HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pre-Series Thread: #1 Tampa Bay vs. #3 Philadelphia

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Laperriere22*

vCash: 500
Pre-Series Thread: #1 Tampa Bay vs. #3 Philadelphia

Nobody else started one surprisingly; so, I guess I'll do it. I'll take the Bolts in 5. The reasons: Bolts are totally healthy, they are crazy aggressive on the forecheck in this day and age, they have a solid mix of veterans and youth, and they can finish consistently. The Flyers have some rather severe injury problems and that Bolts forecheck is going to run the Flyers in circles. The only real weak area is the Bolts defense and with Khabibulin on top of his game, it's going to be hard for the Flyers to exploit the Bolts aggressive style. Just don't think the Flyers match-up well with the Bolts; best thing for the Flyers is they get three days off before starting up again. And if Kapanen has to play defense against Tampa, may the gods have mercy on Hitchcock's soul.

Old
05-05-2004, 06:32 PM
capn89*

Wow... I'll be the first to argue... You seem to think the Flyers are INCREDIBLY slow. I have no worries about Kaps playing D against Tampa, you seem to think that he's just incredibly inept, but he's played great. And I surely don't think it'll be 5 games (no matter who wins)... I have a feeling the series will go 7... but maybe not, who knows.

I think, as I stated on another thread, this series will be incredibly different than the regular season considering our goalie, Esche, only played one full game against Tampa, while shutting them out for the near half game her played in another (then Little came in and gave up two) and the others featured Hackjob and Booourke.

This should be fun though, no doubt.

Old
05-05-2004, 06:34 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Bolts in 5.

Main Reasons:
Faster
Better Goaltending
More Well rested
Healthier

Old
05-05-2004, 06:39 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Bolts in 5.

Main Reasons:
Faster
Better Goaltending
More Well rested
Healthier
I don't think "more well rested" will be much of a factor.

The Flyers do get 3 days off, now if the series began on Thursday night it could have been a huge factor.

Old
05-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I don't think "more well rested" will be much of a factor.

The Flyers do get 3 days off, now if the series began on Thursday night it could have been a huge factor.
I was alluding to the fact the Flyers have had to play 3 more games in two much more physical series than the Bolts have played, not days off per se. Just overall wear and tear has to be affecting them more than the Bolts.

Old
05-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Bolts in 5.

Main Reasons:
Faster
Better Goaltending
More Well rested
Healthier
Flyers in six

Main Reasons:
Depth
Esche has been incredible
Physical play
Experence

Call me a homer, but I beleive that Tampa may be in for a little wakeup call.

Old
05-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I sure hope Tampa wins it, they're such an exciting team to watch with all that speed and for once, an old school "all out attack" mentality which makes it even more sweet to watch.

At first I thought Philly would pass them rather easily considering the incredible forward depth they have but seeing how Esche has started to cool off (as opposed to Khabibulin), I'm not so sure.

There's alot of talent on both sides, but right now my gut feeling says Tampa could win it. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but they play with such confidence and determination right now, it seems nothing could slow them down.

The fact remains that this is truly the cream of the crop in the East. Both teams need very few scoring chances to capitalize and both teams have an amazingly fast and solid transition game. Should make for some fast paced hockey.

Old
05-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
Flyers in six

Main Reasons:
Depth
Physical play
Experence

IMO Depth is equal and Khabibulan is better than Esche.

Old
05-05-2004, 07:12 PM
deviance

Flyers in 5

Main Reasons:
Bigger
More Talented
More Experienced
Hve da momentum
It's their year

Old
05-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
IMO Depth is equal and Khabibulan is better than Esche.
You can go the Khabibulan is better than Esche route, but Esche has been stellar through two series. You can have this point.

Now depth on the other hand, Philly can roll three scoring lines, while Tampa only has two.

Old
05-05-2004, 07:25 PM
capn89*

Quote:
You can go the Khabibulan is better than Esche route, but Esche has been stellar through two series. You can have this point.

Now depth on the other hand, Philly can roll three scoring lines, while Tampa only has two.
And who has Khabibulan faced? The Islanders and Canadiens?... Time to face the big boys now. If he beats the Flyers, I'll join the Tampa Bandwagon and cheer them for the cup (unless Calgary is there)... until then, the Islanders and Canadiens don't impress me much.

Old
05-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Hellsempire

Quote:
Bolts in 5.

Main Reasons:
Faster
Better Goaltending
More Well rested
Healthier

DING DING DING! We have a winner! I agree 100% with you here Joe.

Lightning in 5!

Khabibulin will take the Lightning to the SCF's. Lighting have been sitting and just waiting for this. Tampa Bay is the team to beat... Being healthier and well rested could make this a short series...

Old
05-05-2004, 08:07 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
DING DING DING! We have a winner! I agree 100% with you here Joe.

Lightning in 5!

Khabibulin will take the Lightning to the SCF's. Lighting have been sitting and just waiting for this. Tampa Bay is the team to beat... Being healthier and well rested could make this a short series...
How's Marty's putting game been?

Old
05-05-2004, 08:07 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Bolts are totally healthy ...
Not totally. Two of our top four defensemen are injured, with Boyle nursing a sprained thumb and Cullimore still out with a broken wrist. That's huge because Boyle is key to both the Lightning transition game and the PP (both of which should play a huge role in this series). Also Cory Stillman is still recovering from a hip sprain that has affected his skating noticably.

Old
05-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
Not totally. Two of our top four defensemen are injured, with Boyle nursing a sprained thumb and Cullimore still out with a broken wrist.
I didn't realize that's what was wrong with Boyle, I'd just heard his thumb was wrapped. Outside of falling on his butt for no good reason in that last game, he's played fine even with the injury. It doesn't sound like there's any hope of getting Cully back, unfortunately, and he's got to be totally frustrated.

Don't discount Khabibulin's performance thus far in the playoffs unless you've actually seen him play. He was totally out of his head against the Isles, robbed them blind several times, and the Isles outshot Tampa in all but one game.

Old
05-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Liquidrage*

I think Flyers sweep this one.

Old
05-05-2004, 08:43 PM
GlueleG

Im pickin' Philly in 6... I think that physically that Flyers are going to punish the Bolts. If the Flyers dont suffer any more serious injuries and Esche can continue his solid play, I dont see any reason why they cant win this series.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Sum1winachampionship

All depends on which Flyers team shows up. I'll go one better, I think it all depends which Primeau shows up. The Primeau the last 2 games, Flyers in 6. He sets the tone for this team. If he comes out and takes the body, gets the team fired up, the Flyers could knock the wind right out of Tampa.

On the flip side, if Philly sits back or tries to play the puck, Tampa in 5.

My call, Philly in 6.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:23 PM
VinnyVinnyVici

Send a message via ICQ to VinnyVinnyVici
My gut says Bolts in 6, but it'll probably be Bolts in 7.

Philly can talk about "punishing" and "hitting" all they want, but in the end, the adage is true.... You can't hit what you can't catch.

-----
GO BOLTS!!
Bulin Wall

Old
05-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulin Wall
Philly can talk about "punishing" and "hitting" all they want, but in the end, the adage is true.... You can't hit what you can't catch.
It's partially true.

One game, alright, but it's a seven game series. The playoffs have always been a war of attrition. This is not the slow Philadelphia team of three of four years ago. The difference now is that the Flyers have an exelent balance of finesse players, as well as those big brutes who can wear a team down over a long series.

This series will go the distance, not five games.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Bulrog

I'll say Buccaneers 27, Eagles 10.....oh, right.....my bad.

There are so many ways this series could turn out, who the hell knows what'll happen?? I'm way too biased to predict anything objectively, but I do think it will go 7.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:16 PM
cxreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulin Wall
My gut says Bolts in 6, but it'll probably be Bolts in 7.

All this talk about the physical game is missing the mark. It will not be a physical series. The Flyers tend to play whatever style the opposition wants to play, and so far have been getting away with winning at it. If they want to win this series, they might want to think about changing that strategy and taking some initiative, because Tampa is FAR better at pond hockey than the Flyers.

However, Tampa is weak down low in the crease and against the forecheck. They are great at blocking point shots, but the Flyers haven't been shooting from the point since the regular season ended. Their goals come from that tenacious forecheck which neither the Devils or Leafs, both of whom are better prepared to handle that, could stop. Should the Bugs find themselves taking penalties, the Flyers powerplay goes right after that weakness and I think could be very effective in this series.

I see a lot of high scoring games, and I'll take Philly in 7

Old
05-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Hold the Pickles

wow, I can't wait for this series to start. I havn't been able to see much of Tampa and when I'd tune in the game was already over + I think this is their 1st true test.

PHI, what can I say, you finally have your team rolling with a good net minder. You've had one or the other for so many years and now you face the Bolts--I Just don't have any idea whats gonna happen with this one.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:38 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

I predicted the Flyers to win in five games in both series so far--had the outcomes of the first seven games right, before game three came around vs. toronto, i made the discovery that i was never wrong in any way when it comes to hockey.

Since that revelation I'm 0-4. Thought the Flyers would win once out of games 3-4, picked them to win in both gameday threads, they lost. Thought they were heading downhill, picked them to lose game five, primeau scores a hat trick. Thought toronto would force a game seven--almost doesn't count. And as a result, I will not be making a series prediction.

A few reasons why the Lightning can win this series/Flyers lose
-Flyers' inability to get the puck out of zone/get space in front of Esche clear
...at least half of the goals Esche let in vs. Toronto were because he was screened or someone was allowed to set up in front and deflect the puck.
-Tampa Bay's got incredible offensive talent, and our defense could be in trouble with their forecheck.
-Fatigue; Easy road for TB thus far, Philly has had to exert effort to win games, though three days rest helps us a lot, and i think its' enough to get over the Toronto series
-We sucked in the games we played you, and we know it.

why the Flyers can win/Lightning can lose
-Experience: The Flyers have veterans who are driven to win a cup in what could be their last chance (Primeau, Roenick, Amonte, Zhamnov, etc.) and a coach who's won it all before. The Lightning have never been quite this far except for a few players.
-Power play: The kind of power play we have, we are going to be able to take control down low and score a bunch, assuming penalties are called in this series
-Competition: I saw wake-up call mentioned on here...Philly has taken out two very formidable cup contenders, they have played intense hockey in the playoffs...the bolts could be bordering on overconfidence due to easier opponents, interesting.

I think one goalie is going to get hot and will take his team to the finals, honestly that is what it will come down to.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:07 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Flyers in six

Main Reasons:
Depth
Physical play
Experence

Well I'm not a homer and I think that Tampa IS in for a little wakeup call. What competition have they had so far??, uh none. hmm, playing Montreal and NYI....or Toronto and NJ? Philly has the size advantage and as we've seen in the playoffs so far and as history tells us, size more often wins games than does skill.

Closed Thread