HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread

Old
04-12-2010, 12:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I think there's a good shot we'll be seeing 2 rookies on the blueline for a second year in a row (McDonagh and Sanguinetti).

I also think there's a 40/60 chance that Grachev will make it, despite his low numbers at HFD (but I know I'm in the vast minority on this one).
I don't think Tortorella is prepared to do that again. I think Sanguinetti replaces Gilroy, but, I think they give McDonagh at least half a year at Hartford. And, Weise is the only forward I see making the Rangers next year. Grachev will get a year to see if he can dominate like AA. This year was his adjustment.

Last edited by jas: 04-12-2010 at 12:19 PM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:13 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If McDonagh is ready to make the jump from college to the NHL, then I'd welcome it. I dont think it'd be a wise decision though. We need a couple of cheap stop-gag type vets on the blueline.
I watched a few of Wisconsin's games and he's not ready, IMHO, for next year.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Vitto79

This is a pretty tough one to predict. I actually figure not much change because of the cap but hope I am wrong

Resign Prospal, Christiensen, Shelley ,Prust, Erickson, Auld. I am ok with Girardi coming back but only if they move Rozsivals salary. They need some change on the back end. I don't see Redden getting buried, sorry...........I am going to predict Redden for Horcoff even though some think I am nuts. Jokinen walks

so something like

Dubinsky, Horcoff, Gaborik
Prospal, Anisimov, Callahan
Avery, Christiensen, Drury
Prust, Boyle, Shelley
Sign the prospect out of Switzerland everyone is talking about

Staal, Dman back for Rozsival
Del Zotto, FA Dman(Volchenkov, Mitchell, Corvo, Hamuis )
McDonaugh or Sangunetti, Girardi
Ericksson

Henrik, Auld

I don't mind Gilroy as depth in Hartford or as trade bait

I just think this is more realistic. Not much change over

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Well, first they need to re-sign Staal, offer Prospal a similar deal take it or leave it, offer contracts to Shelley, Prust, Christensen, Girardi. A lot of people want Girardi moved, if they can get something for him then so be it. I'd keep Rozy and try to relocate Redden to Hartford, it's gotten to the point where that is a realistic possibility. Inquire about Kovy and A-Train, Seidenberg on the cheap, Marleau is a distinct possibility, my brother-in-law is a huge Sharks fan and he's speculated that Marleau won't be re-signed to free up cap space. I know you can't build a team via free agency but the prospects aren't ready, and unless you're trading everyone on the team free agency is the only way to go but be smart about it.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
I think there's a good shot we'll be seeing 2 rookies on the blueline for a second year in a row (McDonagh and Sanguinetti).

I also think there's a 40/60 chance that Grachev will make it, despite his low numbers at HFD (but I know I'm in the vast minority on this one).
No way.

As I mentioned earlier, Gilroy and Del Zotto still have a lot to learn on defense and will be going through growing pains next year as well.

I don't think you can add 2 rookie defensemen when the team did the same thing the year before. Too many young, inexperienced players on the blueline and not enough veterans to guide them along the way.

I've seen lineups for next year that have Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sangs, DZ, and Redden as our only seasoned veteran. Is it really a good idea to have Redden as the veteran leader on D? They need to add another vet to mentor these kids.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Just one off-season I'd like us to dump salary, AND NOT TAKE ANY BACK IN RETURN. Hey! That's a new concept! There aren't ANY free agents out there worth giving big money to except for Kovalchuk and I don't see that happening. These dream scenarios that people post on here are exactly that: dreams.

I don't understand why we can't just take a few losing seasons on the chin until the prospects are ready and not tie up big money in free agency. All the teams that have won recently except Detroit have had awful seasons and then rebuild. As it has been proved, FA don't win the cup for you.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
ThisYearsModel

I don't suppose that Girardi plus our #1 (10th pick) would be able to get us into the #2 spot to grab Seguin.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:11 PM
SML

I don't think we should be pursuing any premium free agents this season. We must stop paying premium prices for players. We're not one or two players away. We're just not. Kovalchuk does not put us into cup contention. IMO, we should be adding a few complementary pieces that will get us through until some of the real young talent in our system catches up. This means guys who may be on the downward end of their career, but still have gas in the tank. They will be coming off their "career" contract, and may be willing or forced to take less than the going rate for their services. Think how much vlaue we got out of Prospal this season. This is the same type of thing. Make some reasonable offers, but don't max out the credit card on day one, because there may be some guys who never thought they'd be without a team caught out there with nowhere to sit when the music stops. Make some one year offers to some guys who are 35+ with the agreement that come deadline time, if we're not where we want to be, we'll do everything possible to get them a chance at the playoffs, and get value back for them. Two guys I'd like to see these type offers go to are Francis Bouillion and Adrian Aucoin. Our young kids could use some mentoring from some guys who are not negative examples like Redden. Maybe a shot at a guy like Stempniak or Lombardi, but not big money and not long term. Save some money for the unexpected.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
I don't suppose that Girardi plus our #1 (10th pick) would be able to get us into the #2 spot to grab Seguin.
Chloroform would need to be incorporated into the deal somehow.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:15 PM
terrrrrible

not signing anyone outside of the organization...

Prospal*/Dubinsky/Gaborik
Avery/Drury/Callahan
Voros/Anisimov/Christensen*
Shelley*/Grachev^/Prust*

Staal/MDZ
Gilroy/Rozsival
Sanguinetti^-Girardi*/Potter^-Eriksson*

Lundqvist
Auld*

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I don't think we should be pursuing any premium free agents this season. We must stop paying premium prices for players. We're not one or two players away. We're just not.
I think people would be surprised with just how good this team would be if Drury and Redden were replaced with legitimate #1's at both center and defense.

Technically, thats being two players away. Unfortunately its much easier said than done.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

People who are advocating bringing Prospal back - please confirm that you are aware of and understand the following:

1) his 10+ year track record of alternating every good year with a bad year;

2) the fact that there's no way we get him back for anything close to another $1.1MM contract; and

3) the rules regarding contracts signed by players over 35.

You are aware of and understand all those things and you still want to sign Prospal?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
People who are advocating bringing Prospal back - please confirm that you are aware of and understand the following:

2) the fact that there's no way we get him back for anything close to another $1.1MM contract; and

You are aware of and understand all those things and you still want to sign Prospal?
Yeah, I say move on. Stop-gaps are great, if you want to be mediocre forever. Start building towards the future and if they fail than at least there is alight at the end of the tunnel.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Yeah, I say move on. Stop-gaps are great, if you want to be mediocre forever. Start building towards the future and if they fail than at least there is alight at the end of the tunnel.
Please tell me whose ready to grab Prospal's roster spot. Hint, its not Grachev.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:41 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Prospal is 35, though. I think it's time to move on unless he's signing for (real) cheap and for one year (because of the 35+ UFA thing).

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:46 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Frankly, once we have all of the important guys re-signed, then I'm all for offering Prospal a reasonable portion of what's left on a 1 year deal.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:48 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Please tell me whose ready to grab Prospal's roster spot. Hint, its not Grachev.
Find someone. Give Christensen another year, at least he has some upside. Anisimov, Callahan, Dubinsky, Christensen, Gaborik, Drury. That top-6 is bad but if you think resigning Prospal is going to get them over their mediocrity think again.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:51 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Boston needs scoring, they're not giving up a shot at Seguin or Hall for Girardi and our 1st in any universe.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:51 PM
LamoTheKid

McD looked good, but imo he's not NHL ready. I say we put him in Hartford for the year and let him get acclimated. Or be ready to carry 7 dmen for when he hits his rookie wall.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
SouvenirCity

I wouldn't be opposed to moving our 2nd rounder + a spec to get Kaberle from TOR. I think his value has dipped enough that a top 10 pick in the 2nd round, and young mid-season roster player would be enough to nab him. The only problem would be his cap hit, which would have to be maneuvered around by either moving Rozsi, or dumping Redden in HFD.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Find someone. Give Christensen another year, at least he has some upside. Anisimov, Callahan, Dubinsky, Christensen, Gaborik, Drury. That top-6 is bad but if you think resigning Prospal is going to get them over their mediocrity think again.
This.

My (likely unrealistic) expectations for Grachev would have him coming up and playing on the 3rd or 4th line. Even I don't expect him to come in and fill Prospal's shoes on the 1st/2nd. But that's no reason to bring back a guy who hockeyviper accurately described as a stop-gap.

I mean, sure, if he wants to come at one year and $1.8MM by all freakin' means! But there's no way - he's going to want multiple years and a number that begins with a 3. Both of which are deal killers (or at least they should be for this team).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
That top 6 isnt just bad, its actually pretty terrible.

If Prospal is willing to come back on a 1 year deal for less than 3 million, you almost have to do it. Im not saying hes a guy that we need to get us over the hump, but I am saying that it couldnt hurt to have your 2nd leading scorer back on reasonable terms.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:07 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
We don't have the cap space to afford a long term solution. There are no set of moves we can make this offseason that are going to turn this team into a cup contender.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We don't have the cap space to afford a long term solution. There are no set of moves we can make this offseason that are going to turn this team into a cup contender.
And because of that, I'd be all for playing the kids next year. Unfortunately, we dont seem to have any young forwards that are currently capable of playing in the NHL.

One year stopgags then become the next best option.

Signing second tier free agents like Plekanec or Marleau to longterm deals would be another deathblow.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:

Hey you know what, you give him a similar offer take it or leave it. At 35 years old I'd like to see him try to get more because he probably won't get it. If he really likes NY and has the chance to play with an elite scorer on the power play take it, especially since he's still being paid by Tampa. Again, who else is ready to fill his shoes as a top 9 winger? It ain't Grachev.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote