HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Sacco: Duchene Deserves Calder

Old
04-11-2010, 11:39 PM
omgShakeNbake

vCash: 500
From the east coast

dude i am really hoping he gets the trophy... dude skilled it for my fantasy team and he is awesome. He does everything from being on the PP, PK and shootouts.

omgShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Would love to see him get it. But just like Stastny, he'll come in 2nd. If anyone but Meyers wins this it would be shocking.

I still don't get the Howard love either.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Mules
Hugging cap floor

Thread from the main board:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post25103787

You know that Red Wings did not have a good season this year...when they were arguing if their 26 years old goaltender should win ROTY. That's because their players are not in the contention for any other trophies/ recognitions awards.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
Thread from the main board:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post25103787

You know that Red Wings did not have a good season this year...when they were arguing if their 26 years old goaltender should win ROTY. That's because their players are not in the contention for any other trophies/ recognitions awards.
If you have a problem with his age, then change the rules. Period. He's statistically in the top ten in every category, the only goalie with better stats than Howard in all categories is Ryan Miller.

Yet, stunningly, you don't get the "hype".

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Mules
Hugging cap floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
If you have a problem with his age, then change the rules. Period. He's statistically in the top ten in every category, the only goalie with better stats than Howard in all categories is Ryan Miller.

Yet, stunningly, you don't get the "hype".
Surprise surprise.. a Wing fans who came by. Thanks for coming, but no, I don't get the hype. Hey, even your coach said that age DOES matter.

Check his comment re: Myers and Howard. And since I don't think you would put time to check it out, here is his comment:
Quote:
Mike Babcock feels age should play a role in deciding who is awarded the Calder Trophy as the league’s top rookie.
That doesn’t bode well for a possible candidate on his squad, Jimmy Howard.
“Let’s talk about the Myers kid for example, how old is he, 20,” Babcock said. “Compared to a 26-year-old. That’s a big difference.”
Howard, along with Buffalo’s Tyler Myers and Colorado’s Matt Duchene, are considered as the frontrunners to be named the three finalists for the awards.
“Howie has had an unbelievable year,” Babcock said. “Howie has won more games than (Steve) Mason (last year’s Calder winner). But Mason had just come … he was only 20 years old. I don’t know the answer.”
Howard will start Wednesday at home against Columbus, more than likely against Mason.
http://redwingsfront.wordpress.com/

Hey, I got it from Redwings forum. Maybe you should hang around there for sometime.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Surprise surprise.. a Wing fans who came by. Thanks for coming, but no, I don't get the hype. Hey, even your coach said that age DOES matter.

Check his comment re: Myers and Howard.
Does Myers deserve it over Howard? Yes.

Should age matter? Probably.

But seriously, change the rules then. If Howard deserves no consideration because he's too old or too experienced, then what does that say about the Calder's age limits? Make it 23 and there will be no debate about things like this.

Edit: I wasn't aware that there was a rule against going to other boards on HF. I didn't troll, I posted an opinion. Whatevskies.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Mules
Hugging cap floor

Quote:

But seriously, change the rules then. If Howard deserves no consideration because he's too old or too experienced, then what does that say about the Calder's age limits? Make it 23 and there will be no debate about things like this.

Edit: I wasn't aware that there was a rule against going to other boards on HF. I didn't troll, I posted an opinion. Whatevskies.
Did I ever say that Howard did not deserve nomination? Please read carefully. I don't get the hype, that's for sure because he has been playing 5 years in AHL, which is a profesional hockey league by itself.

If the age is lowered, I am sure Wings fans still up in arms wanting Howard to get nominations.

And there wasn't any rule against going to other board, but normally they put their opinions nicely.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:41 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:

Check his comment re: Myers and Howard. And since I don't think you would put time to check it out, here is his comment:

http://redwingsfront.wordpress.com/

Hey, I got it from Redwings forum. Maybe you should hang around there for sometime.
I agree with what Babcock's saying, but how can a coach say that about his own player? What an ass. He should have just kept his mouth shut, if that's how he feels.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asce View Post
Stamkos > Duchene. Duchene won't put up Stamkos' number next season, hell I'd be surprised if he breaks the 40 goal mark let alone 50.
I am just hoping for a consistent 60 or so point production from him next season, I won't expect the same growth rate as Stamkos out of Duchene.
I will be terribly dissapointed if Duchene only gets 60 points consistently in his career.

This kid has so many tools to dominate the game...

I personally do see him breaking the 40 goal mark at least once in his career and the 90 point mark.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:15 AM
StanGetz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I will be terribly dissapointed if Duchene only gets 60 points consistently in his career.

This kid has so many tools to dominate the game...

I personally do see him breaking the 40 goal mark at least once in his career and the 90 point mark.
While I'm all for this scenario playing out, Dutchy needs to have a few sessions with Sakic this summer on how to shoot the puck. He definitely isn't going to score 40 goals in a season with his current shooting abilities.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:44 PM
AyVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Myers gets alot of help on his numbers from Miller.
It actually goes both ways really.
I could argue that Miller gets a lot of help on his numbers from Myers (and the rest of their defense).

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:09 PM
NHL33*

Well, it's nice to see Babcock isn't as gutless as some Wings homers who can probably give age some credence, but not enough since it goes against their beloved player.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

If Howard were obviously the best rookie of the year and it wasn't even close, then Wings fans could we complaining about age bias.

But he isn't, Myers is. At worst Howard's age will decide whether he's 2nd or 3rd in the voting, which isn't a big deal.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:28 PM
jaisen73

Personally, I see it as a 3-way tie. Each guy played an integral part of contributing to a playoff season for their respective team. And, yes, I would argue that without Howard Detroit would have been fighting for an 8 spot like Colorado. Myers is a tremendous young defenseman and Duchene was far and away the most impressive rookie forward.

The East coast press bias plus the simple fact it is harder to be a young defender than a young forward makes me tip it to Myers, though I think Duchene made the single biggest contribution to his team; without him, Colorado is NOT in.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:

First, no one said Howard deserves "no" consideration. However, what he's done hasn't been better than Myers. As to the age issue, maybe a simple analogy will help. Lets say you're applying to a competitive program at a top tier university, and the average entrance GPA is 3.9 (like most rookies are probably 18-22). However, most such programs will have a minimum GPA set much lower than the average, say something like 3.4, in case of other circumstances or considerations that would make an individual with a lower GPA very desirable. This would be akin to the Calder age cutoff being 26 or whatever it is. IMO, the older you are as a rookie, the more outstanding you have to be to win the award. So yeah, Howard is eligible at his age, but it sure doesn't help his chances.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote