HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is TO interested in Cogliano

Old
04-11-2010, 02:59 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Is TO interested in Cogliano

Through out the 2nd half of the season I have heard of many different times that TO is interested in Cogliano from Edmonton. He is a young player that is playing better since the Olympics. Has anyone in TO heard about this?

If so what would you guys give up for him?

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:00 PM
mikeo1

I doubt anything substantial would be given. If Burke wants to dump Grabovski, I guess he might offer that up.

Don't see Burke having much of an interest in a small, underperforming centre.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:00 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 1

Where have you heard this?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:03 PM
daveleaf

I think there was some talk last night during the second intermission of the Vancouver game. Something on the line if you offered him 900,000 on a offer sheet then no draft pics would change hands and maybe Edm might not match considering they have cap problems. I doubt this will happen since BB hated having it done to him and made a stink about it. Some of the panel guys talked about but just in passing, nothing really concrete about Cogliano.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Dutch Dreams

I hope not. He's an intrigue when talking about a possible replacement to Grabovski, but the guy lacks heart/intensity, and he is knocked off the puck WAY too easily.

If Grabovski is moved then he may be an option but he'd really have to step it up. He hasn't outperformed his entry-level so an offer would be practical if not 'ethical'..

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:13 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Through out the 2nd half of the season I have heard of many different times that TO is interested in Cogliano from Edmonton. He is a young player that is playing better since the Olympics. Has anyone in TO heard about this?

Nothing.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
I think there was some talk last night during the second intermission of the Vancouver game. Something on the line if you offered him 900,000 on a offer sheet then no draft pics would change hands and maybe Edm might not match considering they have cap problems. I doubt this will happen since BB hated having it done to him and made a stink about it. Some of the panel guys talked about but just in passing, nothing really concrete about Cogliano.
I think Edmonton would match a 900,000 offer sheet regardless. If they are having cap problems, they would be wanting to keep the cheap guys and trading off the bloated contracts. Even if they didn't want Cogliano for 900,000, they could probably match and trade him pretty easily for a 5th or something for the sake of getting something. If Burke wants to go for Cogliano where Edmonton wouldn't match, it'd probably take something in the $2,000,000 range.

I also just checked, even at 900,000, the Leafs would owe Edmonton a 3rd if they chose to give Cogliano an offer sheet.

I dislike offer sheets myself but if we're gonna go the offersheet route, the best bet is to go for Stamkos next year....holy moly is Tampa ever going to be in a lot of trouble if they can't trade Vinny by then.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:17 PM
mlugia
That other guy

You can't trade that guy if you just matched his offer sheet, afaik. I think you have to wait a year or something.

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:29 PM
daveleaf

[QUOTE=Irish_Leaf;25081815]I think Edmonton would match a 900,000 offer sheet regardless. If they are having cap problems, they would be wanting to keep the cheap guys and trading off the bloated contracts. Even if they didn't want Cogliano for 900,000, they could probably match and trade him pretty easily for a 5th or something for the sake of getting something. If Burke wants to go for Cogliano where Edmonton wouldn't match, it'd probably take something in the $2,000,000 range.

I also just checked, even at 900,000, the Leafs would owe Edmonton a 3rd if they chose to give Cogliano an offer sheet.

I think that was Healey last night that said that or one of the old goalies in the second int of the second game. Not that TO was interested but as an option for filling air time. He said if it was for 900K or less then no draft pics would exchange hands. i don't know, I never checked. I'm just repeating what I heard on tv. I think they were trying to figure out ways creatively to circumvent the salary cap.

Old
04-11-2010, 03:35 PM
The Blue Devil

I doubt that BB has interest in this guy. I mean we already have one top 6 center in Bozak and we have Kadri coming up who is another guy that will be in our top 6. The only way that BB will make a move for another center is if he is going to be #1 or bottom 6.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:39 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Leaf View Post
I think Edmonton would match a 900,000 offer sheet regardless. If they are having cap problems, they would be wanting to keep the cheap guys and trading off the bloated contracts. Even if they didn't want Cogliano for 900,000, they could probably match and trade him pretty easily for a 5th or something for the sake of getting something. If Burke wants to go for Cogliano where Edmonton wouldn't match, it'd probably take something in the $2,000,000 range.

I dislike offer sheets myself but if we're gonna go the offersheet route, the best bet is to go for Stamkos next year....holy moly is Tampa ever going to be in a lot of trouble if they can't trade Vinny by then.
You need all the required picks to give an offer sheet, since we do not have a first next year we cannot make an offer for anyone in Stamkos's league.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:40 PM
AlMo

Please, No Cogliano!

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:42 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
You need all the required picks to give an offer sheet, since we do not have a first next year we cannot make an offer for anyone in Stamkos's league.
A Stamkos offer sheet will be using draft picks from 2012 and onwards. We have the picks, but Stamkos isn't going to make it to RFA status. He'll be resigned long before then.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:48 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
A Stamkos offer sheet will be using draft picks from 2012 and onwards. We have the picks, but Stamkos isn't going to make it to RFA status. He'll be resigned long before then.
I wish, I only wish. The guy was great in junior and after a rough ride his first year has turned into another Brett Hull. They will resign him and St.Louis. Vinny will get traded.

Old
04-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
yup, it wouldn't be the 2011 picks, it would be 2012. The reason I brought up stamkos as a possibility is that Tampa will be in serious cap hell by next summer trying to resign him, followed up by the year after re-signing Hedman. Stamkos is going to likely want 7mil+ and he'll get it too from somewhere. It comes down to whether Tampa try and low ball him for a shorter slightly cheaper contract or get rid of Vinny so they can resign him to the full amount long term.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Dutch Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Leaf View Post
yup, it wouldn't be the 2011 picks, it would be 2012. The reason I brought up stamkos as a possibility is that Tampa will be in serious cap hell by next summer trying to resign him, followed up by the year after re-signing Hedman. Stamkos is going to likely want 7mil+ and he'll get it too from somewhere. It comes down to whether Tampa try and low ball him for a shorter slightly cheaper contract or get rid of Vinny so they can resign him to the full amount long term.
Hopefully Stamkos moves to a real hockey city. It'd be great. Anyways, I don't think Tampa will be in as bad of a position as people think, of course; if they can afford full-cap by then... be interesting to see what happens to the guy...

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:12 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post

Easily give up Finger for him.

One of:

Dale Mitchell
Vorobiev's rights.
Grabovski
Boyce
Kaberle

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:31 PM
TheProspector

What the hell happened to this guy?

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:34 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
What the hell happened to this guy?
Mueller seemed to like his move to Colorado before he was injured.

Situational changes might make the difference.

Maybe he's Tanking for Toronto?

Same with Hodgson's wonkie, timely, back problem?

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:39 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I think I would rather keep Grabo, rather than give up a 3rd for ACogs.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:51 PM
richardn

Cogliano is a 22 year old RFA coming off two sub par seasons and on a team that is deep with young forwards waiting to take his spot. I would be interested in giving him a try here I would also be interested in Patrick O'Sullivan as a recolmation project.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

vCash: 50
Would be in our top 2 C's

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

I'd pass on any Grabo for Cogs trade. I'd rather have Grabo packaged in something like this:

Tomas Kaberle + Mikhail Grabovski

for

Brad Richards + Matt Niskanen + conditional pick (all depends on if Richards resigns as UFA, no pick if he resigns in 2011)

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeafs View Post
I'd pass on any Grabo for Cogs trade. I'd rather have Grabo packaged in something like this:

Tomas Kaberle + Mikhail Grabovski

for

Brad Richards + Matt Niskanen + conditional pick (all depends on if Richards resigns as UFA, no pick if he resigns in 2011)
Dallas won't do this trade

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
Dallas won't do this trade
what should we add then? cuz I really want Richards on the Leafs >.<
do you think they would consider this if it was Ribeiro instead?

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote