HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Sucker Punches: Domi vs Samuelsson, or McCarty vs Lemieux

View Poll Results: Which Sucker Punch Did You Enjoy Seeing The Most?
Domi vs Samuelsson 41 56.94%
McCarty vs Lemieux 31 43.06%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-29-2010, 07:07 PM
moog35

vCash: 500
Sucker Punches: Domi vs Samuelsson, or McCarty vs Lemieux

Sucker punches are cheap and cowardly, but there have been 2 which I can remember where I didn't feel bad for the player getting suckered, Domi vs Samuelsson or McCarty vs Lemieux. Which sucker punch did you enjoy seeing more?

Domi vs Samuelsson

Toronto Feed

Rangers Feed (Bad Quality) + Don Cherry

McCarty vs Lemieux

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:26 PM
NJDEVILS17*

Ulf Samuelsson. I hated that ****.

NJDEVILS17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Domi's sucker punch brought the lulz and the praise. But after what Lemieux did to Draper, McCarty's attack was pretty damn good too.

Hard to say, can't go wrong with either one.

I hated Ulf more though, guy was a d0uche

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Couldn't have happened to two nicer guys, haha.

As a punch itself, Domi's was a thing of beauty. Just the slow-mo, he puts his whole body into it, and Samuelsson was absolutely rocked. Sucker punch or not, to knock a guy out like he did, yikes. Domi could punch.

I wish McCarty got a clean shot in on Lemieux like that, but he was already in full turtle mode as usual. He pumped him with one good one though. Too bad he couldn't have pinned him up against the boards and fed him a few more.

Different situations though. Lemieux had it coming for his hit on Draper, and everyone knew it. Domi on Samuelsson was more of a lifetime achievement award for Ulf.

Last edited by arrbez: 03-29-2010 at 07:58 PM.
arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:25 AM
CanadiensFan1321

McCarty vs Lemieux

CanadiensFan1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 07:22 AM
jkrx

Domis punch on Samuelsson was probably the most cowardly cheapshot of all times. No matterwhat Ulfie had done before that matters. People who likes this because Ulf was a "dirty" player are hypocrites.

Claude vs. McCarty is another thing though as Claude shoulve expected it. He knew Darren were on the ice and he knew the wings wanted to get him. I enjoyed it but I wouldve enjoyed it more if McCarty got him a bit more fair.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
BruinsNeedaRussian

The one on Cooke I mean Samuelsson.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Domis punch on Samuelsson was probably the most cowardly cheapshot of all times. No matterwhat Ulfie had done before that matters. People who likes this because Ulf was a "dirty" player are hypocrites.
I'd imagine if you're going to constantly chirp a guy like Domi, you're going to get retaliation. It's not like Ulfie would actually drop the gloves anyway. After the amount of players went out with injuries as a result of Samuelsson cheapshots, no wonder why everyone applauded Domi for this.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 10:45 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Oh man, this is a tough one. I just can't decide... both of them were equally well deserved.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:07 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Couldn't have happened to two nicer guys, haha.

As a punch itself, Domi's was a thing of beauty. Just the slow-mo, he puts his whole body into it, and Samuelsson was absolutely rocked. Sucker punch or not, to knock a guy out like he did, yikes. Domi could punch.

I wish McCarty got a clean shot in on Lemieux like that, but he was already in full turtle mode as usual. He pumped him with one good one though. Too bad he couldn't have pinned him up against the boards and fed him a few more.

Different situations though. Lemieux had it coming for his hit on Draper, and everyone knew it. Domi on Samuelsson was more of a lifetime achievement award for Ulf.
You have to be kidding me. That was a dirty shot, and years later McCarty has said that it was probably the hardest punch he threw in his career. I don't want to defend Claude, because that hit was a cheap shot (however Claude did get hit by one nearly identical before too) but, that punch hit him in the side of the head. Both Claude and Darren said on OTR that the punch is the reason Claude went down, because of how the punch landed, and where. Not because Claude turtled.

I don't care who the players are, if you (not directed at you, but more so everyone) actually like seeing that stuff happen to anyone. There are other ways to get revenge in hockey, other then cheap shoting someone. The McCarty and Domi sucker punches, are just as bad whether they be on Claude Lemieux or any other player.

McCarty was a good player, who any team would love to have because of how he stuck up for everyone, but that shot on Lemieux is one that he could have dealt with better. With a hit, or actually hit a guy that can see you.

cody275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:17 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Not really.

If Domi did something dirty he'd own up to it and gladly take his lumps. Most people wouldn't have the cajones to do anything about it though, which is kind of funny for a 5'10" guy (having met him in person I actually think his height is exagerrated).

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:19 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody275 View Post
You have to be kidding me. That was a dirty shot, and years later McCarty has said that it was probably the hardest punch he threw in his career. I don't want to defend Claude, because that hit was a cheap shot (however Claude did get hit by one nearly identical before too) but, that punch hit him in the side of the head. Both Claude and Darren said on OTR that the punch is the reason Claude went down, because of how the punch landed, and where. Not because Claude turtled.

I don't care who the players are, if you (not directed at you, but more so everyone) actually like seeing that stuff happen to anyone. There are other ways to get revenge in hockey, other then cheap shoting someone. The McCarty and Domi sucker punches, are just as bad whether they be on Claude Lemieux or any other player.

McCarty was a good player, who any team would love to have because of how he stuck up for everyone, but that shot on Lemieux is one that he could have dealt with better. With a hit, or actually hit a guy that can see you.
Kind of the problem, no? Neither of these two clowns would stand face to face and answer for their actions.

Old
03-31-2010, 12:31 PM
pld459666

The Domi sucker-punch was nothing special. It's easy to knock someone out when they 1 don't know you are there and 2 don't see the punch coming. Ask any Boxer, the punch that lays a guy out is the one that's not seen.

I like Domi, before and after the punch, but it was nothing special.

McCarty doing what he did to Pepe was awesome because Pepe knew it was going to happen and didn't/couldn't do anything to stop it. Plus it had a message behind it where as the Domi punch was meaningless.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 12:35 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Kind of the problem, no? Neither of these two clowns would stand face to face and answer for their actions.
While I agree on Ulf, he's not a fighter by any stretch of the imagination.

However, you must not have seen the next time Darren and Pepe played. Pepe still lost the fight but he MORE than held his own and did very well.

Old
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The next season Lemieux fought McCarty, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Lemieux asked Draper if he wanted to settle it, but Draper didn't want to fight him (not that you can blame him, he had the surgery on his face two years earlier and their was a size difference).

To say that they would never stand face to face, well that is kind of a lie, no?

Also, just because someone doesn't want to, why not drop the gloves in front of them instead of sucker punching them from where they can't even see it coming. At least if they see the punch coming, they might be able to block it and once the punches start coming, they will drop the gloves or get dropped fast. Not saying that punching someone that doesn't want to fight is a classy play, but it is far classier then punching someone that can't even see the punch coming to protect themselves.

cody275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Samuelsson getting ko'd isnt going to get any sympathy from anyone. Samuelsson was one of the biggest pieces of **** to put the skates on. Samuelsson had no honor and didnt respect any of his opponents. **** him too bad it didnt happen sooner. He got what he deserved. Call me a hypocrite. I really dont give a ****. I dont like Domi either.
I cant respect anyone who never appologized for trying to drive someones head thru the boards. Claude the Fraud was a POS anyway

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
McCart vs Lemieux is the mother of all the sucker punches because of what meant to one of the greatest rivalries in hockey. And Lemieux fully deserved it after destroying Draper's face...

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 01:34 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
While I agree on Ulf, he's not a fighter by any stretch of the imagination.

However, you must not have seen the next time Darren and Pepe played. Pepe still lost the fight but he MORE than held his own and did very well.
I don't really care whether he's a fighter. If you are going to play dirty, you should be aware that you will be expected to answer the bell. If you don't like that, don't play dirty.

Moore wasn't a fighter either yet after the Naslund hit (which in my opinion was far less dirty than a lot of things I've seen Samuelsson and Lemieux do), he willingly answered the bell to the first comer. He didn't answer the second comer but he shouldn't have had to, he did the honourable thing already.

Old
03-31-2010, 01:37 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody275 View Post
The next season Lemieux fought McCarty, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Lemieux asked Draper if he wanted to settle it, but Draper didn't want to fight him (not that you can blame him, he had the surgery on his face two years earlier and their was a size difference).

To say that they would never stand face to face, well that is kind of a lie, no?
Also, just because someone doesn't want to, why not drop the gloves in front of them instead of sucker punching them from where they can't even see it coming. At least if they see the punch coming, they might be able to block it and once the punches start coming, they will drop the gloves or get dropped fast. Not saying that punching someone that doesn't want to fight is a classy play, but it is far classier then punching someone that can't even see the punch coming to protect themselves.
Hardly. Perhaps an exagerration. I've seen both players tuck and run more than once.

As for "class", one abandons the right to "class" when they continuously play in a "classless" manner.

Old
03-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Word on the street is that Neely paid Domi's fine.

One of my favorite hockey moments ever.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Word on the street is that Neely paid Domi's fine.

One of my favorite hockey moments ever.
Really. Cool.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:29 PM
moog35

I read somewhere that in Domi's last season with the Jets Samuelsson speared Domi in the nuts and then wouldn't answer the bell, and Domi wanted some revenge. The next time they played each other wasn't until the game where the sucker punch took place. I will try to find the article

Edit: I found a review of the spear on Dropyourgloves.com http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...161#Fight63161

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 09:53 PM
pld459666

Quote:
I don't really care whether he's a fighter. If you are going to play dirty, you should be aware that you will be expected to answer the bell. If you don't like that, don't play dirty.

Moore wasn't a fighter either yet after the Naslund hit (which in my opinion was far less dirty than a lot of things I've seen Samuelsson and Lemieux do), he willingly answered the bell to the first comer. He didn't answer the second comer but he shouldn't have had to, he did the honourable thing already.
As stated, I agreed on Ulfie. He's not someone that would stand and answer the bell.

What i was talking about was the McCarty-Lemieux issue.

After McCarty did what he did, the next game they played, Pepe initiated the fight and did very well.

Old
03-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

McCarty vs Lemieux

Mainly because of what happened after it. Love seeing Shanahan tackle Roy. Need a gif file of that

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:18 AM
billybobjoe2112

Quote:

Moore was challenged quite a few times before accepting a fight against Matt Cooke. Matt Cooke is not tough. If he would of fought sooner Berluzzi wouldn't of tried to kill him.

billybobjoe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote