HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs as spoilers

Old
04-11-2010, 01:20 AM
mcleex

vCash: 500
Leafs as spoilers

Okay I have a question ..
why didn't Ron Wilson pull the goalie tonight when there was about
2 minutes left in the game
The game was tied 3-3, it doesn't matter if Montreal scored on them as the Leafs season was done
but had Toronto scored and won in regulation Montreal may have been eliminated

They don't even know how to play spoilers properly

How intense would it have been for the Leafs to pull Giguere with 2 minutes left and see the Habs hemmed in their zone

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:24 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

something about the integrity of the game!

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
This move is overrated.

If we pulled the goalie in the last 2 minutes of a tie game that imples we do not care about losing.

So by that logic, why not push a defense man forward? Beauchemin practically plays as a forward anyway.

I think this team learned a very valuable lesson in terms of how to win a game, now next year they need to take this into the new season, improve upon it, and win games in regulation.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:36 AM
frito10

While we all wanted to see the Habs get knocked off, that would've been a completely classless move IMO... Good on Wilson and the coaches to maintain respect for the game.

Besides, would we have done that if the Rangers game earlier in the week was closer? I doubt it, so why should tonight be any different. Each game needs to be approached in the same manner.

How deflating would it have been for our guys if we had pulled Jiggy and they scored on the empty net? We put in a great game and deserved the win; to jeopardize that simply to try and screw over another team shows no respect not only towards the other team, but also towards our guys who worked their butts off for that win.

frito10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Daisy Joy
Leafs Optimist :)

I am more happy at the fact that the Leafs managed to

A: win the game. [Who cares if it was meaningless to Montreal]
B: play really well.
C: showed class by not pulling the goalie,

than,

D: pulling the goalie, who was playing freaking fantastic, by the way, the goalie who was playing at "home" for the first time for a while anyway, to what? potentially getting the win in regulation?

What if the Leafs HAD done it, and they lost? Would you have been all "Well, we wanted to go for the "let's screw Habs result" and oh well?" or would you be crucify Wilson for pulling the goalie with a tie?

Honestly, sometimes

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Paris in Flames

There's absolutely nothing to gain by doing that and it just comes off as a stupid move that screams 'hey, if we're going down, we're taking you with us' garbage.

Would just come off as Wilson caring more about their team than his. His team played well and deserved a chance to win. It just sends the wrong message to his team and to...everybody.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:48 AM
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito10 View Post
While we all wanted to see the Habs get knocked off, that would've been a completely classless move IMO... Good on Wilson and the coaches to maintain respect for the game.

Besides, would we have done that if the Rangers game earlier in the week was closer? I doubt it, so why should tonight be any different. Each game needs to be approached in the same manner.

How deflating would it have been for our guys if we had pulled Jiggy and they scored on the empty net? We put in a great game and deserved the win; to jeopardize that simply to try and screw over another team shows no respect not only towards the other team, but also towards our guys who worked their butts off for that win.
You seriously think the Leafs played the better game???

Deserved the win?

It wasn't one sided, but the Leafs outplayed Montreal?

blah blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:00 AM
Un33q

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post

than,

D: pulling the goalie, who was playing freaking fantastic, by the way, the goalie who was playing at "home" for the first time for a while anyway, to what? potentially getting the win in regulation?

What if the Leafs HAD done it, and they lost? Would you have been all "Well, we wanted to go for the "let's screw Habs result" and oh well?" or would you be crucify Wilson for pulling the goalie with a tie?

Honestly, sometimes
couldnt agree more
just sad that we couldnt pull out wins like this during the season.

Un33q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:06 AM
Daisy Joy
Leafs Optimist :)

Un33q: Next season

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:16 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post

than,

Honestly, sometimes

i would have been like well we wanted to go for the screw the habs result and oh well

i dont really care about the win tonight... it was nice to see but it doesnt really give me any satisfaction after a long awful season

that being said i know why wilson didn't pull him. He would have been crucified in the media and by many involved in hockey. My guess is more than you would expect would have tried to defend him, but its just a risky move.

Besides.... habs will be swept anyhow

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:06 AM
dissociater

It's a dick move.

dissociater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:29 AM
teeks643
GO LETS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissociater View Post
It's a dick move.
couldn't have said it better

teeks643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Psydeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post
Okay I have a question ..
why didn't Ron Wilson pull the goalie tonight when there was about
2 minutes left in the game
The game was tied 3-3, it doesn't matter if Montreal scored on them as the Leafs season was done
but had Toronto scored and won in regulation Montreal may have been eliminated

They don't even know how to play spoilers properly

How intense would it have been for the Leafs to pull Giguere with 2 minutes left and see the Habs hemmed in their zone
Something about class.

Lemme ask you this.

If the Leafs were playing Florida.... or Tampa.... in the last game of the season and were tied in the standings. The game is tied with a minute left and the Leafs have to win in order to get out of 29th place. Would you pull the goalie to get the win so Boston has less chance at the first two picks in the draft? YOU probably would.... but Wilson wouldn't because as much as everybody likes to think so.... nobody on the Leafs cares about anything but defeating their opponents.

I read a post somewhere recently.... someone was commenting on how the Leafs couldn't catch the Hurricanes, Islanders, Panthers, or Lightning to get out of 29th. Their rationale was: why aren't those teams tanking so that they can get a lower pick? The answer to that is the same as YOUR scenario and the one i've created above. You don't treat any of these "meaningless" games any different than any others during the season. You go for the win the same way you do all year. You don't pull the goalie to win in regulation and play spoiler and you sure as hell don't tell your team to tank for a better pick.

Psydeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:43 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

The only spoiling the leafs did was giving us anything but the worst season in decades with no picks. They spoiled my season as a leafs fan.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:52 AM
ansah

who would want to lose the last game of the season on an empty netter when you have chance to win it? and what's our 6 on 5 record?

ansah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:31 AM
mcleex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissociater View Post
It's a dick move.
So was (2 .. 3 years ago?) when New Jersey didn't play Brodeur and the Islanders got into 8th place and not Toronto

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Not to mention, we suck with the man advantage and they'd probably score on the open net and all of JSG's hard work would go down the drain.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:05 PM
dacoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post
So was (2 .. 3 years ago?) when New Jersey didn't play Brodeur and the Islanders got into 8th place and not Toronto
I'm sure it had more to do with giving Brodeur a rest prior to the playoffs as they over play him during the regular season. It's not NJ's job to get Toronto in/or out of the playoffs. The Leafs had their chance by not beating the Islanders that same week.

dacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Delayed Offside

it's a bad move and if it doesn't work, you really looks like a idiot...

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Ron Wilson said that was classless of us to do so.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:12 PM
VL

I must concur with the others who have stated that it would have been a rather disrespectful move to pull Giguere. By all means, feel free to innovate and show some creativity (maybe throw four forwards and a single defenceman out there) but show at least some respect to your opponents, your own players, and the integrity of the game.

I missed a fair bit of the game last night but from what I did see, Giguere was playing very well. He certainly didn't deserve to be pulled for a rather meaningless attempt at a regulation win with the score already tied, especially in Montreal in front of his friends and family.

VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:48 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
what I like about Wilson is his respect for the game. It was just a move that would have hurt the integrity of the game.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:55 PM
mooseOAK*

The extra point the Leafs took made the Canadiens play the Capitals so they won't be around long.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:19 PM
APV

i would rather set the canadiens up for diasaster against the capitals then lose our last game of the season because of an empty net goal when it was tied.

APV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:21 PM
rhodes82

it would have been a classless move by the coach

and giggy wouldnt have liked it either had the habs scored on the empty netter

besides habs playoff tour is going to be short-lived as they most likely face 4-0 or 5-1 defeat facing the caps in the first round

rhodes82 is offline   Reply With Quote