HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) Los Angeles Kings | Kings Forum Series Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Orenji

vCash: 500
I wonder how much Jack Johnson will love getting booed and jeered by the Canadians for the next two weeks.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:02 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I see no problem here.

Canada is going to tout the Canucks as huge favorites to win the Cup; say LA is one year away from being a true contender; talking how the Sedins are the greatest tandem in the history of the universe.
Believe me, no one else in Canada is rooting for the Canucks or is impressed by them. I would say it's quit the opposite.

Oh and LA fans, don't confuse excitement or hopefulness for arrogance. Canucks fans have nothing to be arrogant about, that's what makes us Canuck fans unique; we always assume the worst. Most of us were terrified all afternoon that Sid was going to get 8 points today!

As for the series, I think you guys have the big edge on D and the Nucks have an edge on offense. This leaves it down to goaltending and I think both goalies are coming in with plenty of question marks.

I predict Nucks in 6 and hopefully Brown doesn't hobble our D beyond repair.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Orenji

Most Canuck fans seem arrogant due to the fact you guys swept St. Louis last year, and you think we are the same exact team as the Blues. That's what is most disheartening about everything.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Habstract

Quote:
Most Canuck fans seem arrogant due to the fact you guys swept St. Louis last year, and you think we are the same exact team as the Blues. That's what is most disheartening about everything.
Only time will tell, Hope it will prove them wrong...

Thursday is so far away!

Old
04-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Speed. Offense. Defense. Size. Goaltending.

My opinion - marginally relevant. The regular season and playoffs have little in common. It's a matter of will and heart. There is too much parity in the NHL between all the teams. Any team who wants it more can beat any other team on any given night. The Kings and Canucks series will be no exception. Show me the team that plays harder and smarter and I will show you the winner of this series.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:10 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
The Blues don't have a Doughty, up front they don't have a guy like Brown who seems like an ideal playoff player. There is not a single Canuck that any King will be affraid of being hit by. Every Canuck will know when 23 is on the ice.

I'd take Smyth over tkachuk any day in the leadership, gritty vet role.

Guys like Handzus, Simmonds, Frolov will be difficult for our D to handle and Kopitar is much better than any of the Blues top end forwards. O'Donnell, Smyth, Stoll, Modin, Williams have all been way deep into the playoffs, more experience there than the Canucks have.

I'm leaning towards betting real cash on the Kings in this series.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:11 AM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
So on the schedule it says games are on Versus, does that mean they are on there exclusively or will FSN do them and Versus will be blacked out?
This is a problem for me as well. I have CI on DirecTV but I don't have Versus. DirecTV has Versus available now but I just don't have the channel purchased.

Can I still see the games on CI or will they be blacked out because of Versus?

If Versus is doing the games does that mean that FSN isn't?

Old
04-12-2010, 12:12 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
I'm not sure why you hold Canuck fans opinions with such high regard, but you really shouldn't. Just enjoy some playoff hockey and don't be worried about what other people think.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:19 AM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarot Sport View Post
Try Andrew Alberts.
My gut feeling tells me I'm not going to like you very much after this series is over.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
I just really hope BOTH goalies show up, honestly. THAT will make it a nice, long, brutal series!

What the heck happened to Mitchell, anyway? He's been out so long (I think?) that I forget! You guys HAVE to miss the longest stick in the NHL

Old
04-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I just really hope BOTH goalies show up, honestly. THAT will make it a nice, long, brutal series!

What the heck happened to Mitchell, anyway? He's been out so long (I think?) that I forget! You guys HAVE to miss the longest stick in the NHL
Mitchell was concussed badly on a hit from behind by Malkin back in January and is suffering from PCS. No one knows for sure whether he's exercising of if he'll be back. There's some speculation in the media that he could be back sometime in the playoffs but the organization is keeping it under wraps. We've really missed him (and his long stick ) as Bieksa and Alberts have both been complete abominations defensively.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:32 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
Canucks on the road are...
you should finish your sentence there... here, let me plug in the info for you:

"Canucks on the road are".... showing that they are a much better road team than their record shows.

They were on the road in October and November.... but then again, the Kings aren't going to be playing the October/November Canucks that were without Daniel Sedin and Luongo for several of those games.

Here's their road record from month to month:

October: .286
November: .400
December: .643
January: .750
February: .429
March: .650
April: .333 (3 games)

as you can see, their road record isn't that bad overall, and the worst of it was early in the season when they lost Daniel to long-term injury and had other players (including Luongo) go down at the same time. Now if you want to rely on their overall record to assume that they'll be a cake-walk on the road, that's up to you guy... but looking at their actual performances, I'd be more concerned with the team's record with most of their top guys in place, because that's the team you'll be facing in the playoffs.

And I think their home record should also balance that out as well, considering they have the best home record in the NHL, and have home-ice advantage in the first round.

Since Daniel's returned to the lineup (end of November) after his almost 2month long injury, the Canucks are 15-12-2 for 32 pts in 29 games, or a win% of .552, on the road. And that includes a 14-game road trip which they went 8-5-1 on. Prior to that, they were 4-8-0 for 8 pts in 12 games, or a .333 win%.

As a Canuck fan, I'm *much* more worried about the durability of our defense and Luongo's mental game at this point, than I am about their game on the road.

I expect this to be a long series because of that... if we get the Luongo we saw in the playoffs prior to that last game 6 against the Hawks last year, then we should be in great shape (he still currently holds the best save% in the playoffs among all active goalies despite that game)... if we get the Luongo we've seen for most of this season, then I don't think they win this series, despite their offensive advantage. In the playoffs your goaltending has to be huge and defense is key... the two areas where the Canucks have the biggest concerns in... though Quick's numbers aren't very good either, but he's got a better defense in front of him, led by Doughty, who's hands-down *significantly* better than any dman the Canucks have, while the Canucks are also missing their top defensive guy as well.

The other concern for the Canucks is special teams - or more specifically the PK... though their special teams are basically the same as LA's so that's a wash.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post

I'm leaning towards betting real cash on the Kings in this series.
Well, that is always best when betting as using fake money is illegal and depending upon who you place your bet with, likely to have you end up with broken knee caps and a new appreciation for high interest rates.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post

Malkin boarded him and he's been out with PCS.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Habstract

Great post NuckFan,

They probably played most of their road games in october , november and february because your overall record is 19-20-2 on the road. The worst with the Senators and the flyers in the 16 qualified teams.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:36 AM
kingsfan25

Here's a more optomistic take from Sportsnet...acknowledges that both sides have major issues going into the post-season.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/...kings_matchup/

Quote:
This series is the toughest pick in the West. Luongo hasn't been sharp, and the Canucks defence is an injury away from disaster. But Vancouver has had a fine regular season, are deep at forward, and the twins could win this thing by themselves. The Kings haven't played a playoff game since '02, missing six straight years, and 24-year-old goalie Jonathan Quick heads into the playoffs having lost his last six decisions. We're not real confident in this one, but we'll take the Canucks in 7.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:42 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Great post NuckFan,

They probably played most of their road games in october , november and february because your overall record is 19-20-2 on the road. The worst with the Senators and the flyers in the 16 qualified teams.
They played 7 road games in October... 5 road games in November... Daniel returned late November and was available for the rest of the road games this year... they played 7 games again in December, 4 in January, 7 in Feb, then 8 in March and finally 3 in April.

in two of their busiest months (December and March) they played .643 and .650 hockey respectively. The problem again was the team's start on the road this year... they had a rough start to the season in general and then Daniel went down early which compounded the problems. But it does look like they've improved consistently through the season since then.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Congrats on making the postseason, anyone is up for avatar bet on the series?

Old
04-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Shellz

Jeez, come one come all.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Habstract

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
They played 7 road games in October... 5 road games in November... Daniel returned late November and was available for the rest of the road games this year... they played 7 games again in December, 4 in January, 7 in Feb, then 8 in March and finally 3 in April.

in two of their busiest months (December and March) they played .643 and .650 hockey respectively. The problem again was the team's start on the road this year... they had a rough start to the season in general and then Daniel went down early which compounded the problems. But it does look like they've improved consistently through the season since then.
They had a good month in march, I know I'm the one who bringed the road record but we can take all the regular season numbers and put them in the trash. It doesn't mean much anymore.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:50 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
They had a good month in march, I know I'm the one who bringed the road record but we can take all the regular season numbers and put them in the trash. It doesn't mean much anymore.
trust me, as a Canuck fan, I hope that's true... I've always maintained that the playoffs is all about goaltending, and Luongo hasn't inspired much confidence this season.

His playoff numbers though, even with that 7 goal Chicago loss in game 6, are still phenomenal, and he's stolen way more playoff games than those he's even looked average in. So as a Canuck fan, I hope you can throw all of it out and just focus on playoff history - which this Kings team doesn't have any of.

Though reality is that the regular season performances will count for something... and when you put aside who's got the edge in different areas, whether offense, defense, goaltending, coaching, etc, the bottom line is that these two teams are separated by just 2 points over a 82 game schedule, which is nothing... which should all point to this being a long series that's basically going to be a coin flip in the end... either team can win, and it really depends on which team has which players that show up vs. the players that don't... and right now, all the predictions in the world won't give you a clue about that.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:51 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

CBC in Canada makes Kings vs. Canucks its marquee series:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1530981/

"Public broadcaster snags rights to Vancouver-Los Angeles and Ottawa-Pittsburgh while TSN picks up Montreal-Washington"

CBC is doing all the games up in Canada. Jim "Great SAVE Luongo" Hughson will do PBP and Craig Simpson will do Color. Versus is doing the first 4 games in the US.

The first two rounds are NOT exclusive to Versus, so if FSN wants the ratings, they can do the games in addition to Versus' coverage. The Versus coverage would be blacked out in the LA area if FSN decides to televise the games themselves. FSN has not announced their schedule yet.

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-12-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old
04-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Habstract

The last stretch can mean something as you can build a momentum or you can lose some. After the olympic break, some of our guy slowed down... For about 2 weeks, even though the record doesn't really show it, Brown, Williams, Doughty, Smyth and Stoll regained some energy. My only concern would be Quick. Loss in his last 6 decision... Didn't seem confident at all and showed some sign of fatigue.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:01 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
Jeez, come one come all.
Side effect/benefit of drawing the Canucks! Your forum will be very busy for the next little while.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Side effect/benefit of drawing the Canucks! Your forum will be very busy for the next little while.
I just better not miss anything exciting. I don't want to have to read through abunch of hooplah, haha.

Closed Thread