HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why should we get rid of Gagne?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2010, 04:34 PM
  #26
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,821
vCash: 500
He still puts up points and is another good two-way player.

He had a rough season because of that injury coming out of Team Canada's training camp.

Let us be honest I don't think he will make 5mil in 2011-12, unless he puts up another 45+ goals.

I also think he is one of those players willing to settle for something less in Philly then elsewhere.

So if we could sign him for somewhere in between 4-4.5 mil, then I am down for Gagne to finish his career here.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 04:35 PM
  #27
flyersfan314
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
I can't find any article. I would assume he didn't want to step on Keith's toes.

flyersfan314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 04:37 PM
  #28
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
He still puts up points and is another good two-way player.

He had a rough season because of that injury coming out of Team Canada's training camp.

Let us be honest I don't think he will make 5mil in 2011-12, unless he puts up another 45+ goals.

I also think he is one of those players willing to settle for something less in Philly then elsewhere.

So if we could sign him for somewhere in between 4-4.5 mil, then I am down for Gagne to finish his career here.
The thing is, 5 million for him can be worse. He is a smart player with still really good hands and a great release. Smart defensively and offensively. I personally feel that after his 5 million dollar contract is up, we should give him a 3 to 4 million dollar contract after that. He does well and deserves to be paid well, instead of some other players I know, I'm look at you Hartnell.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 04:42 PM
  #29
flyersfan314
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
5mil is good money for what Gagne does. After next year we may pay him about 4mil. But I'm not that worried about money, wqe will have plenty of cap room this off season.

flyersfan314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 04:44 PM
  #30
EdmFlyersfan
Registered User
 
EdmFlyersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The thing is, 5 million for him can be worse. He is a smart player with still really good hands and a great release. Smart defensively and offensively. I personally feel that after his 5 million dollar contract is up, we should give him a 3 to 4 million dollar contract after that. He does well and deserves to be paid well, instead of some other players I know, I'm look at you Hartnell.
I would not give him 1 penny over $4M and there better not be any NMC or NTC...

EdmFlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 04:44 PM
  #31
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan314 View Post
5mil is good money for what Gagne does. After next year we may pay him about 4mil. But I'm not that worried about money, wqe will have plenty of cap room this off season.
Especially if we can get rid of Boosh and Hartnell and make Coburn and Carle trade bait.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 04:59 PM
  #32
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan314 View Post
I hear a lot of talk about the Flyers getting rid of Gagne during the off season. What are people's thoughts and reasoning behind this?
Gagne is my favorite player and. He just needs to play with a good center. He should be on Giroux's line. Giroux and Gagne work together so well. If that means putting him on the second or third line and giving him a little less playing time, fine.
Injury prone, slow to come back from injuries, tends to play soft at times.

I'd have no issue if Gagne was dealt.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 04:59 PM
  #33
JVR21
Sexy Hexy
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 8,149
vCash: 50
Look around the league. Guys making around 5 mil include Getzlaf, Kessel, and Perry. Hell, I'd take Knuble over Gags any day of the week and he doesn't make over 3 mil. I wouldn't pay this guy a dime over 3.5 on a short term contract

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:00 PM
  #34
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
You do not under any circumstance give gagne a long term deal after this one expires. 2 years tops at 3mm per tops. diminsihing returns on an injuy prone player. If he doesnt like it then move on. I would look to trade him as well, wouldnt give him away but would look into it. Gagne is not part of the solution nor the problem. Sometimes you need to move players who are talented to move forward for a return that on paper doesnt look that good.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:07 PM
  #35
flyersfan314
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Gagne does not play soft. However he is slow t return from injuries, but that is normal. The problem like you said is that he is injury prone. I agree no long term contract but we should pay him 4m-5m if he won't agree to something lower.

flyersfan314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:10 PM
  #36
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan314 View Post
Gagne does not play soft. However he is slow t return from injuries, but that is normal. The problem like you said is that he is injury prone. I agree no long term contract but we should pay him 4m-5m if he won't agree to something lower.
He does play soft at times, though...it's not a constant thing. He'll have games where he has no fear, goes into traffic, will go into corners and fight for loose pucks, and then others where he's doing figure eights and waiting for the puck to come to him.

Now, granted, I have never been a huge Gagne fan. He's a very talented player, but the injury history scares me away form keeping him if there's a good return to be had.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:24 PM
  #37
flyerfan1248
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
He still puts up points and is another good two-way player.

He had a rough season because of that injury coming out of Team Canada's training camp.

Let us be honest I don't think he will make 5mil in 2011-12, unless he puts up another 45+ goals.

I also think he is one of those players willing to settle for something less in Philly then elsewhere.

So if we could sign him for somewhere in between 4-4.5 mil, then I am down for Gagne to finish his career here.
This x5

flyerfan1248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:34 PM
  #38
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Look around the league. Guys making around 5 mil include Getzlaf, Kessel, and Perry. Hell, I'd take Knuble over Gags any day of the week and he doesn't make over 3 mil. I wouldn't pay this guy a dime over 3.5 on a short term contract
They are also MUCH younger and more elite players. Gagne's contract came before they did as well. However, Gagne is a much better two-way forward than either of them. He may not have Getzlaf's size or Perry's toughness, but he definitely holds his own in every respect, using his size and all the necessary toughness to get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
He does play soft at times, though...it's not a constant thing. He'll have games where he has no fear, goes into traffic, will go into corners and fight for loose pucks, and then others where he's doing figure eights and waiting for the puck to come to him.

Now, granted, I have never been a huge Gagne fan. He's a very talented player, but the injury history scares me away form keeping him if there's a good return to be had.
For god's sake he's not Gaborik. Outside of this year, Gaborik has to be the most injury prone player in the past 10 years, even more than Lindros or Forsberg.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:41 PM
  #39
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
For god's sake he's not Gaborik. Outside of this year, Gaborik has to be the most injury prone player in the past 10 years, even more than Lindros or Forsberg.
He's not Gaborik...no way. But, he seems to be hurt every other year

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:53 PM
  #40
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
He's not Gaborik...no way. But, he seems to be hurt every other year
It's rare for a good player not to be hurt. It's part of the game.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:51 AM
  #41
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmFlyersfan View Post
Good luck, they have NTC/NMC. Lets be realistic they are not going anywhere.

Gagne can be released after next season, his contract ends. We have too many NTC/NMC handcuffing this club already we can end one next year.
just because they have NTC/NMC doesnt mean they won't waive it. in fact, if you told a player he was no longer needed on the team, they would waive it w/o question

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:28 AM
  #42
flyersfan314
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
just because they have NTC/NMC doesnt mean they won't waive it. in fact, if you told a player he was no longer needed on the team, they would waive it w/o question
hopefully...

flyersfan314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:38 AM
  #43
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,724
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan314 View Post
With Rathje's cap hit coming off, the NHL cap increasing, and multiple contracts expiring, we will have money to spend this off season. That 5.25mil is well worth the price for a player like Gagne. I don't see legitimacy in that argument, maybe you could expand it.

Sources:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=PHI
Two things...

1) Rathje is not affecting our cap (see http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=760816).

2) Many of the expiring contracts are guys who will likely be coming back (Carcillo, Coburn, Parent, etc.). And there will hopefully be some sort of goalie getting signed, whether it is Emery, Leighton, Backlund, or someone from the outside. That doesn't leave too much breathing room even if the cap is raised. The main thing that will help is Pronger's cap hit goes down and Jones comes off the books.

I love Gagne, but he is getting paid a lot of money and is on the downside of his career. If a team will take him (or Hartnell or Briere) I say let them go. Going into this season I thought, like many others, the Flyers had a legit shot to win it all. Goalie issues aside, this team is far from a real Cup contender. If they go into the season with the same guys as this year, it won't be much better. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:58 AM
  #44
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
The guy's got one year left at 5.25. See if you can extend him for cheap and deal with how he plays in the mean time. He deserves to not only stay on the team, but to have his name kept away from trash threads like this and lofty trade rumors.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:44 PM
  #45
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
The guy's got one year left at 5.25. See if you can extend him for cheap and deal with how he plays in the mean time. He deserves to not only stay on the team, but to have his name kept away from trash threads like this and lofty trade rumors.
Why does he deserve to not be discussed as a possible piece of trade bait? He's a guy with elite level skills that hasn't been elite for most of his career.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:32 PM
  #46
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
With one year left on a $5.25M cap hit contract, Gagne's contract is actually one of the more realistic contracts that is appetizing enough for another team to take a bite and send the Flyers a legitimate offer - be it for picks or younger 3rd/4th liners or a 6th/7th defenseman. His is not necessarily a contract that needs to be sent along with a draft pick away from the Flyers just to get a team to feign interest.

Then the Flyers can use that 5+ million to actually take the goaltending position seriously.

In my fantasy world, both Gagne and Hartnell are moved in lop-sided cap hit maneuvers (possibly both traded for draft picks) that opens up a ton of space for the Flyers.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:05 PM
  #47
volpster31
Registered User
 
volpster31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: cinnaminson,NJ
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
id dangle him to montreal in a deal to get carey price....hes french canadian and we all know the habs loves their own

volpster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:05 PM
  #48
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
No reason to trade Gagne, unless he brings us a goalie, Otherwise keep him around

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:07 PM
  #49
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Horsham (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
No reason to trade Gagne, unless he brings us a goalie, Otherwise keep him around
You can't let him leave with nothing in return.

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:24 PM
  #50
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
I know there's a lot of Gagne fans on here, but it's time to move on and send him packing. It's time to get some prospects and salary cap relief in return and hopefully they'll do the same with Hartnell. Fact is, the Flyers don't need Gagne in order to win anymore and the older he gets, the more he becomes a shell of what he once was. We'll never the 40+ goal scorer again and I don't think we'll even see a 30+ goal season out of him from here on in. On top of it, the injuries just never stop with the guy. He's as frail as a china glass doll. Let him be someone else's injury problem.

Now, if they move Gagne, then they better move Fartnell as well. The guy's play was detrimental to the team all year and if he was having personal issues, then he should have taken time off to get his issues resolved. He didn't and he cost the team with his selfish and undisciplined play. Let Fartnell be someone else's head case problem as well.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.