HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) Los Angeles Kings | Kings Forum Series Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Shellz

vCash: 500
I want playoff hockey nowwwwwwwwww.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:08 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Dreger and McKenzie on the series:

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip288276#clip288276

More food for thought. Series info:

Props to Winsomemore for digging up most of this info. Some interesting things to ponder.

Thursday Oct. 29, 2009
Vancouver @ LA
Canucks 2 - Kings 1 SO
Game 2 of a back-to-back for the Kings. Canucks had the prior day off.
Quick/Raycroft

Kings scratches/IR:
Williams, Jones, Lewis

Canucks scratches/IR:
Wellwood, Hordichuk, O'Brien, Luongo, Daniel Sedin, Ryan Johnson, Sami Salo, Rick Rypien, Jannik Hansen.

Thursday Nov. 26, 2009
LA @ Vancouver
Canucks 4 - Kings 1
Game 2 of a back-to-back for the Kings. Canucks had the prior 3 days off.
Daniel Sedin's second game back from an 18 game absence, both teams went into the game on relative slides.
Brayden Schenn played his first NHL game.
Quick/Luongo

Kings scratches/IR:
Smyth, Scuderi, Stoll

Canucks scratches/IR:
Demitra, Rome, Rypien, O'Brien

Monday Dec. 14, 2009
LA @ Vancouver
Canucks 3 - Kings 1
Both teams had the prior day off.
Quick/Luongo

Kings scratches/IR:
Smyth, Simmonds, Drewiske

Canucks scratches/IR:
Demitra, Edler, Hordichuk, Rome

Thursday April 1, 2010
Vancouver @ LA
Kings 8 - Canucks 3
Both teams had the prior day off.
Bernier/Luongo

Kings scratches/IR:
Ersberg, Harrold, Ivanans, Drewiske, Clune

Canucks scratches/IR:
D. Sedin, Samuelsson, S. Bernier, Mitchell, Baumgartner, O'Brien

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-13-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added some missing players for completeness
Old
04-12-2010, 11:45 PM
backhander

Thanks for the link Tony. Apparently, the Kings need to target one or more Vancouver defensemen and get them off the roster somehow. Thanks Bob and Darren. Are you listening Terry?!!???

And I didn't realize or remember that the Kings had the two back to back games. I like the info.

Old
04-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Orenji

Expect Brown to throw his body around in Game 1.

Old
04-13-2010, 12:36 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Expect Brown to throw his body around in Game 1.
Yeah. The last year or so he's really phased the wrecking-ball Pronger-pwning hits out of his game (probably for the best)...but I'd expect him to ratchet things up again to some extent in the hopes of rattling Vancouver's skilled forwards, especially given that the team will be opening in hostile territory.

Old
04-13-2010, 12:49 AM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Referees for the playoffs:

Paul Devorski, Eirc Furlatt, Marc Joannette, Steve Kozari, Dennis Larue, Chris Lee, Mike Leggo, Wes McCauley, Bill McCreary, Brad Meier, Dan O'Halloran, Dan O'Rourke, Tim Peel, Brian Pochmara, Kevin Pollock, Chris Rooney, Kelly Sutherland, Stephen Walkom, Ian Walsh and Brad Watson.

No Stephane Auger for the Vancouver series? SHOCKING. Just... SHOCKING. (Back story: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ane-Auger.html)

Old
04-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Ah man, not Joannoette.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:17 AM
xtr3m

vCash: 50
Auger only reffed about five playoff games in his career, anyway. There a reason for that.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Auger only reffed about five playoff games in his career, anyway. There a reason for that.
oooh, do tell!

Old
04-13-2010, 01:31 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
oooh, do tell!
he sucks

Old
04-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Well absolutely. Just wondered if there were incidents in those few games.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:58 AM
KoopsKings

Needed: Assurance there will be no sweep

Like most of you kings fans I as well have predicted a kings in 7 series. But i really hope there is no meltdown causing a sweep from the playoffs.

The main reason is that i have aligned work, a place to stay and the weekend off to fly to vancouver and catch game 5. All in all its about 700 in airplane fees, but my buddy im meeting and staying with will buy the ticket for me to go.

Do you guys think I should book it right away? or wait to see how the series goes.... 650-700 round trip after taxes from hamilton to VanCity is pretty good price, might rise as it gets closer to the date. But i dont want to drop all that money and not have a game.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:59 AM
eleventy

In all honesty, how in the WORLD can we assure this won't be a sweep.

edit: this goes both ways.

Old
04-13-2010, 03:01 AM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
By even contemplating this trip, you have ensured a sweep. Thanks a lot dude.

Old
04-13-2010, 03:02 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

if we get swept you better be ready for a wave of blame

Old
04-13-2010, 03:19 AM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
By even contemplating this trip, you have ensured a sweep. Thanks a lot dude.
Yeah, I was hoping it'd take us at least 5-6 games to beat Vancouver so we didn't have an extended break before the second round. Thanks a lot dude.

Old
04-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Dude, just relax and enjoy the playoffs.
It's going to be fun.

Old
04-13-2010, 03:34 AM
KoopsKings

If the Canucks sweep: I will leave Hf Boards, and hang myself
If the kings sweep: I will go to vancouver, and reek havoc on all their women while wearing my kings jersey. And yes i will tell them to scream "Drew"

Old
04-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Ralph
Stevehead.

Some excellent keys from the Velvet Merkin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Merkin
Well...we're here. It only took a decade but the boys did the unexpected and made the postseason.

Now the highs and lows of the season are erased and the second season begins. A season where every goal is huge and every mistake is magnified. A season where heroes are made and determination trumps talent.
We're finally here....

Punch them in the mouth(Literally and figuratively) and take away Home Ice Advantage. Come out all guns blazing and make April 1st look like we went easy on them. These third period comebacks are all good, but.... The Kings are playing with fire. Dominate the first period. Set the tone.

The Velvet Merkin is telling you, The Canucks are going to underestimate the Kings. This is a team that has their sites set on later rounds. The Canucks are a four seed that only finished two points ahead of the Kings. Vancouver has all the pressure.
Head in to GM place on Thursday and take Game 1.

p.s. The last time the Canucks and Kings met in the playoffs was 1993. The Kings beat Vancouver in the second round to advance to the WCF vs. Toronto.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veterans

The Velvet Merkin is expecting the world from Stoll, Smyth, O'Donnell, Williams, Halpern, Modin, Scuderi, Jones, Greene, and Handzus.

Y'all have been here before and need to lead by example. Smyth, Greene and Stoll know how hard it can get to get back to the playoffs after coming so close. Modin, Williams, Scuderi, and Odie have lifted the cup, and Halpern, Handzus and Jones have all been there.

Goal tending

Luckily for the Kings, both teams goal tending has been shaky heading in to the postseason. The Velvet Merkin is asking Mrs. Quick to push the reset button on Jonathon's belly button.
The Velvet Merkin is also pleading with Quick to stay in net and realize that He is not Brodeur and plays the puck worse than a nine year old trying to play twinkle twinkle little stars on a flute.

Downtown Dustin Brown

Any one else think it was prophetic that Dustin offense exploded and that He's been hot since the Kings last played the Canucks?

The Velvet Merkin realizes that Dustin has his doubters, but let's get a few things straight.

DB is the third highest scoring player on this team.
Dustin is capable of changing games with single hits.
Dustin is coming in to the playoffs with eight points in his last five games.

The Velvet Merkin is asking Dustin to find his inner Emeril Lagasse and kick it up a notch.

Know your enemy.

The obvious candidates are one of the Sedins or Luongo, but the Velvet Merkin thinks one of their keys is Ryan Kesler.
Kings fans saw what He can do during the Olympics.
Kesler will be assigned to Kopitar. If you aren't familiar with Kesler, He is a younger, faster, grittier, and more offensively gifted version of Handzus.

Anze remember all of the pressure to work out, bulk up, and come in to this season in the best shape of your life?

The Velvet Merkin's dark horse: Jack Johnson. Jack is hated in Vancouver and thrives in the "He Hate Me" role. Make it happen Jack!

When it comes to the keys of the playoffs, The Velvet Merkin's got you covered!

Old
04-13-2010, 04:29 AM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Referees for the playoffs:

Paul Devorski, Eirc Furlatt, Marc Joannette, Steve Kozari, Dennis Larue, Chris Lee, Mike Leggo, Wes McCauley, Bill McCreary, Brad Meier, Dan O'Halloran, Dan O'Rourke, Tim Peel, Brian Pochmara, Kevin Pollock, Chris Rooney, Kelly Sutherland, Stephen Walkom, Ian Walsh and Brad Watson.

No Stephane Auger for the Vancouver series? SHOCKING. Just... SHOCKING. (Back story: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ane-Auger.html)
If any of the underlined will call our series God us.

Old
04-13-2010, 05:13 AM
NuxFan09

I can't believe how much smack talk there is already (mostly on the part of Canucks fans). The Kings are a dangerous team with many weapons. They're, without a doubt, superior to the Blues team the Canucks faced in last year's first round of the playoffs. Any comparison made between the two is completely off base.

I'm looking forward to this matchup! The Kings are one of the best, if not the best, up and coming teams and can beat you with their skilled forwards (Kopitar, Brown, Frolov, Smyth, Williams) or their stellar defence, led by spectacular sophomore Drew Doughty, along with JMFJ, and solid vets, Rob Scuderi and Sean O'Donnell.

That said, the Canucks have weapons of their own. Our captain and goaltender, Roberto Luongo, may be struggling as of late but he captured a gold medal at the Olympics in front of his home town fans and he always gets up for the playoffs. He was made for post-season hockey, his only blemish being that disheartening 7-5 loss to the Hawks in Game 6 of the 2nd round last year.

Don't forget, the Canucks possess one of the top lines in hockey, anchored by the NHL's scoring leader, Henrik Sedin. This line can eat up the other teams' defence at will, so the Kings' shutdown players will have to be at their very best to keep both the Sedins and Burrows at bay.

Bottom line is: both teams have strengths to boast and weaknesses to be wary of. Hopefully both teams can shore up their weaknesses before the playoffs begin and we can see a close, hard fought series!

Old
04-13-2010, 05:42 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I can't believe how much smack talk there is already (mostly on the part of Canucks fans).
Nothing wrong with that, got into it with some of your fellow fans on the main board...and got warned several times and backed off. It's the playoffs...everyone's gonna be talking ****.

Kings players like Doughty already coming out cocky and confident. Our Head Coach has said we'll come out checking hard.

I like the Kings approach to this series a lot.

Old
04-13-2010, 05:52 AM
Orenji

Kings have nothing to lose. Doughty can talk as big as he likes; if they lose, then everyone can just go, 'Oh, too young. Just like the Penguins were. Just like the Blackhawks were,' and then go buy a big star in free agency.

With the Canucks, they're in their prime spot to go for the Cup.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:57 AM
4ndr3y*

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=317809

BobMcKenzie says Kings in 6.

Old
04-13-2010, 08:13 AM
4ndr3y*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I can't believe how much smack talk there is already (mostly on the part of Canucks fans). The Kings are a dangerous team with many weapons. They're, without a doubt, superior to the Blues team the Canucks faced in last year's first round of the playoffs. Any comparison made between the two is completely off base.

I'm looking forward to this matchup! The Kings are one of the best, if not the best, up and coming teams and can beat you with their skilled forwards (Kopitar, Brown, Frolov, Smyth, Williams) or their stellar defence, led by spectacular sophomore Drew Doughty, along with JMFJ, and solid vets, Rob Scuderi and Sean O'Donnell.

That said, the Canucks have weapons of their own. Our captain and goaltender, Roberto Luongo, may be struggling as of late but he captured a gold medal at the Olympics in front of his home town fans and he always gets up for the playoffs. He was made for post-season hockey, his only blemish being that disheartening 7-5 loss to the Hawks in Game 6 of the 2nd round last year.

Don't forget, the Canucks possess one of the top lines in hockey, anchored by the NHL's scoring leader, Henrik Sedin. This line can eat up the other teams' defence at will, so the Kings' shutdown players will have to be at their very best to keep both the Sedins and Burrows at bay.

Bottom line is: both teams have strengths to boast and weaknesses to be wary of. Hopefully both teams can shore up their weaknesses before the playoffs begin and we can see a close, hard fought series!
Well said.
Still, fans being pumped up is what makes the energy about the Stanley cup playoffs something special. In a series smack-talks, over-hyping own players and degrading others is a part of that charm.

Closed Thread