HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blow it up

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-02-2010, 09:42 PM
  #1
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Blow it up

Start with Holmgren. Make everyone on this team available; although Carter, JVR and Pronger would take an incredible offer to get.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 09:56 PM
  #2
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,526
vCash: 500
Richards, Carter, JvR and Giroux I'd keep

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:05 PM
  #3
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Richards, Carter, JvR and Giroux I'd keep
And there is no chance they move Pronger and most likely Timonen (whom I would attempt to).

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
  #4
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,735
vCash: 500
So, basically fancy-speak for rebuild?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
  #5
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Richards, Carter, JvR and Giroux I'd keep
I think one of Richards/Giroux needs to be moved, they are the only real significant chips that we have, that would bring back a significant return.

Richards, Carter and Giroux are all significantly better when the play center. Carter is irreplacable at this point. We have nobody with his physical gifts and goal scoring ability. He's our only current gamebreaker. JVR is our only winger that has the ability to someday dominate games and become a true gamebreaker.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
  #6
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I think one of Richards/Giroux needs to be moved, they are the only real significant chips that we have, that would bring back a significant return.

Richards, Carter and Giroux are all significantly better when the play center. Carter is irreplacable at this point. We have nobody with his physical gifts and goal scoring ability. He's our only current gamebreaker. JVR is our only winger that has the ability to someday dominate games and become a true gamebreaker.
JVR-Richards-Giroux looked insane today.

Put Carter and anyone on the second line and your gold.

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Gagne-Carter-Briere
Leino-FA-Powe
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

trade Hartnell

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:25 PM
  #7
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Overreaction time.

Move Roo for a goalie.

While we've been inconsistent at times, they've been ridiculously unlucky this year, I haven't ever seen a season like this, it's unbelievable, this could easily be a 95 point team if a few bounces had gone differently.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:27 PM
  #8
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
JVR-Richards-Giroux looked insane today.

Put Carter and anyone on the second line and your gold.

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Gagne-Carter-Briere
Leino-FA-Powe
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

trade Hartnell
That's not a good enough team. Powe is a 4th liner. Hartnell actually is one of the last that should be traded, because his value is likely at an all-time low. The penalties need to be trimmed, but he'll be a 25 goal scorer next year, and we already have too few players that get to the front of the net.

I'd move him for the right price, but we aren't likely getting that after this season.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:29 PM
  #9
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
If we could move Briere, I would start to kind of sort of a little bit.....like Homer again

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:57 PM
  #10
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
If we could move Briere, I would start to kind of sort of a little bit.....like Homer again
Yeah, I think this is the most pressing move. It would open up the space to sign/acquire a goalie.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
  #11
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,450
vCash: 500
I'll disagree, but this team needs to find a way to get rid of Briere, get a real 3rd line center, and get a real goaltender. They aren't playing that well but I don't think they are far enough way to blow it all up, either.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:20 PM
  #12
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,563
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
That's not a good enough team. Powe is a 4th liner. Hartnell actually is one of the last that should be traded, because his value is likely at an all-time low. The penalties need to be trimmed, but he'll be a 25 goal scorer next year, and we already have too few players that get to the front of the net.

I'd move him for the right price, but we aren't likely getting that after this season.
I think cutting down on penalties, frankly is too much to ask of him. Just to be rid of him in an actual hockey trade (not something stupid like trading a 2nd just for someone to take him), would be worth it even if we picked up someone else's problem. I don't think he's a fit with Laviolette. See if Rutherford will take Hartnell for Samsonov, or maybe even Nashville takes him back.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:24 PM
  #13
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I think cutting down on penalties, frankly is too much to ask of him. Just to be rid of him in an actual hockey trade (not something stupid like trading a 2nd just for someone to take him), would be worth it even if we picked up someone else's problem. I don't think he's a fit with Laviolette. See if Rutherford will take Hartnell for Samsonov, or maybe even Nashville takes him back.
I disagree about him being a fit in Laviolette's system. The difference is that when he gets his scoring chances (he is getting them) he's just not finishing like he has in previous years.

I would move him for the right price, but Samsonov certainly isn't that player. That just makes us even smaller up front, and one less guy willing to get to the front of the net.

We need to get bigger up front, not smaller.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:25 PM
  #14
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
To me, the time to blow it up already happened - that was 06-07. Because 'we don't believe in rebuilding' was the motto, the Flyers never really went all the way. Sure we got the #2 pick, sure we traded some people away and got younger, but that summer, we threw a ****load of money around at Briere, Hartnell, and Timonen. We could be in the same position as Chicago, Washington, and Pittsburgh. The latter two got very lucky with multiple high picks (Pens especially), but all three built within themselves and then used FAs to fill in (Campbell, Nylander, and Khabibulin were really the only three overpaid people on those teams). We threw too much at FAs and now we're paying for it.

I think we're not far from being where we need to be, but we gotta get there soon or we're wasting our best players' best years. Getting rid of Briere (and Hartnell) could be a start. That's a significant amount of money, though I know we'd have to take some back. It's just not working.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:29 PM
  #15
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,563
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I disagree about him being a fit in Laviolette's system. The difference is that when he gets his scoring chances (he is getting them) he's just not finishing like he has in previous years.

I would move him for the right price, but Samsonov certainly isn't that player. That just makes us even smaller up front, and one less guy willing to get to the front of the net.

We need to get bigger up front, not smaller.
Well, in a blow-up situation we could try and find someone else.

I mention Samsonov because he excelled under Laviolette and only has one more year left on his contract.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:30 PM
  #16
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,830
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Only people that are untouchable in my mind are Richards, Pronger, and Carter.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
  #17
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I think we're not far from being where we need to be, but we gotta get there soon or we're wasting our best players' best years. Getting rid of Briere (and Hartnell) could be a start. That's a significant amount of money, though I know we'd have to take some back. It's just not working.
We're not close.

To be a real legit Stanley Cup threat we need:

#1 goalie
1st line winger
High quality 3rd line center

We have very little cap space.

Other than Giroux we have no real trading pieces, that wouldn't open up another significant hole on the team.

We're 30 point behind the Caps. In all probability we're going to miss the playoffs. We are not close.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:34 PM
  #18
Seguins Dragon*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In Carls Garage
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Step 1- Fire Homer
Step 2- Get a goalie
Step 3- profit

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:36 PM
  #19
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I think one of Richards/Giroux needs to be moved, they are the only real significant chips that we have, that would bring back a significant return.

Richards, Carter and Giroux are all significantly better when the play center. Carter is irreplacable at this point. We have nobody with his physical gifts and goal scoring ability. He's our only current gamebreaker. JVR is our only winger that has the ability to someday dominate games and become a true gamebreaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Overreaction time.

Move Roo for a goalie.

While we've been inconsistent at times, they've been ridiculously unlucky this year, I haven't ever seen a season like this, it's unbelievable, this could easily be a 95 point team if a few bounces had gone differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I'll disagree, but this team needs to find a way to get rid of Briere, get a real 3rd line center, and get a real goaltender. They aren't playing that well but I don't think they are far enough way to blow it all up, either.
I agree with all three of these completely, but we shouldn't trade Giroux or blow up the team until it's absolutely necessary, meaning a last-resort. We're not at that point yet.

What I would rather do is find a way to get rid of Briere and use that cap hit to find a legit goalie and a legit third line center (both of which are easily affordable with Briere's cap hit off the books).

Now, in normal circumstances, I'd be willing to give Hartnell another year to see if he works out. You don't just trade players just because they have down years (which is what this is).

However, this isn't normal circumstances because we need to unload some contracts and fill a few spots. Hartnell and Carle are easily the most expendable players that teams could practically trade for. I don't see anyone trading for Briere. So, for me, the number one priority this off-season is trading Carle and then trying to sign a third line center and number one goalie. After that you explore the market and examine the team while being aware of the circumstances. Depending on what return you can get for Hartnell and the circumstances surrounding both the market and the team, you think about trading Hartnell. In my eyes, that's really the best option.

Ideally we get rid of Briere somehow though. Ideally.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:36 PM
  #20
JCameron418
Registered User
 
JCameron418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,448
vCash: 500
stop letting goalies get injured and the cup is ours

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:37 PM
  #21
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
We're not close.

To be a real legit Stanley Cup threat we need:

#1 goalie
1st line winger
High quality 3rd line center

We have very little cap space.

Other than Giroux we have no real trading pieces, that wouldn't open up another significant hole on the team.

We're 30 point behind the Caps. In all probability we're going to miss the playoffs. We are not close.
Trade Briere
Trade Hartnell
Sign 3rd line center
Acquire goalie
Hope 1st line winger plays for league minimum

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:37 PM
  #22
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I've said this before, and heres my plan:

1. Keep JVR, Giroux, Gagne, Pronger, Betts, Laperriere and Carcillo.
2. Trade for Knuble.
3. Trade everyone else for picks.
4. Sign Peter Forsberg.

Even if we don't win I'll love the team.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:39 PM
  #23
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I've said this before, and heres my plan:

1. Keep JVR, Giroux, Gagne, Pronger, Betts, Laperriere and Carcillo.
2. Trade for Knuble.
3. Trade everyone else for picks.
4. Sign Peter Forsberg.

Even if we don't win I'll love the team.
Downie??



mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:41 PM
  #24
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
We're not close.

To be a real legit Stanley Cup threat we need:

#1 goalie
1st line winger
High quality 3rd line center

We have very little cap space.

Other than Giroux we have no real trading pieces, that wouldn't open up another significant hole on the team.

We're 30 point behind the Caps. In all probability we're going to miss the playoffs. We are not close.
Honestly, I don't agree with your post at all, but I really don't feel like arguing over it.

But by saying we need a first line winger, do you mean left or right winger? On LW we have Gagne, Leino, and JVR. On the RW we have Giroux and Hartnell. Our wingers could be better, granted, but it's not bad. It just looks bad because two of our five wingers are young and developing. That and Hartnell is having a down year while Giroux, while still developing, is also getting accustomed to a RW spot due to us not having a third line center.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:42 PM
  #25
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
We're not close.

To be a real legit Stanley Cup threat we need:

#1 goalie
1st line winger
High quality 3rd line center

We have very little cap space.

Other than Giroux we have no real trading pieces, that wouldn't open up another significant hole on the team.

We're 30 point behind the Caps. In all probability we're going to miss the playoffs. We are not close.
I think we're caught in that in-between, but because of the NHL's parity, that's not far away from being a real contender. You make 3 good points regarding our needs. Looking back on this season, how much would a true #1 goalie help us? A lot. Honestly, with the cluster**** that our goalie situation is, it's no wonder our year has gone to ****. Is that the only problem? Absolutely not. But I think that's why you use a guy like Giroux to get one. It's not a guarantee, but it's a step in the right direction.

As to your 3rd line center. Also something we need pretty badly, but not impossible to obtain. There are a few guys on the FA market this summer who would work out, plus it's possible that if you trade a guy like Briere or Hartnell, you could get one in return. That leaves us with a 1st line wing. If we made a few trades, I'd sacrifice 1 bonafide top-line scorer for scoring depth. I like JVR and Richards together, and from what we've seen, JVR's going to get better. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but we've also got a guy who can score 40+ in Jeff Carter, so I'm not incredibly worried.

I'm extremely mad about how this season's gone down. To me, it's worse than 06-07, and I'm not very confident in our front office as of now. One way or another, though, there are gonna be changes this summer. Interested to see what goes down.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.