HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out Of Town Thread part X (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2010, 09:16 PM
TankEller*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by erixon View Post
Oil fan here. Do you guys recall Souray trashing management in Montreal at any time? I recall there was a little bit if I am correct... I don't know why he spoke out now... in most Oiler fans minds he was probably gone by next year anyways. Stupid move on his part, it lessens the chance he'll be dealt, or how easy the deal will come in my opinion.
Mr. Souray felt all outraged that we decided to make Markov the #1 priority over him that summer of 2007 after he signed with the Oilers.

Who's laughing now, Sheldon? This guy should let Markov take half of his salary.

Old
04-13-2010, 09:19 PM
NewHabsEra*

Oh Oh..

Bruins going to draft second at the next draft, highly probably gonna draft either Hall or Segin.. Poor Leafs, unbelievable how this franchise shot itself in the foot through the time.. Both Segin and Hall are going to become franchise players in the NHL while Kessel is only a marginal star in this league..

Im effraid of what the Bruins will look like in the future..

Old
04-13-2010, 09:27 PM
RE-HABS

I will be blown away if the Oilers don't take Hall.

Hall and Eberle have past chemistry from the WJC, and the Oilers have the Swede too in Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson. Their offensive future looks bright, not to mention the likes of recently signed highlight reel Linus Omark.

It sucks to see the Bruins probably get Tyler Seguin to go with their deep talent pool on their current roster and prospective depth too. Joe Colborne, Zach Hamill, Jordan Caron and others, not to mention 2 more 1st rounders next year and their other 1st rounder this year.

As much as I hate to see the Bruins get Seguin or Hall, it makes me feel good to know the Leafs aren't!

Old
04-13-2010, 09:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

We should give them timmins for the next 2 drafts.

Old
04-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Mr. Souray felt all outraged that we decided to make Markov the #1 priority over him that summer of 2007 after he signed with the Oilers.

Who's laughing now, Sheldon? This guy should let Markov take half of his salary.
That's not true. When the season ended, Souray himself stated that locking up Markov should be the Habs #1 priority.

Old
04-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
That's not true. When the season ended, Souray himself stated that locking up Markov should be the Habs #1 priority.
Yeah, I recall him saying this too. I don't remember there being any ill will between the Habs and Souray. We stuck with him through his injuries and breakout season.

Old
04-13-2010, 10:01 PM
sheed36

Just curious? Would any of you trade Kessel right now for the 2nd overall pick this year straight up? Personally I wouldn't and to think Burke also gave up a high 2nd rounder this year and a 1st next year...

I think if Burke knew his team would be picking where they are right now I highly doubt he would have pulled off that Kessel deal regardless of what he says publicly.. I think he truly believed his team would have been much better than they were this past season..

On the one hand is nice to see the Leafs not having that #2 pick but it sucks that the Bruins have it...

Old
04-13-2010, 10:02 PM
davepeak
R.I.P. Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Edmonton will be getting an impact player this year that'll help them a lot within three years. I think the Oilers will probably suck again next year, but in two to three years, their young talent will start to really turn that team around.

Barring a massive free agent splash for either or both teams, I don't feel very good about the Maple Leafs or the Thrashers turning it around anytime soon. It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see them still sucking three years for now.

The Leafs won't be getting the usual benefits from sucking (i.e. a high draft pick), so it's hard to see how they can turn it around with out making a big free agent splash.

Atlanta does have a great young defenseman in Bognosian, and some good young players, but I just don't see them putting it altogether for awhile. Especially with Waddell managing that team.

While he's the last guy that has any business calling for a GM's head, I have to agree with Mike Milbury saying that Waddell should be fired.
I think that depending on what they do this summer, Edmonton may be a surprise next year (not a big surprise, but maybe a playoff qualifying team).

Atlanta, without Kovalchuk, will probably gamble on the UFA market, even if it isn't the best ths year. They'll have some cap space (compared to TO), no? With the young players blooming, the Thrashers could be a good team next year (again, not a big surprise, but a top 8 team). This year, they failed by a small margin.

I'm happy that the Leafs gave away 2 first rounders, but wow! I have to admit that I'm scared of the Bruins!

Old
04-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Just curious? Would any of you trade Kessel right now for the 2nd overall pick this year straight up? Personally I wouldn't and to think Burke also gave up a high 2nd rounder this year and a 1st next year...

I think if Burke knew his team would be picking where they are right now I highly doubt he would have pulled off that Kessel deal regardless of what he says publicly.. I think he truly believed his team would have been much better than they were this past season..

On the one hand is nice to see the Leafs not having that #2 pick but it sucks that the Bruins have it...
For me, it was not about Kessel vs Seguin or Hall. It was more about keeping that 2nd round pick and signing a guy like Cammalleri, Hossa, Gaborik or Havlat and still have that 1st round pick. It's hard to compare Kessel vs the top 1 or 2 pick even if you know TOR's pick will be for sure #1 or #2 last year. Afterall, one is a completely unproven commodity while Kessel is still a relatively safefire 30goal sniper.

What tips it is when you examine the alternative of getting a UFA and still keeping those picks. Imagine if they threw money at a Gaborik and picked Seguin as well.

I don't know if they approached those high profile free agents. I'd imagine Burke definitely did some level of discussions with them but the possibility of having one of those guys plus the pick is what makes the deal brutal for me.

Old
04-13-2010, 10:21 PM
davepeak
R.I.P. Jean

Quote:

When doing a trade, you have to check short, middle and long-term impact.

Even if I hate most Bruins/Leafs players, Kessel is good. But he was injured for a couple weeks at the start of the season, so the short-term (this year) impact wasn't enough, even with his great stats for the rest of the season. Still, short-term advantage goes to TO, since round choices didn't play this year.

This summer, Boston gets 2 good draft choices. Burke probably expected to have a better position in standings to avoid giving away potential future superstars. If Toronto was to draft 10th, the middle-term impact (next year) of the trade wouldn't be that much, since the drafted player could need some minor league development. That is where I think Toronto lost the trade, since Boston will probably get a NHL-ready player. Boston will probably get the middle-term advantage. Even if Boston would like to trade that 2nd overall choice (which would be dumb, IMO), they would get a great player for next year.

Long-term goes easily to Boston, with a 2nd overall choice, a 32nd in a good draft year and a 1st-rounder in 2011. Again, I love Kessel as much as I can for a Bruins/Leafs player, but the future looks bright for the Bruins compared to Toronto. The Leafs have some good young players, but they could have been a force in 2-3 years with their draft choices. Burke gambled that with Kessel they would be a force right now.

That was my opinion, for all it is worth!

Old
04-14-2010, 02:07 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperwebman View Post
When doing a trade, you have to check short, middle and long-term impact.

Even if I hate most Bruins/Leafs players, Kessel is good. But he was injured for a couple weeks at the start of the season, so the short-term (this year) impact wasn't enough, even with his great stats for the rest of the season. Still, short-term advantage goes to TO, since round choices didn't play this year.

This summer, Boston gets 2 good draft choices. Burke probably expected to have a better position in standings to avoid giving away potential future superstars. If Toronto was to draft 10th, the middle-term impact (next year) of the trade wouldn't be that much, since the drafted player could need some minor league development. That is where I think Toronto lost the trade, since Boston will probably get a NHL-ready player. Boston will probably get the middle-term advantage. Even if Boston would like to trade that 2nd overall choice (which would be dumb, IMO), they would get a great player for next year.

Long-term goes easily to Boston, with a 2nd overall choice, a 32nd in a good draft year and a 1st-rounder in 2011. Again, I love Kessel as much as I can for a Bruins/Leafs player, but the future looks bright for the Bruins compared to Toronto. The Leafs have some good young players, but they could have been a force in 2-3 years with their draft choices. Burke gambled that with Kessel they would be a force right now.

That was my opinion, for all it is worth!
FWIW, I totally agree with your assessment. Burke didn't expect to end up in a lottery position with the pieces he assembled, and that's where this trade turned into a "loss", for the reasons you outlined above. Good post.

Old
04-14-2010, 02:27 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Actually you need to expand that

Remember the Blackhawks had the Leafs 2nd this year so Burke traded us the Flames 2nd in 2011 and the Leafs 3rd in 2011 for it

So in reality the Leafs gave up the #2 pick , 2010 2nd rounder , 2011 1st , Flames 2011 2nd and there 3rd in 2011 to get Kessel

Old
04-14-2010, 02:45 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Actually you need to expand that

Remember the Blackhawks had the Leafs 2nd this year so Burke traded us the Flames 2nd in 2011 and the Leafs 3rd in 2011 for it

So in reality the Leafs gave up the #2 pick , 2010 2nd rounder , 2011 1st , Flames 2011 2nd and there 3rd in 2011 to get Kessel

Take this out since you've included the Flames 2011 2nd and Leafs 3rd 2011.

Still, it blew up in his face.

Old
04-14-2010, 03:22 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Take this out since you've included the Flames 2011 2nd and Leafs 3rd 2011.

Still, it blew up in his face.
Not really

He gave up 2 picks to acquire that pick and then gave that away

So it was still a net loss on all 3 picks

Old
04-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

i love that the leafs got royally plowed on that trade

but unfortunately the other team i hate (probably more) will get a franchise player out of it.

hopefully whoever the pick will pull a Thornton and they can trade him.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:18 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

LOL you couldn't have gotten the situation more wrong if you had tried. Nice one.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:55 AM
felixd

Big Thrashers News: Move Don Waddell to President, name Rick Dudley GM, fire entire coaching staff:

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...n-coaches-out/

Old
04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Big Thrashers News: Move Don Waddell to President, name Rick Dudley GM, fire entire coaching staff:

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...n-coaches-out/
Completely expected.

That franchise, since the start, has gone absolutely nowhere. They've had some decent seasons where it seemed they would do something, and then would run out of gas. Plus, losing your core player in Kovalchuk didn't help either.

Now they'll have to rebuild slowly, through draft and their farm system and hopefully within the next 5 years we can see something happen.

Old
04-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Just curious? Would any of you trade Kessel right now for the 2nd overall pick this year straight up?
No.

While Kessel might be a better pure goalscorer than Hall or Seguin for a few more years, Hall and Seguin are already more complete players than him.

When you factor in the other two draft picks the Bruins got out of the deal, it's turned out to be an awesome trade for them.

Old
04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Yeah, I recall him saying this too. I don't remember there being any ill will between the Habs and Souray. We stuck with him through his injuries and breakout season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
LOL you couldn't have gotten the situation more wrong if you had tried. Nice one.
lol WHAT?!

Souray had an identical offer to Hammer, even after Roman signed with the Canadiens. He still took the Oilers offer, and he said how he felt like he wasn't a priority in Montreal and was disappointed about it.

Stop jacking off thinking about the past, the more he talks, the more it confirms how Kovalev maybe wasn't such the biggest cancer in this locker room a couple of years back...

Quote:
“I always thought the Canadiens would make it a priority to sign me, and I was hoping and thinking that they’d make a real attempt to keep me. But for whatever reason, they decided that wasn’t the case until it became way too late.” – Sheldon Souray

“There are no bitter feelings toward anyone. None. I don’t leave Montreal with one shred of remorse for having played there.

“But,” he admitted, “I didn’t think it was going to play out like it did. It was disappointing how things finally went down.”
http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/08..._of_sheldon_s/

Mr. Souray didn't feel like he was a priority, even after Gainey offered him a great contract, as good as what he got with the Oilers.

Oh, and sorry, but what he did to Edmonton... it's disgusting.

Old
04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Forsead

Martin St-Louis could ask for a trade this summer.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...-trade/1087242

Go get another smurf

Old
04-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Pascal

Trading Kessel for the 2nd pick would be a no-brainer. In the salary cap you need young cheap guys who can produce. I'm willing to bet Hall and/or Seguin will be 50-70 pt players next year, at the rookie max. Kessel will cost 5-6M.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Anyone else think the Bruins are going to get a cup soon? They have a franchise goalie, a franchise defenseman and will get a franchise forward this year on top of the forward and prospect depth they already have. That team would have to be horribly mismanaged not to win.

Quote:

He said it himself that Markov should be Gainey's priority.

http://www2.canada.com/topics/sports...4244762&k=7845

I remember him talking about it, not just this quote. Souray never laughed by the way, he's had great things to say about Montreal and was an outstanding teammate and player here. Kids with keyboards .

Last edited by Little Nilan: 04-14-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old
04-14-2010, 07:34 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Anyone else think the Bruins are going to get a cup soon? They have a franchise goalie, a franchise defenseman and will get a franchise forward this year on top of the forward and prospect depth they already have. That team would have to be horribly mismanaged not to win.

He said it himself that Markov should be Gainey's priority.

http://www2.canada.com/topics/sports...4244762&k=7845

I remember him talking about it, not just this quote. Souray never laughed by the way, he's had great things to say about Montreal and was an outstanding teammate and player here. Kids with a keyboard .
The quotes I took from HabsInsideOut, I guess, mean absolutely nothing?

He was bitter with the organization, saying he didn't feel like he was a priority and he didn't like the way the negociations went. This is a fact. He acted like a prima-donna, and this story with the Oilers definately ain't the first involving Souray playing this game.

Souray had serious problems with the Russians back in 2006-2007, this was a well-known fact. Now, in Edmonton, the guy says the organization and the management doesn't treat him well enough for his liking... See a pattern there?

Stick to calling CKAC, you arrogant. Or stick to the other website, it fits you well and the other cocky clowns.

Quote:
“I always thought the Canadiens would make it a priority to sign me, and I was hoping and thinking that they’d make a real attempt to keep me. But for whatever reason, they decided that wasn’t the case until it became way too late.” – Sheldon Souray

“There are no bitter feelings toward anyone. None. I don’t leave Montreal with one shred of remorse for having played there.

“But,” he admitted, “I didn’t think it was going to play out like it did. It was disappointing how things finally went down.”
http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/08..._of_sheldon_s/

Apparently a 5,5M offer 1 day into free agency was "WAY TOO LATE!!!" for Souray... even if he only signed on July 12th back then.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Souvenirs

Chris Neil scored to put Ottawa ahead of Pittsburgh 2-1 in the first period.

Pens.

Closed Thread