HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why should we get rid of Gagne?

Old
04-15-2010, 03:33 PM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Yeah, no thanks. We have too many long term deals at it is. Gagne is a good player and it would be nice to re-sign him at a nice rate, but it's insane to lock up an injury prone player long term. He's not the type of player you retain at all costs.
whats the rest of gagnes career look like. probably 1 or 2 more years where he could pot 30 another 4 where hes a defensively responsible 20 goal guy and probably 2-4 more of "well he used to be such a good player".

hes probably going to be looking for a 4 year deal at around 4/4.5 so he can get that 30 goal money for the first two years of the dropoff followed by a two year deal at what hell deserve. then either retirement or a couple 1 year deals to see what hes still got left.

so you offer him the whole package in one shot. an 8 year deal 4 at 4 and 4 at 1. gives us a 2.5 million dollar cap hit for the length of his career and he gets to hang em up in orange and black. if the injuries really become an issue retirement is something hell consider which takes him off the cap completely.

while hes not a gotta keep talent anymore you should make the offer for a guy whos paid his dues with the organization. let him turn it down. even if he takes it overpaying a forth liner 2.5 mil isnt much of an albatross when the guy once scored 40 goals for u and it sends a good message to the rest of the squad

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 10:25 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Yeah, no thanks. We have too many long term deals at it is. Gagne is a good player and it would be nice to re-sign him at a nice rate, but it's insane to lock up an injury prone player long term. He's not the type of player you retain at all costs.
I don't get why so many people put the "injury prone" tag on Gagne. The guy missed a season two years ago because of misdiagnosed concussion but hasn't missed any time do to it since and came back with a 30 goal season. He missed two months this season with a totally unrelated injury (groin/ab surgery). Took awhile to round back into shape but was their best forward after the all-star break.

In 10 seasons he has only played less the like 70 games 3 times.

Shoulder surgery in like 2001.
Concussion 2008.
Groin/Ab 2009.

That is not an injury prone player!

He had a good chance of making the Olympic roster if it wasn't for the surgery. Obviously, the Canadian Olympic braintrust thought he still could play so what makes everyne think he won't get offers from other teams?

Ggane will give them a home town discount if it allows him to keep his roots here where he has started a family and played his entire career. It doesn't mean he will let the Flyers bend him over. He will trade $$ for years. Otherwise, he will probably walk.

You don't think teams like TOR, LA, CAL, DET or OTT will find a way to clear $4MM to sign a guy like Gagne. Terry Murray would carry the guy on his back to LA.
DET would put Gagne-Zetterberg-Datsyuk on a line and they probably wouldn't allow a goal all season -exaggerating ofcourse.

LET'S BE REALISTIC!

I doubt 30 y/o, 30 goals scorers that can play smothering d will have a problem finding a home or $4MM offers.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 10:38 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I don't get why so many people put the "injury prone" tag on Gagne. The guy missed a season two years ago because of misdiagnosed concussion but hasn't missed any time do to it since and came back with a 30 goal season. He missed two months this season with a totally unrelated injury (groin/ab surgery). Took awhile to round back into shape but was their best forward after the all-star break.

In 10 seasons he has only played less the like 70 games 3 times.

Shoulder surgery in like 2001.
Concussion 2008.
Groin/Ab 2009.

That is not an injury prone player!

He had a good chance of making the Olympic roster if it wasn't for the surgery. Obviously, the Canadian Olympic braintrust thought he still could play so what makes everyne think he won't get offers from other teams?

Ggane will give them a home town discount if it allows him to keep his roots here where he has started a family and played his entire career. It doesn't mean he will let the Flyers bend him over. He will trade $$ for years. Otherwise, he will probably walk.

You don't think teams like TOR, LA, CAL, DET or OTT will find a way to clear $4MM to sign a guy like Gagne. Terry Murray would carry the guy on his back to LA.
DET would put Gagne-Zetterberg-Datsyuk on a line and they probably wouldn't allow a goal all season -exaggerating ofcourse.

LET'S BE REALISTIC!

I doubt 30 y/o, 30 goals scorers that can play smothering d will have a problem finding a home or $4MM offers.
Great, if that many teams would be interested he would get a good return in a trade. That being said there is little doubt in my mind shooter will sign him to silly long term deal.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 10:53 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Gagne has almost always been a stationary sniper. He finds an open spot in the offensive zone, stays there, and then rips lasers past people. Rarely, he'll control the puck and walk in on his own, but even in his younger days he was never the guy that tried to walk around everyone or dangle into the slot.

Lately he's looked every bit like the Gagne of old, to me. The guy still has the same good speed and skating he always did - that's why he's never out of position. He was never insanely fast, he was always just a great skater.
Yes, that's true, but he's not getting to that open spot anymore. His play without the puck was once much more mobile, he never fought for position really. I don't think that age has gotten to him yet to the point where his skating itself has deteriorated, but the injuries he's suffered make it tougher to start his strides and thus he'll wait for other guys to create space for him rather than finding it on his own.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 12:46 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
wouldnt mind bringing Gagne back after next season. Wouldnt be a fan of a long term deal, however if he is given a 5-6 year deal and he retires its not a cap hit.
But im sure we have to keep Hartnell around and lose Gagne after next season.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 02:31 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Yes, that's true, but he's not getting to that open spot anymore. His play without the puck was once much more mobile, he never fought for position really. I don't think that age has gotten to him yet to the point where his skating itself has deteriorated, but the injuries he's suffered make it tougher to start his strides and thus he'll wait for other guys to create space for him rather than finding it on his own.
You mean the one hip/groin injury he sustained at the beginning of the year that slowed him down while he played himself into shape? After the olympic break, he started making and finding his own space, and the amount of points he netted in that time show it.

He looks fine to me, and with a full offseason to train and rest and come into camp in shape rather than getting worked in Team Canada's tryout camp, I'm sure he'll be back to his old self for next season. I mean, for now it's all hypothetical conjecture....but I maintain that it's stupid to trade him this year. At least see what he has in camp....if he has a great offensive year and won't talk extension, trade him at the deadline if you must....if he starts slow or struggles, unload him for whatever you can get. But I think he has the skills - and history of service to this franchise - that merit giving him every chance to prove he can stay healthy and contribute here for the remainder of his career.

His 'injury history' really is over exaggerated, btw, as has been pointed out earlier. He's really only had 3 rough years (out of 10 seasons), and maintained a very high level of play in the seasons he actually got to play all of...I guess people just need someone to pawn off as being old hat, though.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 07:03 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
You mean the one hip/groin injury he sustained at the beginning of the year that slowed him down while he played himself into shape? After the olympic break, he started making and finding his own space, and the amount of points he netted in that time show it.

He looks fine to me, and with a full offseason to train and rest and come into camp in shape rather than getting worked in Team Canada's tryout camp, I'm sure he'll be back to his old self for next season. I mean, for now it's all hypothetical conjecture....but I maintain that it's stupid to trade him this year. At least see what he has in camp....if he has a great offensive year and won't talk extension, trade him at the deadline if you must....if he starts slow or struggles, unload him for whatever you can get. But I think he has the skills - and history of service to this franchise - that merit giving him every chance to prove he can stay healthy and contribute here for the remainder of his career.

His 'injury history' really is over exaggerated, btw, as has been pointed out earlier. He's really only had 3 rough years (out of 10 seasons), and maintained a very high level of play in the seasons he actually got to play all of...I guess people just need someone to pawn off as being old hat, though.
I'm not concerned about injury history, it's just the unfortunate effects that having that many injuries in a row can create. I definitely agree that he's improved since the Olympic break in that area, and I'm not in favor of getting rid of him (please, there are several other *ahem* players on this team I'd love to get rid of before him ), I'm just saying that if he's looking for a contract $4.3M to $4.5M for longer than two years, he might not be worth that. I'd do 3 years for $12 million easy.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Mike2000z28

I would get rid of him/briere. Gagne looks pathetic on breakaways anymore and he can't snipe and that his job. Our guys need more practice shooting the puck on net instead of missing all the time. Carter has the same problem. Sometimes they show brilliance, but not enough especially gagne with injuries, etc.

Peter Forsberg must have been smoking the good stuff!!!

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 02:55 PM
maudlin

The point of the 8 year, or longer, contract with Gagne would be the the 2.5M cap hit and a gentlemen's agreement that he retires in 4 years or whenever his play starts to noticeably decline. We front load the contract to actually pay him 4M a year for the first few years (more than he'd get otherwise) and in a few years he retires and doesn't hurt the cap and he gets paid well for his last handful of seasons. It's a win-win situation.

maudlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2010, 05:00 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudlin View Post
The point of the 8 year, or longer, contract with Gagne would be the the 2.5M cap hit and a gentlemen's agreement that he retires in 4 years or whenever his play starts to noticeably decline. We front load the contract to actually pay him 4M a year for the first few years (more than he'd get otherwise) and in a few years he retires and doesn't hurt the cap and he gets paid well for his last handful of seasons. It's a win-win situation.
Gagne's not retiring at age 35 unless he gets into more concussion issues. I'd have no problem with him sticking around a few years beyond that, though. He seems like the heady player that can age pretty gracefully to me.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote