Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Kari Lehtonen

Old
04-11-2010, 05:46 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Kari Lehtonen

He may be one of the most talented goaltenders in the last 20 years or so but truth to be told, I thought he was finished by his injuries... Haven't seen any games from him this year and I just wonder how did he look for you guys? Is there any hope for him playing in the NHL next year?

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Bad Karma

vCash: 500
Looked almost like Kari Lehtonen in his pre injury days with ATL. Seems to have made a nice recovery so far. Dallas will likely tender him his RFA qualifier of $3M.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Is there any hope for him playing in the NHL next year?
There isn't even a question. He'll be the No. 1 guy next year here in Dallas, unless Nieuwy goes out and finds someone else.

There's been a couple moments that you could've hit your head but overall he's look pretty good and gotten better each and every game.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:45 AM
vofty

As both have previously said he will absolutely be in the NHL next year and will be the Stars #1 guy. Considering he hadn't played in a year I would say he did extremely well, there was a bit of rust at the beginning but truth be told not nearly as much as I had expected. He has looked very solid.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Killer Keller

If he played the entire year for the Stars they would probably be in the playoffs. They are going to miss by 6-8 points, they missed out on 10 points in the shootout alone and with how much better Kari is than Turco or Auld, especially in the shootout, he could easily have made up those points. The only concern I have (along with everyone else) is his health, hopefully a change of scenery and more than a year of injury recovery will make him take his off ice training and diet a little more seriously.

Killer Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 09:16 PM
hyena

As long as he stays away from the cheeseburgers in the offseason, he should be OK

hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 09:59 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
I am hoping the move really reignited his career. Such an awesome talent.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:51 AM
Baisleyens

any updates as to how his off season training is going?

Baisleyens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Nemesis73

I would also like to know, is there any news about him?

Nemesis73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:18 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
There's not really much to report other than that he is on a conditioning program that is being closely monitored by the Stars, as you would expect.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Starsdude

crawford on Kari

Found this both sad and funny

"We're excited about where Kari is and the emphasis he’s put on his conditioning," Crawford said during an interview with ESPN Dallas at the draft. "He really sees, as we do, the tremendous opportunity we all have. He’s going to be one of the biggest factors, if not the biggest factor, on how we improve defensively."

So we are relying on the Hamburglar conditioning program to get us on top. Also does his final remrk mean that no deal for a new d-man is imminent?

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
So we are relying on the Hamburglar conditioning program to get us on top. Also does his final remrk mean that no deal for a new d-man is imminent?
As always you read things into quotes that just aren't there simply to feed into your opinion.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:13 AM
vofty

Personally my favorite part of that little bit was
Quote:
He has taken it upon himself to spend weeks and blocks of time working on his game.
Really he has ~5 months off and he can take a couple of weeks to work on his game? WTF?

Old
06-29-2010, 11:20 AM
TrueGrit

You're reading way too far into this, this is exciting news that he's getting in shape as the original poster said his talent is through the roof, this could help him stay healthy and gain consistency.

As for the defense question, imagine strong goaltending instead of Turco last season. The defense looks a hell of a lot better in that case.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starnsy View Post
As for the defense question, imagine strong goaltending instead of Turco last season. The defense looks a hell of a lot better in that case.
Defense two years ago without Turco = maybe I can see it.

Last year with any goaltender was absolutely awful.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

hopefully a legitimate organization can keep him in shape so that his talent can finally shine. too bad atlanta couldn't get it together while we still had him. luckily we didn't have time to ruin pavelec before our owners actually started giving a crap.

at the end of the day it's all a mental issue with karppa. if ya'll can get him to stay in shape and get over his confidence issues his physical talent should be able to carry your team like it did ours the year we made the playoffs.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Defense two years ago without Turco = maybe I can see it.

Last year with any goaltender was absolutely awful.
I know we all 'tear strips' off the d-core for being absolutely horendous, and the stats support the claim, no doubt.

I'm guessing not many people in the Dallas area play a whole lot of hockey outside of organized kids minor hockey. It's not to say that because someone plays hockey they knows more about the game or they are more passionate about the game, but if you have put in a number of full seasons in any type of competitive league, it gives you an idea of what these guys deal with (in terms of confidence issues) game to game, year to year.

I strongly believe, if Kari can play to his touted abilities, the D will improve greatly. Nothing we all haven't heard before, but having the confidence that you can go out there, take some chances, learn and be baled out once in a while is huge. It is such a fine line in gaining and losing confidence for players with talent enough to get to the NHL. The D core may not boast top end talent, but I can tell you they will play a lot better in front of a guy who saves their *** the majority of the time. It's also a matter of one of young guys really stepping up (wink mother****** wink, nudge, nudge Niskanen) his game and the other guys will feed off that. Not saying we don't need to add one solid piece to the backend, but it's not as dreadful as we seem to think.

I like to think that if Phoenix can pull off 100 pts. with solid tending and relative unknowns on the backend, so can Dallas. Yes Tips' system helps, but maybe Larsen or Niskanen emerge like a Yandle or Giordano did this season.

I'm not going to tell you to be optimisitic, but it is possible that a small change in dynamic and player psyche can go a long way to turning this around.

Last edited by Karitimes: 07-01-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
wingsarekings*

I was hoping the stars would sign Nittymaki to backup Lehtonen, form a finnish connection. Hedberg is out there, and a couple others.

wingsarekings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by warf1234 View Post
I was hoping the stars would sign Nittymaki to backup Lehtonen, form a finnish connection. Hedberg is out there, and a couple others.
me too, but we get the Toronto Nieuwendyk connection instead.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Nemesis73

Here are some news about Kari:

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

I cannot wait for season start!

Nemesis73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 07:44 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Just make sure you've got a guy to light a fire into Kari competitively and he will be really good.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 07:53 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Does management have any kind of plan B if he doesn't work out or his injuries return?
If they don't, Auld as our starter and either Krahn or Bachman as our back-up doesn't fly well with me. Maybe someone would step up and shine, but I just don't see that out of the goalies we have in the system right now, or at least not at this point. Will we sign one of the remaining UFAs? Try and wait it out and see if he comes back strong? Anyone know anything about something like this?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 07:56 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Stars View Post
Does management have any kind of plan B if he doesn't work out or his injuries return?
If they don't, Auld as our starter and either Krahn or Bachman as our back-up doesn't fly well with me. Maybe someone would step up and shine, but I just don't see that out of the goalies we have in the system right now, or at least not at this point. Will we sign one of the remaining UFAs? Try and wait it out and see if he comes back strong? Anyone know anything about something like this?
Auld is playing for Montreal, we put him on waivers last year he was picked up by NYR and he left them as a free agent. The Stars signed Raycroft to a two-way deal this summer. They will let Krahn and Raycroft battle it out for the backup position. So no they will not sign one of the remaining UFAs.

Old
08-01-2010, 06:23 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
Auld is playing for Montreal, we put him on waivers last year he was picked up by NYR and he left them as a free agent. The Stars signed Raycroft to a two-way deal this summer. They will let Krahn and Raycroft battle it out for the backup position. So no they will not sign one of the remaining UFAs.
WOW. Did I really do that? Haha, that makes me feel stupid...
Any idea about what they'd do if he suffers a long term injury or goes out for an entire season? I'd be fine with Raycroft starting, especially if he can find the stride he hit early on in his career. Any chance we'd be able to trade him for Rask again?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Chad_

Raycroft and Krahn seem to be the Stars top two choices for backups. That leaves Bachman and Beskorowany in the minors, probably in that order, if the former two didn't cut it.

It's definitely a risk with Lehtonen's injury history.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote