HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Wilson or......Ken Hitchcock

Old
04-11-2010, 11:19 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
RW wasn't my choice to begin with, and he wouldn't be my choice today.

With BB and RW, it feels similar to the Sutter situation in Calgary.

BB even said RW is more important to him than the team results. He said he'd trade all the players before Wilson. This stinks of nepotism (although not family), of putting personal feelings above the good of the team.

My guy is probably getting fired from Atlanta anyway.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Jerkini

I've not been a fan of Wilson for a long time now, but Hitchcock is definitely going in the wrong direction.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:30 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
RW wasn't my choice to begin with, and he wouldn't be my choice today.

With BB and RW, it feels similar to the Sutter situation in Calgary.

BB even said RW is more important to him than the team results. He said he'd trade all the players before Wilson. This stinks of nepotism (although not family), of putting personal feelings above the good of the team.

My guy is probably getting fired from Atlanta anyway.
Hes pretty much their now.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I like Wilson. The only reason we should fire him is if Melrose wants the job

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Brown Dog

I wouldn't shed any tears if Wilson got the boot--and he'll likely be on a short leash next season--but I don't think Hitchcock is the answer either. Both seem to belong to the old school, and today's player just doesn't seem to respond to that. Would be nice to get a young(ish) coach that could grow with the young players.

On the other hand, I don't really want a rookie either. Seems you should cut your teeth somewhere else and come to Toronto with a track record in the NHL.

Hard to find a balance between the two.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
He said he'd trade all the players before Wilson. This stinks of nepotism (although not family), of putting personal feelings above the good of the team.
To be fair, he said that when Toskala, Blake, Hagman, Stajan, Mayers, White, Poni and Stempniak were still on the team. Since that time that he did trade those guys, they were average, while being the youngest team in the league.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Un33q

dont want that walrus anywhere near our young talent

Un33q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

[QUOTE=sgupca;25072994]He's also coached the best PP and PK in the league

What have you done for me lately?

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delayed Offside View Post
maybe it's just me but i don't hold the coach 100% at fault for special teams... the players on the ice deserve some heat for bad play....

also i would keep RW over Ken but i think we all know that if he leafs get off to a terrible start again, RW won't last long
Word. Our PK sucks because we had Toskala who was like 60% with our PK and you can see how much of a huge effect that had because he did play a lot of game. Gus and Giguere have been 84%+ which is like good enough to be 5-10th in the league.

I can't explain the PP but I think it has to do with the fact that we just don't have the right types of player. When Phaneuf is taking a shot, there is literally no presence in front of the net and there is no one that can do one-timers other than Phaneuf, we need someone to go criss cross to for one-timers other than Phaneuf. Bozak and Kulemin aren't really scoring threats on the PP... it's only Phaneuf and Kessel and the players go way up to block their shot because they are the only ones that take it.

The coaches should try to get the players to do more backdoor passes and the PP should be an umbrella looking PP.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Stephen

If the Leafs got Hitchcock, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kessel, Bozak, Stalberg, Hanson, Kulemin all struggle mightily.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:59 PM
TheTotalPackage

If you want Kessel to turn into what Kovalchuk has become in New Jersey and you want Kadri to turn into a miserable bust, by all means, bring in Hitchcock.

I want to see what Wilson can do with this group from the get-go, but while on a short leash. If this team is behind the 8-ball at the quarter mark, can him.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:32 AM
The Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
Jeeze

You guys that want Wilson out that would fire him would be terrible GM's. You can't just throw super stars together and expect them to play and never lose. You NEED stability in your organization if not and you keep making too many changes important ones at that you'll never get out of the bottom. I've seen that many times before it doesn't work. Keep Wilson for another season maybe two depending on how much this team does change and who's on it.

People expecting a stanley cup run at the start of this season were crazy . Face it our team is RE-BUILDING. The sooner people get that in their thick skulls the better because we wont have threads talking about who to fire and who to trade every 3 seconds
True,
They have stability with Wilson. Nowhere near the playoffs.
Stay stable my friend!!!

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:38 AM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
True,
They have stability with Wilson. Nowhere near the playoffs.
Stay stable my friend!!!
*bangs head off desk*

Yah because the team Wilson has is the same one he had in San Jose right? Give me a break . its not always teh coaches fault for a team playing like crap. The coach doesn't stop pucks or score. You can't go into a season with half the team as rookies and the other half never playing with eachother you're NOT goign to win. Simple as that, get over it.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:56 AM
ThinMcWhistle

I say give Wilson next season on very thin ice. If it looks like the team is headed nowhere again, cut him loose early.

Ie. If we start with 10 straight losses, fire him.

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:58 AM
dissociater

I don't think Wilson's a terrible coach, it's just that it seems his style is only suited to a certain type of team with certain types of players. The 2009-2010 Toronto Maple Leafs are not the San Jose Sharks, but sometimes I got the feeling that he was trying to turn the team into one that could play the Shark's game when it just didn't appear to have the personel to pull that off. It really felt at times this season that he was unwilling to adjust, once he realized that the players he had couldn't play the style he wanted. It kind of reminded me of Ned Flander's parents: "We've tried nothing, man, and we're all out of ideas!" Or like a fight coach trying to turn a finess fighter into a power puncher. Sometimes all it does is make him worse at the finess game, without getting any good at the power game.

On the other hand, we don't really know the thought process of Wilson and Burke. It's not so far out there to suggest that maybe Wilson coached this style knowing that it was going to lose them a lot of games but with the hopes that it would allow him to A: See what kind of talent was on the team without the insulation of a system like the trap, and B: allow the younger players the opportunity to learn from mistakes and be creative and develop into better players. So that when the time came to implement a different system, they would be players better able to do so.

So, I wouldn't be terribly upset to see Wilson fired, but it depends on who his replacement would be. I certainly wouldn't want Hitchcock to step behind the bench.

dissociater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Tonka
9.5%?

Wilson had to start the year off with like Stajan, Hagman, Stalberg as his go-to guys. And look at his team now, he only has one top 3 forward to work with.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote