HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why dont they put Hossa at his natural position?????

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Hossa has nothing you want in a center except size, that's why they moved him to the wing. Centers must be good at protecting the puck in open ice... he's not. Centers must make plays happen, Hossa doesn't do that, he works hard but doesn't CREATE things. Hossa has limited vision, and as someone pointed out his best asset is his shot, and you can't use your shot as much when you're a center.

Also, I don't think his natural position is center. He played center in the WHL, in all the other levels he didn't. And in his WHL team, he didn't have to be creative and everything I mentionned, as he played with players (Balej) with speed that would create things by themselves. He's definetly not a center.
I was under the impression that his natural position was C, because even his brother questioned why the habs organization has taken him away from his "natural" position, which he refered to as being C....

Old
05-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Duster

Quote:
Hossa has nothing you want in a center except size, that's why they moved him to the wing. Centers must be good at protecting the puck in open ice... he's not. Centers must make plays happen, Hossa doesn't do that, he works hard but doesn't CREATE things. Hossa has limited vision, and as someone pointed out his best asset is his shot, and you can't use your shot as much when you're a center.

Also, I don't think his natural position is center. He played center in the WHL, in all the other levels he didn't. And in his WHL team, he didn't have to be creative and everything I mentionned, as he played with players (Balej) with speed that would create things by themselves. He's definetly not a center.
He was drafted as a centre and described more as a playmaker than a scorer in Junior. He said so himself a few times when asked for comparison to his older brother. Some had him slotted as a future No.2 or No.3 centre.

I agree, it's no surprise that he was converted to wing. His size and shot are good reasons enough, plus the position is easier to play defensively than centre, IMO. He could be a very effective winger if he only showed up at every game. Let's hope next year is his year.

Getting someone to play with Ribs and Ryder is equally as important as signing Kovalev IMO. We need an upgrade on Dagenais.

Old
05-06-2004, 07:06 PM
jcpenny

You'll never see Hossa hang on to the puck more than 1 sec, while centers love to hang on to the puck and thats one of his main flaws. Sometimes we get on Zed's back for being a puckhog but i would love to see Hossa keep the puck to himself and use his size and speed to his advantage to create chances. Everytime i see him*play he goes unoticed cuz he never has the puck.

Old
05-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Rahan

On another note, I've rarely seen Marcel Hossa do good tape-to-tape passes that was actually useful or didn't force the teammate to lose it seconds after, putting him in hard situation.. anyone noticed that? Or maybe that's just an impression I have.

Old
05-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Next year lineup IMO:
Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Hossa - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Begin - Ward
Langdon - Plekanec - (UFA or waiver pickup)

Higgins stay in the AHL to work on his offense
Perezhogin with the suspension need time in the AHL
Kostitsyn need to play in the AHL(to work on his defense)

Old
05-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
Next year lineup IMO:
Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Hossa - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Begin - Ward
Langdon - Plekanec - (UFA or waiver pickup)

Higgins stay in the AHL to work on his offense
Perezhogin with the suspension need time in the AHL
Kostitsyn need to play in the AHL(to work on his defense)
Thats what i would do, except switch Begin and Pleks(more offensive potential), and add laperier (sp?) on the fourth line wing!!

However i also feel that Higgins could play fourth line wing, but we all know Gaineys not going to throw in more than 3 rookies at one time.

Old
05-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Sam I Am

Hossa is at his natural position...minor-leaguer!

Old
05-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Hossa is at his natural position...minor-leaguer!
Im not inviting you to my pajama party any more

Old
05-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I hope he pans out, because like you im a fan of his.

Why? Is it his name? Is it his measurements?

I can honestly say that I never thought he looked at home in the NHL so far, not even once, and he has been mediocre in the AHL. He just doesn't seem to have that spark in him.

How do I define spark? It is the shared quality of players like Koivu and Begin (there are others too). That desire to go through a brick wall for the goal, the team, the puck or on a body check.

Have you seen that is Marcel Hossa's game?

Old
05-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
How do I define spark? It is the shared quality of players like Koivu and Begin (there are others too). That desire to go through a brick wall for the goal, the team, the puck or on a body check.

I think we have, but only in very brief flashes. And when he does it he's very effective. I guess that's why he still has some fans -- it's the "what could be." Hopefully he's still young enough that Jarvis can mold him into a player who plays like that every night, but his time is running out. Gainey doesn't like question marks; he likes guys who show up every night.

Old
05-07-2004, 11:10 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

I can honestly say that I never thought he looked at home in the NHL so far, not even once, and he has been mediocre in the AHL. He just doesn't seem to have that spark in him.

I thought he looked decent in the NHL. I agree he does lack that spark and in the AHL he seemed to show no sign of life in him. But he's highly skilled. His wrist shot is impressive although he doesnt use it enough. His skating and speed are top notch as well. I do wonder if he has the brains or heart to desire to make the Habs, but he's got the skill and not many can say that. Perhaps a trade would be best for him but bad for us, as I can't see the return being all that good.

Old
05-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Mooch

Quote:

Because he has size, something many of our other prospects lack....

If he could ever put that size and skill together and play with deterimation, he could be a very, very good player for a long time.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:25 PM
tinyzombies

Bulis - Koivu - Zednik
Hossa - Ribeiro - Ryder
Higgins - Dowd - Ward
? - Plekanec - Begin
Langdon

Souray-Komisarek
Markov-Rivet
Hainsey-Brisebois
Bouillon

First of all, I highly doubt we will resign Kovalev. He's going to command a lot of money on the open market.

I agree that Laperierre would be a nice pickup for the fourth line. I would resign Dowd as he's cheap and good insurance and can be dropped to the 4th line if a kid is able to take on the role.

I would put these kids in the lineup, assuming they have a good camp. Higgins can do anything Bulis can do and might even graduate to a top 6 role, so I don't see a drop-off there at all.

Plekanec and Begin would be dynamite together. The other winger would have to be tough.

We need to play Hossa to find out for sure what the deal is with him. In any case, we can't lose him for nothing. If a trade comes along, he'd be a great throw-in. Bulis' point totals in just half season on the scoring line earn him a spot on a scoring line next year imo.

Old
05-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Because he has size, something many of our other prospects lack....

If he could ever put that size and skill together and play with deterimation, he could be a very, very good player for a long time.
Here is a name that you may find familiar...Chad Kilger.

First round pick, big guy, looked right.

Old
05-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I thought he looked decent in the NHL. I agree he does lack that spark and in the AHL he seemed to show no sign of life in him. But he's highly skilled. His wrist shot is impressive although he doesnt use it enough. His skating and speed are top notch as well. I do wonder if he has the brains or heart to desire to make the Habs, but he's got the skill and not many can say that. Perhaps a trade would be best for him but bad for us, as I can't see the return being all that good.
Well, you are a kinder man then I am. I need to see it before my eyes, work ethic. Otherwise you will be consistantly unhappy with a great player with no soul.

These guys are this close (picture my index finger and thumb a centimeter apart) to making millions of dollars, for playing a game we all love. You think it wouldn't be asking much for them to try on every shift, especially if you are a rookie.

Old
05-07-2004, 06:18 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Well, you are a kinder man then I am. I need to see it before my eyes, work ethic. Otherwise you will be consistantly unhappy with a great player with no soul.

These guys are this close (picture my index finger and thumb a centimeter apart) to making millions of dollars, for playing a game we all love. You think it wouldn't be asking much for them to try on every shift, especially if you are a rookie.

This is why I don't think we are seeing the same thing. I don't think it's so much a work ethic problem. I've seen him skating hard on the backcheck, and while he's not very physical (I just don't think that's his style) he does seem to work hard most of the time. What I see as the major problem is the kid seems to have zero confidence. Some may say that's just an excuse, but when you have a good shot and you look to pass instead, when you don't want to carry the puck up ice to get rid of it right away, tells me he just has no confidence in his game, which is a major part of the mental game. We'll have to see how it all works out. I like Hossa a lot, but he has not progressed in his development this season, and thats a concern for management.

As for the Kilger reference, he never had the hands that Hossa has, a big difference.

Old
05-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Rahan

I thought it was confidence too, but there's a limit to confidence problems. Now I've come to the conclusion that maybe he doesn't have the smarts needed to make it.

Old
05-07-2004, 06:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I thought it was confidence too, but there's a limit to confidence problems. Now I've come to the conclusion that maybe he doesn't have the smarts needed to make it.

That could be as well, or a combo of both.

Old
05-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Here is a name that you may find familiar...Chad Kilger.

First round pick, big guy, looked right.
Ya, but Hossa has work ethic unlike Chad!!!!

His confidence is shot.....

Old
05-08-2004, 02:46 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
I agree.

Cant wait too see him play next season in the ahl.
ME TOO !!! but if Hossa cant respond next year it sure that Gainey will trade him because next year its Hossa last chance with the HABS ! and I hope that montreal will put perezhogin in the lineup

Closed Thread