HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

1st Round Discussion: Wings vs. Coyotes

Old
04-12-2010, 12:29 PM
PocketGnome

vCash: 500
I bought some of the $30 seats for me and some friends to go to game 3. Totally pumped for an afternoon game! Really excited to get down there around noon or a little before and just hang around till gametime. So pumped. Go Wings!

PocketGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Then again losing Campbell is a huge plus for the Hawks' defense.
His defense leaves a lot to be desired, but their power play appears to have collapsed without him (that goal yesterday notwithstanding)

Sadekuuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
His defense leaves a lot to be desired, but their power play appears to have collapsed without him (that goal yesterday notwithstanding)
Brian Campbell had 0 PP points the 19 games before he got hurt. Last PP point was on 1/17 against Detroit.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
They have several guys that can play fine on the PP and not kill them at ES. Campbell is mostly fine during the regular season but when the heat gets turned up in the playoffs he tends to come down with Kuznetsovitis and starts serving up breakaways for the opposition. If the Wings have to play an entire series without any breakaways or odd-man rushes, the offense is very likely to stagnate. So if they ever end up playing the Hawks, it will probably be harder to score on them with Campbell out.

But Sopel sucks too, so you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGUN View Post
Do you keep that vodoo doll 'Jobu' or do you change it for the playoffs?
Historically I have gone with the Goulet / Single Tear avatar in the playoffs and then during the season I rotate whatever I think is funny at the time. I put Jobu up there back in maybe January to ward off injuries, and he's done a pretty good job. Everyone just needs to make sure they sacrifice some rum to Jobu on game night so that he will look favorably upon us.

I have requests in for both Goulet and Jobu avatars, so if we need to shake up the mojo I should be prepared.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
MrSandMan*

NHL.com has Coyotes in 4th place with a 107 points and Canucks in 3rd with 103 points.

Shouldn't Coyotes be 3rd place since they have more points than Canucks?

MrSandMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:59 PM
mizunox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan View Post
NHL.com has Coyotes in 4th place with a 107 points and Canucks in 3rd with 103 points.

Shouldn't Coyotes be 3rd place since they have more points than Canucks?
No, because they didn't win their division. The canucks did.

mizunox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:25 PM
doublejack

I like Phoenix better than Vancouver or San Jose because they're one time zone closer. Beyond that, they all look dangerous to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Compared to Vancouver or even SJ, this is a much more favorable matchup. But Bryzgalov is hot this year and Phoenix can be really dangerous.

I believe we can win the series, but the Wings need to perform like they do against SJ and the Hawks from now on. No more blowing 4 goal leads and try to stop giving away silly passes.

And of course, Howard should start in goal, there is no doubt in my mind he is the best candidate to do the job.
I don't think there's any debate about that point

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:28 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
As with so many other things that aren't 2+2 obvious, it largely depends on the willingness of the individual to believe what their eyes tell them and have an opinion as opposed to defending a position. I mean, for the better part of 10-15 years back in the 70's and 80's people wanted to believe that professional wrestling was real, and they did so. It wasn't until the early 90's that reality finally percolated down through even the ardent supporters.

Now, this isn't to imply the NHL or the NBA or whatever is as fake and contrived as professional wrestling, merely to illustrate the degree of obvious fakery that has to be committed to truly gain much traction among a passionate fanbase.

And, honestly, I'm not sure that a sports league would be 'better' if their leadership didn't engage in strategic nudging. Would the NBA be better if they called everything evenly regardless of whether a guy was Michael Jordan or the 10th guy at the end of the bench? Would the NHL be better if the league encouraged better officiating overall, or made the same calls in June that they made in November?

The important thing is to never cross the line where it becomes patently obvious a fix is in. That destroys things irrevocably. As long as events remain plausible the vast majority of fans aren't going to be bothered.

As it relates to the Coyotes series, however, I certainly hope that the League's obvious and astonishingly clear financial incentive to extend the series and/or have the Coyotes win outright doesn't push them nearer to crossing that line than they've demonstrated a willingness to go previously.

That would undeniably be terrible for the NHL.
There is no more need to say anything than that. When people really believed that professional wrestling was for real, why would not it be easy to fix games a little bit when needed. I am not saying it happens always or all the time, but it happens.

The Wings are the team Bettman does want to succeed that is something one always have to have in mind.

Last edited by 14ari13: 04-12-2010 at 01:33 PM.
14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:01 PM
heyfolks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan View Post
I think inputting Abdelkader in the line up and taking Williams out is the best way to go. I think Wings 3rd and 4th lines will be big in this series.

Eaves-Helm-Draper
Miller-Abdelkader-Cleary <-- looks like a great 4th line.

Plus Babcock can rotate Cleary on the 2nd line if he needs more grit. I think Abdelkader's strength along the boards will be imperative. Williams is just too soft.
According to a Mlive article, the Wings are going with the same line-up and lines as we saw in the Hawk game.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....-+MLive.com%29

Quote:
Wings coach Mike Babcock will use same lineup, lines for Game 1 against Phoenix
By Ansar Khan
April 12, 2010, 1:56PM

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said Monday that he will go with the same lineup he has been using the last several games for Game 1 of the first-round playoff series against Phoenix on Wednesday.

Babcock said the club officially recalled forwards Justin Abdelkader and Brad May on Monday. They will practice with the team. Others are expected to be recalled as "Black Aces,'' players who will take the ice following practice. General manager Ken Holland said last week that would be forwards Mattias Ritola and Jan Mursak (after he's done with the B Pool World Championships), defensemen Doug Janik and Jakub Kindl and goaltender Daniel Larsson.

Abdelkader won't play in Game 1, but he will be competing to get in the lineup.

"Normally what I've done here in the past is when we got in I changed all the lines just to make sure we're ready for things we got to do,'' Babcock said. "I haven't done as much of that because we need to be on a roll. But it's like anything, lines are there to be kept together if they're going good and there to be changed if they're not.''

heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Wings in 7.

Phoenix is a tough team, more so than it seems anyone is giving them credit for. I still think the Wings are better, and if not for injuries and such, they probably would be in that 4th seed themselves right now. Still though, don't count out the Coyotes as an easy opponent. They have good goaltending, good defense, some solid depth scoring... and Bettman.

The one good thing about this series is travel. Not as good as Nashville or Columbus have been the past couple of seasons, but still; it could have been much worse. Vancouver is about far west as you can get.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings1421 View Post
i dont see anybody on here saying the wings are gonna win the cup
I don't see people giving Phoenix respect. I will be honest and say I don't know a whole lot about the Yotes but it makes me feel queasy when I see people basically thinking we have this in the bag already. There's too much talk here as if the Wings didn't just have a subpar season and as if this isn't a season where low expectations might be a wise starting point. Someone pointed out the difference between those infamous playoff upsets the Wings suffered and this year, yeah we're the 5th seed and they're the 4th but everyone treats it as if the Wings were the #1 seed and they were the #8. It's a dangerous setup.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't see people giving Phoenix respect. I will be honest and say I don't know a whole lot about the Yotes but it makes me feel queasy when I see people basically thinking we have this in the bag already. There's too much talk here as if the Wings didn't just have a subpar season and as if this isn't a season where low expectations might be a wise starting point. Someone pointed out the difference between those infamous playoff upsets the Wings suffered and this year, yeah we're the 5th seed and they're the 4th but everyone treats it as if the Wings were the #1 seed and they were the #8. It's a dangerous setup.
Yeah, I'll agree with that.

I'm a little surprised at people here saying we'll beat the 'Yotes in 5, or even actually sweep them. They won 50 games, had over 100 points, and are starting with home ice advantage for a good reason, and it's not just because GB's in their back pocket.

This will be a tough matchup. If there is any series in the West that could go to seven games in the first round, this one probably has the best chance of that happening.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:29 PM
HockeyBuddha
Knower of All

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyfolks View Post
According to a Mlive article, the Wings are going with the same line-up and lines as we saw in the Hawk game.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....-+MLive.com%29
Argggghh!!! I was hoping Abdelkader would replace williams. Shucks

HockeyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Well, this is the series I wanted so hopefully it will be a good one. I like Phoenix. I wonder if they are pissed at tha fact this is the one year they have this amazing run and end up with us, lmao.

Hats off to our boys for a phenominal season with all those injuries. It looked bad at times but we really played pretty damn good down the stretch (understatement of the year?)

Wings in 5

My other picks:

Sj in 5
Chi in 6
Van in 6

Wsh in 4
Phi in 7 (season series bought me on this one)
Buf in 6
Pens in 5

and today i found out my buddy's GF can get tickets cheap as hell from her work, so I might be going to game 3
i usually have not made predictions, but i did this time.

washington in 5
philadelphia in 7
boston in 7
pittsburgh in 6

SJ in 4
chicago in 6
vancouver in 6
DRW in 5

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:31 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Oh don't get us wrong most of us realize Phoenix is a good team, we just think we have the upper hand head to head against them. The main reason being experience. The playoffs are an entirely different game because of the drastic changes in officiating. Phoenix is an inexperienced team and it will take them a few games to adjust to the new playing style while the Wings know how to play in the playoffs right out of the gate. This will give Detroit quite the advantage right out of the gate, and because of that I see us winning the first 2 on the road. Once we get to Detroit, Phoenix may finally have things figured out but Detroit will be playing at home and we won't lose at home because of the many advantages it brings. We also have one of the top Playoff coaches in the league. Phoenix is good no doubt, I just don't see them beating the Wings in a 7 game series.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:34 PM
HockeyBuddha
Knower of All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
This will be a tough matchup. If there is any series in the West that could go to seven games in the first round, this one probably has the best chance of that happening.
Really? The Chicago/Nashville series should be a good one and might go 7. Wings/Yotes, I'll say 5.

I know yotes fans aren't acclimated to the playoffs, but that's how every fan base acts before a playoff series - they talk s**t to each other. Get used to it (for the next week and 1/2, after that you're in the clear )

Old
04-12-2010, 02:37 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBuddha View Post
Really? The Chicago/Nashville series should be a good one and might go 7. Wings/Yotes, I'll say 5.

I know yotes fans aren't acclimated to the playoffs, but that's how every fan base acts before a playoff series - they talk s**t to each other. Get used to it (for the next week and 1/2, after that you're in the clear )
that series will only be good if nashville can figure out how to win a road playoff game for the first time in their history

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:48 PM
HockeyBuddha
Knower of All

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings1421 View Post
that series will only be good if nashville can figure out how to win a road playoff game for the first time in their history
So very true. They played in four playoff series losing in the 1st round every series never winning on the road. Therefore, they will never win on the road and will struggle from years on end to win a playoff game on the road.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
theYman
Backboard #8 realgud

Realisticaly speaking I could see us either up 3-1 through 4 or tied more 3-1 though.

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:43 PM
DaveTippetsCoyotes

Quote:
I like Phoenix better than Vancouver or San Jose because they're one time zone closer. Beyond that, they all look dangerous to me.
Been reading the posts, and thought I would just clear this up since i've seen it said twice. Phoenix is currently 3 hours back from east coast time, so we are not one time zone closer. No day-light savings time in Phoenix, so when day-light savings time happened back in March for the rest of the country, we stayed the same. We WERE 2 hours back from east coast time before day-light savings time, now we are 3 hours back.

DaveTippetsCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:57 PM
theYman
Backboard #8 realgud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTippetsCoyotes View Post
Been reading the posts, and thought I would just clear this up since i've seen it said twice. Phoenix is currently 3 hours back from east coast time, so we are not one time zone closer. No day-light savings time in Phoenix, so when day-light savings time happened back in March for the rest of the country, we stayed the same. We WERE 2 hours back from east coast time before day-light savings time, now we are 3 hours back.
yup you are correct sir! (Ed McMahon voice)

Cause when I was traveling back home last August from Cali through Arizona I forgot about the daylight savings thing for you guys even though it says Mountain time for you on the map. Screwed me up big time. lol

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:59 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Historically I have gone with the Goulet / Single Tear avatar in the playoffs and then during the season I rotate whatever I think is funny at the time. I put Jobu up there back in maybe January to ward off injuries, and he's done a pretty good job. Everyone just needs to make sure they sacrifice some rum to Jobu on game night so that he will look favorably upon us.

I have requests in for both Goulet and Jobu avatars, so if we need to shake up the mojo I should be prepared.
Ah yes, the Goulet/Single Tear avatar. I miss that one

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:05 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
As with so many other things that aren't 2+2 obvious, it largely depends on the willingness of the individual to believe what their eyes tell them and have an opinion as opposed to defending a position. I mean, for the better part of 10-15 years back in the 70's and 80's people wanted to believe that professional wrestling was real, and they did so. It wasn't until the early 90's that reality finally percolated down through even the ardent supporters.

Now, this isn't to imply the NHL or the NBA or whatever is as fake and contrived as professional wrestling, merely to illustrate the degree of obvious fakery that has to be committed to truly gain much traction among a passionate fanbase.

And, honestly, I'm not sure that a sports league would be 'better' if their leadership didn't engage in strategic nudging. Would the NBA be better if they called everything evenly regardless of whether a guy was Michael Jordan or the 10th guy at the end of the bench? Would the NHL be better if the league encouraged better officiating overall, or made the same calls in June that they made in November?

The important thing is to never cross the line where it becomes patently obvious a fix is in. That destroys things irrevocably. As long as events remain plausible the vast majority of fans aren't going to be bothered.

As it relates to the Coyotes series, however, I certainly hope that the League's obvious and astonishingly clear financial incentive to extend the series and/or have the Coyotes win outright doesn't push them nearer to crossing that line than they've demonstrated a willingness to go previously.

That would undeniably be terrible for the NHL.
Welcome to the real world!? I don't think that some people can except this, its to big for them

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:29 PM
tmf2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Yeah, I still prefer having a consistent day between games than having back to back games and/or 2 day breaks. I think rhythm is important, and being able to settle into an every other day cycle is ultimately a good thing.
I would agree, that if the travel between the two teams is within 1-2 hours and 1-2 time zones, every other day is ideal. When we're talking about 4 hours and 3 time zones and less than 48 hours between games, then physiological factors affecting performance come into play and I don't believe maintaining a good rhythm is possible. But we know it's the hand the Wings have been dealt for several years (and the rest of the Western conference at large) and if they want to go deep they're just going to have to overcome it, once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I feel the same way. I understand the Red Wings wanting more time to rest up but they have been on a roll. Seems like a good idea to get back at it sooner rather than later.
That is what I thought and I do not mind at all starting on Wednesday.
I am a bit surprised Babcock did not give another start to Osgood.
They've traveled a lot over the last week. Flew to Columbus and back, Chicago and back, and on the very next day it's off to Phoenix. The last full day they spent in Detroit was last Wednesday for the home finale, so Holland and co probably wanted the players to enjoy a full day off at home on Monday before the grind starts up again. Now with their game on Wednesday instead of Thursday, they don't get that opportunity. It may not seem like much of a difference but I mean, when discussing possible playoff matchups and advantages/disadvantages for the Wings both Bowman and Babcock singled out the extra hour and a half spent in customs when traveling to Vancouver. It's clear at this time of year no detail goes unnoticed.

tmf2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
I put Jobu up there back in maybe January to ward off injuries, and he's done a pretty good job. Everyone just needs to make sure they sacrifice some rum to Jobu on game night so that he will look favorably upon us.
I'm willing to do my part. What does this sacrifice of rum entail?

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote