grabovski

JacobimMugatu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Last Night I saw some of the Flames-Nucks game, and it was mentioned that the Nucks had 6 20g scorers, and
I remebered that during the Quinn era, we had that, and maybe even 7 at one point or came close. That should be the goal now.

I would welcome Frolov if he scores just 20. It would be one more 20g scorer than we have now. If Bozak, Kulemin and Stalberg, could also produce like this, I think we would be in a much better situation.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:51 PM
KLM-Line

I like Frolov. It`s just that he doesn`t look like a prime target of Burke. As of now I think Leafs will make the headlines much more with their upcoming trades than UFA signings. My guess is there will be other teams showing more dedication to sign him. Be it term or money.

The UFA crop is weak on the top6 talent but has quite a lot to offer for the bottom6. Am I the only one who hopes that Burke is going for an elite shutdown center instead of filling that position with just "decent at best" solutions (or players that just happen to be on the roster like Mitchell/Hanson)?

Colby Armstrong might be realistically the most prominent UFA target. I am with Ulf that Burke should and will look for strength/size/mean streak in the first place (trades&UFA). Trades seem to be the only scenario where you could possibly combine these requirements with some skill and youngish age.

On a sidenote. Why do people always pencil Kadri into the 1st line? While I don`t think we will feature a clear cut 1st/2nd line anyway I am pretty sure that our young rookie won`t carry the major load right from the get-go (IF he makes the team). There are enough question marks around Bozak. But he is older and at least did it for a significant stretch of games. If we are talking the depth chart for the future - well that`s another thing ...

KLM-Line is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Frolov is a perfect fit to what Burke is looking for in a top 6 winger and it's clear that many here haven't watched him play.

How many people here know that Frolov's strength is in the corners cycling the puck and stick handling by defenders making plays off the boards?

Frolov is the faster version of Antropov with better hands in finishing scoring chances. Frolov will sign somewhere at 4 years 4 to 4.5 he wont get 5 and at that number he's a perfect fit for the Leafs with either Bozak or Kadri.

These 2 kids will be the teams 1 and 2 centers Grabovski will be traded watch and see. I'll even go as far to say that if Frolov doesn't resign with L.A he will be Burke's #1 target in the UFA market.
Spot on. Very good scouting report, right here.

Frolov is a complimentary player. He's a pass-first winger that is incredibly strong on the boards and is most dangerous as a goal scorer from the face off dots in.

Anybody who calls Frolov lazy just doesn't watch a lot of Kings hockey. He was benched for one game because Terry Murray didn't like his effort and Frolov took the benching like the pro that he is. He shut his mouth and he stuck to the role that his coach wants him to play: shut down LW for the majority of the season.

The guy is #4 in terms of TOI amongst Kings forwards. He is not a 3rd or 4th liner. He played a vital shutdown role with Michal Handzus for the 1st half of the season and during the 2nd half he's spent some time with Kopitar, which didn't work out, and now he's playing on the Kings most effective line with Dustin Brown and Jarret Stoll.

Frolov is a cerebral player that never panics when the puck is on his stick. He's not fleet of foot and he will frustrate you with his unwillingness to shoot. Also, while he's big, he is not overtly physical. However, he is a master at using his big body to shield the puck from defenders. Lastly, his ability to separate an attacking player from the puck using a perfectly timed lift of the stick is his best move in the defensive third of the ice.

The Maple Leafs could a lot worse than signing Alexander Frolov.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:39 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Spot on. Very good scouting report, right here.

Frolov is a complimentary player. He's a pass-first winger that is incredibly strong on the boards and is most dangerous as a goal scorer from the face off dots in.

Anybody who calls Frolov lazy just doesn't watch a lot of Kings hockey. He was benched for one game because Terry Murray didn't like his effort and Frolov took the benching like the pro that he is. He shut his mouth and he stuck to the role that his coach wants him to play: shut down LW for the majority of the season.

The guy is #4 in terms of TOI amongst Kings forwards. He is not a 3rd or 4th liner. He played a vital shutdown role with Michal Handzus for the 1st half of the season and during the 2nd half he's spent some time with Kopitar, which didn't work out, and now he's playing on the Kings most effective line with Dustin Brown and Jarret Stoll.

Frolov is a cerebral player that never panics when the puck is on his stick. He's not fleet of foot and he will frustrate you with his unwillingness to shoot. Also, while he's big, he is not overtly physical. However, he is a master at using his big body to shield the puck from defenders. Lastly, his ability to separate an attacking player from the puck using a perfectly timed lift of the stick is his best move in the defensive third of the ice.

The Maple Leafs could a lot worse than signing Alexander Frolov.
Great post. We are missing a physical presense in the Top six, but we're missing a Frolov type player as well....

Sign Frolov and give Colorado whatver the want (not names Kadri, Schenn,Bozak, Kessel, Gunnarsson, Kulemin and Phanuef) for Chris Stewart....

A top six of:

Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel
Frolov-Kadri-Stewart

could have some mad potential

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote