HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

1st Round Discussion: Wings vs. Coyotes

Old
04-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Someone posted on here that they had 14 shootout wins. That's something that makes me fell better about the matchup. By my quick calculations they are 13-4-1 since the break. They have good goaltending and good coaching.

The Wings have been on a roll, Jimmy Howard has been great and I'd take Mike Babcock over any coach in the leauge.

Wings in 6.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 05:43 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athtar View Post
I agree.

While Phoenix was probably the best choice out of San Jose, Chicago, Vancouver and Phoenix, they are still a good team and shouldn't be underestimated. They did have 50 wins this season (and 107 points).
14 wins via the shootout. Detroit actually won 2 more games in regulation/OT this season than Phoenix did. In fact, if ties still existed Detroit would have more points than Phoenix this season (96 vs. 93) and more wins (38 vs. 36). Phoenix won 14 of 20 shootouts this season which is the only reason they finished so high in the standings. No other team won more than 10 (LA and Boston) so it doesn't look like Phoenix was exactly putting teams away during games. Might not bode well for the playoffs.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:00 PM
guinness
those were the days

I'm not liking this matchup, I just don't think the Wings stack up well with the Yotes, and Bryzgalov could stone them.

However, the Wings are healthy again and playing well, but the deciding factor will probably be the goaltending.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:16 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I think this team would be soooooo much better with Zetterberg playing with Franzen and Homer and Datsyuk playing with Bertuzzi and Flip.

Wings in 6

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:59 PM
ATHF
Go Jets Go!

vCash: 50
The only reason you guys are so upset is because it's probably going to be about 60/40 in the arena and just about as loud when the Wings score...and it's not a matter of cocky, but a matter of Detroit finally having their full team back, four lines that can roll, solid six D-men and goaltending that can actually steal games for us when we need it.

Phoenix's game all year has been score early and try to trap teams into mistakes or play for OT and shootout points. The only problem with that is that the trap doesn't work very well against a puck possession team and Detroit does that better than just about anyone.

I'm sticking with my prediction...Wings in 5...6 if Bryz gets hot and steals a game. There's just too much talent on this Red Wing team and too many unproven playoff performers on the Coyote team...

And to be fair, there was a lot of whining going on when you guys found out that you'd be playing Detroit, there's no denying that. You've all been complaining about playing Detroit since about two weeks before the season was out...

ATHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:00 PM
cantwell7

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzYotes18 View Post
cocky much? The problem we have with wings fans is the attitude and crap they bring into our home arena. I'm sure all the bad ones left Detroit and came to phoenix.
Let the real season begin

All jokes aside I like this match-up way more than traveling to Vancouver to face the hottest duo in the league and one of the best goalies. I think the way the Wings are playing now we should take it in 5 games.

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Reality Check

Regardless of this series, if the top 3 seeds all hold serve, a Chicago/Vancouver matchup in the second round could be terrific.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:17 PM
AzYotes18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHF View Post
The only reason you guys are so upset is because it's probably going to be about 60/40 in the arena and just about as loud when the Wings score...and it's not a matter of cocky, but a matter of Detroit finally having their full team back, four lines that can roll, solid six D-men and goaltending that can actually steal games for us when we need it.

Phoenix's game all year has been score early and try to trap teams into mistakes or play for OT and shootout points. The only problem with that is that the trap doesn't work very well against a puck possession team and Detroit does that better than just about anyone.

I'm sticking with my prediction...Wings in 5...6 if Bryz gets hot and steals a game. There's just too much talent on this Red Wing team and too many unproven playoff performers on the Coyote team...

And to be fair, there was a lot of whining going on when you guys found out that you'd be playing Detroit, there's no denying that. You've all been complaining about playing Detroit since about two weeks before the season was out...
The tix are already nearly sold out for game 1 and 2....ummmmm before anyone knew if it was the kings, wings, or preds.

If I remember correctly, didn't the Yotes beat your team in OT? Not in a shootout? just sayin

Mod: deleted.

Last edited by Fugu: 04-12-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: OT
AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Why is everyone freaking out about Bryzgalov? The guy's a great goalie, yeah, but Howard has a better save percentage and GAA. What if Bryzgalov gets hot... what if Howard gets hot?!

Not too worried about Phoenix. Their point total is inflated and they're very inexperienced. Plus, we all know the Wings have another gear in the playoffs. Wings in 5, knock on wood.

Reminds me of last year... "If Mason gets hot I can see Columbus taking this in 7!" Yeah, and if the Wings get "hot," I can see them taking it in 4.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:21 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHF View Post
It wasn't 60/40 in 1998 and it sure as hell isn't going to be in 2010.

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:23 PM
ATHF
Go Jets Go!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzYotes18 View Post
The tix are already nearly sold out for game 1 and 2....ummmmm before anyone knew if it was the kings, wings, or preds.
Yes, and there's a lot of Red Wing fans that are STH as per some of the Yotes fans I've talked to. Add to that that I'm sure I a good number of those tickets went to brokers, who will sell them to whoever wants to buy them whether they're from Detroit or not, and I bet that it's about 60/40. The Wings are a team that travels better than just about anyone and I am seriously considering coming to see the first two games along with a bunch of my friends, so that would just be about eight more Red Wing fans to add to the bunch...

ATHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:29 PM
SC2008

Yotes, though ranked higher, seem to be the underdog.

They can be the latest underestimated 1st round team the Wings fall to. (e.g. '94 Sharks, '01 Kings, '03 Ducks, '06 Oilers)

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I'd glad we playin PHX rather than VAN. But PHX is underrated and will give is trouble i say we win in 6 or 7 but wit scares me more than the Yotes themselves is that.....

EVERYONE will pick us in an upset!!! nd i never like bein the popular pick especially in a upset-version. Its a different case than passed few yrs when we cleary the best-if not 1 of the best teams

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:36 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I don't know what to feel about Phoenix. Bryz seems to be pretty mediocre every time we play him. But Doan and Vrbata always seem to be very effective against us. Then we have to watch out for Lombardi, Wolski, and Stempniak. I think this is a very winnable series for the Wings but it could easily go the Yotes way too. I say Wings in 4.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:38 PM
ZDH

Don't be so cocky...we've won the western conference two years running now while you guys were golfing

I don't see us losing 4 out of 7 to PHX - not happening

Last edited by Heaton: 04-11-2010 at 11:14 PM.
ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Bryzgalov vs. Detroit this year: .908 SV%, 2.96 GAA

Howard vs. Phoenix this year: .924 SV%, 2.62 GAA

Just putting it out there.

Old
04-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

It's a bummer that the Yotes have history in the playoffs from early in their life, it would have been nice to be the big bully ruining a teams playoff debut again lol

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
I don't see us losing 4 out of 7 to PHX - not happening
I didn't see us losing 4 out 5 to Pittsburgh last year either.

Old
04-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Should be a good series I'd say Wings in 6 definately no sweep.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:55 PM
aar000n

I really think detroit should kill them. PHX has as many goals as Degtoit without the injuries. The only hope they have is to play a slow down clutch and grab and hope for some bounces.
They have only 5 more points so they didnt have that super great regluar season.

I say Detroit in 5.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:57 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Bryz scares me and the Yotes have played us tough all year. Hoping Howard can continue to stand tall.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
I didn't see us losing 4 out 5 to Pittsburgh last year either.
true, but Pitt is on a whole other level than Phoneix

VAN/SJ/CHI are all better teams...PHX will be a good warmup

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:27 PM
tmf2204

Holland will push for a Thursday start to Wings-Coyotes series

but...

Red Wings-Coyotes series to open on Wednesday

When have the Wings ever gotten what they wanted?

Game 2 on Friday, game 3 on Sunday. Watch game 3 be an early day game on NBC.

tmf2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:45 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Don't see why my fellow Wings fans are suddenly so cocksure again, sounds like some here forget that we're a 5th seed and weren't even safely in the playoffs until fairly recently. We've been very good in the last portion of the season but this team isn't as good as the teams of the last two years, and most people here seemed to realize that, so let's not let a hot streak turn into some "our name is on the Cup" B.S.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:11 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2204 View Post
Holland will push for a Thursday start to Wings-Coyotes series

but...

Red Wings-Coyotes series to open on Wednesday

When have the Wings ever gotten what they wanted?

Game 2 on Friday, game 3 on Sunday. Watch game 3 be an early day game on NBC.
Totally a coincidence. There is no bias against the Wings in the league office. How silly.

(Just posting for Bob in case he doesn't see this.)

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote