HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockeyshot online stickhandling program

Old
04-11-2010, 01:50 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Hockeyshot online stickhandling program

http://www.hockeyshot.com/ProductDet...NE-01&CartID=1

Has anyone seen or tried this? Think it's any good? Looks like it's all dryland training. I have the sean skinner stickhandling beyond belief series, but my issue with that is that it's mostly all on ice training. This is all off ice, so it seems like it could be really good.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:05 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
http://www.hockeyshot.com/Online_Sti...-online-01.htm

Has anyone seen or tried this? Think it's any good? Looks like it's all dryland training. I have the sean skinner stickhandling beyond belief series, but my issue with that is that it's mostly all on ice training. This is all off ice, so it seems like it could be really good.
That is Sean skinner, it is his new initiative. He used to sell the VHS, then DVD, now he has developed a program that you can complete online. I think Hockey shot just re-sells it

I checked and they are the same price on both sites. The full program is $179, but I have a coupon you can use on Hockeyshot to get $10 off

Here's the link to the Sean Skinner site

If you are buying it from Hockey shot you can use this coupon HOWHCKY001 and save $10, but only if you spend $100 or more.The full program is $179, half program is $79 but you would likely want a chunk of fake ice / shooting pad, and a few stickhandling balls so then you can pick them all up in one spot!

I got a chance to see some of the videos that he has and they are really good. He TEACHES things that every player should know, so not only does he deliver awesome drills you can do, but you also aquire knowledge that will help you for the rest of your life. If you are a younger player it is worth it.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Kyle2123

My son is 10 and has only been playing hockey for the last 6 months or so. He started the online stick handling program about 3 weeks ago and I'm already seeing huge improvements. I think it will work, but only if you put the time in. What happens is every week a new set of videos are unlocked, and those videos show you how to do the drills for the week. They do a pretty good job of explaining the proper form and how to do each drill correctly. Then they provide a checklist that you print off. Each day you do the practice drills and then you check them off on the sheet. At the end of the week you are supposed to do a timed test, where someone times you for 20 seconds while you do a few different moves (dribbling the puck, fakes, etc). The test drills are the same each week, and the idea is that you can keep track of your progress from one week to the next.

Kyle2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:10 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2123 View Post
My son is 10 and has only been playing hockey for the last 6 months or so. He started the online stick handling program about 3 weeks ago and I'm already seeing huge improvements. I think it will work, but only if you put the time in. What happens is every week a new set of videos are unlocked, and those videos show you how to do the drills for the week. They do a pretty good job of explaining the proper form and how to do each drill correctly. Then they provide a checklist that you print off. Each day you do the practice drills and then you check them off on the sheet. At the end of the week you are supposed to do a timed test, where someone times you for 20 seconds while you do a few different moves (dribbling the puck, fakes, etc). The test drills are the same each week, and the idea is that you can keep track of your progress from one week to the next.
What do you need to take part in the program? Will a stick and normal hockey puck work? Do you have a breakdown of what is taught for each week?

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Kyle2123

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
What do you need to take part in the program? Will a stick and normal hockey puck work? Do you have a breakdown of what is taught for each week?

All you need is a stick, a wooden stickhandling ball, and some extra pucks. You don't dribble the pucks, they are just used as obstacles in some of the drills. You also need a wide, smooth floor that you'll be dividing up with tape into 8 zones. He really stresses control while doing the drills, making sure when you do fakes the ball starts/stops on the lines that divide up the zones, etc.

He's only 3 weeks in to the program so I can't say for sure how all 10 weeks go, but right now the drills are broken down into these categories: Dribbling, Faking, Toe Control, Reach, Cupping, Moves, and Puck Tricks. I think the categories stay the same from one week to the next, but the drills in each category get more advanced as the weeks go along. The videos do a really good job of explaining all of the basics... he doesn't assume anything about your skill level. He's got videos that talk about things like how to correctly hold the stick, how to roll your wrists, etc. My son likes how he can go back to the site whenever he wants and re-watch the video to get a quick reminder on how to do each drill. Really you're not getting much different than what you can find online from blogs/youtube/etc, but what you are getting is everything in one place, very organized, explaining all of the basics taking you from the very beginning up to some fairly advanced stuff. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to learn, but only if you're going to commit to doing the drills. You'll need to put in about 10 minutes a day, every day.

Kyle2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

10 minutes a day isn't all that bad. Adds up to a little more than an hour a week.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2123 View Post
My son likes how he can go back to the site whenever he wants and re-watch the video to get a quick reminder on how to do each drill.
I assume this is the case once you finish the course, you can go back at any time and re-watch/go through the whole thing again.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote