04-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
End of Season Review

Now that the seasons over here are my ratings (min 15 games):

Nik Antropov 76GP 24G 43A 67PTS
Grade: A
He was a good player pre Kovy trade but became a great player post Kovy trade. Earned an A on jersey at the end of the season, that may turn into a C next season.

Maxim Afinogenov 82GP 24G 37A 61PTS
Thrashers certainly got their moneys worth with Max. The most surprising aspect is probably that he played 82 games. Hope he is back next season.

Rich Peverley 82GP 22G 33A 55PTS
Grade: B+
Super first half going at almost a point per game pace. Tailored off badly in the 2nd half, maybe as a result he hasn't played a full NHL season before. Now that he got that done he should be better next season fitness wise because of it.

Tobias Enstrom 82GP 6G 44A 50PTS
Breakout season and evolved into a top 20 d-man in the NHL. Finally given PP unit 1 time after spending too much time behind Hainsey on PP in the previous season and rewarded Atlanta with a 50 point season, smashing the previous Atlanta record for points from a D-man. Got his faced smashed in the off-season and was a little tentative on D at times but should be better next season. There is also still scope for his offense totals to improve if he starts to shoot the puck more.

Pavel Kubina 76GP 6G 32A 38PTS
Was on track for another 40 point season until he got injured late. Probably his best season of his career. The Thrashers sorely missed him heading into the crucial final 2 weeks. Kubina must be re-signed.

Bryan Little 79GP 13G 21A 34PTS
Grade: D-
Did the kid get a little ahead of himself? THN named him in the top 50 players in the NHL at the start of the season. The goal drop of from 31 was far too significant to suggest he was snakebit. Little still got ample top 6 minutes and PP time. Showed a glimpse late when paired with Antropov and Bergfors. He certainly wasn't help by the form slump of regular linemates Kozlov and White and perhaps JA should of done more by switching Little back to center for an extended period of time. Thrashers need him to rebound.

Colby Armstrong 79GP 15G 14A 29PTS
Grade: C
Was down on last season production when he potted 20 goals. He kinds of frustrates me with some bad penalties he takes. I'm a bit under decided on whether I want him to return. He probably makes too much money as a third liner but the thrasher need his size, physicality and grit on the wings.

Evander Kane 66GP 14G 12A 26PTS
Grade: B
Another player Atlanta badly missed when he got injured. He's going to be very good. Hopefully he spends the offseason in the gym to bulk up because the team needs Evander in a top 6 role next season.

Slava Kozlov 55GP 8G 18A 26PTS
Grade: E
Wow did father time really did catch up Slava in a hurry. I can't put my finger on how such a drop off in production could happen. A great servant of the club, its a shame it had to end this way.

Todd White 65GP 7G 19A 26PTS
Grade: D-
I'm not sure if he has a role anymore. Antropov and Peverley have clearly established themselves as the preferred top 2 center option while Jim Slater and Marty Reasoner is a pretty good 3rd and 4th line combo. Another player that struggled badly with his own game as well as with Kozlov and Little. Atlanta should look to trade him in the offseason.

Ron Hainsey 80GP 5G 21A 26PTS
Grade: C+
Played a different role this season as a more shut down d-man than an offensive d-man. Isn't really suited to the role but still worked hard for the team each week, among the team leaders in blocked shots. Went from 40 points last season to only 26 but that was because of the change in role and significantly reduced minutes on the power play. Looked much better when paired with Oduya late in the season. Hopefully that continues and his offensive totals should also improve next season.

Zach Bogosian 81GP 10G 13A 23PTS
Grade: C-
Team worst +/-, his play probably earned him a D grade but I've been a bit lenient because I know he played the majority of the season with a wrist injury. God knows why JA didn't sit him to let it properly heal. Thrasher need to be very careful that he gets the right coaching and mentoring so they don't waste his talent.

Jim Slater 61GP 11G 7A 18PTS
After being benched for most of the first quarter of the season, Slater took his chance when inserted back into the lineup and kept it for the rest of the season. Scored some big goals for the team in January and earned another contract.

Niclas Bergfors 27GP 8G 9A 17PTS
Grade: B+
His Atlanta stats pro-rata over a full season would give him a 25 goal 50 point year which is better than I expected coming over from NJ.

Marty Reasoner 80GP 4G 13A 17PTS
Same old Marty, very solid, good penalty killing. Would probably put up better offensive totals if he wasn't downgraded from 3rd to 4th line.

Chris Thorburn 76GP 4G 9A 13PTS
Grade: B-
Really pleased that he added penalty killing to his game as he probably wasn't doing enough for the team in the prior season. Led the team with 3 SHG.

Johnny Oduya 27GP 1G 8A 9PTS
Steady stay at home d-man that the thrashers probably needed to even the mix. He and Hainsey were Atlanta's two best d-man in the final stretch of games.

Clark MacArthur 21GP 3G 6A 9PTS
His offensive totals for Atlanta pro-rata would amount to 36 points which would put him the 4th highest scoring forward. That seems decent for a 3rd liner but I need to see him more over a full season.

Eric Boulton 62GP 2G 6A 8PTS
Grade: D+
He alright as a 4th line goon. But I don't see him coming back next season if Artyukhin is signed. Nothing against Bolts is that Arty has more strings to his bow. Even Thorburn added the PK to his game. I don't think Bolts can survive on his fighting skills.

Evgeny Artyukhin 17GP 5G 2A 7PTS
His big, fast, can fight and can chip in with some goals. Pretty much the ideal goon. I would like to see him return next season.

Christoph Schubert 47GP 2G 5A 7PTS
I don't mind him as the 6th d-man but I also don't think he should be back. He was a bit injury prone and with Kulda and Vishnevskiy ready for a look in the NHL, Schubert unfortunately makes way for the youth movement.

Mark Popovic 37GP 2G 2A 4PTS
Grade: D
I don't think he is up to NHL standard. He played far too much as a result of injuries to other defenseman. Also given he doesn't really have any upside from a 7th d-man role, I rather give game to younger defenseman with more potential like Valabik, Kulda and Vishnevskiy.

Boris Valabik 23GP 0G 2A 2PTS
Grade: D+
Has improved over the last few seasons but I fail to see that he will become anything better than a bottom pairing d-man. Ideally I think he needs another year in the AHL as I don't think he can get much of a rhythm if he is scratched every 2nd game. Tore his ACL and will a fair chunk of 2010/2011 season which will set his development back a little.

Johan Hedberg 47GP 42S 2.62GAA .915SV% 3SO
Moose had 4 consecutive seasons where his save percentage became worse from the prior season before this seasons very good effort, the best of his career. He puts the Thrashers in a tough spot because it is hard to not to re-sign a guy that was very good especially carrying the load when your first choice Lehtonen can't get healthy. My heart would love to see him back but my head says to don't re-sign him due to his advancing age and previous consecutive poor seasons suggesting that this season maybe a fluke.

Ondrej Pavelec 42GP 40S 3.29GAA .910SV% 2SO
An up and down season which is pretty much expected for a rookie goaltender in his first full NHL season. Pavelec has convinced me that he will be a very capable backup at very least for Atlanta and that the team made the right decision keeping him over Lehtonen. I expect his numbers to improve with more experience but wouldn't mind if Atlanta acquires a legit no 1 in the offseason which results in Pavelec getting slightly less games and starts. Hopefully the team has learned from history that they shouldn't over work young netminders too early like Pavelec.

Last edited by Peter Sidorkiewicz: 04-14-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Closed Thread