HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1st Round Discussion: Wings vs. Coyotes

Old
04-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Coincidental Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBuddha View Post
I keep hearing this alot from RW fans. Although I can't think of a reasonable explanation why. Is it because some expert during an intermission game a month ago said detroit would beat anybody but the canucks? They wouldn't have scared me at all.
I realize the crowd isn't the main concern but if you have your choice then Canada is where you don't want to have to go in the playoffs. You really think the crowd in Phoenix will be like this?

Coincidental Minors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:26 PM
TorontoWingsFan

Hmm, Vancouver is clearly the better team with more offensive depth, dynamic players and goaltending (sometimes at least).

But the NHL needs to enhance Phoenix's value and a long playoff run would go a long way to doing that.

I was actually torn on who I wanted us to play, the better team or the league's team. Btw, isn't there some kind of anti-trust laws against this kind of thing; a team competing in a championship while owned by the league.

We could be in for a vexing series.

Conspiracies aside, Wings in 5.

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:50 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
Yotes, though ranked higher, seem to be the underdog.

They can be the latest underestimated 1st round team the Wings fall to. (e.g. '94 Sharks, '01 Kings, '03 Ducks, '06 Oilers)
'94 Sharks - 8th seed, 18 points behind
'01 Kings - 7th seed, 19 points behind
'03 Ducks - 7th seed, 15 points behind
'06 Oilers - 8th seed, 29 points behind
'10 Coyotes - 4th seed, 5 points ahead

Which one doesn't belong? Try making a relevant analogy next time!

FissionFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:26 PM
DetBigWangs

I like this matchup. Phoenix doesn't have the top-tier talent to match up with Dats, Z, or Mule. I feel like this is ours to win or lose.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
DetBigWangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Don't see why my fellow Wings fans are suddenly so cocksure again, sounds like some here forget that we're a 5th seed and weren't even safely in the playoffs until fairly recently. We've been very good in the last portion of the season but this team isn't as good as the teams of the last two years, and most people here seemed to realize that, so let's not let a hot streak turn into some "our name is on the Cup" B.S.
Datsyuk and Zetterberg are the best two-way forwards in the world when they're on their game. Why shouldn't we be confident? I question whether they have enough left in the tank, but if they do I like our chances. If they don't, I'd rather they turn in early for a refill though.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:30 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Crap. I have ball hockey in Livonia Wednesday.
Must be that Bettman hates my ball hockey league.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2204 View Post
Game 2 on Friday, game 3 on Sunday. Watch game 3 be an early day game on NBC.
I'd actually prefer that to some of the weird schedules they've been putting out the past couple of years where teams have had to play back2back games only to have a bizarre two day break later in the series and what not. Every other day is a good rhythm.

04-11-2010, 11:35 PM
MrSandMan*

I think inputting Abdelkader in the line up and taking Williams out is the best way to go. I think Wings 3rd and 4th lines will be big in this series.

Eaves-Helm-Draper
Miller-Abdelkader-Cleary <-- looks like a great 4th line.

Plus Babcock can rotate Cleary on the 2nd line if he needs more grit. I think Abdelkader's strength along the boards will be imperative. Williams is just too soft.

MrSandMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan View Post
I think inputting Abdelkader in the line up and taking Williams out is the best way to go. I think Wings 3rd and 4th lines will be big in this series.

Eaves-Helm-Draper
Miller-Abdelkader-Cleary <-- looks like a great 4th line.

Plus Babcock can rotate Cleary on the 2nd line if he needs more grit. I think Abdelkader's strength along the boards will be imperative. Williams is just too soft.
Cleary has been playin wit Helm-Eaves and they have looked good together so if Abby do come in 4 Willy(god-willing) then itll prolly be Miller-Abdelkader-Draper

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:47 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBuddha View Post
Today has been great! Inexperienced playoff yotes, friendly arena for RW fans, etc.

And chicago plays the 2nd hardest team to play in the playoffs.
nashville? the wings did the hawks a favor by beating them today. now the hawks get to play a team that has failed to win ONE road playoff playoff game in their history

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings1421 View Post
nashville? the wings did the hawks a favor by beating them today. now the hawks get to play a team that has failed to win ONE road playoff playoff game in their history
Gotta start somewhere... Nashville will be a tough out for Chicago.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:52 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Don't see why my fellow Wings fans are suddenly so cocksure again, sounds like some here forget that we're a 5th seed and weren't even safely in the playoffs until fairly recently. We've been very good in the last portion of the season but this team isn't as good as the teams of the last two years, and most people here seemed to realize that, so let's not let a hot streak turn into some "our name is on the Cup" B.S.
i dont see anybody on here saying the wings are gonna win the cup

Old
04-11-2010, 11:55 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
Gotta start somewhere... Nashville will be a tough out for Chicago.
hawks will win in six with the home team winning all the games

Old
04-12-2010, 12:20 AM
aar000n

what worries me is the NHL put a lot of effort to keep PHX there so willl the games be called fair? We already witnessed what Betmen will do with the Pens.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:26 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Regardless of this series, if the top 3 seeds all hold serve, a Chicago/Vancouver matchup in the second round could be terrific.
One of those top 3 is going down. Chicago and Vancouver won't meet in the 2nd round. Bank on it. Which one will go down, I have no idea. I don't think the Sharks will have any trouble with the Avs, but the Hawks are a mess and the Kings will give the Nucks a good fight.

As for this series, it's tough to say. Phoenix does not have a strong offense but they have guys up and down the roster that can score a few in any given series. Nobody for the Wings to key on, which they usually do pretty well. Could be tougher to defend since they don't really have any major weapons.

Phoenix's defense is strong offensively but not tremendous defensively. They don't have to be with Bryzgalov back there though.

Now that the Wings are healthy, they look like the best team in the league ... some nights. And on other nights they look like they could lose a short series to anybody, including the Yotes. Do we see the "Ole!!" defense that has popped up now and again, or do we see the pretty solid defense that doesn't do anything special and just takes care of the puck, clears the zone, clears the rebounds, and keeps passes from crossing the slot?

Offensively, the Wings look like a 5 goal a game team ... some nights. Other nights they look like they forgot where the other team's net is. Usually this happens when teams stack the blueline and take away the middle of the ice. Do the Yotes have the defensemen and overall team defensive ability and discipline to play that way?

Jimmy Howard is the X factor for both teams. If he plays the way he has most of the season, the Wings will win this series. If he plays the way he did against the Hawks on Sunday, the Wings will win this series in 4 or 5 games. If he struggles or if the pressure gets to him, all bets are off and the Wings are looking at a long series if they're lucky.

Something else I didn't think of - the Wings haven't been the road team in a series since the 2000 2nd round when they lost to the Avs. It's a different feeling as a fan and it must be different for the players as well. Do they go in thinking in the backs of their minds that splitting the first 2 is the goal? Will that take any edge off of their game?

Interesting series. These teams are actually pretty similar - both with low high-scorers, the Wings because of injuries and the Yotes because they just don't have any elite scorers. Defensive lapses for both sides all year, and leaning heavily on their goalies. And both have a minor fan following in Phoenix.

I can't even make a prediction because I don't know what Wings team is going to show up. That scares the hell out of me, but what the hell, it should be interesting.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:46 AM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
One of those top 3 is going down. Chicago and Vancouver won't meet in the 2nd round. Bank on it. Which one will go down, I have no idea. I don't think the Sharks will have any trouble with the Avs, but the Hawks are a mess and the Kings will give the Nucks a good fight.

As for this series, it's tough to say. Phoenix does not have a strong offense but they have guys up and down the roster that can score a few in any given series. Nobody for the Wings to key on, which they usually do pretty well. Could be tougher to defend since they don't really have any major weapons.

Phoenix's defense is strong offensively but not tremendous defensively. They don't have to be with Bryzgalov back there though.

Now that the Wings are healthy, they look like the best team in the league ... some nights. And on other nights they look like they could lose a short series to anybody, including the Yotes. Do we see the "Ole!!" defense that has popped up now and again, or do we see the pretty solid defense that doesn't do anything special and just takes care of the puck, clears the zone, clears the rebounds, and keeps passes from crossing the slot?

Offensively, the Wings look like a 5 goal a game team ... some nights. Other nights they look like they forgot where the other team's net is. Usually this happens when teams stack the blueline and take away the middle of the ice. Do the Yotes have the defensemen and overall team defensive ability and discipline to play that way?

Jimmy Howard is the X factor for both teams. If he plays the way he has most of the season, the Wings will win this series. If he plays the way he did against the Hawks on Sunday, the Wings will win this series in 4 or 5 games. If he struggles or if the pressure gets to him, all bets are off and the Wings are looking at a long series if they're lucky.

Something else I didn't think of - the Wings haven't been the road team in a series since the 2000 2nd round when they lost to the Avs. It's a different feeling as a fan and it must be different for the players as well. Do they go in thinking in the backs of their minds that splitting the first 2 is the goal? Will that take any edge off of their game?

Interesting series. These teams are actually pretty similar - both with low high-scorers, the Wings because of injuries and the Yotes because they just don't have any elite scorers. Defensive lapses for both sides all year, and leaning heavily on their goalies. And both have a minor fan following in Phoenix.

I can't even make a prediction because I don't know what Wings team is going to show up. That scares the hell out of me, but what the hell, it should be interesting.
dont remind me of that series. wings won the first 2 games on the road and then lost the next 4

Old
04-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:

Not trolling, merely curious as to how/why they are a mess in your opinion is all.

Blue Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:56 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
I just bought an awesome Winnipeg Jets t-shirt last week, looks like I won't be wearing it for the next couple weeks.

I'm happy about the match-up, not because I think the Coyotes are pushovers, but because the Canucks are damn good. Also, Phoenix is basically Hockeytown Jr., usually more Wings support than Coyotes.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
How the hell did the Hawks get a Friday night game 1???? Lame.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
How the hell did the Hawks get a Friday night game 1???? Lame.
There's another event at the United Center Thursday night is all I know. Why they weren't scheduled Wednesday night I have no idea, but that's at least the reasoning for no game Thursday.

Blue Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:03 AM
tmf2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I'd actually prefer that to some of the weird schedules they've been putting out the past couple of years where teams have had to play back2back games only to have a bizarre two day break later in the series and what not. Every other day is a good rhythm.
It's going to be very difficult for them between games 2 and 3. The league threw them a bone by scheduling two days off between games 4 and 5, but having to play at 7 pm PDT on Friday night and then at 3 pm EDT on Sunday? Is that really any better than perhaps playing games 1 and 2 back-to-back on Wed-Thurs and then game 3 as scheduled? Travel-wise I would expect them to stay in Phoenix after the game on Friday and fly back only on Saturday, as evidenced in the regular season. (On one Western trip the Wings flew red-eye immediately back to Detroit after a game against SJ, on to NY where they put up the stinker against the Islanders; on their last trip a couple weeks ago they switched it up by staying in Vancouver after the game, traveled the next day and played extremely well the following night against Pittsburgh.) To then wake up on Sunday and play an afternoon game, a time at which the Wings aren't usually at their best, well, I can already see Babcock worried about that one. All the more imperative to grab at least 1 of 2 in Phoenix.

tmf2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:08 AM
theYman
Backboard #8 realgud

Yay we get to play the Phoenix Bettmans!

wonder how many times we get screwed during this series? oh boy hope I have enough fingers and toes left to count by the end.

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:29 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
'94 Sharks - 8th seed, 18 points behind
'01 Kings - 7th seed, 19 points behind
'03 Ducks - 7th seed, 15 points behind
'06 Oilers - 8th seed, 29 points behind
'10 Coyotes - 4th seed, 5 points ahead

Which one doesn't belong? Try making a relevant analogy next time!

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:47 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Compared to Vancouver or even SJ, this is a much more favorable matchup. But Bryzgalov is hot this year and Phoenix can be really dangerous.

I believe we can win the series, but the Wings need to perform like they do against SJ and the Hawks from now on. No more blowing 4 goal leads and try to stop giving away silly passes.

And of course, Howard should start in goal, there is no doubt in my mind he is the best candidate to do the job.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:00 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
IMO, it puts a ton of pressure on the Coyotes really, really early. In a typical 4/5 series it wouldn't matter... but against a playoff-tested team like the Wings, if Detroit goes in and wins game 1, suddenly game 2 becomes must win for them against a team that has quite a bit of experience and a fairly intimidating playoff reputation.

Honestly, if Detroit wins game 1 it doesn't go back to Phoenix for game 5. I think they sweep them, and at worst win in 5.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote