Is Waddell finally going to be fired?

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2010, 12:22 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

vCash: 500
Is Waddell finally going to be fired?

Well since we aren't making the playoffs and it's almost official if it isn't already, I wanted to get peoples thoughts if any changes will be made in the offseason.

One playoff appearance in 10 seasons. Zero playoff wins. Worst winning % since entering the league. Multiple lottery picks. Every year is almost a top 10 draft pick.

Is the ownership ever going to be dedicated to winning and actually WANT to win and build a successful franchise?

Old
04-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Tommy Hawk

I doubt it. They didn't do anything in 9 years, what's another year?

Old
04-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Well since we aren't making the playoffs and it's almost official if it isn't already, I wanted to get peoples thoughts if any changes will be made in the offseason.

One playoff appearance in 10 seasons. Zero playoff wins. Worst winning % since entering the league. Multiple lottery picks. Every year is almost a top 10 draft pick.

Is the ownership ever going to be dedicated to winning and actually WANT to win and build a successful franchise?
Hope so but the most recent STH meeting the question was raised to the owner and he responded that it is something he doesn't want to do and it would be an easy way out to please the fans - something along those lines.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Bongo

This team is nothing but a tenant for nights there's no B-ball or rock shows. AS has no intention to build a winning, competitive club. D-Wad is the perfect man for that job.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:12 AM
DoomMF

He just rid us of Kari and Kovy, why fire him now? It's another rebuild, if you let him start it, you might as well let him finish it (again).

Guy isn't a great GM, but he is great at avoiding unemployment.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Ashe

No. IN all honesty. Now that he was given some spending cash, has Dudley with him (WHO will not become GM. he has stated he doesnt like it). THe two headed monster approach seems tto be working very very well.

Old
04-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

i doubt it...but honestly, i really havent had a problem with anything he has done in the past couple of years since rebuild #3 got under way.

i think he is doing it the right way this time....maybe

Old
04-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Toque-trick

You can't be serious?

Seriously, how could you possibly consider letting go a GM who has guided this franchise to a current, through today, winning percentage of .376 over ten years? I mean really, throw out the first two seasons of "expansion-itis" and it's a damn gaudy .413 !

Where you going to find better??? [/sarcasm]

Old
04-05-2010, 09:13 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
He just rid us of Kari and Kovy, why fire him now? It's another rebuild, if you let him start it, you might as well let him finish it (again).
Can it technically be a "rebuild" if we've never had a solid foundation to begin with?

Hell, if we re-sign Afinogenov and Kubina, I daresay we're on our way to actually having a solid foundation to begin an actual "build" with. A whole ten years later.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:07 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

ownership had to slash ticket prices to unheard of $25 for a lower bowl seat just to get 13,000 into the building. Levenson said at the STH Townhall back in January that he understood that firing WAddell would bring people back. He was hedging because there was still a chance that the franchise would play better. It's not, and now the other owners' pocketbooks should finally force the breakup of Levenson and his poolboy.

Here we are losing one-goal games again just like in October and November. Is that really better?

Last year, the "smoke and mirrors" trick was playing to a better winning percentage at the end of the year like Carolina and Toronto have done this year. Once you are out of the playoffs, players play for contracts. No pressure, just tryouts for new teams. New motivation for players to get off their collective *****.

These become "Letdown" games for teams in the hunt. How many games did the Thrashers tank to teams below us after the Olympic break? Carolina, Florida, Tampa, Toronto, Columbus.... Of all teams, the Thrashers don't have the playoff history to allow for those "Letdown" games.

This team is not markedly better to a point that "All hands are safe." The rest of the East sucks too. 84 points gets you 12th place in the West, 7 points out of a playoff spot! We have 81 points! That's another top 8 draft pick! Wonder if we can pull off another Alex Bourret?

No, if you want an NHL team in Atlanta, the ownership must fire Waddell in order to woo back the paying customers. We once had over 10,000 season ticket holders. This year was a catastophe, and as one of the last hangers on to spend money that is no longer dispensible income, count me as a past STH if they keep Waddell.

Old
04-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post

Guy isn't a great GM, but he is great at avoiding unemployment.
That doesn't make any sense. If he is to be fired, this offseason is the perfect time, since you would be giving the new GM more freedom to operate a rebuild modeled through his own vision of a successful team. If you keep Waddell for a "rebuild", then replace him later, you run the risk of the new GM needing to clean up the mess. It's like waiting to fire an awful architect after a house is built, then hiring a new guy to stand in the basement with his arms on the ceiling to keep the whole thing from collapsing.

Kari and Kovy were Waddell's acquisitions, and trading them signifies his many failures to build an adequate team. I just don't see any logic in the statement "He just rid us of Kari and Kovy, why fire him now?"

Old
04-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

He's not getting fired. I would put money on it.

Old
04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Kari and Kovy were Waddell's acquisitions, and trading them signifies his many failures to build an adequate team. I just don't see any logic in the statement "He just rid us of Kari and Kovy, why fire him now?"
It's a statement to indicate disappointment with the realization that Waddell will probably be back next year, with a brand new contract in hand.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Guy Legend

For the Thrasher's sake, I hope they finally make a change. It's unbelievable that Waddell has stuck around so long.

Old
04-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Toque-trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
He's not getting fired. I would put money on it.
And as long as that's the case, I'd put money on me not stepping foot back in that building.

Old
04-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Georgia Dawg

Sad to say, but I just do not see him getting fired. If he has not already, would this season really do it?

Old
04-06-2010, 08:16 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Philips Arena will continue to be half empty as long as Waddell is in charge, and the sad thing is that the owners know this and are fine with it.

It is a shame, but there is really nothing we can do about it. How does a consumer try to change the behavior of a company that doesn't care about losing money?

Old
04-06-2010, 09:22 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...thrashers_blog

"I didn’t mean anything personal. It’s just reality right now. [They Thrashers have] got so many young great players who can be really good, but you have to treat them right, train them right, teach them the game right and they are going to be successful. Like Pittsburgh, Chicago and Washington, they were last in the league and all of a sudden in a couple years they win the Cup or Presidents Trophy. That’s where they should look up to and try to do the same thing.”

Something he could only say by demanding the MAX contract in order to save himself. Something Marian Hossa could only state by keeping quiet and refusing to negotiate.

The rest of the article is worth the read, especially by the owners.

Waddle twisted the knife in yet another guy's back when the stench continues to blow from his own mouth. How many more guys do the fans get the thrill of booing out of Phillips before the masses get a clue as to who is to blame?????

Next up, Colby Armstrong, Max Afinogenov, Pavel Kubina.

In the hole, Bryan Little, Zach Bogosian, Bergfors, and Ondrej Pavelec (who by the way already called DW a liar and wanted out last year).

Thank goodness there won't be a problem with Blueland Island capsizing like Guam. Not enough quality players to weigh it down or tip it over.

Old
04-06-2010, 11:06 PM
FrenchKheldar

But it's all OK guys, because at the Home Depot dumbass game, you can win a flag. A Blueland flag... And they even give you a drill to hang it on your wall !

Old
04-06-2010, 11:11 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

lol. Ya, we saw that and almost choked! You don't need a drill, it's the little flag that they gave away last year. Leftovers are getting cleared out.

Saturday's prize.....A PUCKHEAD HAT!

Old
04-07-2010, 11:28 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Wow I had a dream and I woke up in my dream and heard on TV that Waddell was fired and I thought it was so real thinking hockey is finally going to go somewhere in Atlanta! Then I woke up...

Chucky's AV is going to be right in about 3 years if Waddell doesn't get fired.

I don't know how ANYONE can defend the worst GM in nhl history. If you are defending him please explain right now why. The Thrashers are what they are now because of 1 man only.

Old
04-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Wow I had a dream and I woke up in my dream and heard on TV that Waddell was fired and I thought it was so real thinking hockey is finally going to go somewhere in Atlanta! Then I woke up...

Chucky's AV is going to be right in about 3 years if Waddell doesn't get fired.

I don't know how ANYONE can defend the worst GM in nhl history. If you are defending him please explain right now why. The Thrashers are what they are now because of 1 man only.
Not the worst in history but close to it. See Pulford.

Amazing that there is such a disparate result in two expansion franchises - Atlanta and Nashville. I think if the Thrashers had the success Nashville did, the arena would be packed.

Last edited by Tommy Hawk: 04-08-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old
04-07-2010, 02:11 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
I really think the clock is ticking on Waddell. I don't think he will be fired this offseason, but if we miss the playoffs next year, he is gone. I think you fire Waddell before you fire Anderson.

Old
04-07-2010, 02:13 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I don't know how he's made it this far.

But as a Caps fan...I hope he sticks around.

Old
04-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Bongo

Since nobody at ASS(Atlanta Spirit Sux)knows the first thing about hockey, Donnie is their guy. Given the fact that anyone with any integrity would never consider working for such a jack leg operation; D-Wad's job is probably still safe. I mean hell whats another year of mediocrity.

I'm hoping Anderson get's canned as well but that probably won't happen either.

Closed Thread