HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pre-Series Thread: #1 Tampa Bay vs. #3 Philadelphia

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2004, 12:25 AM
capn89*

vCash: 500
Donovan McNabb needs tickets to every Flyers home game... 1-0 with a 7-2 score with him in attendance And it's Tampa Bay, so maybe he'd add some extra cheer for the orange and black.

Old
05-06-2004, 12:30 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

The Flyers just beat the Champions and the Leafs , they have much more experience and depth . It's Philadelphia year i think

Old
05-06-2004, 05:12 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviance
Flyers in 5

Main Reasons:
Bigger
More Talented
More Experienced
Hve da momentum
It's their year
The Flyers more talanted ?

Then I can't understand why everyone talk about experience, first everyone talked about how important it is to have a veteran goalie with lot of Stanley Cup experience, where are Brodeur, Belfour, Osgood and Jospeh now ? Playing golf, look at the goalies we have in the semifinals, no one has lot of play-off experience but they are damn good goalies. Same thing with team-experience, if experience is so important wouldn't Detroit have swept the Flames and Avalanche crunched Sharks ? It is important to have experienced players in the team but the team doesn't have to be so experience to be sucsessfull, we have Taylor, Andreychuk and Sydor, that is enough.

Old
05-06-2004, 09:08 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Then I can't understand why everyone talk about experience, first everyone talked about how important it is to have a veteran goalie with lot of Stanley Cup experience
I think this year, every team has showed that this theory doesn't apply anymore. Look at the 4 goalies in the Conference Finals. Nik has the most experience, then Evegeni, then Robert and finally Mikka. I really don't buy into this theory anymore. Based on the whole "we have skill and former (fill in the accolade here)" mantra, that means nothing. It's the team that is willing to go all out. The teams that have won are the teams that have outworked, outhustled and sacrificed alot in order for their team to win. Tampa outworked, outhustled, same with SJ, Calgary beat the Wings by wanting it more. The Flyers won by playing their game. They won with their size and strength. Every team has things they have to tweak for their next matchup but I really don't think many people believe this theory anymore.

Experience does not equal a Cup. If that was true, none of the teams would be in the Conference Finals.

Old
05-06-2004, 09:56 AM
i am dave

I think it really comes down to the first two games. If the Flyers can split in Tampa, this will be a long series. I think, in a long series, Tampa is not built well to sustain and win in 7 games. Tampa is more suited to win a short series. I think, ultimately, the winner of Game 2 wins the series.

Old
05-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Nik worries me but I don't think the Bolts home ice is gonna serve them well in this series. i think they'd be better off opening in Philly. Reason being....They could lose both games because of rust and possibly being overwhelmed Physically. If they opened in Philly they would have the chance to go home. If philly even gets a split in Tampa this series will be short IMO, cause I have a hard time seeing the Bolts beating Philly when they're healthy and have that last line change. If it is a long series I think Philly's depth will show through. If the goaltending stays as hot for both teams we could be waiting a long time to see who comes out. Good luck Tampa and especially Brad Richards...Atlantic Canada loves ya man
Beware slow ice Tampa

Old
05-06-2004, 10:35 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
Well I'm not a homer and I think that Tampa IS in for a little wakeup call. What competition have they had so far??, uh none. hmm, playing Montreal and NYI....or Toronto and NJ? Philly has the size advantage and as we've seen in the playoffs so far and as history tells us, size more often wins games than does skill.
this is the way I am going in predicting this series. the Flyers have faced the stronger, more talented teams and are playing at a very high level. I think it's going to be a tough transition for the Bolts to go from Montreal and Islanders to the Flyers. the Lightning are going up against a team that can roll 4 lines, has a very defense(although banged up) and a hot goalie. this is alot different than playing the Habs or Islanders. to the Flyers, this will just be another tuff series....just like the NJ and Toronto series.

Flyers in 6

Old
05-06-2004, 10:44 AM
wexdog

Tampa Bay

Go Tampa Go !
I see the Lightining winning this series in five or six.
I believe John 'Fonzie' Tortorella to be a better coach then Quinn, with a much better team.

Bolts vs Flames for the Cup.

WEXDOG

Old
05-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Timmy1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Nik worries me but I don't think the Bolts home ice is gonna serve them well in this series. i think they'd be better off opening in Philly. Reason being....They could lose both games because of rust and possibly being overwhelmed Physically. If they opened in Philly they would have the chance to go home. If philly even gets a split in Tampa this series will be short IMO, cause I have a hard time seeing the Bolts beating Philly when they're healthy and have that last line change. If it is a long series I think Philly's depth will show through. If the goaltending stays as hot for both teams we could be waiting a long time to see who comes out. Good luck Tampa and especially Brad Richards...Atlantic Canada loves ya man
Beware slow ice Tampa
I don't think they will lose the first two games because of rust. They might come out flat in the first period of game one, but they should get their legs back fairly quick. They very well could be out physicalled though as you say. Guys like Roenick, Primeau and Handzus could be a problem and if LeClair parks himself out in front of Khabibulin, we don't have defenseman that like to push people out of the way. Other than that, I think the teams are pretty even. It may go down to whoever gets the most lucky bounces. Good luck to the Flyers and lets see some good hockey.

Old
05-06-2004, 11:18 AM
habfan4

This should be an interesting series: If Tampa can utilize it's speed and continue to capitalize on turnovers, it could be death by a thousand cuts for the Flyers.

However, if Philly keeps the puck away from the point in the offensive zone and cycles down low, forcing the Tampa forwards to come back and help their D, the Flyers will have some success. The Flyers like to crash the net which should spell trouble for Tampa's D and Khabibulin (the small measure of offensive success that the Habs had against Tampa came when they went to the net).

It should be a long series - At the end of the day the Flyers have a better balanced offence than either of Montreal or the Isles (to go along with a fairly mobile blueline) so I'm picking them in 7.

Old
05-06-2004, 12:24 PM
VinnyVinnyVici

Send a message via ICQ to VinnyVinnyVici
Quote:
Originally Posted by wexdog
Go Tampa Go !
I see the Lightining winning this series in five or six.
I believe John 'Fonzie' Tortorella to be a better coach then Quinn, with a much better team.

Bolts vs Flames for the Cup.

WEXDOG
I believe that at this point Tortorella IS a better coach than Pat Quinn, but since Quinn (right now) coaches Toronto, it's a moot point. Ken Hitchcock is the coach of the Flyers, and Tortorella is NOT a better coach than Hitch just yet (who's won a Cup and been to two finals) - I'm sorry.

I'd love to see the Bolts win in five or six, but it'll probably go the whole seven games, either way.

Old
05-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Teezax

Primeau will handle Lecavalier, I'm sure. The Flyers will need to cover St Louis and I'm sure we'll use Gagné to do that. Their speed will mean nothing when there is no open ice. Flyers are masters at controlling the neutral zone, thus leaving no room to work with. If the Bolts want to beat us, they will have to start dumping and run the cycle along the boards (something we are a lot better at) I don't see how the Lightning defence can hold up against our big guys cycling down low in their defensive end. Khabi is not a worry for me as we just eliminated the two best goalies in the league. His .99 GAA will be no more. We need to steal a game in Tampa and we'll be fine.

Bolts are 8-1
Flyers are 8-3

Two best records in the playoffs.
Get ready for battle.

Philly wins at home in 6

Old
05-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
IMO Depth is equal and Khabibulan is better than Esche.
I'll give you Habby is better then Esche but the LIghtning do not have the overall depth the flyers do...not even close.

I'll go Philly in 6.

I've enjoyed watching Tampa all year. Playoff hockey is much differnt though, Tampa will not get all the open ice they are used to and the physicall toll will start to asert itself towards the middle of the series.

The main reason I think the flyers will win is Coaching and special teams.

Old
05-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Hoek

The Isles were masters of controlling the neutral zone (had a puck handling tender to take of the dump ins as well) and stole a game in Tampa. Did zip, nada, zilch for them in the end. If you don't think the Bolts are good at cycling you haven't seen the MRS line at work. Size and hitting doesn't intimidate the Lightning as much as you'd expect. They'll just pounce on every little mistake the Flyers make and stuff it in the basket like clockwork, much like the last champion New Jersey Devils who were also plenty undersized and not intimidated one bit (of course that's when they had their own headhunter on the ice).

Old
05-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Gert B Frobe

I think the winner of this series wins it all. San Jose is very good but these two are just the cream of the crop. I'm totally biased as a Flyers fan but either way I think the series will be less than 6 games. One team is going to figure the other out rather quickly. Tampa must win both 1 and 2 at home. If the Flyers take even 1 in Tampa it's a good sign. It will be hard for either team to win on the road fer sure.

Distinct advantage on the 3rd and 4th lines for the Flyers. If the top 2 Philly lines can play even hockey - well..

Tampa D is a little banged up too. Philly will have everybody ready except 37 obviously.

It's going to be good - that's the only thing I'm really sure of.

Old
05-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Thalia

Bolts in 6!

Old
05-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
DING DING DING! We have a winner! I agree 100% with you here Joe.

Lightning in 5!

Khabibulin will take the Lightning to the SCF's. Lighting have been sitting and just waiting for this. Tampa Bay is the team to beat... Being healthier and well rested could make this a short series...
no, no, no... completely wrong.

The Flyers are the team to beat. They've gone through NJ and the Leafs losing only 3 games. They have not lost at home.

again, wrong, totally and utterly wrong.

sour grapes

Old
05-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineers
Tampa D is a little banged up too. Philly will have everybody ready except 37 obviously.
Kapanen is still alive after that hit?

Seriously, what is his status and Malakhovs (who has a concussion last I heard)?

Old
05-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Gags1288

Sami is fine, he's as tough a customer as you'll find, he practiced the next day, he even went out for the celebration and hand shake. As for Vlad, with all the time off he's had, i'd expect him in there, but there has been no official word.

And by hit, you mean elbow, right?

Old
05-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288

And by hit, you mean elbow, right?
Whatever it was sure did a hell of a lot of damage. After that effort to get back though Sami Kapanen's toughness or desire should NEVER be questioned. I'm surprised Kapanen isnt out for at least this series. As for Malakhov if it is a concussion as reported, isnt there a rule he has to sit out at least a week? Not sure but I heard something about that when it was questioned if the flu like symptoms for Esche were to get him out of that week long sit. Concussions can be a tricky buisness with the after effects so we'll see.

Old
05-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02
Whatever it was sure did a hell of a lot of damage. After that effort to get back though Sami Kapanen's toughness or desire should NEVER be questioned. I'm surprised Kapanen isnt out for at least this series. As for Malakhov if it is a concussion as reported, isnt there a rule he has to sit out at least a week? Not sure but I heard something about that when it was questioned if the flu like symptoms for Esche were to get him out of that week long sit. Concussions can be a tricky buisness with the after effects so we'll see.
Sami is real tough, I believe that Stevens hit him with one of his patented checks in the playoffs a few years ago and Sami just bounced off of him. I remember seeing Stevens saying that Sami is the hardest thing he's ever hit or something to that effect.

As for Vlad, it's been a week since he's played and I don't believe the flyers officially reported anything. That is the rule, but a concussion was not reported. He's eligible to play game 1, whether he will or not is the question.

Old
05-06-2004, 11:44 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02
on the news, Hitchcock said that Kapanen's fine and won't miss any time. as far as Malakhov, Hitch used words like "he feels groggy" and that "he got his bell wrung". he also said that he expects Malakhov to play Saturday.

Old
05-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
on the news, Hitchcock said that Kapanen's fine and won't miss any time.
That is totally amazing, he must be one sturdy guy.

Old
05-07-2004, 02:21 AM
mercury

Sami is back for Game 1, and Vlad will probably be back for Game 2 or 3, as far as I can tell.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:12 AM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Go Flyers. Tampa... your time will come soon.
But this year it cannot. :devil:

Closed Thread