HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pre-Series Thread: #1 Tampa Bay vs. #3 Philadelphia

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2004, 09:20 AM
FlyersGuy69

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
That is totally amazing, he must be one sturdy guy.
I think you could amputate both his legs and he's going to get on the ice.

Old
05-07-2004, 09:30 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Kapanen & Malakhov updates...

about Kapanen: He is expected to play in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals between the Flyers and the Lightning tomorrow at 3 p.m. in Tampa, Fla. quote from the Philly Inquirer.

about Malakhov: Also skating yesterday was defenseman Vladimir Malakhov, who was crushed by Tucker in Game 5. He, too, is expected to start the series, meaning the Russian duo of Malakhov and Danny Markov are back together after a brief separationquote from the Philly Inquirer

article: http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/8607971.htm

sounds good for the Flyers baby!

Old
05-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
Now depth on the other hand, Philly can roll three scoring lines, while Tampa only has two.

Whoa? You don't need three scoring lines in the playoffs, you only need two and then two more lines that check and chip in the occasional goals.

Old
05-07-2004, 12:28 PM
DARKSIDE

Devils fan here.

Both your teams pushed my team around this year, so, it's a little hard for me to pick this series.

I'll be interested to see if the Flyers score first and win the first game as they have in the their prior 2 series. So, I'll go with the winner of game one to win this series outright. I also believe the winner of this series goes on to win it all.

Good luck to both teams!

Old
05-07-2004, 12:43 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Just as in 2002 (DET-COL), the ECF in my opinion is the SCF. The east will win it again this year.

Then again.... thats why we play the games because analysis means squat.

Old
05-07-2004, 12:56 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Whoa? You don't need three scoring lines in the playoffs, you only need two and then two more lines that check and chip in the occasional goals.
Then I guess having three scoring lines makes us a little more dangerous, huh?

Quote:
I'll be interested to see if the Flyers score first and win the first game as they have in the their prior 2 series.
Scored first in 10 of 11 games. I hope they keep that trend going. I'm getting tired of this waiting. Is it Saturday yet!

Old
05-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Teezax

So far the Flyers proved they can beat a great defensive team with an elite goaltender, a physical team with an elite goaltender, now step 3 is beating a fierce and quick offensive team with an elite goaltender.

Old
05-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
Well I'm not a homer and I think that Tampa IS in for a little wakeup call. What competition have they had so far??, uh none. hmm, playing Montreal and NYI....or Toronto and NJ? Philly has the size advantage and as we've seen in the playoffs so far and as history tells us, size more often wins games than does skill.
Interesting since i heard on the Radio this afternoon that the average size advantage is with Tampa not by much but with a fraction of an inch and a cple lbs.

Old
05-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
I'll give you Habby is better then Esche but the LIghtning do not have the overall depth the flyers do...not even close.
Interesting since flyers had 5 players with 20+ goals

Lightning had 6 players with 20+ goals

Lightning had 5 players over 57 pts

Flyers had 2 players over 57 pts

so saying we are not deep enough compared to the flyers

Old
05-08-2004, 07:49 AM
PF

You're proving you have depth by quoting stats for your top end players...Sorry, that's not what depth is. I'm not saying you don't have depth but you're arguing it the wrong way IMO.

Old
05-08-2004, 08:10 AM
User571

Send a message via AIM to User571
I think its awsome that the only teams left are SJ Calgary Philly, and Tampa. Either way , whoever wins the cup it will be awsome. But I say the Flyers keep that cup up north.

Old
05-08-2004, 08:25 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan

Yea but the Lightning don't have 4 lines that create offense cycling the puck in the offensive zone

Old
05-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan

Yes, and lets name the Flyers forwards that didn't have 20 goals and will play today
JR
Kapanen
Primeau
Zhamnov
Radio
Somik
Brashear

Thats a hell of a impressive list of non-20 goal scoers.

Flyers 3rd line is
LeClair Handzus Recchi
for crying out loud

The Flyers are a deeper team then the Lightning.

Old
05-08-2004, 09:27 AM
rwilson99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
Yes, and lets name the Flyers forwards that didn't have 20 goals and will play today

JR (Big Mouth, No Cup)
Kapanen (No Cup)
Primeau (Almost... but traded to Hartford for B. Shanahan, No Cup)
Zhamnov (Nope)
Radio (Nada)
Somik (Zip)
Brashear (Played for Montreal in 1993... 1994 No Cup)

Just becuase these players get more time on national TV doesn't make them better players. No cup wins + low scoring production = who cares. With STARS like this on national TV every week no wonder the ratings for NHL hockey are so low in the states.

Name recognition does not win hockey games.

The Lighting have a Hall of Famer, an Olympic Tested Goalie in his third year of SC playoffs, two Cup Winners on defense, a cup winner on our third line an the two most productive and balanced scoring lines over the last two NHL seasons, period.

Speaking of deep... Bobby Clarke will offer Jay Feaster his left eye for our backup goalie by the end of this series. See you at 3:00

Old
05-08-2004, 09:38 AM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning_to_Fly
Yea but the Lightning don't have 4 lines that create offense cycling the puck in the offensive zone
This tells you everything you need to know about the state of today's NHL. We're arguing about who cycles the puck better. ::heavy sigh::

Old
05-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson99

Just becuase these players get more time on national TV doesn't make them better players. No cup wins + low scoring production = who cares. With STARS like this on national TV every week no wonder the ratings for NHL hockey are so low in the states.

Name recognition does not win hockey games.

The Lighting have a Hall of Famer, an Olympic Tested Goalie in his third year of SC playoffs, two Cup Winners on defense, a cup winner on our third line an the two most productive and balanced scoring lines over the last two NHL seasons, period.

Speaking of deep... Bobby Clarke will offer Jay Feaster his left eye for our backup goalie by the end of this series. See you at 3:00
You must be joking.

You're going to try and say they are bad players because they have no cup?
As if JR isn't as good as Grant Marshall or something.

I live in freaking Florida and get the Lightning on local TV (well Sunshine network nad regardless I have center ice). I actually like the Lightning a little bit even though I'm a Flyers fan 1st.

But don't give any stupid crap. The Flyers are a deeper team. That's the bottom line. And nothing you said disputed that. You went off into absurdity to try and argue against it. You then went off into left-field to shift the focus.

JR
Kapanen
Primeau
Zhamnov
Radio
Somik
Brashear

are better then the forward the Lightning put out there that didn't score 20 goals. Which is where this topic started so don't tell me anything about 20 goals being meaningless. I didn't say it was huge. Someone noted that the Lightning have 6 20 goal scores to the Flyers 5. I then noted that the non-20 goal scorers on the Flyers are better then the non-20 goal scores on the Lightning. AND IT'S BY A LARGE MARGIN.

Old
05-08-2004, 10:02 AM
rwilson99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
JR
Kapanen
Primeau
Zhamnov
Radio
Somik
Brashear

are better then the forward the Lightning put out there that didn't score 20 goals. Which is where this topic started so don't tell me anything about 20 goals being meaningless. I didn't say it was huge. Someone noted that the Lightning have 6 20 goal scores to the Flyers 5. I then noted that the non-20 goal scorers on the Flyers are better then the non-20 goal scores on the Lightning. AND IT'S BY A LARGE MARGIN.
The only thing your list proves is that Bobby Clarke has more money to spend on high priced, high profile underachievers. But he still doesn't have a worldclass goal tender.

Who did he trade Ron Hextall for anyway?

Old
05-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson99
The only thing your list proves is that Bobby Clarke has more money to spend on high priced, high profile underachievers. But he still doesn't have a worldclass goal tender.

Who did he trade Ron Hextall for anyway?

No, my post shows that the Flyers are the deeper team. That was the discussion. Does money play a part of that? YES!
Does having more money mean they aren't deeper? NO!

You want to go argue goalies or something, go on with your bad self. Esche has been great so far, I'd give the edge in goal to the Lightning.

Thanks for staying on topic.

Old
05-08-2004, 10:16 AM
prärievarg

Tampa Bay in 5

Old
05-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Hockeyfan02

Somik is not better than all of the Lightning non 20 goal scorers. Neither is Radio (I'm not gonna attempt to spell his name). I dont think either is better than Fedotenko or Afansenkov, I'd take those two over the Flyers pair mentioned but wed probably have a dispute over that as well. The Flyers are the deeper team and theres no arguing that IMO. Lightning are going to have to deal with a deep team like this if they want to win a cup. Theres always a good, deep team standing in the way of cup winners NJ had OT in 03, Det had Col in 02, etc. I'm not saying the Bolts are going to win the cup, but its evidence that the road to the cup goes through deep teams like Philly and the Lightning are going to have to go through a team like this if they want the prize.

Old
05-08-2004, 10:30 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
This thread is getting ugly!!

Flyers win in 7...

Old
05-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02
Somik is not better than all of the Lightning non 20 goal scorers. Neither is Radio (I'm not gonna attempt to spell his name). I dont think either is better than Fedotenko or Afansenkov, I'd take those two over the Flyers pair mentioned but wed probably have a dispute over that as well. The Flyers are the deeper team and theres no arguing that IMO. Lightning are going to have to deal with a deep team like this if they want to win a cup. Theres always a good, deep team standing in the way of cup winners NJ had OT in 03, Det had Col in 02, etc. I'm not saying the Bolts are going to win the cup, but its evidence that the road to the cup goes through deep teams like Philly and the Lightning are going to have to go through a team like this if they want the prize.

No, you misunderstood. I wasn't saying that whole list was better then any non-20 goal scorer for the Lightning. I was saying a a group they were better then the Lightnings group. And by a good margin.

Nothing more then that. Not that it means a whole hell of a lot either mind you.

Old
05-08-2004, 12:02 PM
z0llie

in my opinion, by showing how the lightning have more goal scorers just shows me why the flyers are a deeper and more balanced team. all of their lines spread points fairly evenly as opposed to the lightning's top 2.

Old
05-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Randall Graves*

Tampa in 6

Old
05-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Why is Hitch allowing his team to get suckered into a run 'n gun style of play ?

The Flyers need to lock up the neutral zone and hammer the lightning, ore they're going to get worked.

Closed Thread