HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing other sports as cross-training

Old
05-11-2010, 11:58 AM
gintonic

vCash: 500
Playing other sports as cross-training

Was curious as to what sports others play during hockey off-season as cross training to keep in shape. And which are recommended for such.

I actually had the crazy idea of maybe trying rugby seeing as it's a high contact sport like hockey and would definitely keep you in shape.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:08 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gintonic View Post
Was curious as to what sports others play during hockey off-season as cross training to keep in shape. And which are recommended for such.

I actually had the crazy idea of maybe trying rugby seeing as it's a high contact sport like hockey and would definitely keep you in shape.
Rugby isn't a bad idea if you don't mind the risk of injury.

The idea behind cross-training is to use your body in a way that is unlike hockey. Given that hockey is all about high-intensity anaerobic exercise, you'd think that low intensity aerobic exercise might be best for a hockey player.

If it were me, I'd take up soccer or lacrosse for team sports, and jogging/biking/swimming for individual activity.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:47 PM
stick9

Off-season.....what off-season, I play year round.

I'm into martial arts as well (taekwondo to be specific). I find it helps my balance, foot speed, endurance, hand eye coordination and core strength. However, I'm not there to train for hockey, it's just a by product of the training.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 01:31 PM
HowToHockey

I did an article about this on my site, sports that help build hockey skills

some people said just play hockey all the time, but a lot of pro's say it is best to play a bunch of sports to become a better overall athlete

I think Lacrosse is the best, soccer would also be a good one, it will really build your stamina, and cardio. In soccer and lacrosse, you have to keep on running, makes you realize how much you push, push, glide in hockey

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 09:38 AM
frito

Playing multiple sports is a great idea. First, it helps prevent burnout. Second it helps develop other skills, many of which translate well to hockey.

Soccer: This is good as it helps build stamina. It also helps you develop quick feet, speed and balance. I actually bring a soccer ball to my kids' practice every now then as an end of practice game.

Lacrosse: This also is good at building stamina. It will also work on balance, quick transitions and eye/hand coordination.

Baseball: Yes, I did say baseball. While it won't do much along the lines of cardio, it will help with eye/hand coordination. Think about trying to hit that nuckle ball. now comapre that to redirecting a point shot in front of the net.

Basketball: While I personally loathe basketball, it will help with your cardio. It will also help with rapid changes of direction and balance. Improving your vertical leap will also translate to power in your skating stride.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 12:44 AM
densetsu

Like noob said, cross-training sports for hockey would be sports that *aren't* like hockey and don't necessarily improve hockey skills -- but make you a better overall athlete. Since hockey in mostly anaerobic, look at endurance sports, like soccer, road biking, swimming, cross-country skiing, rowing, etc.

Were you looking for complimentary sports instead? Racquet sports like tennis, racquetball, and squash involve lots of sprints and improve hand-eye co-ordination. Martial arts improve awareness as well as hand-eye and foot-eye coordination.

Lacrosse is one I haven't thought of before... it's almost like a cousin of hockey.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Personally I play football, basketball and swim...But that's because I enjoy playing those sports.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Lososaurus

Inline hockey.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote