HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Oilers/ Anaheim Ducks Last game of the season

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2010, 12:02 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Edmonton Oilers/ Anaheim Ducks Last game of the season

OILERS (27-46-8) at DUCKS (38-32-11)

Last 10: Edmonton 5-4-1; Anaheim 4-3-3

TV Sportsnet West
Radio 630 Ched
Puck drop 6:08 Pm

Season series: Fourth and final meeting. The Ducks will be going for the season sweep. They own 3-2 victories at both the Honda Center and Rexall Place and also a 7-3 road win over the Oilers in the final game before the Olympic break. Ryan Getzlaf returned that night from an ankle sprain to record a pair of power-play goals and four total points.

Big story: Each team is aiming for one final victory to take into the offseason. Edmonton has won three in a row and no longer has to worry about finishing with the fewest points in franchise history. Anaheim is dealing with the disappointment of missing the playoffs one season after getting in as the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference and upsetting San Jose in the first round before getting ousted in a seven-game series by Detroit.

Team Scope:

Oilers: The road hasn't been a kind place for Edmonton this season, but after blowing a three-goal, third-period lead in Los Angeles on Saturday afternoon, the Oilers responded with a 4-3 shootout victory. Ryan Potulny and Shawn Horcoff connected in the penalty-shot tiebreaker after Mike Comrie scored twice in regulation and Tom Gilbert added a shorthanded tally. Devan Dubnyk stood on his head, making 52 saves and denying two of three shootout attempts.

"The guys were really battling out there for me today, and that's how I was able to take away some of those 50-50 pucks," Dubnyk said. "It's never an easy last game of the season, especially when we're not in the playoffs, but there are jobs up for grabs, and no one wants to end on a sour note."

Ducks: The expectation is that veterans like Teemu Selanne, Scott Niedermayer and Saku Koivu, who didn't accompany Anaheim on its road trip to Dallas and St. Louis, will return to the lineup for the season finale. The Ducks have lost three straight, burned in the last two games by a pair of wily veterans. Mike Modano, who may retire at season's end, had the tying goal and the shootout winner in a 3-2 Stars win on Thursday and Keith Tkachuk had a pair of assists in his final NHL game as the Blues rallied for a 6-3 win on Friday.

"It's a pretty neat experience for me, being able to play in those games after watching those guys my whole life," said rookie Matt Beleskey, who scored twice in St. Louis.

Who's hot: Comrie has three goals in his last two games for the Oilers. Gilbert has a goal and eight assists during a four-game points streak. Dustin Penner had five goals and three assists during a four-game points streak that ended Saturday.

Bobby Ryan has four goals and four assists during a five-game points streak for the Ducks. Selanne had six goals and nine assists in his last 10 games and Koivu had four goals and five assists in his last four games before each sat out the recent road trip.

Injury report: Edmonton forward Robert Nilsson missed Saturday's game due to dizziness. Goalie Nikolai Khabibulin (back), defensemen Sheldon Souray (hand), Ladislav Smid (neck) and Theo Peckham (shoulder) and forwards Ales Hemsky (shoulder), Ryan Stone (knee), Jean-Francois Jacques (back), Sam Gagner (hip) and Gilbert Brule (ankle) were all lost for the season.

Getzlaf has missed the last eight games for Anaheim with an ankle injury. Also sidelined are forward Joffrey Lupul (back) and defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky (hand).

Stat pack: The Oilers have won just two of their last 23 road games -- both shootout victories over the Kings. Corey Perry leads the Ducks with a career-high 75 points. Getzlaf has 69 in the 66 games he has played.

Puck drop: Dubnyk and fellow rookie Jeff Deslauriers have routinely faced 40 shots or more in the Edmonton net but have also turned in some brilliant performances down the stretch to help end a difficult season on a promising note.

Old
04-11-2010, 12:04 PM
McQuixote

vCash: 500
I'm regretting not getting Center Ice this season. Anybody know of any good online sources that one could use to watch Philly/Rangers this afternoon?

Old
04-11-2010, 12:18 PM
bzur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
I'm regretting not getting Center Ice this season. Anybody know of any good online sources that one could use to watch Philly/Rangers this afternoon?
http://www.atdhe.net/

It's listed on there. Should work!

Old
04-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Last prediction of the season.

I predict Tuesday's GDT for a 30-min block of programming will have more posts than this GDT.

Lets go 2009 - 2010 Oilers, send us off with a glimmer of better things to come.

Old
04-11-2010, 01:27 PM
reckless_abandon

"It's the last game of the season, on a Friday night at home, and no one knows the reason, why the blind man didn't come..." - David Gedds

I'm hoping that the ducks get covered in Oil and the good guys come away with a win and a positive memory heading into a dark off season. Last game with Quinn as a coach? Last game we see Moreau, Pisani, Strudwick in Oilers silks? Will the popcorn taste good? All these questions will be answered soon.

Old
04-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless_abandon View Post
"It's the last game of the season, on a Friday night at home, and no one knows the reason, why the blind man didn't come..." - David Gedds

I'm hoping that the ducks get covered in Oil and the good guys come away with a win and a positive memory heading into a dark off season. Last game with Quinn as a coach? Last game we see Moreau, Pisani, Strudwick in Oilers silks? Will the popcorn taste good? All these questions will be answered soon.
Last game with Quinn as coach?

Who the heck thinks Quinn is gone after this year?

Old
04-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Orochimaru
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post

Every fanbase not named the Edmonton Oilers.

Old
04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Last prediction of the season.

I predict Tuesday's GDT for a 30-min block of programming will have more posts than this GDT.

Lets go 2009 - 2010 Oilers, send us off with a glimmer of better things to come.
no doubt and if the oilers lose the draw it will have the most posts of any GDT this season

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
04-11-2010, 01:59 PM
reckless_abandon

Quote:

Sadly, I live out near the big smoke, and have heard the rumour that he will step down after this dismal year. I don't remember where I heard it, I'll look for a link. Could just have been the eastern bias that, you know, hates everything Oil. It's hard out here.

Old
04-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Jmask83

Thank god its almost over. Knowing me though I'll miss the Oilers in a week or so but right now I never want to watch another game.

Old
04-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Sadly, I live out near the big smoke, and have heard the rumour that he will step down after this dismal year. I don't remember where I heard it, I'll look for a link. Could just have been the eastern bias that, you know, hates everything Oil. It's hard out here.
That would really make me sad if he quit after one year. I hope thats not true

Old
04-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
Thank god its almost over. Knowing me though I'll miss the Oilers in a week or so but right now I never want to watch another game.
You know you never had to watch any of them, right?

Old
04-11-2010, 02:34 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
I wish I could have watched more games this season maybe next season.

Old
04-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

When we say "last game of the season", it is actually the last game of the NHL regular season. The game starts after every other game is finished.

Not sure if it is because of that trivia or if it is because of the great odds - I put vCash on the Oilers to win...

Old
04-11-2010, 02:43 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
When we say "last game of the season", it is actually the last game of the NHL regular season. The game starts after every other game is finished.

Not sure if it is because of that trivia or if it is because of the great odds - I put vCash on the Oilers to win...

After tonight I only care about the lotto and then the draft, then resiging RFA and then the fall

Old
04-11-2010, 04:33 PM
McQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentz0r View Post
http://www.atdhe.net/

It's listed on there. Should work!
Thank you. Would have sucked to miss this one.

Edit: Bah! Effin' shootout.

Last edited by McQuixote: 04-11-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old
04-11-2010, 04:37 PM
McQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
After tonight I only care about the lotto and then the draft, then resiging RFA and then the fall
In a way, I find the playoffs hold a different interest when the Oilers are out (especially the 1st round) and I'm able to cast the net of my interest pretty wide across the league. All the different combinations of matchups, all the different possibilities for classics. I remember the Avs/Wild matchup of a few years ago that looked like it was going to be a complete washout, but wound up being one of my favorites of all time. Same with the Nucks/Flames in 04. Or how the Capitals were always good for one epic playoff game each year in the 80s.

Old
04-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 67
NYR-PHI going to the shootout

Old
04-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Muscles Glasses

I wonder how many players will be wearing an Oilers jersey for the last time ever tonight?

Old
04-11-2010, 05:25 PM
korqeldroma

If the Oilers can keep Ryan and Selanne off the scoresheet tonight, I stand to win about 450 dollars in my hockeypool.

Old
04-11-2010, 05:36 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

I hope Whitney feeds Bodie a crosscheck to the yapper.

Old
04-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Quote:
I remember hearing on Tencer's show this rumor was BS, Quinn was asked about it in an interview and said absolutely not.

Old
04-11-2010, 05:51 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I hope Whitney feeds Bodie a crosscheck to the yapper.
OHHHHHHHHHHH right, dammit now i have to watch

Old
04-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:

I really think he'll be the head coach at leats one more year. he has some good players to look forward to, and would probably want to quit on a positive note.

Old
04-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Everyone should tune into CHED, this is going to be a historic game.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome

Closed Thread