HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Verizon FIOS vs. Comcast (Monmouth NJ)

Old
04-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Bruuuuuuce23

vCash: 500
Verizon FIOS vs. Comcast (Monmouth NJ)

So me, as well as another lurker on this board, are moving into places soon. We are trying to figure out whether we should go FIOS or Comcast. It seems from what I can tell from FIOS, they may not have MSG in HD. That might be a dealbreaker. Anyone have any input on this? If FIOS doesnt have it in HD, if I get the NHL package, would the Devils games be blacked out? Any FIOS users out there?

Thanks

Bruuuuuuce23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:06 AM
coolstorybro

what other lurker?

coolstorybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Beetlebum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuuuuuce23 View Post
So me, as well as another lurker on this board, are moving into places soon. We are trying to figure out whether we should go FIOS or Comcast. It seems from what I can tell from FIOS, they may not have MSG in HD. That might be a dealbreaker. Anyone have any input on this? If FIOS doesnt have it in HD, if I get the NHL package, would the Devils games be blacked out? Any FIOS users out there?

Thanks
bruce if i were you i would go to with direct tv they have the greatest capacity for hd. so every night you would get every feed in high definition on nhl center ice. with fios you are limited to three.

Beetlebum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:08 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum View Post
bruce if i were you i would go to with direct tv they have the greatest capacity for hd. so every night you would get every feed in high definition on nhl center ice. with fios you are limited to three.
Just pray theres no bad weather when watching the game

Edit: Plus if he is moving to a highly populated tree area that would not be a good ideal.

Last edited by BrodeurRULES: 04-10-2010 at 09:16 AM.
BrodeurRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Bruuuuuuce23

I cnat get down with any DIsh type of service. The whole bad whether thing would kill me.

Old
04-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Beetlebum*

Quote:
I cnat get down with any DIsh type of service. The whole bad whether thing would kill me.
my service has gone out 1 time and that was during a heavy rain storm with hail. something not seen frequently back in jersey in comparison to indiana. the bad weather thing is propaganda by the cable company.

Beetlebum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:21 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

I would go with Comcast but I am probably just being bias. Comcast doesn't always get the Devils feed in HD either if they decide to put in on overflow stations.

Old
04-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Bruuuuuuce23

yeah I know that about Comcast, which totally sucks. I did just confirm that FIOS has NO MSG channels in HD. ****. That may be a dealbreaker.

Old
04-10-2010, 09:28 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
yeah I know that about Comcast, which totally sucks. I did just confirm that FIOS has NO MSG channels in HD. ****. That may be a dealbreaker.
I believe they are still in a court battle over that issue with MSG. I know there was a link but I rather not go searching for it. lol

Old
04-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Bruuuuuuce23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post
I believe they are still in a court battle over that issue with MSG. I know there was a link but I rather not go searching for it. lol
who is in the battle Comcast or FIOS?

Old
04-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

if you want devils in HD, you better not go with Fios

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Bruuuuuuce23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
if you want devils in HD, you better not go with Fios
this harsh reality is what I was afraid of.

Old
04-10-2010, 09:46 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
who is in the battle Comcast or FIOS?
Fios duh .............Comcast already has MSG HD.

Old
04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
UFancyHuh

kinda OT: but I live in Princeton / Lawrenceville area and I have comcast, I get MSG/MSGHD but for some reason I dont get msg + or msg 2(not even in SD) anyone know why that might be? could it be may be because i fall into Flyers territory or something?

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:00 AM
dsarch

When Devils are on versus the game is on HD...so you'll get 5 games a year in HD if that is an consolation. I have it now after switching from comcast and it's better in every other way (internet, channels, quality of feed).

dsarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Bruuuuuuce23

Get out of my thread Leafs Fan!! (j/k - sort of).

..so after a quick google search, it seems there is a whold fiasco going on with the FCC, the Dolans and Verizon. May never get it.

Old
04-10-2010, 10:12 AM
NJDevils11

Quote:
Get out of my thread Leafs Fan!! (j/k - sort of).

..so after a quick google search, it seems there is a whold fiasco going on with the FCC, the Dolans and Verizon. May never get it.
FCC ruled a few months ago that they cannot continue to withhold the HD feed for games, I'm sure there will be many legal battles to ensue but it was a major step in the right direction. My family switched from Comcast to Fios probably close to 2 years ago, it is better in every single regard except for the lack of MSG HD, yes it is very annoying but I think it was still the right move to change to FIOS.

NJDevils11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:16 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils11 View Post
FCC ruled a few months ago that they cannot continue to withhold the HD feed for games, I'm sure there will be many legal battles to ensue but it was a major step in the right direction. My family switched from Comcast to Fios probably close to 2 years ago, it is better in every single regard except for the lack of MSG HD, yes it is very annoying but I think it was still the right move to change to FIOS.
FCC has way to much say in everything. Its a business if they want to with hold a feed they have every right to since its theirs. Its a dirty way to keep customers but thats what its all about unfortunately. However, I don't think it right that they do it though. Remember though there is always a way around the FCC even if they try to get tough .

I am starting to wonder if its an area thing. Since Comcast and Fios is no different in my area IMO.

Old
04-10-2010, 10:54 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

FiOS will be worth it in the long run.

Dolan is being taken to court by the FCC for withholding his channels in HD.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:43 AM
PacManNJD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan07 View Post
kinda OT: but I live in Princeton / Lawrenceville area and I have comcast, I get MSG/MSGHD but for some reason I dont get msg + or msg 2(not even in SD) anyone know why that might be? could it be may be because i fall into Flyers territory or something?
Princeton/Lawrenceville/Trenton is South Jersey, a.k.a. Flyers Country.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:57 AM
SCOTTIESTEVENS

I like everything better about Verizon tv and internet over Comcast except for the fact that I don't get Devils games in HD.

I believe its getting changed soon? Theres an old thread that discusses this and I think someone posted saying that.

SCOTTIESTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Synthetek

vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
If you think Comcast is bad, try Time Warner Cable.

Synthetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

ive had comcast for as long as i can remember and honestly i dont have many complaints

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

I keep getting flyers in the mail. FIOS triple play now $69 per month for phone, internet & TV with 2 year contract. It's $69 for the first 6 months, then it goes to $89 for months 6-11, then $99 for months 12-24.

It all depends what your priorities are. If you want the NJD in HD, then don't get it. If you want a decent price with internet speeds that never slow down and a picture quality that is never grainy, snowy, ghost, or needs amplifiers to boost crappy cable signals from the telephone pole on the street, etc, then go with Fios.

They check each run of coax with an RF meter. Because their signal is so strong, it needs to be a good quality coaxial cable. Many houses have coax that is over 30 years old, or it's the old RG-59 kind. Verizon will be forced to replace the coax in order to make the Fios work, which is a good thing, especially for HD.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:26 PM
SCOTTIESTEVENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
ive had comcast for as long as i can remember and honestly i dont have many complaints
My major reason for switching is actually pretty weird: During peak hours I used to get terrible internet connection from Comcast. Because of this, I decided to look into Verizon. I believe they were actually cheaper at the time. The internet service is WAY better than Comcast's and I prefer the Verizon cable over Comcast now.

The cable can go either way due to preference, but I feel that Verizon's internet is wayyyy better.

SCOTTIESTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote