HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Toronto Media Theory: Pull Leaf Goalie In Tie Game... Awesome

View Poll Results: Would Ron Wilson pull his goalie and go for the regulation win if the score is tied?
Yes, he would pull his goalie! Screw the Habs! 53 68.83%
No, he wouldn't pull his goalie! Go for the win, for honor! 24 31.17%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Except self respect and credibility.
How is that risking credibility or respect?

His team has nothing at all to gain by getting an OT point. It won't change their life at all.

The Canadiens have everything to gain.

Why should they not do their best to deny the Habs what they need? It's pro sports, not PeeWee.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
If the situations were reversed, I would 110% SO want us to do that to the Leafs. That being said, I doubt he does this. It just doesn't seem like something that would happen in a real game scenario, although I would want him to if I were a Leafs fan.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
It's pro sports, not PeeWee.
Exactly, it's "professional" sports.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:35 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
How is that risking credibility or respect?

His team has nothing at all to gain by getting an OT point. It won't change their life at all.

The Canadiens have everything to gain.

Why should they not do their best to deny the Habs what they need? It's pro sports, not PeeWee.
It's a complete bush league move that no one would do if their intent was to get the most points.

It's petty and bush league and most likely an idea that is the creation of imaginative medias and fans.

I've asked the question earlier in this thread, has this situation happened before in the NHL ? No one ever pulled their goalie (to my knowledge, I will issue formal apologies if proof to the contrary can be offered and retract all my comments). So if this situation has arisen before (most likely has), why has no one done it ?

Because it's bush league. Do you want to end your season getting scored in an empty net when you had a chance to actually win the game ? You have a chance to win a hockey game, and you'll throw it away for the chance to screw a rival ? That's just ridiculous. It would be so bush league I'd be flabbergasted if they did that.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:37 PM
habtastic

Let's just have a bigger lead in the third please. I think we will all have coronaries if this team that got ***** slapped by the rags last game and lost the two before doesn't get the same treatment. Yeah it's Leafs-Habs, but we should be even more motivated than them. Total domination. That's what we need.

FTR, I would understand why he would do it, but of course it makes me dislike him more. He should have stayed in SJ, he looks like a sad shark.

oh and everyone remembers this....81 games ago:

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Lucius

Quote:
It's a complete bush league move that no one would do if their intent was to get the most points.

It's petty and bush league and most likely an idea that is the creation of imaginative medias and fans.

I've asked the question earlier in this thread, has this situation happened before in the NHL ? No one ever pulled their goalie (to my knowledge, I will issue formal apologies if proof to the contrary can be offered and retract all my comments). So if this situation has arisen before (most likely has), why has no one done it ?

Because it's bush league. Do you want to end your season getting scored in an empty net when you had a chance to actually win the game ? You have a chance to win a hockey game, and you'll throw it away for the chance to screw a rival ? That's just ridiculous. It would be so bush league I'd be flabbergasted if they did that.
The closest example Berger had was in 1970 when the Habs needed a win or tie to make the playoffs... or to lose, but score five goals.

Down 4-1 in the third, they pulled the goalie for the rest of the game to try and get five goals. They lost 10-2. Slightly different situation though.

I agree this is a media/fan idea, and likely won't happen, but I disagree that it's bush league. I think there are far too many unwritten rules in pro sports. The NHL would be a more entertaining and interesting place if people didn't follow these unwritten rules.

Why not do your best to prevent your rival from getting what they need in a meaningless game? Makes for a better spectacle for the fans (entertainment) and a lesson for your team... Better than lots of teams who just play backups and minor leaguers in these situations.

It's just like why people never sign RFAs? Again, "respect."

It's boring is what it is. This is about entertainment and doing what's best for your franchise and fans. Leaf fans would probably be much more entertained by them going all out than just rolling over and letting the Habs get that point at the end.

Old
04-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

They've got nothing to lose...I wouldn't be surprised if they do it...If we were in their position, I would love for JM to pull that.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:46 PM
habtastic

As much as it's bush league...think about who we're dealing with. Hatred is a powerful thing, but when it goes unchecked, it'll come back to bite Wilson in the ass like it did at the Olympics. He's going to the darkside and not even one with cookies. He'll be so wrapped up in this, he might make some mistakes. Honour is the right path. Like I said before, if the leafs hadn't rolled over against phi, bos, nyr, fine...do what you want, but this is just gross and I pray we shall not give him the chance to do it.

key to game - let Wilson go bizerk...Martin please just make the right decisions.

Old
04-10-2010, 12:47 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
The closest example Berger had was in 1970 when the Habs needed a win or tie to make the playoffs... or to lose, but score five goals.

Down 4-1 in the third, they pulled the goalie for the rest of the game to try and get five goals.

They lost 10-2.

Slightly different situation though.
It's a completely different situation, not just slightly. I'd expect a team to try everything they can humanly do to make the playoffs. But not risk winning a hockey game for the sake of screwing over another team.

Just imagine if you're a coach, and you had a terrible season with your team. You have a chance to go ahead and win a hockey game in OT or SO in your final game. You have a chance to end the season on a high note to set things up for the next season. Instead, you're going to gamble all of this on a high risk gambit to humiliate and screw over a rival team ?

It would send a clear message that the leafs aren't about winning anymore. It would be bush league, unworthy of a professional hockey club.

Not to mention that the leafs can indeed hurt us by winning in OT. Sure we make the playoffs, but in the process we lose to a bad team that's going to miss them, and we finish lower in the standings and have to face possibly Washington/NJ and get destroyed in 4-5 games. NOW THAT would be a proper way to screw us over without losing your own dignity in the process.

Old
snakeye

Toronto pulling their goalie in a tie situation would mean that they're more concerned about another team's failure than their own success.

Won't happen.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
As much as it's bush league...think about who we're dealing with. Hatred is a powerful thing, but when it goes unchecked, it'll come back to bite Wilson in the ass like it did at the Olympics. He's going to the darkside and not even one with cookies. He'll be so wrapped up in this, he might make some mistakes. Honour is the right path. Like I said before, if the leafs hadn't rolled over against phi, bos, nyr, fine...do what you want, but this is just gross and I pray we shall not give him the chance to do it.

key to game - let Wilson go bizerk...Martin please just make the right decisions.
how exactly did Wilson have something bite him in the ass at the olympics?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:49 PM
JayBee*

Can't wait to see wha tthis board is going to look like at 10PM tonight. It won't be nice.... LMAO

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Toronto pulling their goalie in a tie situation would mean that they're more concerned about another team's failure than their own success.

Won't happen.
Exactly what I was trying to say.

Sometimes I wish I was more eloquent and succinct. I salute you for having those qualities

Old
04-10-2010, 12:51 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
how exactly did Wilson have something bite him in the ass at the olympics?
Was pretty apparent, you know aside from the outright declarations, that he wanted to take down Canada more than anything, spoil our party, etc. When he got to the Gold, you could see it. He played the underdog card again (loser). When they went to OT, you could see it. It wasn't coming from a point of "I love my team", more (or equally) "I hate Canada, killll them". It was one of the most satisfying things for me when we won. All his inner hatred being slapped in the face. The players played well and deserve all the honour. Wilson makes me miss Quinn who just wanted to win to make the Leafs win, not to make the Habs lose.

Old
04-10-2010, 12:52 PM
zx81

Will the Canes do it this afternoon if the score is tied with 1 minute to go ?

Doubtful.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Lucius

Quote:
It's a completely different situation, not just slightly. I'd expect a team to try everything they can humanly do to make the playoffs. But not risk winning a hockey game for the sake of screwing over another team.

Just imagine if you're a coach, and you had a terrible season with your team. You have a chance to go ahead and win a hockey game in OT or SO in your final game. You have a chance to end the season on a high note to set things up for the next season. Instead, you're going to gamble all of this on a high risk gambit to humiliate and screw over a rival team ?

It would send a clear message that the leafs aren't about winning anymore. It would be bush league, unworthy of a professional hockey club.

Not to mention that the leafs can indeed hurt us by winning in OT. Sure we make the playoffs, but in the process we lose to a bad team that's going to miss them, and we finish lower in the standings and have to face possibly Washington/NJ and get destroyed in 4-5 games. NOW THAT would be a proper way to screw us over without losing your own dignity in the process.
I see it as sending a message to a young team, but in my opinion, it's a good one.

They'd learn never to do what the Habs did, for damn sure.

If they pulled it off, it would be a victory, with way more meaning than a shootout win.

It'd be talked about for years if it worked, and I think give a positive end to a terrible season in Toronto. It'd be their Stanley Cup.

Old
04-10-2010, 12:54 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
If the situations were reversed, I would 110% SO want us to do that to the Leafs. That being said, I doubt he does this. It just doesn't seem like something that would happen in a real game scenario, although I would want him to if I were a Leafs fan.
If the habs ever did that, ever. I'd lose so much respect for this storied and classy franchise. I'd honestly stop watching the habs unless people involved in the decision were immediately fired and a public apology was made to the fans.

Old
04-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

Wouldn't do it. It would look unprofessional.

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:55 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
I see it as sending a message to a young team, but in my opinion, it's a good one.

They'd learn never to do what the Habs did, for damn sure.

If they pulled it off, it would be a victory, with way more meaning than a shootout win.

It'd be talked about for years if it worked, and I think give a positive end to a terrible season in Toronto.
Snakeye said it best :

Quote:
It would be a HORRIBLE message to send IMHO. It would say : "We were more concerned about screwing the habs over than setting up the next season with a bang".

I can't agree with you.

Old
04-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
All the more reason not to sit on a 1 goal lead in the 3rd period like JM likes to do.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:57 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
If the habs ever did that, ever. I'd lose so much respect for this storied and classy franchise. I'd honestly stop watching the habs unless people involved in the decision were immediately fired and a public apology was made to the fans.
your morals are sickeningly high.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Snakeye said it best :

It would be a HORRIBLE message to send IMHO. It would say : "We were more concerned about screwing the habs over than setting up the next season with a bang".

I can't agree with you.
To me, it would send the message that they wanted to set up next season with a bang.

But fair enough, we agree to disagree.

Old
04-10-2010, 01:03 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
To me, it would send the message that they wanted to set up next season with a bang.

But fair enough, we agree to disagree.
You do know that a man advantage is only around what, 20% chance to score in 2 minutes. What are the chances of scoring with 1 min 6 on 5, probably even lower. What are the chances you get scored right back ? Pulling your goalie is a desperate last measure.

You'd gamble a possible positive outcome on that ? What if you get scored on, all of a sudden you're a huge joke. The biggest joke. Not only are you pulling a bush league move, but it backfires and you actually help a rival finish higher in the standings and possibly face a weaker team while just losing the game on top of your integrity and dignity.

If I'm a coach, making close to a million dollars a year, looking forward to a long career in the NHL, there's absolutely no friggin' way I risk everything just for some petty revenge that certainly would send a mixed message at best, at the very best.

Old
04-10-2010, 01:04 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
your morals are sickeningly high.
Or maybe yours are not high enough

Old
04-10-2010, 01:05 PM
habtastic

To be fair, as unprofessional as it would be, all of the Leaf fans would support it.