HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread

Old
04-12-2010, 08:33 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
At least the Ducks won last night so we can win the lotto..

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:44 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
At least the Ducks won last night so we can win the lotto..

And draft 6th overall.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:03 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Tocchet and Lawton got the axe.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=525048

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post

Awesome.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Quick, have Sather call Len Barrie!

Old
04-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
OK then, who would you trade Dubinsky for, that we could realistically acquire, that would make this team better? I'm not disagreeing that he isn't untouchable, but I see no point in trading him, but I'd like to see your point.
Agreed. Hes had a 3 point increase in what... 13 less games, and increased his +- by +15.

In 13 less games he put up 7 more goals.

His 44 in 69 is a 52.3 point pace over a 82 game season. 41 points vs 52 points is a big difference especially when the biggest increase is in goalscoring.

Why trade him? 52 points in his 3rd pro season from second round pick is outstanding. What more would you want from a 2nd rounder, almost 3rd rounder (60th overall)

Trading him would be a huge mistake. Where are you going to get 52 points for 2 mil a year?

Our captain who makes 7 million and didnt put up those numbers?

Callahan who every one on here has a love obsession with? Played 8 more games than Dubinsky yet put up 7 less points.

I know. Grachev will step in next year and magically start producing at a 60 point pace.

Face it. Getting rid of Dubinsky will solve nothing and only have this organization take another step back. Only way this team goes any where is by getting Reddens contract off the books, bringing in another goal scorer, and getting a actual NHL defenseman to replace Way Deadend

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Isn't Sather at the age where he should be retiring to Florida?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:32 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Agreed. Hes had a 3 point increase in what... 13 less games, and increased his +- by +15.

In 13 less games he put up 7 more goals.

His 44 in 69 is a 52.3 point pace over a 82 game season. 41 points vs 52 points is a big difference especially when the biggest increase is in goalscoring.

Why trade him? 52 points in his 3rd pro season from second round pick is outstanding. What more would you want from a 2nd rounder, almost 3rd rounder (60th overall)

Trading him would be a huge mistake. Where are you going to get 52 points for 2 mil a year?

Our captain who makes 7 million and didnt put up those numbers?

Callahan who every one on here has a love obsession with? Played 8 more games than Dubinsky yet put up 7 less points.

I know. Grachev will step in next year and magically start producing at a 60 point pace.

Face it. Getting rid of Dubinsky will solve nothing and only have this organization take another step back. Only way this team goes any where is by getting Reddens contract off the books, bringing in another goal scorer, and getting a actual NHL defenseman to replace Way Deadend
And, look at he's numbers after returning from the injury and moving to LW full time -17/14/31 in 51 games. That's 27 goals over the course of an 82 game scheduled. His assists were down as he was less of a playmaker. But, his goal production went up.

Old
04-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I don't understand some of the misguided bashing in this thread:

Dubi?

P.A. P?!

Hank?!!!

ARE YOU GUYS INSANE?

PAP was one of our better players down the stretch... he went second in that shootout for a reason.

Dubi was also good down the stretch... great? No. But I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

I'm not going to say anything about the last one. Ignorant is the only word that comes to mind when bashing that guy.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

PAP sucked last night, as did Christensen.

Old
04-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I don't understand some of the misguided bashing in this thread:

Dubi?

P.A. P?!

Hank?!!!

ARE YOU GUYS INSANE?

PAP was one of our better players down the stretch... he went second in that shootout for a reason.

Dubi was also good down the stretch... great? No. But I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

I'm not going to say anything about the last one. Ignorant is the only word that comes to mind when bashing that guy.
Dubinsky and Lundqvist were pretty damn good this season and should be part of the solution going forward.

Parenteau, while creative offensively, is just overmatched physically and has a propensity for making some terrible decisions with the puck in the nuetral zone. To use a baseball term, he is a AAAA player.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:43 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
2011 offseason:
Depending on who we drafted in 2010, either try to sign a center for the 1st line (Thornton or Richards would be great) or a RW for the 2nd (Semin, Backes, Gagne could be a solid choice too). Trade Rozy to get the cap space if needed.
Our lineup could now look like this:
There's no way we could afford any of those players. If we sign Volchenkov this offseason (rather than give out 1 year contracts), we would have to trade Rozy or buy out Drury just so we can re-sign Dubi, Cally and Anisimov, who will all be RFAs. Dubi and Cally will be arbitration eligible.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
PAP sucked last night, as did Christensen.
If you want to generalize like that...

THE WHOLE TEAM NOT NAMED LUNDQVIST SUCKED LAST NIGHT

One of the most kitty-cat (real word would be **** out) games I've ever watched. 1 goal lead and chipping the puck out at every opportunity. Pathetic.

PAP isn't the first line talent we need (certainly not a shutdown d-man) but for a call up I thought he held his own... potted a few goals.

I'd say keep him... but that doesn't solve ANY of our real problems.

Old
04-12-2010, 09:47 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Rangers scored 200 goals last year. (28th)

Rangers scored 219 goals this year. (16th)

our offense got better, much better. Our problem this year was our Defense. In particular Michael Del Zotto, Matt Gilroy, and of course, Wade Redden.
Can you look up for me how many goals we let up this year and last and get back to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Those 3 were anywhere from Awful to Pathetic in the defensive zone. 2 are young, and it shouldn't be a surprise. 1 is Redden, and that shouldnt be a surprise.

Next year, when we get a little older and more experienced we should be better....especially if we can get Redden the eff out of here.
Gilroy and MDZ were thrown to the wolves and actually did pretty well. Our biggest problem, aside from major inconsistency, was being absolutely dreadful in OT/SO. What were we, something like 4-12? Phoenix was 18-1-5 or something ridiculous like that.

We have $46 million tied up in 13 players. Even if you jettison Redden and bring that number to $40, you're willing to tie up $10 million just for Kovalchuk and then try to sign 8 more players for $6 million? NO WAY DO I SIGN KOVALCHUK. This is exactly the kind of crap that got this team in hot water in the first place. Has Atlanta gotten worse? No. Did the Devils get a lot better? No. He's a loser until he proves otherwise and I don't want him.

My list:

Sather: g'bye
Sign: Christensen, Prust (whose value has gone up significantly one would think), Staal, Girardi.
Don't sign: Any UFA not mentioned above. Including Prospal - who won't be cheap anymore.
Deal: Sanguinetti
Draft: A Center or a LW
UFA's: Forwards and/or Volchenkov
Torts: Keep. He had crap to work with a gimped Gaborik, Callahan, and Avery down the stretch.
Develop Chad Johnson

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Can you look up for me how many goals we let up this year and last and get back to me?

It was the same number, 218 as last year, which I showed in my thread.

BTW solid post.

Old
04-12-2010, 09:51 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
It was the same number, 218 as last year, which I showed in my thread.
But I wasn't talking to you.

His analysis was that we scored a few more goals, the offense was better, the defense was worse despite the fact that we had the same GAA.

Thanks for the solid post comment, btw.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
But I wasn't talking to you.

His analysis was that we scored a few more goals, the offense was better, the defense was worse despite the fact that we had the same GAA.

Thanks for the solid post comment, btw.
The offense was better because acquiring 40 goal scorers will do that.

I agree with inferno sometimes, but the issue is that hes a Torts fanboy. But at least hes finally admitting the Rangers have personnel problems...babysteps.

Old
04-12-2010, 10:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Doug Risebrough is getting the TB job if he wants it. His job to lose.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:21 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Doug Risebrough is getting the TB job if he wants it. His job to lose.
That might actually be a good situation for him, because he has great pieces to work with. All he really has to do is fine tune and keep drafting well.

Tocchet is one of the worst head coaches I've ever seen. He has no clue what he's doing. Can't believe it took this long for him to get fired.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:25 AM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

This is going to be a long azz summer……… when do the preseason games begin?

ak10r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

In all honesty I'm not sure we'll have any rookies playing next season... not sure any are ready.

#1 priority should be losing Redden and replacing with a decent dman. After that it would all be subtle. I doubt we're making a big splash in free agency this off season.

Those who want Souray will prbably get their wish (I'm not a fan but have been wrong before )

Old
04-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
In all honesty I'm not sure we'll have any rookies playing next season... not sure any are ready.

#1 priority should be losing Redden and replacing with a decent dman. After that it would all be subtle. I doubt we're making a big splash in free agency this off season.

Those who want Souray will prbably get their wish (I'm not a fan but have been wrong before )
Theres people out there that actually want Sheldon Souray on this team?

Old
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

I think there's a good shot we'll be seeing 2 rookies on the blueline for a second year in a row (McDonagh and Sanguinetti).

I also think there's a 40/60 chance that Grachev will make it, despite his low numbers at HFD (but I know I'm in the vast minority on this one).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I think there's a good shot we'll be seeing 2 rookies on the blueline for a second year in a row (McDonagh and Sanguinetti).

I also think there's a 40/60 chance that Grachev will make it, despite his low numbers at HFD (but I know I'm in the vast minority on this one).
If McDonagh is ready to make the jump from college to the NHL, then I'd welcome it. I dont think it'd be a wise decision though. We need a couple of cheap stop-gag type vets on the blueline.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:08 AM
satrabyk

until this team/organization and its fanbase realize where their is talent this team wil go nowhere. It is pretty pathetic because we keep Antropov were in the playoffs this year, guaranteed. That is how sad this team decesion making most recently has gone.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote